SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#270017 - 08/25/09 08:07 PM Goodbye T3 - hello Pa800
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
I'm not sure if it was a smart move...not yet. I've been a yamaha user for so long it's a bit difficult to move on to Korg. There's a lot to like about the Pa800. The OS is not one of them. However once you get used to it, it's not that bad- just different. Korg styles vary in quality. They really shine in the ac. guitar - driven styles and a lot of the jazz styles are very good. Same goes for voices. Trumpets, brass, trombones, drums, guitars, strings, and synths are outstanding. Flutes and saxes are unacceptable to my ear. Oh how I long for that Yamaha Sweet Soprano sax. Korg really missed the mark in the sax dept.
So I was assuming that the DNC voices on the 800 would well outdo those on the 500, but basicallywhat they are is just same voices on which some are given special controls for more expression, but as far as I can tell, those bad saxes are just as bad - only with more expression/control. It's too bad because there are other features that are better than Yamaha...it seems the style loops are longer and contain more variety - plus they're not drowning in reverb- more in your face and live- feeling.
Just about everything is customizable on the Pa800 - AND upgrades, voices, and styles are free.
I'm considering taking the 800 back and trading it in for a 500, which is over $1,000 less and has the same engine as the 800 minus some features that are not that impotant to me. I look at the 500 as the "bang for your buck" version just as the S900 or now S910 is on the Yamaha side. I'll most likely end up with the korg Pa500 and Yamaha s910 when all the dust settles- two very excellent keyboards each with outstanding quality yet very different and complimentary. Maybe - just maybe I can then settle in for a while and work on that recording project I've been wanting to do- at least until the bug bites again. Thanks for reading my self-talk. It helped me, anyway.
Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#270018 - 08/25/09 08:26 PM Re: Goodbye T3 - hello Pa800
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Good luck Coaster Tim. I switched from Roland to Korg many moons ago and there are a couple things, particularly some styles, that I miss. But, I wouldn't go back. The PA800 is a fine instrument, and it doesn't hurt this old back hauling it.
Ciao,
Jerry

#270019 - 08/25/09 09:23 PM Re: Goodbye T3 - hello Pa800
vagro Offline

Loc: Argentina
Tim, it would not be a bad idea to get a Pa500 and a Psr s900. I have a 500 and I can't hear the difference from the 800's demos. The DNC sounds have not been very impressive for me at least from what's been shown in the demos so far. People in the forum say the 800 has a better sound definition but you will probably notice that if you have a 800 and 500 side by side. If you are an amateur the 500 will be more than enough for you, however you'll miss the good keybed, aftertouch and the use of the EC5 pedal. You can check in my video how the 500 sounds in this orchestra setting. Only the lower manual sounds and the middle manual oboe are not from the Pa500:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vClD9eMq10

Good luck

Victor

Korg Pa3x 61 - Mediastation X76 - Yamaha Psr s900 - Korg Tr61 - Roland PK5A - NanoKontrol - Ensoniq SQ1 - Yamaha D85 organ

#270020 - 08/25/09 09:34 PM Re: Goodbye T3 - hello Pa800
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I am a Tyros 3 owner - get that up front first. I have been seriously looking at the Korg PA2X and the Korg PA800. I am not unhappy with my Tyros 3 - just going through a time of being bored with the same old thing on a daily basis. I gig almost daily now and perhaps I am just in a rut.

I have had extensive dialogue with very serious Korg owners both new and old - none are sorry for their choices and a few are former Yamaha players. If you want to get the real scoop on the Korgs contact Rob Sharret(SP) over on the Korg forums - not much about them he doesn't know. In fact, I am planning a trip to Greece in October to spend a week with him just to learn all I can about the Korgs.

Well, tonight I played a really fun gig for about 100 folks with my Tyros 3 and Bose Compacts setup and while playing I really had to ask myself - how much better can it really get? Be that as it may - I will probably end up with a Korg just for the variety - not to get something "better" just something different.

I am going through the same ordeal of choosing between the PA2x and the PA800 like you are with the PA800 and the PA500. Not sure which way I will go. (Opinions are welcome.)

Good luck with your decision.

Hammer

#270021 - 08/25/09 09:37 PM Re: Goodbye T3 - hello Pa800
Lucky2Bhere Offline

It never ceases to amaze me how you guys know these keyboards like the back of your hand!

Coaster Tim, that was a very informative post.

Lucky

#270022 - 08/26/09 03:00 AM Re: Goodbye T3 - hello Pa800
CoasterTim Offline

Victor,
that video was amazing - well done! I am impressed with your setup too. The 500 certainly holds it's own among all it's companion boards in your arsenal. Thanks for your video and your comments.
Tim

#270023 - 08/26/09 05:14 AM Re: Goodbye T3 - hello Pa800
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Tim, I went from Tyros2 to Korg Pa2xPro, I don't regret the decision. When Tyros3 came along I was tempted, I had one home for a weekend. Bottom line I like the Pa2xPro too much to give it up. I did miss some Yamaha styles and voices particularly the ones you mentioned and especially Sweet Soprano Sax. I purchased an s900 I've got the best of both worlds for my taste. I'll be looking at possibly moving to the s910 once that's released. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Hammer to a degree the same happened to me, I got a bit tired of what was coming from Tyros2 and 50% of the sytles I used were conversions from the G70 or the Korg series. I got restless then I bought a g70, then finally moved to the PA800, when the Pa2xPro was released the 76 keys and physical vertical sliders sold me. Weight of the board is very manageable as well. None of these decisions are easy since each board is outstanding in it's own right.

Victor, incredible set up and great music, thanks for posting it.

#270024 - 08/26/09 05:38 AM Re: Goodbye T3 - hello Pa800
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Tim - I'd be interested to hear your feelings if/when you switch over to a PA500. I might be able to go to 500 myself and still keep my G70, but a PA800 requires a complete switch. I was 'this much' away from buying a 500 when I bought my last PSR3000. In less than 3 months it is gone (sacrificed for a Compact) and I am still thinking of the Korgs. If what you say about the 500 is accurate, I may just dig into my final pennies and do the deed.

Victor - that is one impressive musical opus. Thank you for sharing with us. I could never handle the necessary programming for all of those keyboards. You have done a great job.

#270025 - 08/26/09 07:16 AM Re: Goodbye T3 - hello Pa800
vagro Offline

Loc: Argentina
Tim,
Once you played the big brother downgrading to the 500 may make you feel the difference though. Of course if the money was not a problem and all the keyboards were available were I live I would have, even being an amateur player, a Pa2Xpro, a Tyros3, an E80 and an Oasys. But.... if you have to choose, as I said before, a Pa500 and a Psr S900/910 together would be a good option for those of us who don't make a living with arrangers, however you won't belong to the "elite group" in this forum .

Thank you all for your compliments. I know it's far from perfect but when I play freely the music moves my soul specially when I direct the music where I want.

Victor

Korg Pa3x 61 - Mediastation X76 - Yamaha Psr s900 - Korg Tr61 - Roland PK5A - NanoKontrol - Ensoniq SQ1 - Yamaha D85 organ

#270026 - 08/26/09 08:05 AM Re: Goodbye T3 - hello Pa800
CoasterTim Offline

I have not yet eliminated the possibility of the 588, either. It's a 500 with 88 hammer action keys. It looks ugly but sounds great. (in my not-so-humble opinion).
However I struggled with the key action when trying to play non-piano type voices especially those with velocity-controlled effects like the slide guitars. Even after setting the sensitvity at it's lowest, I had to really hit the keys hard to produce the slide effect. I will give it another try before deciding - it's a great buy right now with Korg's $400 rebate which ends next month.
Tim

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online