SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#271837 - 09/23/09 04:39 AM Axiom Pro 61 as an arranger?
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
Hi everyone!

I just received my new Axiom Pro 61 Midi controller and was amazed as to how well built it is. I love the keybed! The overall construction of this keyboard can not be compared to any other m-audio board I have owned. I do own a few others.

I am using it with Cubase and Logic and also Live but found the Mac Demo for One Man Band and discovered it plays as an arranger very nicely. It is nice to have a device that can do it all. It has great potential for creating your own custom arranger keyboard!

They Hypercontrol just plain out works. Sets up exactly as advertised in all the programs I have. I like the 4 zones in which you can set the keyboard to up to 4 zones or layer the sounds. It has 50 preset save areas. You can control these presets from a key assign above the board so if playing live you can switch them. You can control what instruments you use right from the keyboard. Choosing one from the DAW will bring it up and all its edit functions on the keyboard display.

I am just learning how to use this controller and so many of its functions I am not able to figure out yet. It has, by far more possibilites than any other midi controller I have used.

There are many instruction videos out there that are very informative on some of its functions which has helped. Most are on the M-Audio TV page.

Any thoughts on the board would be appreciated!

-LindaFus

#271838 - 09/23/09 07:53 AM Re: Axiom Pro 61 as an arranger?
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Linda
Congrats on the Axiom Pro. I have had the plain Axiom 61 for awhile, and have found it's functionality to be very good. My first was a DOA and had to return it.

As for the Pro, it is twice the wight and money, and am sure it is far more advanced. I thought about one, but can't justify it ,as I seldom use my Receptor. I would be interested in how good the auto mapping is. There are a few on the forum that use softsynths.
Good luck
Bernie

#271839 - 09/23/09 09:25 AM Re: Axiom Pro 61 as an arranger?
Musicman22 Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, Fl.
LindaFus

Can you please explain how you use the Axiom Pro 61 as an arranger keyboard?

Thanks

Peter

#271840 - 09/23/09 10:12 AM Re: Axiom Pro 61 as an arranger?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Musicman22:
LindaFus

Can you please explain how you use the Axiom Pro 61 as an arranger keyboard?

Thanks

Peter

All you need to know about using a controller as an arranger can be found on these arranger software sites.
http://www.1manband.nl/omb.htm
http://www.live-styler.de/home/

Regards

Bill

#271841 - 09/23/09 10:30 AM Re: Axiom Pro 61 as an arranger?
LindaFus Offline

Hi,

The automapping (Hypercontrol) works well. There are files included with the board for several different software packages - Logic, Reason, Pro Tools, Cubase and I think Sonar. Ableton Live sets up with no file. Just need to setup the midi settings to Axiom Pro and Hypercontrol and it works great. After installing these files on the PC for your chosen DAW, you plug in the Axiom and it maps most of the buttons including the trasport buttons on the keyboard without doing anything further. The sliders work the knobs all work and you can assign ascii keys for other functions.

The keyboard display is nifty. It displays most of the fuctions being used in the DAW and you can edit those functions from the board itself instead of using the pc keyboard.

Using One Man Band on the mac allowed me to use the Axiom as an arranger keyboard. You can map the ASCII keys on the board to functions like - Intro - Fill ins etc instead of using the pc keyboard. Doing this does makes it like a custom created arranger keyboard. I am not aware of any other arranger software programs for the mac out there. The more I fiddle with this board the more I find it can do.

I will be playing with it more over the weekend and will pass anything new I discover on.

If anyone else has delved further into this board please share your info.

I am not an expert at this, so I am limited in answering questions but I am learning. The Synthbbs has always been a place to go to learn and share no matter whether you are a professional musician or a hobbyist like myself. Hopefully, I will be able to gain more knowledge from those that are willing to share theirs.

Thanks,

-Linda

#271842 - 09/23/09 11:41 AM Re: Axiom Pro 61 as an arranger?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:
I seldom use my Receptor.

Any particular reason?

#271843 - 09/24/09 04:21 AM Re: Axiom Pro 61 as an arranger?
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Diki
The answer is that I have not spent enough time with KontaktII and Colossus to achieve articulations suitable for gigs, eg delayed vibrato. THE B4II is great and no problem, but I have Nord Electro II,Technics KN7000 and the Roland G70 to handle organ.

I jumped onto the Receptor thinking that I am investing in non obsolescence. Perhaps ,but the learning curve is pretty steep. So it is like a patient virgin waiting for me to have some sort of intercourse with her ,alas ,it never happens. I am thinking ,one day , an app will come along to make the Receptor as easy as hardware(lots of luck). It is a Rev B with 1GB and maybe 50 hours on it.

Yes ,I'm a gear junky

#271844 - 09/26/09 12:14 PM Re: Axiom Pro 61 as an arranger?
Musicman22 Offline

LindaFus

What I'm not getting is when you go out to a gig, do you have to bring your laptop loaded with "One Man Band" which is connected to the Axiom and you then you activate all your styles from the Axiom?
Also, what exactly is Hypercontrol?

#271845 - 09/26/09 12:43 PM Re: Axiom Pro 61 as an arranger?
Musicman22 Offline

LindaFus

What I'm not getting is when you go out to a gig, do you have to bring your laptop loaded with "One Man Band" which is connected to the Axiom and you then you activate all your styles from the Axiom?

#271846 - 09/26/09 12:53 PM Re: Axiom Pro 61 as an arranger?
LindaFus Offline

Musicman22,

What gigs? I am a hobbyist. Not a professional? I play in my home. However, depending on the kind of professinal musician you may be, would determine whether a midi setup would work on the road for you. I would venture a guess that a laptop would be used to be portable. And yes, you would use your OMB to play the styles. Since the keyboard allows ASCII assignments you could assign buttons on the Axiom and bring the styles up from the Axiom pro instead of the laptop.

Hypercontrol is an exclusive function of the Axiom pro that allow the DAW to setup the keyboard assignments without any help from the user. It auto assigns the buttons for you.

Here is a link for more info on this neat device: There is a video link off that page.
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/AxiomPro61.html

-Lindafus

Quote:
Originally posted by Musicman22:
LindaFus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online