SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 37 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 36 37 >
Topic Options
#265047 - 06/01/09 04:41 PM Re: New Video Added by Lionstracs
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Wow... that's some serious problems there Miden.

Lol... it's a classic Lionstrac story though. While Dom is working on adding support for 7 monitors, the keyboard can't even run a Style properly.

Refund and run. Buy yourself a Neko, they work perfectly.

#265048 - 06/01/09 04:42 PM Re: New Video Added by Lionstracs
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
My Chord Sequencer was never removed from the OS of an arranger that had it...

It was merely removed from subsequent models (that had quite different OS's). A hardware arranger does what it does from the day you buy it. Bugs are fixed, to a certain extent, but one of the drawbacks, that I consider that 'open' arrangers suffer from is a certain degree of acceptance by customers of issues that may or may not (or may at some indeterminate time in the future) get fixed, but definitely impact it's usefulness at the time of purchase.

Add to that the issue that, as newer CPU OS's and hardware gradually get added, there is the problem of new problems getting ADDED as new kernels, drivers, OS's and the like get updated. Even in the studio this is an inconvenience (or more, depending on the level of client you work for), but live it is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

While Dom's customer service is second to none, his very lack of size also has it's dark side... that revenues are not sufficient to do the style and soundset development that other arranger companies can afford. One step forward, one step back.

Me, I think I prefer the more 'closed' approach... give me an arranger ALREADY voiced and styled well, with NO dealbreaker bugs at all, and if it gets around to fixing some of the smaller niggles, cool... but if it doesn't, I've still got something bombproof for live use. If an 'open' arranger provides this, so much the better But trading flexibility for reliability for the live musician seems a poor choice.

#265049 - 06/01/09 04:54 PM Re: New Video Added by Lionstracs
John DiLeo Offline

Why does this diki guy continue to bash the mediastation? .....it should be praised with the wonderful technology it is showing on the market. I wish I understood more of it, but all this negativity all the time is getting tired & boring & doesn't help anyone. People have spent their hard earned money on this unit and don't want to hear it get knocked by someone who doesn't even have one. Good luck to all you MS owners its exciting to see what Dom will do next.

Take Care

#265050 - 06/01/09 05:13 PM Re: New Video Added by Lionstracs
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
I spent my hard earned money on a G70... big deal! I am the FIRST to want to let anyone know if there are problems with it.

For Pete's sake, are you so insecure in your purchase of this product that you don't want to HEAR any drawbacks to it...? Oh, that's right... you don't even HAVE one! Why don't YOU buy one, and then praise the instability and poor operation as an OMB arranger? Even though they exist, as owned up by an actual OWNER? Jeez... why yank MY chain? Surely Dennis is the culprit, for letting the cat out of the bag that the MS is neither stable, nor ready for OMB usage live? When these are fixed, THEN it deserves praise for being a great arranger. That is, if you discount the styles Me, I don't buy something for what technology is inside. I buy it because of how well it WORKS.

But it's just so much more FUN to bait me, isn't it?

Enlighten us... tell us how you use YOUR MS live. Tell us there are no issues. Tell us that it works perfectly every time. Tell us it's the best arranger you ever bought... Tell Dennis that he is WRONG, not me...!

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 06-01-2009).]

#265051 - 06/01/09 05:28 PM Re: New Video Added by Lionstracs
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
You want an honest report on the MS...just ask!!!

The reboot problem that Dennis mentioned, originated from a update of Linus programs and a combination of incorporating a quad core CPU...The culprit was the kernel..Dom recently released a beta test kernel that seems to fix the problem of the "Jack" connection..

The Mediastation's ability to play Yamaha styles via LiveStyler/Lionstracs...solved the problems of yesteryear...The arranger play runs as smooth as most top arrangers, with dedicated buttons and sliders to handle "live play"..

What is missing currently, even with the Qranger...the possibility to edit live ..styles and sequence parts....in real time while performing...but you Yammie guys are use to that..

Roland users are spoiled..

What is unmatched...VST use..loading , playing...and the volume of quality Giga library sounds..

The dual player is also unmatched...It will play audio/ and midi files..with transpose of any file..smoothly..It has an easy search dial or type index..

CDG support is forth coming...And the lyric screen can be as large as you need in the 8" screen..

The Internet connection works great..uses Firefox..

The video play is also excellent...you can watch a video on break..

The assortment of patch capabilities is SUPER..allows you to work without the need of any mixer....The 2 mic inputs (low impedance), have their own effects , eq, and volumes...and there are a pair of audio inputs too (although you won't need a laptop to plug in)..Another keyboard can be plugged in..if you are with another band member...

Diki, you are right, I have not gigged with the MS, but use it all the time in the studio...Yes the few bugs that come up with the changing of OS and Linux updates can be disappointing....but as DNJ said....Dom is right there and solves the problem..even our own individual problem...either immediately..or within a short period of time..

Recap:

The Mediastation is decently stable...as of 2 days ago the new kernel has corrected some of the issues.. Initial boot up is perfect 9 out of 10 times..

The sounds are unsurpassed...For those of us that are lucky to have the boards to A/B them..it is evident the MS shines here...

The style play stands on it's own...with Livestyler..and the Qranger is the master at creating styles...

VST use is simply the best..

The combi mode is great..allowing the use of 8 patches to create the perfect user program...

I hope this enlightens some folks here..that mat be considering the MS...

Support..is simply unmatched by any company...Dom Rules...

Now maybe Dom will send me a check..

Some clatification, although I don't think it is necessary..

My statement that the MS arranger stands on it's own...stands!!!

It has the meat and potato features..Key start, intros, endings, fills and velocity activated fills...That is enough to stand on it's own..

My friend Dennis must be having a bad day..

Getting on my case because I use lyrics.. I already mentioned a while back that was my crutch...so what..

And Dennis , i was just passing the CDG info on..in fact it was not "my gotta have." features at all...
In fact I never use MP3's when I perform as a solo...only for break tunes...

With the band, we rely on MP3's..

As you may be aware the CDG feature had to be completed before the "new" performance feature could be completed...to save Dom extra work..

I stand behind all my comments mentioned...and the comments I am expressing now....

Spalding if your remark is for my behalf...speak up.. [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img]

I have not painted a rosy color on the MS, but you can bet there will be a rosy color in it's future...

James we have MS owners that also have a Neko...I am sure you can buy it from them...they prefer the better keyboard (in their opinion)..the MS...

Any questions that need to be asked...just ask, but don't beat around the bush... [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/smile.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/smile.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/smile.gif[/img]

#265052 - 06/01/09 06:20 PM Re: New Video Added by Lionstracs
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Yes Fran, it was my bad as far as the lyrics go...It ws someone else I was thinking of, and I recalled it incorrectly, so apologies on that one.

And yes I DO know about the Performance/CDG synergy..I knew it about 5 weeks ago or earlier. And I DO understand the reasoning behind it. I just happen to disagree because I think the performance function is VITAL to live play, I do not have the same conviction for CDG files.

In all my posts you will find I have not wavered from that, I UNDERSTAND but disagree (very respectfully) with the update path. As I said in my post we are all different and have different pressures and constraints. I fully empathise with Dom in that he has a mountain of these, and people clamouring for this and that, to deal with everyday.

All we have to do is enjoy the keyboard!!

To reiterate, I am only stating my disagreement (not argument) with the path, not the end result.

And yes we are on the same page as far as the future of the MS goes 100%.

As for the Neko and the new toy from Roland, imho they are not only NOT in the same ballpark but in a different town.

Although I THINK there may be a bigger brother to the one posted by James, I am not sure, so maybe it will have a few more bells and whistles.

But to you Fran it was NOTHING personal at all...Please don't read it as such. I just say what I think in the best way I can. At times it CAN be construed as a direct criticism, but it is not meant that way.

Believe me if I wanted to criticise someone that person would be left in NO DOUBT

Now for OS 3.3.......
Dennis

#265053 - 06/01/09 06:44 PM Re: New Video Added by Lionstracs
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
James we have MS owners that also have a Neko...I am sure you can buy it from them...they prefer the better keyboard (in their opinion)..the MS...

Any questions that need to be asked...just ask, but don't beat around the bush.

I'm not beating around the bush, I'm actually happy now that I finally “Get It” after years following the developments of this keyboard.

I always wondered why there was such secrecy surrounding this keyboard and a complete lack of Audio Demo's worthy of even being heard.

The answer is it's a Lemon and nobody likes admitting that they got caught out.

So my final words on the subject of the Mediastation “ever” will be, shame on anyone who knew of all these problems and ever reported them on the forum. If the keyboard is not playable live and reliable it should have been reported long long ago..

The End.

#265054 - 06/01/09 07:10 PM Re: New Video Added by Lionstracs
Fran Carango Offline

James ..why the ruffled feathers..

I just reported another MS owners' opinion...

#265055 - 06/01/09 07:12 PM Re: New Video Added by Lionstracs
miden Offline

Loc: The World
. wrong post

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 08-01-2009).]

#265056 - 06/01/09 07:13 PM Re: New Video Added by Lionstracs
Fran Carango Offline

BTW: report on this forum?

The only potential SZ buyer, would be the S900 replacement..Audya and Mediastation are out of reach for most financially and patience wise..

Page 4 of 37 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 36 37 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online