Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#270347 - 09/13/09 07:33 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Dnj Offline

Gary great job on a beautiful song!

#270348 - 09/13/09 08:57 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Gary, how dare you post music right in the middle of a BS thread!
I did enjoy your song though. You haven't lost anything.
BTW, it's a very appropriate song as it has rained here for four straight days.
I suppose I should post something, but I don't normally do these songs, and just about the last thing I want to do on my day off is learn and record a song that I won't be using much.
I enjoy the songs, but there would probably be more participation with a more "open" song choice. Maybe Rock 'n Roll one month, CW, Jazz, Standards, Waltzs, Comedy Songs on other occasions.
Just a suggestion, and I know it has been made before.
I appreciate CassP doing all the work though!
DonM

#270349 - 09/14/09 03:55 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I enjoy the songs, but there would probably be more participation with a more "open" song choice. Maybe Rock 'n Roll one month, CW, Jazz, Standards, Waltzs, Comedy Songs on other occasions.
Just a suggestion, and I know it has been made before.

Of course it has, Don, and met with a considerable amount of hostility (could just be the messenger). Since we never seem able to reach a consensus on song choice, I'll propose yet another approach. Although the opportunity to post music is always there for anyone, perhaps we could set up a dedicated post (maybe as a "sticky") for members to post any tune they'd like to showcase or even just get feedback on. It could be arranger based or not, vocal or instrumental, any genre', in fact, anything other than singing over a SMF (that's just Karaoke, as far as I'm concerned). "Theatre organ" will be allowed (despite the pain it inflicts - same goes for hip-hop ). Original compositions will be encouraged. Comments and feedback should be HONEST but not 'brutal'. Mid-eastern, oriental, and other 'ethnic' styles should be encouraged, as the exposure should help us all to enjoy and appreciate music styles from other cultures.

The idea here is that it will remove some of the notions of a 'contest' and allow members to post the music that they think will show them in the best light. I'm guessing that this has been done before and, in fact, may not produce any more member participation than the monthly 'ejam' format. I'm also suggesting that this 'permanent' post run simultaneously with the regular monthly ejam, but with the monthly ejam modified per Don's suggestion but going even further, IE not only one genre' per month, but also just one SONG per month, to get back to the original premise of looking at different approaches to the same song. THIS version should be more arranger-based which would give us more opportunity to experience styles from arrangers other than the ones we own. These are just ideas to promote more participation and encourage members to post music they may have recorded in the past (and not just for 'this months ejam'). What do you think?

chas

#270350 - 09/14/09 06:44 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Dnj Offline

Karaoke?.....hahahah thats a good one

#270351 - 09/14/09 09:49 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Karaoke?.....hahahah thats a good one

What's the matter, DNJ? Did I hit a nerve? Okay, I should have said COMMERCIAL SMF. Obviously, if YOU made it, it's just a sequence (final format is immaterial). In any case, as usual, JMO.

chas

#270352 - 09/14/09 09:55 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Dnj Offline

Sorry Chas but us every day in the trenches real players "do it all" my friend........smf's are just styles also so dont give me the holy then thou crap.....I couldn't care less how anyone plays music ....either it sounds good or it doesn't bottom line....the only thing that hits a nerve is the downfall of the SZ by all this continual BS causing the exodus of all the "REAL DEAL" members in the past year..

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-14-2009).]

#270353 - 09/14/09 12:29 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Sorry Chas but us every day in the trenches real players "do it all" my friend........smf's are just styles also so don't give me the holy then thou crap.....I couldn't care less how anyone plays music ....either it sounds good or it doesn't bottom line....the only thing that hits a nerve is the downfall of the SZ by all this continual BS causing the exodus of all the "REAL DEAL" members in the past year..

Donny, don't start this silly crap all over again. I merely stated that IN MY OPINION, singing over a commercially made midi file, is essentially, karaoke (complete, in some cases, with displayed lyrics). I could care less what you and other "REAL DEALS" (although I'm surprised to see YOU use the word "Real") do in your club act (whatever works for you, I say). But for a exercise meant to feature arranger keyboards/synths/workstations, and their players, I didn't see singing over a SMF as the best format to use towards that end. It has nothing to do with "REAL DEALS" doing it all (gosh, that's starting to sound familiar).

Look, I don't mind you criticizing me on the issues, but your post sounds like little more than rabble-rousing. Hey, it may work; let's wait and see who springs to your defense. Probably the same ones shaking in their boots over 'death panels' .

BTW, tell Fran I said Hi. I miss him (I'm sincere about that). At least with him, it was just friendly sparring and kidding around.

chas

#270354 - 09/14/09 12:59 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Dnj Offline

Guess I hit a Nerve eh?

PS as for Fran....he's done with SZ.

#270355 - 09/14/09 01:37 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Thing is, chas, what you suggest (other than the 'sticky' and the site hosting this) has been possible here since Day1... and, to be honest, putting them ALL on one thread would make for a very unwieldy thread, due to the replies and critiques getting all mixed up. I like Larry "Beakybird"'s approach.... when he's got something he wants to post, he just posts it. No dedicated eJam thread, no 'Best of Larry' thread... just 'Here's my latest, what do you think?'

How different this idea is from your previous 'I would NEVER post any music here' stance

But the bottom line is, ANYONE that wants to post music here is already able to do it. The eJam has helped increase participation by simply giving a sort of focus to it. But it has NEVER been a contest, no 'winner' has been picked either by one moderator or even forum consensus. And if anyone wants to show off their arranger music here, even if it ISN'T the tunes that the eJam picked, what is to stop them?

And, don't worry about Donny. When we HEAR the 'real deal', we'll know it.

#270356 - 09/14/09 02:20 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the September 2009 eJam
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Looks like there are two specific camps here...one small group of "purists" who try to keep use of MP3's and the like at a minimum and a probably larger group of people who think that the right thing to do is use "every trick in the book". Most of us fall somewhere in the middle.

The "right" way is to do what's right for you as a player. Problem is, the "use anything" people are always defending their approach, and the "purists" (me, included) come across as "elitists" who are implying that the other camp is substituting tricks for talent.

And, as always, there's that nagging difference between musicians and entertainers. Basically, the two sides don't like each other much.

I'll tell you that after my recent injury to my left hand and arm I wouldn't be playing much without an arranger. Serves me right for all the times I knocked them and talked about my "love-hate" relationship with them.

Donny and I are about as different as two people can be. That doesn't mean that we wouldn't enjoy a cup of coffee together or even listen to each other play. It just probably wouldn't work for us to play together.

I have my opinions about music and how it should be played, and I'm probably not going to change that or my opinion about some styles of music, kinds of equipment, "chicken hats" and the like.

But I'll be the first one to respect Donnys' right to his beliefs and way of approaching things.

Chas and I are "joined at the hip" on most matters...politics...music, etc. Frankly, it bothers me when his opinions are met with bitter, negative responses. And we would be completely compatible on the bandstand.

What's wrong with stating opinions in a respectful way and leaving it at that?

Russ

PS: (Come on you folks, you KNOW I'm ALWAYS RIGHT!) LOL!

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online