SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#270027 - 08/26/09 02:06 PM Re: Goodbye T3 - hello Pa800
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think there's one MAJOR reason to go 800 over the 500, and that IS those DNC capabilities. Notice I didn't say VOICES, as, as you noted, most of them at the moment are simply re-programmed old voices.

BUT... Korg are sure to be working feverishly on new samples to leverage this technology, with a new arranger in the works. And one thing you can be sure of is that Korg will release these for their existing PA2/PA800 customers to load up into them, probably at no cost at all, or DEFINITELY much less than Yamaha are charging for a paltry ONE SA2 sound from their expansion library...

DNC, like SA2, really only shines when samples are specifically recorded for it, but it was released (for free!) halfway through the PA2/800's production cycle. So it needs a whole new set of samples to sound its' best.

I believe those are coming... And I believe that people like James (Irishacts) will be developing third party DNC sounds, something that Yamaha will never allow (their proprietary sample format is already an obstacle to getting the range of normal sample sets other keyboards enjoy, and SA2 cannot be edited).

Yes, now, there's not that much to get excited about with the DNC sounds (though they ARE an improvement), but improvement IS coming, and it will be likely to cost you a LOT less than Yamaha's expansion packs are costing THEIR customers

If I had to get a Korg right now, and couldn't afford the PA2, the only other one I would get would be the PA800. Future-proof yourself, my friend....

#270028 - 08/26/09 03:34 PM Re: Goodbye T3 - hello Pa800
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Diki,
be great if they did give us some great new voices.

On the whole, Korg has been very generous.

In the 18 months I had my PA800, 2 major upgrades.

1.51, gave us guitar mode style programming, plus 20 or so new guitar voices ( real guitar ) series.
They also upgraded a number of styles to guitar mode tracks.
Plus other stuff.

2.00 upgrade was the DNC capability.
My favourite, importing/exporting complete style as a midifile.
Some new styles.
Plus again, some other new functions.

And, ALL for FREE>

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Diki:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#270029 - 08/26/09 04:19 PM Re: Goodbye T3 - hello Pa800
vangelis Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
I would buy the PA800 over the PA500,over a few good features one being the sampler, for other people considering to buy,if the price is the obstacle I am sure you can find a PA800 on Ebay for about 2,100 or less new or open box which is like new.

#270030 - 08/26/09 04:36 PM Re: Goodbye T3 - hello Pa800
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yep, I felt that way about the G70 (two MAJOR upgrades for free) and Roland...

Since then, though, not much out of Roland except for the minor cost OS2 upgrade to E80, adding the MP3 player (and a bunch of new styles to take the sting out of the paltry $60 or so the upgrade cost).

In the meantime, Yamaha come out with two SA2 sounds for the T3 that cost $200 EACH

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 08-26-2009).]

#270031 - 08/26/09 07:31 PM Re: Goodbye T3 - hello Pa800
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Hammer, I am going to visit Rob in Corfu, Greece on Sept 8th, I (we, my wife & me)will be ther 1.5 weeks...we will have a ball with the Pa2XPRO and M3.

Diki,
Yes, I agree on what you say about the PA800 vs PA500. DNC is a very powerful feature and can be easiy used to create your own voices. Plus loading samples is important. PA2XPRO...even better yet(256MB)

Lee S.

#270032 - 08/27/09 06:30 AM Re: Goodbye T3 - hello Pa800
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
Diki
point well taken- if and when Korg upgrades voices - but for now spending $1,000 extra to have the DNC capability is more than I'm willing to do. I think I'll use the 500 as my intro budget board into KorgWorld for now. If I fall in love with the Korg then maybe I'll consider an upgrade next yr. My goal is to have Korg (Pa500) and Yamaha (S910) coexisting in my studio by the end of the year. I'm half- way there. I returned the 800 last night and now have it's little brother. It's what's best for me right now.
Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#270033 - 08/27/09 07:11 AM Re: Goodbye T3 - hello Pa800
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by CoasterTim:
Diki
point well taken- if and when Korg upgrades voices - but for now spending $1,000 extra to have the DNC capability is more than I'm willing to do. I think I'll use the 500 as my intro budget board into KorgWorld for now. If I fall in love with the Korg then maybe I'll consider an upgrade next yr. My goal is to have Korg (Pa500) and Yamaha (S910) coexisting in my studio by the end of the year. I'm half- way there. I returned the 800 last night and now have it's little brother. It's what's best for me right now.
Tim

Yes same here. I bought the pa50 first to try out Korg as I never had one. Till now I am very pleased and liked it more then the yamaha's and Rolands I had. I think I wait to upgrade when the new Korgs arrived. Till then there is much to discover on my PA50

#270034 - 08/27/09 07:36 AM Re: Goodbye T3 - hello Pa800
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Tim,
Most keyboards can be taken out of the shipping carton and played with very little adjusting. And this is what most pros want they do not to put in time understand and then adjusting.

I feel it is not possible to enjoy all that a keyboard can do without spending time. By time I am talking about 6 months or more. You can generally master the keyboard well enough in 2 to 3 weeks to play but as you keep playing the keyboard and expand what you created a while ago it gets better and better. After working on my new my Kn7 for a week I used it on a job. 2 ½ years the same keyboard was 10x better. Better sounds, styles and registrations -- and a better way to utilize the operating system.

So the question --- “Which keyboard” to buy may not be the right one. “How much time am I willing give a new keyboard” may be closer to answering your question.

It is my opinion that a Yamaha keyboard is one of those that need help coming out of the carton. But ---- the keyboard offers many, many options that will allow the creative mind to create just about anything that it can come up with.

I hope this helps, and yes I am loving my new Tyros 3, (Smile) John C.

#270035 - 08/27/09 08:56 AM Re: Goodbye T3 - hello Pa800
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Tim,

As you know I recently purchased a Korg Pa588. I considered the Pa2X Pro or even the Pa800 but I just didn't want to compromise by not having a full 88 note weighted action. I already have a good 61 note arranger that I have used several times but couldn't stand playing the non-weighted action at least when playing legit piano pieces. As for playing other sounds like organ of solo instruments i.e. trumpet, flute, etc. I don't find the weighted action to be a hindrance at all but maybe that's because I am used to weighted actions.

Regarding the additional features of the Pa2X/800; You have to ask yourself what you really need.

I don't care about sampling, the factory presets are plenty good and the synth engine is very powerful in the way of editing/creating new sounds using the vast assortment of waveforms included in ROM. I suppose if there was some specific waveforms you needed that weren't already in ROM, then the ability to sample would be useful, but for those with programming chops, there is a lot of potential for creating what you need right inside the instrument.

I do kind of miss having a harmonizer or at least a mic input with effects, although my amp has a mic input with a good assortment of digital effects so not a big deal.

The one thing that I would kind of like to have is the ability to record/playback audio files. But since I have an M-Audio MicroTrack it isn't any trouble to record the audio into that and then transfer it to my PC to burn to CD or whatever. And for audio playback, it is easy to connect my iPod to the audio inputs of the Pa588 for break music or to play along with mp3 files. So the lack of the ability built into the Pa588 still is not that big of a deal.

The other thing that would be nice is to have more than one assignable pedal input for fills, selecting variations, etc. But There are a number of MIDI footswitches available that can do the job via MIDI program changes on the Control Channel. Then again, I kick pedals for bass most of the time so my left foot is already busy holding down the bass and my right foot is normally on the sustain pedal. The button layout for fills and variations are smartly located so triggering these by hand isn't cumbersome anyway. So again, not a big deal.

What is a big deal is how good this instrument sounds, how easy it is to operate and how versatile it is. All this talk of DNC sounds, SA2 sounds, etc. personally I just don't see that as all that important. I mean the sounds as they exist in the Pa588 are very good and playable the way they are. The trick is to play the selected sound in the style of the real instrument. It always kills me when I hear someone using a monophonic instrument like sax or trumpet or whatever play chords; it immediately takes away any realism that otherwise might exist. Or playing an organ or guitar sound while using the sustain pedal. Having the extra velocity samples, or fancy algorithms to automatically select from an assortment or articulation waveforms is cool, but if the player doesn't impart the playing technique of the actual instrument, the extra stuff is worthless.

Enough of my 2 cents.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band
The Modulators

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 08-27-2009).]

#270036 - 08/27/09 09:26 AM Re: Goodbye T3 - hello Pa800
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Lee - we are planning our trip to see Rob in Corfu in late October then on to Blackpool to visit the YPKO bunch the first week of November.

I look to change keyboards because I just simply get bored with what I own at the time. I am one who also doesn't care about sampling and a lot of other features on the current TOTL offering. Once the onboard styles and sounds grow old to me I start looking around.

Like Don, I also spend hours setting up for gigs. I don't like using the same style over and over for gigs so I find different styles for various songs. Takes a lot of time but the result is well worth it.

I haven't changed keyboards often - but I am about ready again. By the way Tim, I too have considered the PA500 just to see how much I really would like to own a PA2X or even a PA800. Spending $3000.00 plus for a trial is just foolish in my way of thinking. I bought a Roland E50 - like Don found the style storage system cumbersome and when I wanted to sell it I found a buyer in just one day and got what I paid for it. Probably wouldn't happen at the $3K level.

Hammer

[This message has been edited by hammer (edited 08-27-2009).]

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online