#268672 - 08/04/09 01:03 PM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
No comments ?????

Impuls

#268673 - 08/04/09 01:51 PM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I thought they sounded ok. A bit pricey IMO though. Do these premium packs make "power up" on the Tyros longer?
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#268674 - 08/04/09 02:27 PM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
OK, here goes... The trombone is only $50, but the other two are $200 EACH

Nice enough sounds but flawed, IMO... The organ samples are sampled though the Leslie, and seem to be fast only, which is great for the home organists that seem to like leaving it on fast all the time (quick joke: What does a home organist do when he comes to the most sensitive passage he has ever played in his life..? He FINALLY hits 'Slow' on the Leslie! ) but not much use for those that actually ARE more familiar with playing the B3....

The trombone is actually pretty nice, but seems to have quite a limited dynamic range... you can't get it to snarl or spit to save your life! Plus, some of the fall-offs felt a little strange, almost as if they had used a valve trombone rather than a slide fall-off (it's a subtle problem, though... I just noticed because I am a trombone player).

The choir sounds were, I thought, the best of the bunch, but to pay $200 extra (on a $4500 keyboard) for something that is usually already well represented (I know my Roland has these sounds and MANY more) seems a bit steep. Yes, I know the SA2 helps them a bit, there were some nice legato/detaché moments in there, but it wasn't anything I can't do with careful fingering...

Not to mention, how long does loading up 99MB take, on a T3, to it's boot up time? Not to mention 73MB for the organs, and 17MB for the t'bone?

I am afraid that Roland's SRX cards offer FAR more sounds for roughly the same price, and no load up times at all. All in all, I would have preferred Yamaha to keep their voice slot (from the MotifES and prior) and go this route, rather than going with the somewhat slow sampler. In fact, most Motif users feel the same way, given the furor that broke out after the XS dropped the expansion slot...

But I think there is one very positive from these demos... maybe now, you won't flame the factory demos as being too edited, in future! I don't know who is playing those demos, but I have a feeling he is the guy behind the 'Jazz' demo up for the T3, and from watching him play (on demos for the other SA2 sounds, too), perhaps more of you are willing to admit that, yes, it IS possible to get VERY close to how good that demo sounded, even playing live!

#268675 - 08/04/09 02:48 PM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
The player is Martin Harris of Yamaha UK.
Personaly i find the price a real Rip off,the vocals must be standard voice's on the "top arranger"

The Organ voice's are not for me, i like more the rock & blues kind of organ .
I play mostly pop& rock covers,i dont need the pack's presented by Yamaha for too much money.

Impuls

#268676 - 08/05/09 03:44 AM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
jwyvern Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

But I think there is one very positive from these demos... maybe now, you won't flame the factory demos as being too edited, in future! I don't know who is playing those demos, but I have a feeling he is the guy behind the 'Jazz' demo up for the T3, and from watching him play (on demos for the other SA2 sounds, too), perhaps more of you are willing to admit that, yes, it IS possible to get VERY close to how good that demo sounded, even playing live!

Not quite sure what you mean there Diki, but if you want to hear an ornery guy playing the SA2 here's an off the cuff demo I did in another forum. OK the style is pretty plodding, but I had to keep concentrating on pursing my lips right, I'd only had the 'bone for just an hour.
http://www.box.net/shared/3e3b5e0q3a

John

#268677 - 08/05/09 04:03 AM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
Diki Offline

That was merely an oblique reference to a post we had a couple of days ago or so http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/019751-2.html (near the bottom, by Hammer), that questioned that the T3 Jazz demo was completely unplayable by 'humans', and was merely the result of deep sequencer editing...

After hearing Martin Harris play on a lot of the T3 videos up at the T3 site, I was merely hoping that more of us would start to believe that it ISN'T mostly deep sequencing, but deep PLAYING

That's a very nice demo, BTW. To be honest, you managed to get a bit more 'spit' out of the sound than that demo up at Yamaha. Kudos...

#268678 - 08/05/09 02:40 PM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
John
I played trombone for years, but could never get it quite as sweet as that. It sure sounds authentic to me. Great job.

Bernie

#268679 - 08/05/09 04:23 PM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by Impuls:
They are there >>>
http://music-tyros.com/

Impuls

DRUM VOICES, PLEASE?

#268680 - 08/05/09 04:35 PM Re: Premium voices Tyros3
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
DRUM VOICES, PLEASE?

You know, that's one area where the sampler MIGHT be the best solution. There's a pretty large selection of sampled drum kits out there, some pretty decent ones are even available for free. I know that building the kit will be a PITA (thank you, Yamaha, for making it so much hard work when Akai import would only make us lazy! ), but as drum sound choice is so individual, perhaps building your own would be the solution..?

Has Sørenson, or any of the other Yamaha software writers (who Yamaha ought to be on their knees thanking, as essential as most of them are!) ever taken a crack at a sample editor for the Tyros's? That would be a game changer, right there. Given how easy it is on a computer to assemble and fine tune drum kits, it is unconscionable that Yamaha have left the users of the most expensive keyboard they make (in a 61 ) so completely unsupported...

But given how they leave all their other arranger users on their own, and rely on unpaid third parties to remedy their OS shortcomings, I am not surprised. Compare the level of support and software editing assistance they give for free to their MoXS users, and then the vacuum of assistance for their customers of a FAR more expensive keyboard, and make your own mind up if you are being shortchanged...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online