SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#266128 - 06/14/09 04:27 PM NH rookie gig...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Well I made it thru my first NH gig with flying colors, but not with the music I expected. I got there early and began setting up. Just as I was finishing, a young volunteer came up to me and told me that I was going to play “upstairs” instead of in the main room. Seems they were doing Bingo downstairs. So I repacked the equipment and took the elevator up and re-set my stuff. As time approached, the dining area got pretty crowded, about 60 people.

I started with Spanish Eyes, but made a critical mistake. I decided to add vocals, which I’ve never done. I limped thru it and started looking at my list for another song I could use my styles with. I froze. So I quickly went to the SMF list and found Put Your Head on My Shoulder. Played and sang it strongly, so now I was more comfortable. I had about 50% of my songlist as SMF and the other half as styles. As I ran down the list my mind went style-blank.

Luckily, I have a ton of SMF at my disposal, so I started looking for my SMF songs. I played: Can’t Help Falling In Love, Runaround Sue, Here We Go Again, 3x a Lady, Blue Eyes Cryin’ in the Rain (an almost disaster), My Girl, Under the Boardwalk, Sweet Caroline, You Were Always on My Mind, Margaritaville, My Girl, Before You Accuse Me, Amazing Grace, Awesome God and Happy Trails. I’m sure there were more, but offhand I don’t remember them – and I didn’t play them in the order I listed them.

I think I mixed tempos very well and the crowd seemed to recognize and certainly enjoyed the music, especially the up tempo stuff. I only played two instrumentals and two songs with styles. I kind of choked. I had the songs prepared, but I didn’t do a good enough job expressing style names and tempos. Because I was trying to keep the music flowing, I felt uncomfortable trying to find styles and thinking of songs. That will improve next time.

What I didn’t play from my worksheet were: 5ft Two, Alley Cat, Sentimental Journey, My Way, Satin Doll, Great Balls of Fire, The Nearness of You, My Happiness, Brown Eyed Girl, It’s 5 o’clock Somewhere, YMCA and God Bless America.

Half way thru the hour a couple residents shouted to me – when are you coming back? That was a good sign. I got lots of applause and many people were singing along. Once I decided to stick with the SMF, the job got much simpler. I tried to talk with the crowd, but I think I was a little stiff – first time jitters. I was actually nervous, but this was fun. The PT on duty said she would give the AD a shining report and even speak to the AD at the facility next door about me. So, hopefully I’ll be back. My son came out and took some pics and video. Once I have the chance to look at it and scream, I’ll try to add some of it to my demo disks. This next week will be busy, but once I return I will peddle myself to more local facilities.

I used my G70 with two CM-30 monitor cubes. I was pleased with the overall sound; the room was crowded but the sound filled the room comfortably. Bass response was pretty decent, in fact I had to up the treble a little more than I expected to get the right balance. I didn’t use any of my harmonizer. I tried it early on, but didn’t get a good response from it IMO, so I left it off.

I really enjoyed myself. I couldn't believe how nervous I got playing this one-hour gig. The apprehension of what to play and if the audience would appreciate & respond really did a job on me. I'm open to more song suggestions; I know I need to become more familiar and knowledgeable of my keyboard. I'm also aware of the weight and size issue with the G70. I may start looking for a S900 or a PA500 if things continue positively. Thanks for reading.

------------------
Cass P Online
Lovin' my G70 and XK-1

#266129 - 06/14/09 05:24 PM Re: NH rookie gig...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I have nothing but admiration for those with the skills to do a NH gig.

I don't have them, I'm more of an instrumental, background type player, not a front man...that's why I like doing restaurant gigs...nice and laid back.

Great to see you giving these people some happiness and connecting them with old memories...it must give you a lot of personal satisfaction.

Thanks for sharing that experience, Cassp.

Ian

#266130 - 06/14/09 07:38 PM Re: NH rookie gig...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
If Cass stays with the NH's for a few months, he'll make leaps and bounds in finding his comfort zone.

A big thing he has going for him is a great personality and a tenderness that will resonate quite well with this audience.

This may become a new fresh way for him to enjoy his music. He's got all the tools, he just has to put forth the effort and it will come together for him.

I'm also in his ear on a regular basis pushing him towards these type accounts, and I can be pretty persuasive, lol...

Go Pens!!!!

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#266131 - 06/15/09 04:32 AM Re: NH rookie gig...
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Cass
Thanks for the honest gut appraisal of your NH gig. I do NH a lot and use the CM30's with a KN7000. I use my G70 on longer gigs with the Bose. I found early on to have my songs with reg's already set up, likewise for SMF's.

NH's are such a joy to do when you become accustomed to it. Yes, they like the lively tunes, and don't think you have to stay in the 30's and 40's. I charge $100 an hour for those with a budget, but do several gratus jobs for the poorer ones.

Way to go Cass, you are on your way.
Bernie

#266132 - 06/15/09 04:59 AM Re: NH rookie gig...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:

I'm also aware of the weight and size issue with the G70. I may start looking for a S900 or a PA500 if things continue positively.

Well, Cassp, I'm sure you know my feelings about the S900...it sure works for me...I prefer it over a T3.

I haven't tried a Korg arranger, because the dealers in my area don't carry them, but I'm sure Zuki will give you the details on how good his PA-800 works for him, so I imagine the PA-500 can't be far behind in features.

Just think...an S900 (or PA-500) and the two CM-30 Monitors...pretty easy to move and set up...would make these type of gigs a whole lot easier on the back.

What about a Roland E-50? Maybe you could use the styles from the G70?

Ian

#266133 - 06/15/09 05:13 AM Re: NH rookie gig...
cassp Offline

Ian, you've read my mind. I'm presently scouring the net for info about all three keyboards - S900, PA500 and E50. I have owned relatives of all of these and feel I could easily step in WHEN the finance gods align with the stars. Right now I'd have to steal one from somewhere, but maybe later this summer... If anyone really needs to unload one of the above, don't hesitate to contact me.

#266134 - 06/15/09 05:48 AM Re: NH rookie gig...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Cass, When I had the G70 I enjoyed it, problem was most of what I play are 1 hr. NH gigs. G70 despite it's quality was a bit much in the weight department. Good luck with your search and congratulations of having a successful gig.

#266135 - 06/15/09 06:34 AM Re: NH rookie gig...
John DiLeo Offline

Cassp congratulations on your new NH venture.It sounds like your enjoying performing for the audience. I can understand why you want to use a much lighter keyboard then the G70. I saw one in a music store on a third tier display. When I asked if I could play it they needed two sales men to lower it on to KB stand.
Right there I knew I would never be able to carry it anywhere, it's just way to big, bulky & heavy for me. It struct me as more of a good studio piece. The S900 is just right for my needs. Isn't the G70 a bit old in technology now compared to the new Yamaha & Korg, arranger units regarding SA, Mega, RX features & lightweight?

Good Luck to you Cass

[This message has been edited by John DiLeo (edited 06-15-2009).]

#266136 - 06/15/09 07:27 AM Re: NH rookie gig...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I also love to do nursing homes. I don't do many now since I'm working just about every night, but I feel they are by far the easiest jobs in the world. 50s and 60s music are what a great majority of the residents remember and love.
I've been using the Roland E50 far longer than I intended, in fact close to a year now. It's a really good keyboard and very light in weight. I think that even after if and when I get an Audya, I will keep the E50.
DonM

#266137 - 06/15/09 07:37 AM Re: NH rookie gig...
Dnj Offline

Cass call some NH Ad's ....ask them when their TOP entertainers will be performing.....then go and see them do their thing at the facilities, maybe even take a few videos to watch l8tr on,....absorb & learn....before you know it you will grab different things/tips to use in your own shows for sure.....have fun.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-15-2009).]

#266138 - 06/15/09 01:30 PM Re: NH rookie gig...
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Cass call some NH Ad's ....ask them when their TOP entertainers will be performing.....then go and see them do their thing at the facilities, maybe even take a few videos to watch l8tr on,....absorb & learn....before you know it you will grab different things/tips to use in your own shows for sure.....have fun.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-15-2009).]

Hi Cass,

I'm glad to hear you are doing the NH circuit. I'm having a ball with it. Donny's advice is great. One thing I would add to it is up tempo, up tempo, up tempo. These people might be old but they want to move. And stay away from the sad stuff.

Good luck,

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#266139 - 06/15/09 03:25 PM Re: NH rookie gig...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Songman55:
Hi Cass,

I'm glad to hear you are doing the NH circuit. I'm having a ball with it. Donny's advice is great. One thing I would add to it is up tempo, up tempo, up tempo. These people might be old but they want to move. And stay away from the sad stuff.

Good luck,

Joe

Yes, I found out the hard way...

I don't play "Harbour lights" anymore...After half my audience was crying, I found out that this is the number one tear jerker...we need to make good memories and know the difference..

#266140 - 06/15/09 03:43 PM Re: NH rookie gig...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Donny's suggestion is a good one but once you've seen someone else's act its very tempting to mimic or pattern your act after theirs, which I think you want to avoid at all costs.

I will respectfully disagree with Messrs. Joe & Fran regarding staying away from slower, even sometimes sad tunes.

IMO...

Our job is to stimulate these audiences. I've had too many AD's compliment through the years as to the wide range of emotions I'm able to evoke in them from my song selections. NO, you sure don't want too many, but if I can get one-two slow songs to really touch them...perhaps move someone to a tear or two, plus make them want to run through walls on the faster stuff, then that's a home run in most AD's eyes.

Remember, its not a concert & its our job to stimulate them intellectually and emotionally during our time with them. Don't be afraid of the slower/sad stuff. Chances are many of these exact type songs are important songs of these folks lives and bittersweet or not, they'll appreciate that you played it. The intimacy of these type songs make you stand out vs. other NH entertainers who come in and play all happy stuff. They will remember you even more...

My ratio is roughly 5-1 or 80% medium/upbeat stuff, 20% slow hymns and ballads...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 06-15-2009).]

#266141 - 06/15/09 03:52 PM Re: NH rookie gig...
Fran Carango Offline

Bill, nope , can't agree..Our job is to entertain, we are not their analyse...(neither are the AD's)..

Knowingly playing a song that we know is too emotional for them ...or anyone, is wrong...There are plenty of other tunes that will kinder great memories..

As for slow songs, that never came from me..I know the importance of upbeat songs, and a mix of material..

Don't forget there are spouses that have lost their mates in war, and a direct song like the one I mentioned, can be detrimental to why we are there..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 06-15-2009).]

#266142 - 06/15/09 04:03 PM Re: NH rookie gig...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Bill, nope , can't agree..Our job is to entertain, we are not their analyse...(neither are the AD's)..

Knowingly playing a song that we know is too emotional for them ...or anyone, is wrong...There are plenty of other tunes that will kinder great memories..

As for slow songs, that never came from me..I know the importance of upbeat songs, and a mix of material..

Don't forget there are spouses that have lost their mates in war, and a direct song like the one I mentioned, can be detrimental to why we are there..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 06-15-2009).]

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I've lost track of the times an audience member puled me over after the gig and thanked me for playing that song they carried with it some heavy emotion to it. They usually have a story to tell and while they often say "it was our song" hearing it allowed them to revisit the power and the meaning of a distant part of their life. I've often asked do you wish I hadn't played it? And every time, I've been told absolutely not. One lady recently said to me "I forgot how much I miss my husband (who'd been killed near the end of WW2)...hearing you play it brought it all back to me, for the first time in a long time...thank you."

I've got several letters from family members of deceased residents who had commented how much they enjoyed my playing certain songs.

I will say I don't usually play a specific song if I know ahead of time its "that special song" unless I ask them first. Usually, I just pick an old War tune or sometimes a Hymn and it will effect someone that way.

I will also allow that this area of song selection also is an individual thing. If you as a performer don't feel comfortable playing these kind of things, then you shouldn't.

I can only imagine how effective either Fran or Joe would be singing a tune like that for someone. It would be powerful...

Cheers!

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#266143 - 06/15/09 04:35 PM Re: NH rookie gig...
cassp Offline

Thanks guys for your suggestions and warnings. I've played in a band for many years and done more than a few 50th anniversary parties, so I know that 70-80 yr olds like it snappy yet sometimes sentimental. As you all cautioned, I don't think I would wantingly or knowingly play any song that would bring people to tears. I pride myself, as you do, in my ability to read an audience. I think my first try was decent and future song selections will get even better. And I don't want to become repititious, having a limited songlist either.

#266144 - 06/15/09 05:40 PM Re: NH rookie gig...
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Appreciate the enlightening conversation ... I don't play NH's, but who knows, I may have the opportunity someday.
Ciao,
Jerry

#266145 - 06/15/09 10:02 PM Re: NH rookie gig...
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Hi Bill,

My remarks re the tempos and choice of songs were for Cass. He is new to this market and while you feel your way around, this is the easy way to do it. Like he said, once you're comfortable with it, anything goes as long as you call pull it off. At one of my places, I do a chapel service that is all old familiar hymns including many tear jerkers. This is one of my very regular places and the people know if they come to the chapel service, this is what they are going to hear. At my other gigs there, it's my usual up beat and occasional slow song stuff. Again, this is an amazing group of people to entertain.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#266146 - 06/16/09 01:31 AM Re: NH rookie gig...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Songman55:
Again, this is an amazing group of people to entertain.

Joe

It really is a special group, isn't it?

The last few months I've really been toying with the idea of dropping my animal clubs gigs and ending my band. I'd be quite content booking an additional NH gig for every weekend club date I don't book for next year. My income would actually go up, lol...

Other factors will be part of this decision. My waning enthusiasm for my quartet, my intolerance of the dwindling and frankly boring animal clubs. The importance of spending time with my wife and family, etc.

I could not imagine playing only animal clubs, not the way they are today.

I can easily imagine playing only NH and private parties.

To bring this back to Cass, I think you'd agree not everyone has the right skill set to do NH work. From a handful of very enjoyable phone conversations and from reading his posts here at the SZ, I think Mr. P. is well suited to really excel with this particular kind of client. He's got chops-both vocally and kb wise, a great personality and lots of experience.

If he chooses to flex his muscles in his area on nursing homes/retirement communities, he WILL take business away from the competition, for sure...

Cheers-

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#266147 - 06/16/09 02:17 AM Re: NH rookie gig...
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Cassp,
Gary who posted frequently on this form had a good method for getting NH jobs, he explained it in detail, If you reach him you will find Gary very helpful. John C.

#266148 - 06/16/09 09:39 AM Re: NH rookie gig...
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Cass I do NH gigs with some friend singers. We only play Gospel music, but the residents absolutely love to sing the standard hymns (eg How Great Thou Art), Gaither favorites (eg Because He Lives, He Touched Me) and the more upbeat southern gospel songs like On the Jericho Road, Just Over in the GloryLand. Key thing for me is a variety but I try to weave in a different theme each month. I take along a song sheet as well which I get the ADs to copy, so if ever you want to see one let me know here or on facebook.

Blessings

#266149 - 06/16/09 09:50 AM Re: NH rookie gig...
Fran Carango Offline

Here is the "king" of nursing home jobs..
http://garymurway.homestead.com/Index.html

I will get the password again, so you can read in detail.."How to succeed"..

The password is....oscar

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 06-16-2009).]

#266150 - 06/16/09 10:54 AM Re: NH rookie gig...
Bill in Dayton Offline

To refer to him as the KING of Nursing Homes may be a bit of hyperbole, but I do love the idea of his mobile performances.

Maybe I could strap a Bose Compact to my back and to a strolling kind of thing...

What few audio files I could listen to sounded nice and he seems like he "gets it"

Good for him...we need more entertainers tuned in like he is...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 06-16-2009).]

#266151 - 06/16/09 10:58 AM Re: NH rookie gig...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by PraiseTheLord:
Cass I do NH gigs with some friend singers. We only play Gospel music, but the residents absolutely love to sing the standard hymns (eg How Great Thou Art), Gaither favorites (eg Because He Lives, He Touched Me) and the more upbeat southern gospel songs like On the Jericho Road, Just Over in the GloryLand. Key thing for me is a variety but I try to weave in a different theme each month. I take along a song sheet as well which I get the ADs to copy, so if ever you want to see one let me know here or on facebook.

Blessings

One thing to note is to play what you were hired to play. If you're hired to play Gospel, then play...at least mostly Gospel music. If you're hired to play a variety...don't lock into one style.

This messes up the AD's programming. They'll schedule for example 1 gospel act a month and a variety act a month. If the variety act plays too much religious based material, it'll potentially upset the residents who came to the activity for the variety that was advertised, not a gospel show...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#266152 - 06/16/09 12:21 PM Re: NH rookie gig...
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
To refer to him as the KING of Nursing Homes may be a bit of hyperbole, but I do love the idea of his mobile performances.

Maybe I could strap a Bose Compact to my back and to a strolling kind of thing...

What few audio files I could listen to sounded nice and he seems like he "gets it"

Good for him...we need more entertainers tuned in like he is...

Bill, Gary can literally could work 5 gigs a day (nursing home) at $150 a pop...and has the know how to work the job the way it should be worked....Can play any song spontaneously in any key, and knows how to have them participate..He also knows how to keep the personnel in his favor...Now , what part of being the "king" ..do you not understand...

#266153 - 06/16/09 02:47 PM Re: NH rookie gig...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Bill, Gary can literally could work 5 gigs a day (nursing home) at $150 a pop...and has the know how to work the job the way it should be worked....Can play any song spontaneously in any key, and knows how to have them participate..He also knows how to keep the personnel in his favor...Now , what part of being the "king" ..do you not understand...

Fran- I didn't say anything negative at all about this guy. Not a word...Nor will I based on what I've seen of his work.

The number of shows a guy does doesn't impress me very much. Some guys are great bookers and only marginal entertainers. Your pal sounds like the real deal, but heavy volume has its price tags and limitations and quality often suffers.

If he makes that kind of money then that's great for him. Understand though its as much a reflection of the location/region that he's in as opposed to purely his skill.

The story on the website supports completely that he knows what he's doing, no question about it.

You say he can play any song in any key? Well, according to his website, he's using midi files and a midi guitar. So, really...he's able to play any song he has a midi file for or can figure out the chords on the fly. I've never heard of anyone knowing every song, have you? To change keys using a midi file ain't exactly rocket science. I'm also curious how often the residents request a tune in a different key?

Participation is like "nursing home entertainment 101," Of course he's adept at it.

I'll repeat, he sounds like a very very good, talented, dialed in entertainer who is providing a unique service. I've nothing bad to say about him at all.

There are dozens of guys who really "get it" and service nursing homes at a high quality level. I just thought you exaggerated a tad when you called him the King.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#266154 - 06/16/09 10:45 PM Re: NH rookie gig...
Fran Carango Offline

Bill, actually Gary uses a RA 95 arranger with his midi guitar..I hardly recall him using midi files at all..

And yes he has a great recollection of tunes, as does my old buddy ..Uncle Dave..

I also am amazed how both these guys can remember the lyrics to so many tunes...

No exaggeration..

#266155 - 06/17/09 05:02 AM Re: NH rookie gig...
Bill in Dayton Offline

I'll confess, I don't know the first thing about MIDI Guitars. I misunderstood the wording on his website.

He's a guitar player, who's studied a long time and really seems to have the sensibilities
of the audience first and foremost. I'd love to hear him live, I'm sure its a treat...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online