SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 9 10 11
Topic Options
#273965 - 10/21/09 09:03 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I don't know, Donny...playing everything in "C" wouldn't be much fun...and that's why I play...that's also, I imagine, why it's called playing.

I like playing in different keys, and often, I'll transpose a tune in my head, just for the heck of it.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with "C" or "G"...it's just that I find playing in other keys makes me try different runs and keeps me from staying with the same old same old.

I played a lot of years without the luxury of a transposer, and I do like the option of using it, but not all the time.

#273966 - 10/21/09 09:24 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
Dnj Offline

Well Ian it can't be any worse the playing a few notes here & there to tracks of any kind.....or singing...or just Dj'ing...it's a whole new ballgame out there for the pro working musician. Those who were lucky enough to ride the changing technology gravy train for the last 40+ years can change & blend in like a chameleon. It's inevitable for sure down the road as automation is increasingly taking over.
"Making Music" is slowly taking over for "Playing Music" sad to say.

#273967 - 10/22/09 08:46 AM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I aked a question on the Bose forum and got this reply:

Topic: Can two L1's or Compacts produce stereo?

Posted Thu October 22 2009 08:09 AM
Hi cassp,

Here is a link to search results for stereo on the L1 wiki.
http://toonz.ca/bose/wiki/inde...ereo&searchx=Search+

The L1s work great in stereo. Whether or not it is neccessary or better than mono is a personal decision.

O..

#273968 - 10/22/09 09:26 AM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
cassp Offline

And here's another reply I received today.
Topic: Can two L1's or Compacts produce stereo?

Posted Thu October 22 2009 11:18 AM
I've done it with two L1's and a Kurzweil PC2X. The stereo image was strong onstage because I was sitting between the L1's. Off stage the stereo image was far less pronounced, but very effective compared to a conventional system.

With a conventional system, if an audience member sits to the far left they can't hear the far right speaker very well, and they only hear half of the audio info. Two L1's do far better, as the closer of the L1's doesn't drown out the far L1, and the far L1 (not being as directional) has a better chance of being heard at an odd angle.

Sitting further back in the audience is very pleasing even though the stereo effect may be lost at the back of the room.

So, two L1's will be heaven for you and overkill for someone else.

That being said, I use two L1's whenever possible.

Cameron Hizer

#273969 - 10/22/09 09:56 AM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
ianmcnll Offline

I agree with what Cameron Hizer says. The stereo effect is much broader and more enhanced than a conventional system, but it ain't perfect...and no one has said that it is.

It's just better, and in my opinion, quite a bit better, and worth the extra expense.

Certainly, not everyone will want to go the extra bit, and that's their prerogative...it still sounds pretty good in mono; but, I want the best sound I can get, so I don't mind ponying up the extra loot...they pay for themselves in no time, anyway, plus, it's a tax write-off as well.

#273970 - 10/22/09 11:47 AM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
cassp Offline

A third reply...
Ken-at-Bose Posted Thu October 22 2009 02:38 PM

Adding a Bose voice to the chorus, there is no reason that two L1 Compacts won't produce a good stereo field.

As mentioned already, L1 systems in general produce quite satisfying and large stereo fields because of the radiation pattern of the systems. The Model I and Model II will produce a deeper stereo field than the Compact because the falloff of sound with distance is so gradual.

Try it some time where you stand next to one and can still hear the other!!!

Ken - at Bose

#273971 - 10/22/09 02:21 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
And, to be honest, conventional stereo PA's imaging falls off as you get further back in the room also. Whether they preserve the image as well, better or worse as a Bose stick really isn't all that important (IMO). My goal is always to provide the dancers and first row or two the best audio they can possibly hear. They are the ones primarily into you, anyway!

It's one of the reasons I'm not all that into Bose, anyway... my audiences seem to like it 'hot' on the dancefloor and at conversational levels further back. YMMV... if you WANT even coverage, there is nothing better, IMO.

But I'm glad that the stereo issue is being taken seriously. We have a problem here at SZ that ONE person's opinion is often taken blindly as fact (it's often presented as such!), rather than an opportunity to actually DISCUSS the issue, and maybe actually TRY OUT the question. We usually find out the answer is far more complex than some would make it.

#273972 - 10/22/09 06:19 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
zuki Offline

I think I've heard enough here to go for (2) Compacts down the road. The good news is being in no hurry because the one unit continues to impress me with each performance. In fact, not really sure if I'd ever need 2 - it is that awesome. I sure am glad I stuck with it and listened to others. It's a great feeling knowing I'm walking in with an awesome PA that will make my music sound utterly terrific - sound-wise that is

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#273973 - 10/22/09 07:24 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
A third reply...

As mentioned already, L1 systems in general produce quite satisfying and large stereo fields because of the radiation pattern of the systems. The Model I and Model II will produce a deeper stereo field than the Compact because the falloff of sound with distance is so gradual.

Yep, it seems there are a lot of Bose users that have discovered, or are discovering the benefits of going in stereo.

The only time I will use a conventional stereo speaker system, is when I'm doing restaurant gigs, and I want the sound to project only so far, allowing those who want to listen to the music to sit closer, and the ones who wish to have conversation, to sit further away.

I'll probably be using the Bose L1's mostly for concert type gigs, but I'm sure they'd work pretty darn good for dance gigs as well.

Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 9 10 11

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online