#268672 - 08/04/09 01:03 PM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
No comments ?????

Impuls

#268673 - 08/04/09 01:51 PM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I thought they sounded ok. A bit pricey IMO though. Do these premium packs make "power up" on the Tyros longer?
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#268674 - 08/04/09 02:27 PM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
OK, here goes... The trombone is only $50, but the other two are $200 EACH

Nice enough sounds but flawed, IMO... The organ samples are sampled though the Leslie, and seem to be fast only, which is great for the home organists that seem to like leaving it on fast all the time (quick joke: What does a home organist do when he comes to the most sensitive passage he has ever played in his life..? He FINALLY hits 'Slow' on the Leslie! ) but not much use for those that actually ARE more familiar with playing the B3....

The trombone is actually pretty nice, but seems to have quite a limited dynamic range... you can't get it to snarl or spit to save your life! Plus, some of the fall-offs felt a little strange, almost as if they had used a valve trombone rather than a slide fall-off (it's a subtle problem, though... I just noticed because I am a trombone player).

The choir sounds were, I thought, the best of the bunch, but to pay $200 extra (on a $4500 keyboard) for something that is usually already well represented (I know my Roland has these sounds and MANY more) seems a bit steep. Yes, I know the SA2 helps them a bit, there were some nice legato/detaché moments in there, but it wasn't anything I can't do with careful fingering...

Not to mention, how long does loading up 99MB take, on a T3, to it's boot up time? Not to mention 73MB for the organs, and 17MB for the t'bone?

I am afraid that Roland's SRX cards offer FAR more sounds for roughly the same price, and no load up times at all. All in all, I would have preferred Yamaha to keep their voice slot (from the MotifES and prior) and go this route, rather than going with the somewhat slow sampler. In fact, most Motif users feel the same way, given the furor that broke out after the XS dropped the expansion slot...

But I think there is one very positive from these demos... maybe now, you won't flame the factory demos as being too edited, in future! I don't know who is playing those demos, but I have a feeling he is the guy behind the 'Jazz' demo up for the T3, and from watching him play (on demos for the other SA2 sounds, too), perhaps more of you are willing to admit that, yes, it IS possible to get VERY close to how good that demo sounded, even playing live!

#268675 - 08/04/09 02:48 PM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
The player is Martin Harris of Yamaha UK.
Personaly i find the price a real Rip off,the vocals must be standard voice's on the "top arranger"

The Organ voice's are not for me, i like more the rock & blues kind of organ .
I play mostly pop& rock covers,i dont need the pack's presented by Yamaha for too much money.

Impuls

#268676 - 08/05/09 03:44 AM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
jwyvern Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

But I think there is one very positive from these demos... maybe now, you won't flame the factory demos as being too edited, in future! I don't know who is playing those demos, but I have a feeling he is the guy behind the 'Jazz' demo up for the T3, and from watching him play (on demos for the other SA2 sounds, too), perhaps more of you are willing to admit that, yes, it IS possible to get VERY close to how good that demo sounded, even playing live!

Not quite sure what you mean there Diki, but if you want to hear an ornery guy playing the SA2 here's an off the cuff demo I did in another forum. OK the style is pretty plodding, but I had to keep concentrating on pursing my lips right, I'd only had the 'bone for just an hour.
http://www.box.net/shared/3e3b5e0q3a

John

#268677 - 08/05/09 04:03 AM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
Diki Offline

That was merely an oblique reference to a post we had a couple of days ago or so http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/019751-2.html (near the bottom, by Hammer), that questioned that the T3 Jazz demo was completely unplayable by 'humans', and was merely the result of deep sequencer editing...

After hearing Martin Harris play on a lot of the T3 videos up at the T3 site, I was merely hoping that more of us would start to believe that it ISN'T mostly deep sequencing, but deep PLAYING

That's a very nice demo, BTW. To be honest, you managed to get a bit more 'spit' out of the sound than that demo up at Yamaha. Kudos...

#268678 - 08/05/09 02:40 PM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
John
I played trombone for years, but could never get it quite as sweet as that. It sure sounds authentic to me. Great job.

Bernie

#268679 - 08/05/09 04:23 PM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by Impuls:
They are there >>>
http://music-tyros.com/

Impuls

DRUM VOICES, PLEASE?

#268680 - 08/05/09 04:35 PM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
DRUM VOICES, PLEASE?

You know, that's one area where the sampler MIGHT be the best solution. There's a pretty large selection of sampled drum kits out there, some pretty decent ones are even available for free. I know that building the kit will be a PITA (thank you, Yamaha, for making it so much hard work when Akai import would only make us lazy! ), but as drum sound choice is so individual, perhaps building your own would be the solution..?

Has Sørenson, or any of the other Yamaha software writers (who Yamaha ought to be on their knees thanking, as essential as most of them are!) ever taken a crack at a sample editor for the Tyros's? That would be a game changer, right there. Given how easy it is on a computer to assemble and fine tune drum kits, it is unconscionable that Yamaha have left the users of the most expensive keyboard they make (in a 61 ) so completely unsupported...

But given how they leave all their other arranger users on their own, and rely on unpaid third parties to remedy their OS shortcomings, I am not surprised. Compare the level of support and software editing assistance they give for free to their MoXS users, and then the vacuum of assistance for their customers of a FAR more expensive keyboard, and make your own mind up if you are being shortchanged...

#268681 - 08/05/09 07:54 PM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi jwyvern

I am certainly enjoying your playing style here as I did on your T2 version of Nearness of You. My kinda stuff.

That's a pretty good sounding trombone. The more I think about it, the clarinet and the new single coil jazz guitar alone would be worth it for me to pick up a T3. I'm really thinking about it. Does it still have that beautiful cornet as on the T2?

My wife and I were going to Andy's Music in Mobile a few weeks ago to see an S900 and T3, but they said they didn't have any. One time a few years ago, I wanted to see the T2, I think, there and even though they had them in stock, do you believe they wouldn't take one out of the box for me to try?????? They have an online business and wanted to keep their boxes factory sealed.

The only thing that I think I would not like on the T3 is those drawbars. 1st, I don't really need them, second if they were going to put them on I wish they would have put them up to the left of the screen so that the reg mem were still below the screen.

I play a lot of big band stuff where I swith between horn sections sometimes for a couple beats and back to the other using my left hand. This looks like it will be well nigh impossible on the T3.

Which style are you using on the trombone demo?

Best
Scott

#268682 - 08/07/09 04:22 AM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
jwyvern Offline

Diki & Bernie,
Well, thanks for your comments. I wasn't expecting such a good report from real trombonists.

and Scott:

I'd probably only played with the trombone for about half an hour before someone asked for a demo, so with a bit more exploration and practice there's no doubt more to find. There are no instructions that I have found from Yamaha so as usual you're left to find out for yourself.
Many of the Sweet/Live/Cool voices on Ty2 are improved on Ty3, and the Cornet sounds to me at least as good. Or you could choose the SA2 Classical Trumpet which sounds similar.
If you want to change the LH voice to and fro quickly it will be a challenge trying to get it done by hand via registrations.
I don't know who Yamaha consult when they want to make fundamental changes. But moving Registration buttons out to the right (and incidentally forcing Voice Effects out even further) just to give prime position to a feature of questionnable use was a wrong move IMO.
I've started experimenting with custom voices for the Left where say a SaxSection provides the normal accomp. where extra emphasis, stabs and crescendo can be brought in via higher velocity.

The style used in the demo was Dreamy Ballad, speeded up from 63 to 85 Tempo and with the guitar part tweaked up to a level where you could actually hear it.

John

[This message has been edited by jwyvern (edited 08-07-2009).]

#268683 - 08/07/09 07:13 AM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
Beakybird Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jwyvern:
Diki & Bernie,
Well, thanks for your comments. I wasn't expecting such a good report from real trombonists.

and Scott:

I'd probably only played with the trombone for about half an hour before someone asked for a demo, so with a bit more exploration and practice there's no doubt more to find. There are no instructions that I have found from Yamaha so as usual you're left to find out for yourself.
Many of the Sweet/Live/Cool voices on Ty3 are improved on Ty3, and the Cornet sounds to me at least as good. Or you could choose the SA2 Classical Trumpet which sounds similar.
If you want to change the LH voice to and fro quickly it will be a challenge trying to get it done by hand via registrations.
I don't know who Yamaha consult when they want to make fundamental changes. But moving Registration buttons out to the right (and incidentally forcing Voice Effects out even further) just to give prime position to a feature of questionnable use was a wrong move IMO.
I've started experimenting with custom voices for the Left where say a SaxSection provides the normal accomp. where extra emphasis, stabs and crescendo can be brought in via higher velocity.

The style used in the demo was Dreamy Ballad, speeded up from 63 to 85 Tempo and with the guitar part tweaked up to a level where you could actually hear it.

John

I get a problem loading page error when I go to hear your solo at http://www.box.net/shared/3e3b5e0q3a. I'd love to hear it.

Beakybird

#268684 - 08/07/09 07:21 AM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
jwyvern Offline

Beakybird,
It looks as if you have added a full stop after the URL which has queered it.

Try this http://www.box.net/shared/3e3b5e0q3a

John

#268685 - 08/07/09 04:00 PM Re: Premium voices Tyros3

Hi jwyvern

Actually with the reg mem buttons, I use my left hand quite often to quickly change between buttons 5 - 8, which are my different horn sections for right hand sounds, ranging from sax harmony, sax unison, trombone section harmony to trumpet harmony. I trigger the chord and continue playing with my right hand as my left hand changes those right hand settings. It is fun to do, just like an actual big band.

But, anyway, how on earth can I do that with a T3? I thought perhaps I could change my reg's 5 - 8 with 1 - 4, but don't know if that will help.

Yamaha, PLEASE put the reg mem buttons back under the screen where they belong so everyone at all levels can do what they want to in the EASIEST manner.

As for the drawbars, I don't know, I haven't tried them yet. On the Tyros 4 I recommend putting them to the left like I've seen other companies do. But I think they are not really needed. I bet a poll would clear up that idea real quick.

I'd say 76 note keyboard over drawbars would win any polls on the subject.

Scott

#268686 - 08/07/09 11:34 PM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
Diki Offline

Or get a G70 and have 76 notes AND drawbars

And a real B3 sim (not as good as the Nord's, but still pretty reasonable) and an action with no sharp corners to grab your hands on big smears and dives.

#268687 - 08/08/09 12:52 AM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Scott
A lot of players just assign the registrations to a footswitch (They set up all the changes of the song in the correct order in the registrations) and use this to step through as the song progresses. (If you also assign fills etc to a footswitch, there is little need to take your hands off the keyboard at all)
Another option

Bill

#268688 - 08/08/09 01:30 AM Re: Premium voices Tyros3

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi Scott
A lot of players just assign the registrations to a footswitch (They set up all the changes of the song in the correct order in the registrations) and use this to step through as the song progresses. (If you also assign fills etc to a footswitch, there is little need to take your hands off the keyboard at all)
Another option

Bill

HI Bill

Yes, I'm aware of that,but I do it on the fly kind of the same only different order every time. I pick the horn sections as I am inspired on the fly. So, guess that won't help me unless there is something else that I am not aware of.

#268689 - 08/08/09 05:11 AM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
jwyvern Offline

The use of a pedal for advancing Registrations is really for where you have a known sequence, it doesn't let you decide to go up and down at will (as you can were you using pedals to move OTS).
If you are sitting close to Ty3 you could probably still manage to push Regs. directly for what you need Scott (about a foot further for the LH to go) but depending on timing may have to be more discriminating at first and in some cases maybe use the RH to cause a change- if possible.

John

[This message has been edited by jwyvern (edited 08-08-2009).]

#268690 - 08/08/09 05:04 PM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
Diki Offline

Could you layer BOTH parts, and use an expression pedal to cross-fade? (Invert pedal response on one part)

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 08-08-2009).]

#268691 - 08/08/09 11:22 PM Re: Premium voices Tyros3

Quote:
[B]Could you layer BOTH parts, and use an expression pedal to cross-fade? (Invert pedal response on one part)
B]

Hi Diki

You know, that's one of the more interesting answers I think I've seen on SZ.

The only thing is, is those horn section presets are all triple layered to get as realistic of a sound as I can get.

Had I not worked with Roland Atelier organs for about a year I may not have even understood what you were talking about. Those Atelier's had some voices like piano/strings where if you struck a key you'd get piano and if you stepped on the gas the string section would come in. Kind of a cool idea really.

But, even if I could layer a preset to get what you are talking about, I'm thinking that there has to be some special setup that I'm not aware of on the T2. Or is it more with having a special pedal that's built for this purpose?

The other thought I had, but I don't think it can be done is, I have a Technote midi bass pedal board, exactly the same as the one made by Ketron, which makes me wonder, who really is building that thing?

I was thinking instead of using them to play bass notes, that I could probably use it to do the work of 13 pedal switches for fill-ins, break, etc. But, I don't think it's possible to have the presets keyed by midi commands other than forward and backward. It also seems to me there is a limit of 5 midi switch type commands possible.

thanx anyway

#268692 - 08/08/09 11:30 PM Re: Premium voices Tyros3

Now if with a new OS the drawbars and/or the button controls associated with them could be activated to control the reg mem buttons I think we'd have a good solution. Not as good as leaving the frikin buttons where they were, but, hey.

I wonder how they ever decided to make this move? I've even been considering an S900 or S910 because of this. If, I liked the sound, etc that is. But, no after-touch on these. I have truly been spoiled by the T1 and T2.

#268693 - 08/09/09 01:18 AM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Scott
Have you tried posting on the YPKO Forum http://www.yamahapkowner.com/ as they will probably be better able to suggest something for you.
Regards

Bill

#268694 - 08/09/09 03:54 AM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
jwyvern Offline

Quote:
Could you layer BOTH parts, and use an expression pedal to cross-fade? (Invert pedal response on one part)

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 08-08-2009).]

Yes, you can up to a point. If I'm using 3x RH layers I can use an Exp. Pedal to take down 1 or 2 of them and bring up the third as a solo. And where necessary it can take down the Left Voice simultaneously too.

John

[This message has been edited by jwyvern (edited 08-09-2009).]

#268695 - 08/09/09 07:02 AM Re: Premium voices Tyros3

Thanx for the answers, but I do not want to change a left voice. I use my left hand to quickly change reg mem presets which are layered 3 deep and are all right hand voices

#268696 - 08/09/09 08:37 AM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
Diki Offline

'And where necessary' was the key point. LH voice doesn't HAVE to respond to the pedal.

#268697 - 08/09/09 09:10 AM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Scott,
Hi...
I would have to look in the manual..but, you could use a midi foot controller with a lot of pedals to switch the Reg's, STS's and lot's more.

The T3 is excellant...maybe a little MIDI work will get you around the physical concerns on the switch placement.

Don't know how much MIDi stuff you do, but if I can be of any help...just let me know.
Lee S.

#268698 - 08/11/09 04:55 PM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
Thilo Offline

Loc: Germany
Hi,

made just a little Demo with the a new choir voice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e88V1xX_gLE&fmt=22

Thilo.

[This message has been edited by Thilo (edited 08-11-2009).]

http://www.youtube.com/ThiloDA
------------------------------

#268699 - 08/11/09 05:40 PM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
Beakybird Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Thilo:
[B]Hi,

made just a little Demo with the a new choir voice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e88V1xX_gLE&fmt=22

Thilo.
B]

Great job! Very tasteful.

Beakybird

#268700 - 08/19/09 11:40 AM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
Thilo Offline

Loc: Germany
Hi,

now i have a new song recorded, which inspired from Martin Harris a little bit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPZruRYdnX4&fmt=22

Have Fun,
Thilo.

@Beakybird: Thanx for comment.

http://www.youtube.com/ThiloDA
------------------------------

#268701 - 08/19/09 12:05 PM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
Dnj Offline

Thilo...good job interesting song.....
I see your having fun got a kick out of your drum playing also

#268702 - 08/21/09 01:51 PM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Thilo:
Hi,

now i have a new song recorded, which inspired from Martin Harris a little bit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPZruRYdnX4&fmt=22

Very nicely done, Thilo. Very smooth.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online