SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#273955 - 10/21/09 10:16 AM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Because a PA isn't an instrument. It's just something that takes the 'important' thing, the instrument or voice, and tries to present it louder and clearer. Some have had somewhat 'signature' sounds but not to the extent where someone is going to stop and say, "wow, listen to that EON wail".

chas

This was in response to Diki's post.

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 10-21-2009).]

#273956 - 10/21/09 11:01 AM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
but none of the PA's of the period have really stood the test of time...?

They even had vertical column line arrays back then, but you don't see anyone playing through them any more

Actually, the Bose L1, and maybe the Compact, will have some sort of status someday...they definitely have their own sound, and cult following.

Guitar amps like the Fender Twin, and Princeton Reverb have status, as does the legendary(in Canada, anyway) Traynor YGL-3 Mark III Bass Amplifier...as well as the Marshall Stacks and Vox AC-30.

Leslies are another speaker system that has reached legendary status, especially the 122 and 147.

But PA's in general...not so much.

I do remember using Altec Lansing "Voice of the Theater" cabinets...they were very popular, but not so much today.

Traynor made the columns we all hated, but couldn't afford anything better at the time.

#273957 - 10/21/09 11:23 AM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
But Bose will bring out something (or someone else will) that fixes all the L1's shortcomings, and it too will one day disappear into the dusty realm of 'you remember when the early Bose sticks had little low mids and no reverb or compression controls (and you even had to WIRE them together ) and we all used to go crazy for them?'

In the meantime, no matter HOW close a Nord gets, someone will still prefer the B3..!

#273958 - 10/21/09 11:59 AM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
cgiles Offline

Quote:
In the meantime, no matter HOW close a Nord gets, someone will still prefer the B3..!

...until they have to lift one.

chas

#273959 - 10/21/09 12:07 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
cgiles Offline

....and another thing. If a bar fight breaks out, who's a drunk going to go after, the flute player...or the guy that routinely loads and unloads a 450lb. B3 night in and night out. That's probably why there are so few flute players left .

chas

#273960 - 10/21/09 12:35 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
Dnj Offline

The future awaits us......whether that's a good thing or not as long as we're here on earth remains to be seen.I feel we are headed towards a downhill slope....
but thats me.Enjoy the ride.

#273961 - 10/21/09 01:11 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Let's put it this way... the day I see Joey Defrancesco playing a PSR rather than a B3, that'll be the day when I believe that Donny is actually RIGHT about this!

The first step down the slippery slope comes the day you decide to use or do what's easiest, rather than what's BEST. Some seem to have already hit bottom...

#273962 - 10/21/09 02:28 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
124 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
We even had our own Hammond organs here in Canada...the Northern Hammond....similar to a C-3.

WOW! Did it have anti-freeze in the tonewheel drive shaft?

#273963 - 10/21/09 03:39 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
The first step down the slippery slope comes the day you decide to use or do what's easiest, rather than what's BEST. Some seem to have already hit bottom...

Ah, yes, Diki, you're quite right...I've been sliding for years.

I'm using the best of "the easiest rather than the best"....a 25 lb arranger.

I also drive a Honda Accord instead of a Mercury Park Lane, and yes, I have oil heat instead of a big old wood stove and all that fire wood cutting.

I'm lazy, and loving it....I don't even blink my eyes as often as I used to...

Getting to 60 yrs old was a small miracle for me, considering my past, and age brings with it that lovely feeling of not giving a large steaming turd about what others think.

When you coming to Cape Breton? I've got some mittens and a warm jacket I can lend you.

#273964 - 10/21/09 07:44 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
Dnj Offline

I agree....playing everything in C using the transpose through a Bose system has got to be pure heaven for a Singer. Sing in G play in C no problem just a few button clicks and it's done.I see this being done more & more all the time out there.
Talk about easy....who cares as long as it sounds good. Ahhhhhh life is good.

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online