SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#269969 - 08/23/09 03:27 AM Video Camera and Application!
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Can someone help me please. I need a camera where i can actually record some performances
on my synths then upload but i never really did connecting the cam directly to a computer and at
the same time connecting the cams audio in to one of my sound card for better audio. Can someone
point me to some cheaper camera that probably comes with an application for it for PC or MAC?
Some of you might now if they have done it in the past.
Then i will play and sing the Jambalaya for Diki...

#269970 - 08/23/09 05:16 AM Re: Video Camera and Application!
Tony Hughes Offline

Nedim,

Please don't do it!

Spare us all

Regards
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#269971 - 08/23/09 05:26 AM Re: Video Camera and Application!
Bachus Offline

Maybe you should ask over at Lionstracs they seem to have a lot of experience making movies....

P.s. for some good advise it would be wise to indicate your budget.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#269972 - 08/23/09 05:43 AM Re: Video Camera and Application!
Nedim Offline

I dont know, few hundreds of bucks, not exceeding 500...Lol Tony...

#269973 - 08/23/09 06:04 AM Re: Video Camera and Application!
Nedim Offline

And also include in that a video application which will record my voice and the screen when
i wanna do certain tutorials on certain soft editors or certain vsts.
Thanks

#269974 - 08/23/09 06:47 AM Re: Video Camera and Application!
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Hi Nedim – I’ll give you some observations from my experience. First, recognize I am certainly not an expert. I have done a couple videos using my T2 and/or sax. Here’s how I ran the setup for these videos:

- Camera is a cheapie $10 special (USB interface) from Ebay. The cam comes with a driver disk, although you may not need it if your OS recognizes the camera automatically when you plug it in
- I am using a PreSonus FireBox interface from the Tyros into the computer. So when I hooked up my audio interface, I have Windows mapped (via Control Panel) to import all audio via the firewire interface
- My cheap little camera has two cables on it – a USB connector and the standard mini-plug for the microphone that’s on board. I do not plug the microphone in and just use the USB connection for the video
- I run Windows Movie Maker software (free download available). When you start recording, Movie Maker takes the audio from the Firewire and the video from the USB camera
- I have my sax mic running through the Tyros as well and so my sax gets picked up via the Firewire as well

Here’s a link to the Firewire interface I’m using:
http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=4

And here’s a link to my recent video done using Movie Maker:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TtpUDx0qPI

You’ll probably note that the focus is better on the Tyros than it is on the sax. That’s because it’s a cheapie and doesn’t focus too well when you’re beyond 3 feet or so. I am pretty sure that for a few more bucks I could have gotten a camera with better resolution so you might want to consider that for your tutorials.

Hope this helps. I know there are many more qualified folks out here but thought I’d give you the “low budget” method I’m using. Good luck and have fun! Look forward to your rendition of “Jambalaya”!

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#269975 - 08/23/09 06:52 AM Re: Video Camera and Application!
Princess Offline

Loc: Michigan
Hi Nedim;
My wife got me a cannon FS100 for my birthday and I love it. It only weighs about 9oz. with battery installed and with a 4 GB sd card you get 1.5 hours of taping and that is the same time as the battery with a full charge. I've taped 4 of princess's gigs and the sound quality is just great with the built in mics. but the camera also has a jack for another mic. if wanted. It also has auto stabilization that really works great but when doing a show or tutorial using a tripod with the camera's small and handy remote control works beautifully. It has very nice software with the camera, video and audio editing.
I hope this info helps.
Princess's hubby
Craig

#269976 - 08/23/09 07:11 AM Re: Video Camera and Application!
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi Nedim

I'd recommend a camera that takes SD cards. Don't bother with digital tapes or anything that does not allow you to directly connect the camera to your Computer and see it come up as a removable disk.

You will also need to record the Audio separately at the time your doing the video, so best to just use your Studio / PC setup there.

As for what program to use, I don't know if your a PC or MAC user, but if your PC, then you might already have NERO. That package offers everything you could ever need.

Quote:
and the screen when
i wanna do certain tutorials on certain soft editors or certain vsts.

I wouldn't use a Video camera for that. I do lots of videos for my Camera Club where I make tutorials on how to enhance images for our members try at home. The program I use just allows me to sit at my laptop and it captures my screen. The program allows you to record in an array of video formats, even FLASH so you can put your video's online in an extremely efficient way. It will even do EXE's which is what I use it for so our Camera Club members can download them and watch them offline.

For demonstrating VSTi's you can get the program to record your VSTi's output, and your Mic In at the same time. This will give you a really good audio, with razor sharp video all synced together.

To give you some sort of idea of what I'm talking about, have a look at one of the video's I made for our members.
http://www.waterfordcameraclub.com/tutorials/cover-girl.exe

The program I used to make this is called Instant Demo. www.instant-demo.com

Regards
James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 08-23-2009).]

#269977 - 08/23/09 07:19 AM Re: Video Camera and Application!
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Nedium,
This is the camera I now use for just about everything. I have been amazed at its capabilities. I use it for videos with sound as well as standard pics. The sound quality is rather good too.

If you elect to buy a video camera stay from all the cameras that require tapes, DVDs or other media. The best option out there these days are the flash memory systems which record on either SD cards or the for Sony the Pro Duo cards. A simple USB cord is all it takes to download the video with either of these cameras I have mentioned - no special software is even required.

Here is the link to the camera I use now.
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=144&model id=17630

Email me if you have want further info - I sell cameras and have a bit of knowledge about the current offerings. (No I am not trying to sell you a camera - just helping out.)

Hammer

[This message has been edited by hammer (edited 08-23-2009).]

[This message has been edited by hammer (edited 08-23-2009).]

#269978 - 08/23/09 07:09 PM Re: Video Camera and Application!
Nedim Offline

Thank you everyone!!! Reading all this helped a lot and made me realise that probably the
best way to go is Stereo out of the synth to Stereo in in the Camera directly instead of
recording thru a computer, its just more complicated like that i guess. As for Software James
this one seems nice, i mostly use Mac but i have a LapTop PC too so i guess i will do some
more research.
As for you Hammer, if you are selling them, why not give bussines to you then to
someone else, even if you are pointing to me buying from you it makes sense.
Thanks

[This message has been edited by Nedim (edited 08-23-2009).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online