SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10 >
Topic Options
#270297 - 08/31/09 03:49 PM ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Announcing the September 2009 SZ eJam - #4. This is not a contest but an expo of the various playing and presentation styles of our SynthZone members. We want to hear YOU. Participants are asked to record an mp3 or video version of one, or all of the following songs:

And I Love Her - John Lennon and Paul McCartney
September In the Rain - Harry Warren
September Song - Kurt Weill

There are only three simple guidelines:

1. Record the song; upload to on an available internet site; post to this thread and include a link to the hosting site. Please include your ID, initials or name as part of your song title.

2. In your post please give us pertinent information, such as: instrument make, style, patches used, recording info, whatever...

3. Be polite to others. No badmouthing or sniping. If you can't be nice, please don't post.

You can play it instrumentally or with vocals, using your choice of instrument(s). Play it fancy or plain, straight or creative – you choose. Record it in one take with an antique tape recorder or in multi takes and tracks on Pro Tools – you choose.

Good luck. We’re looking forward to listening to YOUR rendition of the song(s).

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 09-01-2009).]

#270298 - 09/02/09 07:47 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cassp Offline

#270299 - 09/02/09 08:26 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
zuki Offline

Nobody can be nice

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#270300 - 09/03/09 05:19 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Nobody can be nice

I think with school starting up, seasons/schedules changing, people's routines are also changing right now.

For the hell of it I went back and reviewed the comments from the August Ejam.

Out of 74 comments-I found zero that were "not nice"

The edgiest comment I found was one by Chaz who opined that Jambalaya was, by far, the more user friendly of the two options. That wasn't directed imo at any particular performance.

It's the 3rd of September approaching a long Holiday weekend. I suspect this time next week we'll have some contributions.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 09-03-2009).]

#270301 - 09/03/09 10:02 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
If there are no (as in 'ZERO') contributions by, say, Sept. 20th, could we maybe consider another approach to song selection. There are a lot of talented people here who won't post unless there is (the choice of) a song in a genre' that they feel comfortable with. JMO, JMO, JMO, JMO......did I mention, JMO.

chas

#270302 - 09/03/09 10:03 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cgiles Offline

Oh, hope that wasn't too 'edgy'.

chas

#270303 - 09/03/09 02:12 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Cass,

I think the selection is great. And, if I get some free time in the next few days I'll fire up the office keyboard and see if I still have enough skill to record one of them. And, I promise to be nice to everyone.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#270304 - 09/03/09 03:05 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cgiles Offline

Ummmm, subtle. I'm truly sorry about your recent health problems, Gary, but I'm glad to see you're strong enough to shovel the usual sh!t. Heaven forbid someone (especially me) should suggest that perhaps we could look at other ways to increase participation in the ejam. This was not a condemnation of Cass' song selections, just an observation about what has taken place so far (not a lot). Your not-so-subtle put-downs are annoying to say the least.

Get well soon,

chas

#270305 - 09/03/09 03:19 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cassp Offline

I'm wondering why everyone is making such a big deal about the 'being nice' aspect. The write up is the same one I used for eJams 2 and 3.

chas, I would like to state for the ***th time that I am only the moderator by default; I kinda came up with the idea and most everyone has gone along with it. I have always held that I am not in charge and if anyone wants to change this concept, please be my guest. In fact chas, maybe you should take a spin at it. It may be time for a change...

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 09-03-2009).]

#270306 - 09/03/09 03:21 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, there goes that!

You know, while having a limited selection of songs might help SOME members focus, you know, there's really NO reason why anyone can't post ANYTHING here. I'm quite sure that, if you don't like any of the eJam selections chas, nobody would bat an eyelid or make a derogatory comment if you simply submitted whatever the hell you felt like

The best thing that has come out of the eJam has been a HUGE increase in members being willing to post music they have made, not necessarily the quality thereof... Participation is better than sitting on the sidelines, sniping. Even you, originally the 'I'm NEVER going to post music here' guy, came up with a contribution... And that IS a good thing. I mean, what's the POINT of musicians getting together if they don't actually LISTEN to each other's music? Just to bullsh*t each other about gear?

What a waste...

So... those are eJam SUGGESTIONS. But if none of them float your boat in any way whatsoever, post something that does. I know I will want to hear it, and if I'm not mistaken, just about everyone else here will too

Originally, I had hoped this thing would be a 'one tune' system, and the variety come from how differently we all do the one tune. But, the variety has seemed to have come in the form of song CHOICE, so what does one more tune matter?

#270307 - 09/03/09 06:14 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
travlin'easy Offline

Chas,

I was dead serious about still having the skills to play and sing. For some reason, after three weeks of doing pretty much nothing but go to doctors offices and spend endless hours waiting, I've lost some of my vocal and playing abilities. I played my first job today and I felt I was NOT up to par. Everyone loved the performance, but I didn't. I wasn't being a wise-ass, I like the songs Cass selected, and sometimes play and sing both September numbers.

Cheers,

Gary

#270308 - 09/03/09 06:52 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cgiles Offline

Gary, if that's the case, then I apologize. There's been a recent rash of people responding not to WHAT was said, but WHO said it. I would think Diki, of all people, could relate to that. Think I'll do everybody a favor and just stay out of the 'ejam' discussions. I thought both enthusiasm and participation was low and that maybe we could look at ways to improve both. Truth is, I like all three of those songs, but they might not be ones I would choose to post. I thought there might be others who felt the same and that perhaps we could look at another way of getting them to post their music rather than waiting for months for a tune to show up that they felt comfortable with.

Again, apologies if I misread your post.

chas

#270309 - 09/03/09 07:09 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Bill in Dayton Offline

Hang in there, Gary. I'm sure there's a correlation to taking "X" amount of time off and not feeling yourself until "Y" amount of time passes.

You had a heart attack, pal. There's a lot going on right now. Are you at your best? Probably not...give it some time-you'll be fine...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#270310 - 09/03/09 07:42 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
I think with school starting up, seasons/schedules changing, people's routines are also changing right now.

For the hell of it I went back and reviewed the comments from the August Ejam.

Out of 74 comments-I found zero that were "not nice"

The edgiest comment I found was one by Chaz who opined that Jambalaya was, by far, the more user friendly of the two options. That wasn't directed imo at any particular performance.

It's the 3rd of September approaching a long Holiday weekend. I suspect this time next week we'll have some contributions.

I was only kidding!

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#270311 - 09/03/09 08:07 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cassp Offline

chas - you have me wondering maybe what you were smoking or drinking when you responded to Gary's post. I didn't see anything there to get riled about. Just an observation.

Gary - as a heart attack, stents and eventual by-pass survivor (2001) let me say that the first three to four months are important in rebuilding your strength and stamina. You should feel pretty good by 6 months and actually look back in a year and say to yourself that you couldn't believe how far away you were from 100% until then. Keep up the good work and take care of yourself.

#270312 - 09/03/09 08:35 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cgiles Offline

Cass, I don't smoke, drink, or do drugs, so my mind is usually pretty clear......but thanks for your concern about my mental state. BTW, I didn't think my original suggestion was THAT bad. Where was all that righteous indignation when one of our 'treasured members' decided to scam, embarrass, demean, and deceive, the entire board with borderline psychotic behavior; but now it seems everthing is hunky-dorry again. Ahhh, how soon we forget. Fool me once..........

chas

#270313 - 09/03/09 09:04 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Cass, I don't smoke, drink, or do drugs, so my mind is usually pretty clear......but thanks for your concern about my mental state. BTW, I didn't think my original suggestion was THAT bad. Where was all that righteous indignation when one of our 'treasured members' decided to scam, embarrass, demean, and deceive, the entire board with borderline psychotic behavior; but now it seems everthing is hunky-dorry again. Ahhh, how soon we forget. Fool me once..........

chas

Your original post wasn't the one that provoked Cass' response. The indignation that many of us felt when reading your post to Gary, was. You've issued Gary a qualified apology, "If that's the case-(what, you think he's making it up?)...that's cool.

Regarding Donny...he was busted...he got caught-someone turned him in and Nigel decided it was proper to ban him for a time. That time is over and he's welcome back but expected to not repeat that behavior. There was plenty of comments here and there about it but it time to move on. We're guilty as a community (myself included) of beating a dead horse for much longer than it deserves.

Like I said...IMO, people aren't sending in tunes because of any one reason-the time of year, kids back in school, holiday weekend...and sure...maybe the tunes won't produce a big turnout. I think we'll get a healthy number as they're pretty mainstream for many SZ-ers...

Cheers-

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#270314 - 09/04/09 04:59 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cgiles Offline

Well thank goodness we've got YOU to provide clarity for the rest of us dunces....not to mention providing the moral high ground for the rest of us to aspire to. As far as "beating a dead horse", I think the punishment should fit the crime, and on a board such as this, what was perpetrated on the membership was as bad as it gets. I can't help but wonder if you'd be as charitable or forgiving if it had been me (or Diki) who had done such a thing.

Ok, here's what I read into Gary's post (remembering that we have a 'history'). 'How dare chas question the song selection process. I'll not only affirm the song choices but drag myself out of my sick bed and post one, thereby proving once again that chas is full of crap' or something to that effect. I never questioned Gary's condition or (impaired) ability to play at his normal level. I've been there and am always within arms reach of nitro pills 24 hrs a day. I sympathize with anyone who has been through the experience. As far as a 'qualified' apology, it's like saying "I'm sorry if I stepped on your toe", implying, of course, that if I didn't step on your toe, I have nothing to be sorry for.

Now that I have explained by reaction to Gary's post (justified or not), I hope this will deter any other sanctimonious hypocrites from jumping into the frey.

chas

BTW, which one are you going to post? I can't wait for that special 'Bill Corfield' touch.

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 09-04-2009).]

#270315 - 09/04/09 06:54 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Dnj Offline

Excellent.....17+ posts and NOT one song posted. Everyone plays songs every day but to post a song here is a fiasco. There must be a reason.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-04-2009).]

#270316 - 09/04/09 08:37 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Excellent.....17 oposts and NOT one song posted.

Well, as 'opost' #18, maybe YOU could 'opost' something. That'll give the rest of us something to shoot at....uh shoot FOR.

chas

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 09-04-2009).]

#270317 - 09/04/09 08:48 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Dnj Offline

Chas After all the past BS I wouldn't post a note on here..........I'll tell ya what when Diki or Russ posts a song ..I'll follow suit hows that? Until then forget it, not worth the aggravation..

#270318 - 09/04/09 09:04 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cgiles Offline

Quote:
..........I'll ya what when ..

Uh, could you elaborate.....you know, for the benefit of our non-english speaking members....come to think of it, for our english speaking friends too.

chas (BFF)

#270319 - 09/04/09 09:27 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Dnj Offline

now is that enough english for you to understand?

#270320 - 09/04/09 10:21 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
wow... this is absolutely amazing... people reading what they want to read in someone's post, people misunderstanding what someone's response is, people not caring how they answer other people ...
You know, pretty soon SOMEONE on this forum is going to DIE and MAYBE then we will realize how precious EVERY MOMENT of life is and that not one moment should be wasted berating or belittling anyone else ...
the one thread we have in common is that to whatever varying degree we are ALL musicians ... Dammit, make some music and post it ... I could care less if it is the SUGGESTED songs or not - I just want to hear some music ...
I had about 44 downloads of the songs I last posted and MAYBE 4 people replied (and perhaps I was better off not knowing what the other 40 thought about it)... but will that stop me from posting more music NO!!! ... knock off the BS and MAKE MUSIC ... because before any of us knows it, we won't be around to do it !!!

t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 09-04-2009).]

#270321 - 09/04/09 11:13 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cgiles Offline

Tony, I'm convinced most people (well, old people anyway) die from boredom. Consider these posts therapeutic, maybe even life-saving. Remember, they could also die from the stress of taking things too seriously.

chas

#270322 - 09/04/09 01:22 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Diki Offline

How flattering... His Royal Duality won't deign to make an appearance until Russ or I post on it.

Maybe we should change the Beatles selection to "I wanna hold your hand'? Or maybe 'Nowhere Man'...

#270323 - 09/04/09 02:22 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Tony, I'm convinced most people (well, old people anyway) die from boredom. Consider these posts therapeutic, maybe even life-saving. Remember, they could also die from the stress of taking things too seriously.

chas

Sorry, chas, but I disagree with you on this one ... we've all seen a simple comment taken out of context, or totally misunderstood by a reader, lead to scathing diatribes back and forth and before we know it we've lost another valuable contributor ... and we old folks won't die of boredom if we are listening to some music posted by members ...
And, yes, some of us do take things too seriously, so why not provide us with some lighthearted music to occupy our time ...

t.

#270324 - 09/04/09 02:35 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Nobody can be nice

See, I rest my case

#270325 - 09/04/09 03:12 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cassp Offline

Oh, shut up!

I want everyone to know that this is all in jest. I think Zuki is a great guy.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 09-04-2009).]

#270326 - 09/04/09 04:58 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
How flattering... His Royal Duality won't deign to make an appearance until Russ or I post on it.

Maybe we should change the Beatles selection to "I wanna hold your hand'? Or maybe 'Nowhere Man'...

as predicted more excuses....my offer stands.

#270327 - 09/04/09 05:35 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Diki Offline

Quote:
as predicted more excuses....my offer stands.

Only 'excuse' I see here is YOU using me and Russ as one. And, sorry, old chum, but making us listen to your entry is not an 'offer'. It's a threat

But thanks for dragging this all down to your level... "I will if you will (so will I)'

Whether you make an appearance here will have nothing to do with whether I participate in it. Unlike you, I really don't care what YOU do...

Mind you, I'd LOVE to hear what John DiLeo can do. Him being a 'newcomer' to arrangers, and all that. Under your guidance, no doubt he has progressed in leaps and bounds.

#270328 - 09/04/09 05:48 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Dnj Offline

Thank you Diki for confirming my thoughts I appreciate it..after all your the "real deal' right?

#270329 - 09/04/09 06:56 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Oh, shut up!

I want everyone to know that this is all in jest. I think Zuki is a great guy.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 09-04-2009).]

Thanks Cass - same back to you

#270330 - 09/04/09 08:12 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Chas After all the past BS I wouldn't post a note on here..........I'll tell ya what when Diki or Russ posts a song ..I'll follow suit hows that? Until then forget it, not worth the aggravation..

Its, at the very least, ironic that you of all people reference the "past BS."

BTW, Diki DID post a song last month. His version of Jambalaya was well received.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#270331 - 09/04/09 11:02 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
please gentlemenlet the trading of insults stop here...pretty please. I have heard some wonderful contributions on this thread and may contribute musically myself shortly. I have heard some incredible interpretations of songs produced for this ejam business and players that have never played here before have contributed and i was really excited about what is happening on the forum. If there have been misunderstandings about what people have posted lets just let it go. What Cass has started here is too good to get sidelined by simple misunderstandings. I am not being holier than thou. I have had my own run ins with people on this forum but please lets not dilute this thread anymore with nonsense.

#270332 - 09/05/09 09:42 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by spalding1968:
please gentlemenlet the trading of insults stop here...pretty please. I have heard some wonderful contributions on this thread and may contribute musically myself shortly. I have heard some incredible interpretations of songs produced for this ejam business and players that have never played here before have contributed and i was really excited about what is happening on the forum. If there have been misunderstandings about what people have posted lets just let it go. What Cass has started here is too good to get sidelined by simple misunderstandings. I am not being holier than thou. I have had my own run ins with people on this forum but please lets not dilute this thread anymore with nonsense.

AMEN !!!

t.

#270333 - 09/05/09 10:45 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Diki Offline

Personally, I think the John DiLeo incident to be VERY telling about the mental state of someone so self delusional that he thinks that using someone ELSE'S posting music as a pre-condition for his own participation is THEM making excuses...

Whatever meds you are on, Donny, can I suggest either upping or lowering the dosage? It's obvious they aren't helping.

Tell you what... I'll post something after John DiLeo posts some music. Now ask yourself - is this ME making an excuse to not participate, or should I blame John DiLeo for my non-participation?

Yep, that's right... It's all John DiLeo's fault, isn't it?

#270334 - 09/05/09 05:30 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
This is much more entertaining than reality TV.

Stay tuned to learn "Who will be the Synthzone Survivor"?

Jerry

#270335 - 09/07/09 07:02 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cassp Offline

Here's our first entry, by Gary Diamond, aka travlin'easy. It's September In the Rain

I'm posting because Gary is having to use a dial-up right now and it was easier for me to host it than for him to try to upload elsewhere.

I'll leave it to Gary to add his own comments.

All I will say is - GARY'S BACK! Now let the music begin...

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 09-07-2009).]

#270336 - 09/08/09 01:56 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Bill in Dayton Offline

Nice job, Gary...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#270337 - 09/08/09 03:39 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cgiles Offline

Nice vocals, very laid back. This is just my opinion, but I would scale back on the use of the strings. Nice dramatic effect bringing them in on the 2nd verse, but leaving them on makes it lose that effect. I would also have them play some kind of counter melody rather than the straight chords (to avoid a 'droning' effect). Overall, very pleasant. Wish I had that voice. In my head I know I could sing if I just had the voice .

chas

#270338 - 09/08/09 05:15 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cassp Offline

My first impression was that I was hearing Dean Martin all over again. Great vocals, laid back as chas said. Keyboard work is fine, but I know you'd like to do more - and you will as your strength and stamina improve over the next many months. Welcome back, Gary.

#270339 - 09/08/09 07:13 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks for the kudos guys.

Chas, you are right on about the strings. After listening to the song again today, I realized they were a bit much and should have been subdued and later in the song, turned off and a counter melody utilized.

I'm still not up to par with my vocals, but the docs say this will improve with the exercise program and time. The song was recorded using Mix Craft4, one take for the keyboard and one for vocals. The keyboard is a PSR-3000, used the Fast Jazz style, third variation, second OTS, tempo of 100. The mic was the Samson Q7 fired directly through the keyboard with just a slight touch of reverb.

Thanks again,

Gary

#270340 - 09/08/09 08:42 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
tony mads usa Offline

Gary... great to have you back .... nice job ...
t.
PS ... and it only took 36 posts to finally get some music ... !!!
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 09-08-2009).]

#270341 - 09/08/09 09:37 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
gilbert Offline

Loc: Oelsnitz /E Germany
Gary,
You still got it Man,So cool and laid back,could surely listen to more,Thanks for posting

gilbert

#270342 - 09/08/09 09:39 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
gilbert Offline

Loc: Oelsnitz /E Germany
Gary,
You still got it Man,So cool and laid back,could surely listen to more,Thanks for posting

gilbert

#270343 - 09/08/09 10:10 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
big741.1 Offline

Loc: Edmonton,Canada
September in the rain makes October a pain... No pain in your performance, Gary. Smooth 'n cool...

Thanks for the music,
Dan

#270344 - 09/08/09 01:04 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gary...Just Got home from work, Just REAL relaxing to listen to Your Music...Sounds Great as Usual My Friend...Nice of You to Post Also...Now off to Fedex(25 miles) to ship an XP-80 Roland I repaired for a Friend...Just Amazing what can be done with a PSR-3000 when there's Talent Involved!...Just Think of ALL THE BUCKS YOU HAVE SAVED and EARNED!...Hummmmmmm....Harold

#270345 - 09/08/09 04:17 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
124 Offline

As cassp said, you're probably not up to 100% yet, but this was up to the usual 'Diamond' standard. Good on ya!

#270346 - 09/09/09 06:55 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Dnj Offline

#270347 - 09/13/09 07:33 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Dnj Offline

Gary great job on a beautiful song!

#270348 - 09/13/09 08:57 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Gary, how dare you post music right in the middle of a BS thread!
I did enjoy your song though. You haven't lost anything.
BTW, it's a very appropriate song as it has rained here for four straight days.
I suppose I should post something, but I don't normally do these songs, and just about the last thing I want to do on my day off is learn and record a song that I won't be using much.
I enjoy the songs, but there would probably be more participation with a more "open" song choice. Maybe Rock 'n Roll one month, CW, Jazz, Standards, Waltzs, Comedy Songs on other occasions.
Just a suggestion, and I know it has been made before.
I appreciate CassP doing all the work though!
DonM

#270349 - 09/14/09 03:55 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I enjoy the songs, but there would probably be more participation with a more "open" song choice. Maybe Rock 'n Roll one month, CW, Jazz, Standards, Waltzs, Comedy Songs on other occasions.
Just a suggestion, and I know it has been made before.

Of course it has, Don, and met with a considerable amount of hostility (could just be the messenger). Since we never seem able to reach a consensus on song choice, I'll propose yet another approach. Although the opportunity to post music is always there for anyone, perhaps we could set up a dedicated post (maybe as a "sticky") for members to post any tune they'd like to showcase or even just get feedback on. It could be arranger based or not, vocal or instrumental, any genre', in fact, anything other than singing over a SMF (that's just Karaoke, as far as I'm concerned). "Theatre organ" will be allowed (despite the pain it inflicts - same goes for hip-hop ). Original compositions will be encouraged. Comments and feedback should be HONEST but not 'brutal'. Mid-eastern, oriental, and other 'ethnic' styles should be encouraged, as the exposure should help us all to enjoy and appreciate music styles from other cultures.

The idea here is that it will remove some of the notions of a 'contest' and allow members to post the music that they think will show them in the best light. I'm guessing that this has been done before and, in fact, may not produce any more member participation than the monthly 'ejam' format. I'm also suggesting that this 'permanent' post run simultaneously with the regular monthly ejam, but with the monthly ejam modified per Don's suggestion but going even further, IE not only one genre' per month, but also just one SONG per month, to get back to the original premise of looking at different approaches to the same song. THIS version should be more arranger-based which would give us more opportunity to experience styles from arrangers other than the ones we own. These are just ideas to promote more participation and encourage members to post music they may have recorded in the past (and not just for 'this months ejam'). What do you think?

chas

#270350 - 09/14/09 06:44 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Dnj Offline

Karaoke?.....hahahah thats a good one

#270351 - 09/14/09 09:49 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Karaoke?.....hahahah thats a good one

What's the matter, DNJ? Did I hit a nerve? Okay, I should have said COMMERCIAL SMF. Obviously, if YOU made it, it's just a sequence (final format is immaterial). In any case, as usual, JMO.

chas

#270352 - 09/14/09 09:55 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Dnj Offline

Sorry Chas but us every day in the trenches real players "do it all" my friend........smf's are just styles also so dont give me the holy then thou crap.....I couldn't care less how anyone plays music ....either it sounds good or it doesn't bottom line....the only thing that hits a nerve is the downfall of the SZ by all this continual BS causing the exodus of all the "REAL DEAL" members in the past year..

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-14-2009).]

#270353 - 09/14/09 12:29 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Sorry Chas but us every day in the trenches real players "do it all" my friend........smf's are just styles also so don't give me the holy then thou crap.....I couldn't care less how anyone plays music ....either it sounds good or it doesn't bottom line....the only thing that hits a nerve is the downfall of the SZ by all this continual BS causing the exodus of all the "REAL DEAL" members in the past year..

Donny, don't start this silly crap all over again. I merely stated that IN MY OPINION, singing over a commercially made midi file, is essentially, karaoke (complete, in some cases, with displayed lyrics). I could care less what you and other "REAL DEALS" (although I'm surprised to see YOU use the word "Real") do in your club act (whatever works for you, I say). But for a exercise meant to feature arranger keyboards/synths/workstations, and their players, I didn't see singing over a SMF as the best format to use towards that end. It has nothing to do with "REAL DEALS" doing it all (gosh, that's starting to sound familiar).

Look, I don't mind you criticizing me on the issues, but your post sounds like little more than rabble-rousing. Hey, it may work; let's wait and see who springs to your defense. Probably the same ones shaking in their boots over 'death panels' .

BTW, tell Fran I said Hi. I miss him (I'm sincere about that). At least with him, it was just friendly sparring and kidding around.

chas

#270354 - 09/14/09 12:59 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Dnj Offline

Guess I hit a Nerve eh?

PS as for Fran....he's done with SZ.

#270355 - 09/14/09 01:37 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Diki Offline

Thing is, chas, what you suggest (other than the 'sticky' and the site hosting this) has been possible here since Day1... and, to be honest, putting them ALL on one thread would make for a very unwieldy thread, due to the replies and critiques getting all mixed up. I like Larry "Beakybird"'s approach.... when he's got something he wants to post, he just posts it. No dedicated eJam thread, no 'Best of Larry' thread... just 'Here's my latest, what do you think?'

How different this idea is from your previous 'I would NEVER post any music here' stance

But the bottom line is, ANYONE that wants to post music here is already able to do it. The eJam has helped increase participation by simply giving a sort of focus to it. But it has NEVER been a contest, no 'winner' has been picked either by one moderator or even forum consensus. And if anyone wants to show off their arranger music here, even if it ISN'T the tunes that the eJam picked, what is to stop them?

And, don't worry about Donny. When we HEAR the 'real deal', we'll know it.

#270356 - 09/14/09 02:20 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Looks like there are two specific camps here...one small group of "purists" who try to keep use of MP3's and the like at a minimum and a probably larger group of people who think that the right thing to do is use "every trick in the book". Most of us fall somewhere in the middle.

The "right" way is to do what's right for you as a player. Problem is, the "use anything" people are always defending their approach, and the "purists" (me, included) come across as "elitists" who are implying that the other camp is substituting tricks for talent.

And, as always, there's that nagging difference between musicians and entertainers. Basically, the two sides don't like each other much.

I'll tell you that after my recent injury to my left hand and arm I wouldn't be playing much without an arranger. Serves me right for all the times I knocked them and talked about my "love-hate" relationship with them.

Donny and I are about as different as two people can be. That doesn't mean that we wouldn't enjoy a cup of coffee together or even listen to each other play. It just probably wouldn't work for us to play together.

I have my opinions about music and how it should be played, and I'm probably not going to change that or my opinion about some styles of music, kinds of equipment, "chicken hats" and the like.

But I'll be the first one to respect Donnys' right to his beliefs and way of approaching things.

Chas and I are "joined at the hip" on most matters...politics...music, etc. Frankly, it bothers me when his opinions are met with bitter, negative responses. And we would be completely compatible on the bandstand.

What's wrong with stating opinions in a respectful way and leaving it at that?

Russ

PS: (Come on you folks, you KNOW I'm ALWAYS RIGHT!) LOL!

#270357 - 09/14/09 03:11 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Dnj Offline

It's these so called two camps that have brought the SZ to it's knees plain and simple.....as for me I will listen to any kind of player of any type music,including vocals, on any instruments and appreciate the good that comes from it as I always have since I started playing at age 6...A few days ago I saw a Foreigner Concert and was blown away by the energy and sound these guys put out, by far best lead vocals I've heard in a long while.....although I'm not a rocker per-say I really enjoyed the good music same as I would a Jazz or Opera performance because I was taught to embrace all music and draw the good from it as it pertains to my own musical performance. As far as that Coffee throw in a few donuts and I'm there, I'm sure we can teach each other a few tricks about playing music!

#270358 - 09/14/09 03:35 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Diki Offline

Personally, I don't care WHAT anyone uses on a gig. Our job then is to entertain our audiences, in any fashion that actually leaves them entertained. And there are MANY ways to skin a cat

BUT.... this ain't a gig. This is a forum of arranger players. This is NOT your average Friday night animal house! So, when posting music FOR EACH OTHER,, surely a higher standard could be applied? I can't for one minute think that nobody cares in the least whether a posting here is little more than karaoke. We are surely looking for example in the field of playing an arranger. Yes, this can include SMF play, but, let's face it, if little of the SMF is anything to do with you, what is the point of posting it? "Here's something played by someone else, that I'm singing over"... is that what we REALLY want to hear from each other?

This, by the way, is NOT a put-down of Donny, or anyone else using commercial SMF's. As he said, 'out in the trenches' you use whatever you got. But this AIN'T the trenches. This is 'behind the lines'. This isn't a singers' forum. It is an arranger players' forum. Surely, what we want to post here ought to be arranger PLAYING?

Personally, I am a BIG user of SMF's. I've said many times how stymied I feel, being unable to use my LH in any conventional sense because I HAVE to input the damn chords (over and over on repeated sections!). But I use a large percentage of self created SMF's, either made from scratch, or derived from arranger play, then edited. I don't think anyone would be all that interested in hearing how well I've tweaked a commercial SMF, it simply isn't arranger playing, unless I strip it down to its' absolute basics and play as much as I would at least play in a full live band.

On the gig, it's all good... but here? I would HOPE that we actually DO want to hear each other play.

#270359 - 09/14/09 03:39 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Dnj Offline

I think you'll get your wish when the chord sequencer is RE-released again.The underlying no respected put down of using smf's is always there in some peoples mind.

#270360 - 09/14/09 03:41 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi ,
like the idea of arranger based song. It would be interesting to hear the different styles used for the same song on the various keyboards members own.

Non pro's could pick up great keyboard playing tips from the pro's.
Stuff like when to change melody instruments so that it doesn't sound corny
( I've heard arranger songs where the player changes the instrument every 4 to 8 bars) .
Also where fills should be used etc etc

Be great to hear how the pro's do it .

This sort of useful information can't really be be picked up if members are using totally different forms of recording their songs.

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
THIS version should be more arranger-based which would give us more opportunity to experience styles from arrangers other than the ones we own. These are just ideas to promote more participation and encourage members to post music they may have recorded in the past (and not just for 'this months ejam'). What do you think?

chas

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 09-14-2009).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#270361 - 09/14/09 05:28 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
del1235 Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
Hi,

Very glad to hear Gary is feeling better; and I liked his vocal version of "September In The Rain. I also really appreciate all Gary has done for the PSR groups; and "well done" on his upload.

I played a quick-record instrumental version of the same song on the PSR3000 and hope it plays OK for ya'll.

MP3: http://www.4shared.com:80/file/132670941/a24d5389/September_In_The_Rain.html

Best regards,

Del

#270362 - 09/15/09 03:39 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Bill in Dayton Offline

Del-It played and sounded just fine. I liked your RH work...

Question on the variation you used. Sounds like you picked one particular variation and stayed with it the whole tune. Why did you choose that approach vs. using 2 or more variations of the same style?

Thanks for sharing...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#270363 - 09/15/09 04:04 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Sorry Chas but us every day in the trenches real players "do it all" my friend........smf's are just styles also so dont give me the holy then thou crap.....I couldn't care less how anyone plays music ....either it sounds good or it doesn't bottom line....the only thing that hits a nerve is the downfall of the SZ by all this continual BS causing the exodus of all the "REAL DEAL" members in the past year..

I've got to see a few different club acts over the last few weeks and in two different cases they triggered smf's, then sang over it and played a single note lead over the instrumental section. They didn't play a single chord for the songs I watched. Its hard for me to look at them in the same light as someone who's playing every chord and leads over styles, all while singing.

There is an act around here, haven't seen them since the Holidays who do use smf's very effectively. They're a duo...one plays guitar and the other sax...they really add something consequential to the midi file. Big difference if you ask me.

Would the "BS causing the exodus of all the "REAL DEAL" members in the past year" include members behavior like the creation of J. DiLeo? I think its hypocritical of you to put comments like that out there after the stunt you pulled. The amount of drama you yourself have supplied to the SZ is significant. How many times did you post a tune, then delete a tune...over and over again? How many times have you left?

When I joined SZ a few years ago, I found you to be a "personality" with loads of great information and ideas. For whatever reason, your SZ persona has degraded into something more of an "caricature with an attitude" which isn't nearly as appealing.

A lot of us would like to see that old Donny come back...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#270364 - 09/15/09 08:35 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
124 Offline

Thanks for your rendition, Del. I'm a great believer in what I call 'aural' or 'sonic' interest, i.e., the use of breaks, fills, variation changes, phrasing, all the little and not so little things that take a performance into the next level, so to speak.

I think Bill's comment was on the right track, because I also felt that as pleasant as your version was, it could have used some fills and variation changes, and maybe a change of lead voice at times to a more out-front sound. I mean, all your basics are there, so it's all in the window dressing, a bit of sparkle, if you will. Hope you find these comments useful, and it's good that you posted some actual music. Rock on.

#270365 - 09/15/09 04:05 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cassp Offline

68 posts and only three songs. I never imagined this concept turning into another SZ pissing contest, but you've/we've become so creative at it. I will not make any more eJam suggestions, as I see many want it to go in a different direction; that's fine with me. Thanks for the ride.

#270366 - 09/15/09 04:19 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Dnj Offline

Cass at least you tried....sorry it didn't work out as planned. Thanx for the effort.

#270367 - 09/15/09 07:38 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
.... This is NOT your average Friday night animal house! .....

It's NOT?!?!?!? .... well I guess you're right Diki ... it's far BELOW average ...

I REALLY wish we could just stop the madness .......

t.

#270368 - 09/15/09 07:57 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
124 Offline

Just in case these last three posts were engendered by my comments on Del's piece (I don't think they were), which I started by saying that Bill was on the right track, perhaps it's worth clarifying that my agreement was with Bill's post re. Del's rendition, not the subsequent one about 'pulling stunts' etc. I was concentrating on the music and my comments were given in the best possible spirit, nothing else.

More music anyone? Please.

#270369 - 09/15/09 08:35 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
tony mads usa Offline

Del ... thanks for posting ... a nice easy listen ... nothing fancy, but hey, who says it HAS to be fancy - but Bill in Dayton and 124's comments are right on ... and at least I was able to listen to some music ...
thnx again,
t.

#270370 - 09/15/09 10:32 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
razoo_26 Offline

Loc: Billing, MT, USA
Hi All,

I would like to sincerely thank everyone on SZ for educating me on arrangers and helping make my decision on which one to buy. I would also like to thank everyone who posted performances on the last 2 months ejam. If I could perform I would post and maybe also critique. I hope someday to be able to play half as good as the most inexperienced of any of the performers I have heard.

Here's one thing I can critique on:
There was nothing in Gary's 1st post.
It's obvious that Chas has been grinding his ax for a long time and is now frustrated that it is cutting nothing but thin air.

Diki's right... perform something else if you don't feel comfortable with the suggestions. Maybe start a new thread with an alternate format if you have another idea.
When I was a kid we played a game called "add-on" while bouncing on the trampoline. One person would start with a seat bounce, the next person would do a seat bounce plus a bellyflop, the next would add a different trick to that, and so on. In this vein any SynthZoner could post a song and challenge others to do the same song in a different style.

Last I would like to thank Cass for the time and effort he puts into the ejam.
Don't get discouraged, any given month will be better than another, let things run there course and (like water off a duck's back) keep doing the ejam every month. I enjoy and appreciate them and I think most everyone else does also.

Thanks again,
Raz

#270371 - 09/16/09 06:59 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by razoo_26:
I hope someday to be able to play half as good as the most inexperienced of any of the performers I have heard.

Well, shades of John Dileo. Such humility....excuse me while I go outside and throw up. Let's see now, you can't play, you can't sing, you can't critique, and you don't have an arranger, but you feel confident enough to come onto an arranger keyboard forum and make a clear declaration about my motives. Must be a wonderful gift.

Quote:
Maybe start a new thread with an alternate format if you have another idea.

Wow, what a novel concept. I can't believe no one else thought of it before now. Hey, keep those unique new ideas coming.

Quote:
Last I would like to thank Cass for the time and effort he puts into the ejam.
Don't get discouraged, any given month will be better than another, let things run there course and (like water off a duck's back) keep doing the ejam every month.

Sage advice, and very inspiring......whoops, hold on, I've got to run outside again..........Ok, I'm back. NOW, let's for once be honest about this whole 'ejam' thing. Without wishing to diminish Cass's efforts on behalf of the so-called 'ejam', the truth is, what is involved is starting a new post once a month (something most of us do anyway) with three song selections for members to submit.....or not. Likely as not, these song choices, no matter WHAT they are, are only going to satisfy 5% of the potentially-posting membership. So the main value of this monthly effort is to try to promote and maintain an interest in sharing member-produced music. The real-world result is usually a pissing contest of one sort or another, general disagreement on song choice or approach, the usual (and very predictable) commentary by DNJ, and (finally) very little music. This thing has become nothing more than a vehicle to castigate members we don't like while praising ones that we do. Nearly 70 posts and only three contain music. In the words of the "REAL DEAL", 'nuff said.

chas

#270372 - 09/16/09 07:19 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
razoo_26 Offline

Loc: Billing, MT, USA
keep swinging that ax.
that's what your good at.

#270373 - 09/16/09 07:36 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cgiles Offline

Quote:
keep swinging that ax.
that's what your good at.

Well, it's nice to be good at SOMETHING. Listen Razoo_26 (what happened to Razoo 1 thru 25?), I don't know when you decided to single me out as a target, but if you think I'm going to let you take shots at me without responding, think again. BTW, if you're as bad as you proclaim, shouldn't you be spending all this time and energy on music lessons? Just saying.

......and for the record, the only way you're likely to get anything more than the current level of participation, would be if Nigel decided to ban any member that had not posted a song in the prior 30 days.

On another note, how come so many people of the same persuasion (supposedly English speakers), substitute "your" for "you're".

chas

#270374 - 09/16/09 08:19 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Dnj Offline

1,2, cha, cha, cha

#270375 - 09/16/09 12:29 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cassp Offline

chas, are you trying to kill this thread? Either way, you're doing a great job of offending anyone who posts lately. I've totally lost interest in my own idea, how shitty is that?

My only suggestion is that if you or anyone wish to continue this condemnation of WHATEVER, then please start your own thread. It would certainly be nice if we could hear some music before the end of the month.

Someone could post a song with the correct title. The next song has to contain at least one main word taken from the first title...

ex. And I Love Her = Love Is a Many Splendoered Thing = Wild Thing = A Walk On the Wild Side = Sunny Side of the Street...

But then again, that's probably not what anyone wants either.

and BTW, I never misuse your and you're!

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 09-16-2009).]

#270376 - 09/16/09 01:20 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Diki Offline

I hate to pile on at this point, but yes, I think at this point that maybe you could take this to another thread, chas. What got out of hand here was your initial posts extrapolating a lot from Gary's initial posts, and the bitch-fest that ensued is perhaps putting a sour taste in everyone's mouth, despite the thread being pretty innocent to start with.

Maybe there's a way we could get around all this? Cassp, why not start an 'eJam entries ONLY' thread, then an eJam COMMENTS thread separately..? Ask the membership to ONLY post their entries and NO commentary (of other people's work) on the one thread, and have another (or several) for people that want to comment... separate the men from the boys, so to speak!

This might at least provide an oasis of calm amidst the sturm und drang of the rest of this forum!

#270377 - 09/16/09 01:39 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cgiles Offline

Et tu, Brute.

#270378 - 09/16/09 01:49 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Dnj Offline

Nigel get the lock !!

#270379 - 09/16/09 02:07 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Diki Offline

But Brutus is an honorable man...

And Donny...

One two, John DiLeo.

Isn't it about time you started behaving on this forum DIFFERENTLY to how you did before that debacle? Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it...

Like Bill said
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
Would the "BS causing the exodus of all the "REAL DEAL" members in the past year" include members behavior like the creation of J. DiLeo? I think its hypocritical of you to put comments like that out there after the stunt you pulled. The amount of drama you yourself have supplied to the SZ is significant. How many times did you post a tune, then delete a tune...over and over again? How many times have you left?

When I joined SZ a few years ago, I found you to be a "personality" with loads of great information and ideas. For whatever reason, your SZ persona has degraded into something more of an "caricature with an attitude" which isn't nearly as appealing.

A lot of us would like to see that old Donny come back...

I am done with 'One two cha cha Donny', but I would REALLY like the old Donny back too...

#270380 - 09/16/09 02:19 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cassp Offline

Diki, I think your ejam ideas have great merit. Please go ahead and set it up, and change the song format too. I'm going to sit back and let someone else (like you?) take the helm for a while.

#270381 - 09/16/09 02:22 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Dnj Offline

Yeah right ....I wouldn't take advice from anyone, or the real deal or whom ever other holier than thou imaginary thinks they can play Mr Know it alls here any day of the week....lets face it, this forum is a mere shell of what it once was way before JD hit the airwaves.... its very sad. I'm so disgusted I have decided not to attend the January jam also again sorry. My true SZ friends that I have made here I only speak with via private email or phone..

keep up the good work.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-17-2009).]

#270382 - 09/16/09 02:56 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Diki, I'm going to sit back and let someone else (like you?) take the helm for a while.

Cass you tried & its not your fault it wasn't a total success.....this is more proof that there is a great need for a assistant GA Forum Moderator who can delete or move to the proper forum at will any OT post or anything that is in appropriate without a reason other then the "POSTING ETTIQETT" rules which should be posted at the top of the forum
(Sticky) were broken. And watch how fast all this BS goes away and back on track.......like many other forums......someone should be selected aside from Nigel to have the authority do this only on the GA forum only..

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-16-2009).]

#270383 - 09/16/09 03:06 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Diki Offline

Well sorry, Donny, we tried...

Just out of curiosity, does the term 'real deal' simply apply to folks who agree with you 100% and fawn over everything you do? Because, no offense, but if you refer to those that CAN play well, work steady (or used to before they retired) and are pretty knowledgeable, you have dissed your fair share of THEM But, of course, their leaving had nothing to do with YOU, did it?

What's missing here is any sense of SHAME. At least the guy that posted a fake tune here and claimed it as his own work had the good grace to leave and not come back for a very long time. But here you are, just acting as if 'who, me?' nothing had happened, without even an apology of any kind. I am pretty certain you have no shame for your actions whatsoever.

This, above all the other good reasons, would exclude you from any list of the 'real deal' here. If you miss all the others (some of which were driven away by your own antics) so much, why not join them..? Or rejoin the forum as more than just a pot-stirrer and provider of URL's that anyone with Google can look up for themselves. You were once a valuable contributor here, but 'caricature' is starting to be a pretty apt description.

#270384 - 09/16/09 03:31 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Dnj Offline

Ok hows this I'll back out and leave you boss Diki......I'm sure everyone will be very happy to hear you spew you dribble on anything and everything ...."real deal" your not as some might think by prior posts but not I...you certainly have taken all the fun out of a joyous forum......you aint fooling anyone. Enjoy yourself.....maybe I'm the only one to tell you this but believe me I'm not alone.

btw what does this have to do with the Ejam for September?

#270385 - 09/16/09 03:53 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Diki Offline

Sorry, were you talking to yourself or me?

I get so easily confused.

#270386 - 09/16/09 04:05 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
I'd like to know who or what the "REAL DEAL" is. It's such a grandiose title that one can only expect perfection and nothing but.

As for an assistant-Mod, someone who deletes posts, well, I can think of only ONE who's the "REAL DEAL" in doing just that.

I can understand Chas's reaction. If we condemn him then we might as well condemn ourselves. At least he doesn't hide his real feelings behind some smileys.

Nigel is doing a great job already. It's usually after things have gone bad that a thread gets started to laud him. Bit pathetic, isn't it? They usually do that at funerals but by then it's too late. In short, it's not up to us to tell him how to run or manage his forum.

JMHO

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#270387 - 09/16/09 04:50 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:
I'd like to know who or what the "REAL DEAL" is. It's such a grandiose title that one can only expect perfection and nothing but. JMHO Taike

http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/019944.html

#270388 - 09/16/09 05:46 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:
I'd like to know who or what the "REAL DEAL" is.

It's a title that one NEVER takes for oneself. Unlike Mr Pesce.

But, in all fairness, Donny's SINGING really IS the 'real deal' He has a great voice, no doubt about it.

I'm a reasonable trombonist, too. But that doesn't say ANYTHING about whether I can play an arranger as well...

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 09-16-2009).]

#270389 - 09/16/09 10:14 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)

Nah...wrong reference. There's a difference between being called the "REAL DEAL" and crowning oneself as such.

While Jimmy Smith -to name just one- may have been called the "REAL DEAL" (so I assume), he certainly never thought of himself as being "It".

Taike

#270390 - 09/16/09 11:18 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Thank You Cass,
for trying to add something really worthwhile to the Forum.
Sorry I haven't posted this month, also haven't been able to download.
My son inadvertantly used up just about my whole month's internet allowance in a couple of days.

I'm using balance very sparingly . At 10cents per 1 mb overrun, I'm being careful.
I sure hope we have an October EJam.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#270391 - 09/17/09 09:46 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
pasadoble Offline

Loc: Portsmouth, England.UK
Guys..
Yes I have to apologise to for not contributing this month although I have been meaning to...my little jazz quartet has been busy so keyboards have never left the car...hopefully October will be quieter so look out for my input.

Rgds

Noel Jay

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online