SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#263571 - 05/21/09 07:33 PM Re: is there a youthful arranger market
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
But move on over to the MoXS forum, or M3, or FantomG, and you might get a LOT more receptive crowd for these ideas.

Once someone showed them how easy improvised song performance is, live, with an arranger, compared to the clumsy WS's they now have, with the caveat that 'don't listen to the styles or sounds, just imagine if YOUR WS could do this, this easily!', and you might have a lot more people on your side compared to here, with it's 'it's good enough for me, it was good enough for my father, it ought to be bloody well good enough for my kids ' attitude that exudes around us... [/B]

They already know what the arrangers can do. and view them as over priced Buicks for the most part. Plus they already have 4 part arrangers on the XS that track chords, notes with the same split points etc.

The dearth of After market XS "Styles" and wealth of voice sets is a testament to the indifference regarding about pre programmed "styles" to play along with. But put a new voiceset up there with 8 elements or an onboard USB wave recorder/player and the excitement is ramped up. In fact the ONLY thing Motif users want the Tyros has is the friggin tilting Screen....LOL

T

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 05-21-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#263572 - 05/21/09 07:34 PM Re: is there a youthful arranger market
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Yeah.., but the SB was never designed to compete with and MPC samplers either. It was Akai that later released the XR-20 to compete with the StreetBoxx.

Then MM6 is an arranger.., but its styles don't quite hit as hard as they did on the DJX. The MM6 is kinda like a softened version of the DJX.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#263573 - 05/21/09 07:37 PM Re: is there a youthful arranger market
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Yeah.., but the SB was never designed to compete with and MPC samplers either. It was Akai that later released the XR-20 to compete with the StreetBoxx.

Then MM6 is an arranger.., but its styles don't quite hit as hard as they did on the DJX. The MM6 is kinda like a softened version of the DJX.

W A Y....

But the MM6 is an amazing little keyboard. As is the M50.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#263574 - 05/21/09 07:56 PM Re: is there a youthful arranger market
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
KingFrog.., the MM6 is an excellent example actually. The MM6 is an arranger and in many ways is what the DJX was (or at least targeted at that crowd).

The MM6's styles aren't ass full as you'd find on a typical arranger..., but although basic it's an arranger with chord recognition. Look at what Yamaha has provided for this arranger. You get the MM6 in the box AND seq software bundled together to open the MM6's recording up to more possibilites. Yamaha even provides the instrument defs for the MM6 at Motifator.

This is an arranger keyboard bundled as a budget studio in a box. If Yamaha has done this on the low end of the keyboard market.., why can't they do something for the semi and pro level market?

They can call it the Mini-Mo all they like.., but at the end of the day it's still an arranger. Yamaha even confirmed that at Motifator and released info that the MM6 is made in the PSR factory.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#263575 - 05/22/09 11:49 AM Re: is there a youthful arranger market
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Learning an operating system is learning an operating system. Understanding how your instrument works and how to get the best out of it is the same practical learning curve you have to go through whether its a korg , roland kurzweil or yamaha. There are people on the motifator forum who used to use the Fantom who cant get their head around the XS operating system and it kills their workflow. The same is true on the fantomised forum from people who have switched from another manufacturers instrument to the fantom.

Once you have learned how your keyboard works , you can develeop your own workflow that can get the job done efficiently. I accept that a keyboard like the tyros 1,2,or 3 might have serious challenges in terms of sequencing from scratch a musical composition because the target group this instrument is aimed at might never ever produce an original piece of music but that is not the case with the PA series. It comes from the triton workstation stable and not just in terms of its sonic qualities.

You cant compare building a house with tools that are blatantly inadequate for building a house. Making music is the house (all kinds of music) in this example and if you cant do that using a keyboard be it an arranger keyboard like the tyros or the pa series then you cant make music period. How you get there is just a matter of preference . All i am saying is that arrangers like the PA series facilitate music production using workflows that traditional workstations in comparisson struggle to do but the PA can work in the traditional linear sequencing method with more than adequate sampling and editing facilities just as readily.

#263576 - 05/22/09 01:59 PM Re: is there a youthful arranger market
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by spalding1968:
Learning an operating system is learning an operating system. Understanding how your instrument works and how to get the best out of it is the same practical learning curve you have to go through whether its a korg , roland kurzweil or yamaha.

I've been saying this in pretty much every p¡ssing thread there's been on here for the last twelve months. Case in point, the Tyros that lasted less than a week in my ownership, before being sold on and replaced with my venerable E86. After twenty years playing nothing but Roland, I couldn't make head-nor-tail of Yamaha's user interface in live performance.

#263577 - 05/22/09 05:08 PM Re: is there a youthful arranger market
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Don't feel too bad... half the people that own arrangers of ANY kind can't figure out the OS too well Go to any support forum for proof if you don't believe me.

I guess the difference is, if something SONICLY is so good that you absolutely MUST use it, however long it takes you to unlearn your habits from the previous, it is worth the work. No doubt, if I ever make a move to Korg or Yamaha, it will be me pulling my hair out for quite a while but if the sound is THAT good, for me at least, it will make me knuckle down and do it.

It's all about MUSIC and sound, after all. Nobody in the audience cares how good the OS is Just how good you sound.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online