SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#269604 - 08/24/09 12:56 PM Re: I just joined the Bose Compact Club
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Now you guys are talking about something i can associate with. That first job with the Compact was definitely of poor quality because I compromised the volumes, and I mentioned that. TODAY, I played outside under a huge gazebo, maybe 40x40 with an uncovered patio area twice that and grass covering twice that or more. I could be heard all over the outside area very clearly. Most of the people sat inside the gazebo and i had the volume up to 12 o'clock; it was strong and clear and not one person complained or covered an ear or anything. I would say the Compact can handle 150 people easily.

As for chaining two Compacts together, they're not designed for that at all. you would probably need a small stereo mixer to route the signals properly - maybe a splitter might work, I don't know. If you're running a mic thru your keyboard and cabling the keyboard in stereo you could run R/L to the respective Compacts.

#269605 - 08/24/09 01:10 PM Re: I just joined the Bose Compact Club
cassp Offline

DAY 4 with the Bose - Today we played outside and the Compact really shined. I turned the volume up one more notch and the system really responded with more clarity and presence. I must say I'm getting to like this Compact way more than I expected. It is now almost the lightest part of my setup; I hate to put it away for the next few days until the next job. I love hearing myself thru it. Today it was much better than the CM-30's have ever been. I give today an A- only because late in the set I got a slight feedback hum - I guess I need to increase the angle and separation of my mic and Compact a little more. Other than that, things went perfectly and the people were enthusiastically pleased. Several people came up and complimented me on the sound and selections. I am looking forward to playing that assisted living residence again and again.

#269606 - 08/24/09 07:32 PM Re: I just joined the Bose Compact Club
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
Not to hyjack your post but I am also a "New" Bose Compact owner. I have "Two". I use a PA2x and I am extemely pleased with my decision.
casp I believe you can Daisy chain them. The output jack on the back can go into the input of another, I believe that's in the manual. I use them in stereo directly from the PA2x outputs. Set the master volumes to 12 o'clock and control the overall volume from the PA2x ... works great, don't need a mixer.

#269607 - 08/25/09 06:20 AM Re: I just joined the Bose Compact Club
cassp Offline

JC - you are right. You can daisy chain by using the line out, but that doesn't give you stereo. You are simply feeding your mono signal to another Compact (or other source).

Two Compacts would really be attractive for larger venues. I'm thinkig of liquidating all my other equipment, but I do not forsee me playing large venues in the near future. But a second Compact is attractive, if only because of its weight to performance ratio. I'm pleasantly and totally surprised just how powerful and useful this amp is. It has exceeded my expectations in less than a week.

I was lucky to find mine on eBay for only $800. It is brand new and only two months old. I bought it from a young man needing to meet school expenses. So, for that price I feel I got a super bargain. I'm gonna keep my eyes open for a similar ToneMatch mixer deal.

#269608 - 08/25/09 06:32 AM Re: I just joined the Bose Compact Club
cassp Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Jerry,

Until my recent health problem I considered keeping my standard L1 system. However, since then I decided to sell it and purchase a second L1 compact, primarily for a backup system. And, if the need ever arises, I'll have a pair for playing park concerts that have audiences of 800 to 1,000 in attendance. I have only performed a half-dozen jobs of that size during the past decade, but they were lots of fun, particularly when the young people began dancing with the older crowd. The compact L1 continually amazes me.

Cheers,

Gary

Until yesterday I would have said that your plan is a daydream, but the value of a second Compact is definitely something to consider. I have no need for a second one myself, but two Compacts could definitely fill some large spaces with no problems. These little buggers are amazing. I've heard the L1 B1 setup and know what it is capable of, but this little brother is no imposter. It can handle most of what an L1 system can very easily. Unless you are consistently playing for over 100-150 people, a Compact should handle your needs, and two could handle the larger venues.

So much is said about the cost. Yes, the Compact is probably more expensive than most small PA systems, but their performance is remarkable and the light weight is so much appreciated.

#269609 - 08/25/09 07:15 AM Re: I just joined the Bose Compact Club
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Cass, great deal on the compact and that's good news you're happy with it your setup.

JC congratulations on the 2 compacts, great combo you've got there.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 08-25-2009).]

#269610 - 08/28/09 01:41 PM Re: I just joined the Bose Compact Club
cassp Offline

I just got done playing the scariest set in many moons. I got to the venue a 1/2 hr. early, as usual. I got everything set up and even had time to tweak the Compact and the G70. The clock hit 2:30 and I started by playing Satin Doll using my medium swing style. As I approached the end of the song I pushed my SMF list button and - lo and behold there were no SMFs. I left the memory card on the computer desk; I had edited some titles and now forgot it at home. Luckily, I keep a spare, BUT it too was at home today. The following 55 minutes were a learning opportunity, as they say. I played my way thru many songs I don't normally play and also played a few with styles I've never used; wow, was that interesting. I dug in deep and forced myself to adjust tempos on the fly (I hate tap tempo). My usual stellar job on Before You Accuse Me was an exercise in slow, medium and fast blues - each verse a little faster than the previous...

All I can say is, the G70 and the Compact sounded great and I guess I did a pretty good job too because the crowd gave me a standing ovation - actually, they were standing as we all sung God Bless America. But the did like the program very much and the AD was very enthusiastic about saying she would look for some more date for this year and secure some dates with me for next.

So my scary set turned into a fulfilling one. When you screw up, keep going and you will work your way out of a jam.

#269611 - 08/28/09 03:11 PM Re: I just joined the Bose Compact Club
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Cass,

I encountered a similar situation a couple years ago when the midi connection between my PSR-3000 and laptop failed to connect. At first I thought it was just a cable and pulled my spare out as a replacement. It too didn't connect. I performed the 2-hour job working strictly from onboard and third-party styles, didn't take a break during the entire time, and dead time between songs was, as always, less than 2 seconds. The audience loved the performance, booked me for the rest of the year, and booked all of the following year.

In my case, the keyboard's tiny midi PC board had a hairline crack that my local repair guy fixed while I waited. The board has performed flawlessly ever since.

Obviously, you delivered what DNJ frequently referred to as "the goods." Glad the L1 Compact is working out for you.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#269612 - 08/28/09 06:48 PM Re: I just joined the Bose Compact Club
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
The real value is that you know you can work your way through most anything.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online