SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#266138 - 06/15/09 01:30 PM Re: NH rookie gig...
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Cass call some NH Ad's ....ask them when their TOP entertainers will be performing.....then go and see them do their thing at the facilities, maybe even take a few videos to watch l8tr on,....absorb & learn....before you know it you will grab different things/tips to use in your own shows for sure.....have fun.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-15-2009).]

Hi Cass,

I'm glad to hear you are doing the NH circuit. I'm having a ball with it. Donny's advice is great. One thing I would add to it is up tempo, up tempo, up tempo. These people might be old but they want to move. And stay away from the sad stuff.

Good luck,

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#266139 - 06/15/09 03:25 PM Re: NH rookie gig...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Songman55:
Hi Cass,

I'm glad to hear you are doing the NH circuit. I'm having a ball with it. Donny's advice is great. One thing I would add to it is up tempo, up tempo, up tempo. These people might be old but they want to move. And stay away from the sad stuff.

Good luck,

Joe

Yes, I found out the hard way...

I don't play "Harbour lights" anymore...After half my audience was crying, I found out that this is the number one tear jerker...we need to make good memories and know the difference..

#266140 - 06/15/09 03:43 PM Re: NH rookie gig...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Donny's suggestion is a good one but once you've seen someone else's act its very tempting to mimic or pattern your act after theirs, which I think you want to avoid at all costs.

I will respectfully disagree with Messrs. Joe & Fran regarding staying away from slower, even sometimes sad tunes.

IMO...

Our job is to stimulate these audiences. I've had too many AD's compliment through the years as to the wide range of emotions I'm able to evoke in them from my song selections. NO, you sure don't want too many, but if I can get one-two slow songs to really touch them...perhaps move someone to a tear or two, plus make them want to run through walls on the faster stuff, then that's a home run in most AD's eyes.

Remember, its not a concert & its our job to stimulate them intellectually and emotionally during our time with them. Don't be afraid of the slower/sad stuff. Chances are many of these exact type songs are important songs of these folks lives and bittersweet or not, they'll appreciate that you played it. The intimacy of these type songs make you stand out vs. other NH entertainers who come in and play all happy stuff. They will remember you even more...

My ratio is roughly 5-1 or 80% medium/upbeat stuff, 20% slow hymns and ballads...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 06-15-2009).]

#266141 - 06/15/09 03:52 PM Re: NH rookie gig...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Bill, nope , can't agree..Our job is to entertain, we are not their analyse...(neither are the AD's)..

Knowingly playing a song that we know is too emotional for them ...or anyone, is wrong...There are plenty of other tunes that will kinder great memories..

As for slow songs, that never came from me..I know the importance of upbeat songs, and a mix of material..

Don't forget there are spouses that have lost their mates in war, and a direct song like the one I mentioned, can be detrimental to why we are there..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 06-15-2009).]

#266142 - 06/15/09 04:03 PM Re: NH rookie gig...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Bill, nope , can't agree..Our job is to entertain, we are not their analyse...(neither are the AD's)..

Knowingly playing a song that we know is too emotional for them ...or anyone, is wrong...There are plenty of other tunes that will kinder great memories..

As for slow songs, that never came from me..I know the importance of upbeat songs, and a mix of material..

Don't forget there are spouses that have lost their mates in war, and a direct song like the one I mentioned, can be detrimental to why we are there..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 06-15-2009).]

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I've lost track of the times an audience member puled me over after the gig and thanked me for playing that song they carried with it some heavy emotion to it. They usually have a story to tell and while they often say "it was our song" hearing it allowed them to revisit the power and the meaning of a distant part of their life. I've often asked do you wish I hadn't played it? And every time, I've been told absolutely not. One lady recently said to me "I forgot how much I miss my husband (who'd been killed near the end of WW2)...hearing you play it brought it all back to me, for the first time in a long time...thank you."

I've got several letters from family members of deceased residents who had commented how much they enjoyed my playing certain songs.

I will say I don't usually play a specific song if I know ahead of time its "that special song" unless I ask them first. Usually, I just pick an old War tune or sometimes a Hymn and it will effect someone that way.

I will also allow that this area of song selection also is an individual thing. If you as a performer don't feel comfortable playing these kind of things, then you shouldn't.

I can only imagine how effective either Fran or Joe would be singing a tune like that for someone. It would be powerful...

Cheers!

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#266143 - 06/15/09 04:35 PM Re: NH rookie gig...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Thanks guys for your suggestions and warnings. I've played in a band for many years and done more than a few 50th anniversary parties, so I know that 70-80 yr olds like it snappy yet sometimes sentimental. As you all cautioned, I don't think I would wantingly or knowingly play any song that would bring people to tears. I pride myself, as you do, in my ability to read an audience. I think my first try was decent and future song selections will get even better. And I don't want to become repititious, having a limited songlist either.

#266144 - 06/15/09 05:40 PM Re: NH rookie gig...
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Appreciate the enlightening conversation ... I don't play NH's, but who knows, I may have the opportunity someday.
Ciao,
Jerry

#266145 - 06/15/09 10:02 PM Re: NH rookie gig...
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Hi Bill,

My remarks re the tempos and choice of songs were for Cass. He is new to this market and while you feel your way around, this is the easy way to do it. Like he said, once you're comfortable with it, anything goes as long as you call pull it off. At one of my places, I do a chapel service that is all old familiar hymns including many tear jerkers. This is one of my very regular places and the people know if they come to the chapel service, this is what they are going to hear. At my other gigs there, it's my usual up beat and occasional slow song stuff. Again, this is an amazing group of people to entertain.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#266146 - 06/16/09 01:31 AM Re: NH rookie gig...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Songman55:
Again, this is an amazing group of people to entertain.

Joe

It really is a special group, isn't it?

The last few months I've really been toying with the idea of dropping my animal clubs gigs and ending my band. I'd be quite content booking an additional NH gig for every weekend club date I don't book for next year. My income would actually go up, lol...

Other factors will be part of this decision. My waning enthusiasm for my quartet, my intolerance of the dwindling and frankly boring animal clubs. The importance of spending time with my wife and family, etc.

I could not imagine playing only animal clubs, not the way they are today.

I can easily imagine playing only NH and private parties.

To bring this back to Cass, I think you'd agree not everyone has the right skill set to do NH work. From a handful of very enjoyable phone conversations and from reading his posts here at the SZ, I think Mr. P. is well suited to really excel with this particular kind of client. He's got chops-both vocally and kb wise, a great personality and lots of experience.

If he chooses to flex his muscles in his area on nursing homes/retirement communities, he WILL take business away from the competition, for sure...

Cheers-

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#266147 - 06/16/09 02:17 AM Re: NH rookie gig...
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Cassp,
Gary who posted frequently on this form had a good method for getting NH jobs, he explained it in detail, If you reach him you will find Gary very helpful. John C.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online