SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#263511 - 05/15/09 03:54 PM is there a youthful arranger market
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Here is a young guy jamming with the Yamaha XS using a performance (what we would call a style) which he pre-recorded with the chord changes and then jammed over the top in real time.

What do you think ? Is there a potentially untapped youthful arranger market ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dli60f5s5WQ
and this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05FyCE7AZZ4

and this one using a hiphop style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTFHJKwYE5M

heres another guy using the styles on the minimo and then recording his own tracks on top http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQgouZbpI6U&feature=channel_page

[This message has been edited by spalding (edited 05-15-2009).]

#263512 - 05/15/09 04:07 PM Re: is there a youthful arranger market
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Yes..., there really is one. Sadly many of the youth are going for the workstations based on price alone compared to arrangers. I've seen this guys vids before and he's pretty good. He's playing a top end Yamaha Motif XS6. A well built pro workstation with amazing sound quality. If he wanted to go the arranger route with Yamaha and not sacrafice major differences in build quality his only option is the Tyros 3 (even though the Tyros line isn't even built to the level of the XS) and look at the price difference between the Tyros 3 and this Motif XS6. Tyros 3 is nice.., but doesn't hold a candle IMO to the XS line. Sonically the XS IMO is stronger..., but the pro arranger equiv for this in the Yamaha arena cost damn near $4000. Hell it costs more than the full 88 weighted key version of what this kids playing!

Loranzoellis also did a smooth and catchy one using the Motif XS too. Been a while since I've seen Loranzoellis's vids. Thanks for posting them too

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 05-15-2009).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#263513 - 05/15/09 04:18 PM Re: is there a youthful arranger market
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
yes Loranzo sure is a beast!

#263514 - 05/15/09 04:24 PM Re: is there a youthful arranger market
squeak_D Offline

I think too often people on the forum stereotype the younger generation. So many people here just assume that all the 20 something's are all into pop, hippity hop, rap, techno, ect. That's not the case. There are large numbers of youth interested in the styles people play here.

If ALL the makers started pricing their top end arrangers at least close to their pro workstations (which they should be doing anyways) you'd see more youth playing them. Put yourself in their shoes..., you're young.., not as much income as some of the older keyboardists out there.., you want a top quality arranger but find that'll run you over three grand.., you then find you can get a pro workstation that sounds just as good.., but built better AND for MUCH LESS. If you were them.., what would you do in that situation?
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#263515 - 05/15/09 04:53 PM Re: is there a youthful arranger market
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
The type of arranger that I do well selling to younger people (20's and up) are the PSR-S550, and PSR-E413...sold several in April and two of each this month.

We also sold an E413 for use in a buddy's studio,.,wicked analog control over the sounds.

Ian

#263516 - 05/15/09 05:09 PM Re: is there a youthful arranger market
squeak_D Offline

Ian.., when I demo I get a lot of 20 something's asking about the upper end arrangers. These are younger players that often already have an upper end workstation..., but want a pro arranger too.

I got a guy to buy a Tyros 2 before the 3 was released. He had a Motif XS.., but wanted an arranger and wouldn't accept anything in the mid or low range. He ended up buying a Tyros 2.., but returned it within a week. I'll use his words exactly "I'll never waste that much money on a plastic keyboard again". He said he expected more in that price range considering how much it cost compared to his Motif XS. He said it sounded amazing.., but he couldn't accept the quality of it compared to his workstation. He's a heavy gigger and was worried about the T3 holding up on the road. I told him there were a lot of pros giggin with it.., and even suggested he visit the Zone.., but he wasn't intereseted.

#263517 - 05/15/09 05:22 PM Re: is there a youthful arranger market
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Well Squeak, I don't know what to tell you other than I know what I've been selling, and I know what the salespeople at the stores sell when I'm not there, or after I've done a clinioc/demo because the clients usually contact me afterwards.

The Tyros3 has sold very well...I sold a lot of T2's...they are both plastic, and I've heard nothing but praise, and no mention or complaints about any "plastic" keyboard.

Years ago I sold a lot of DJX...they were plastic...all young customers...no complaints...the S900 is a better quality keyboard...I know because I've played both of them, and I use an S900 for gigging.

You had a DJX...the plastic didn't seem to bother you then...you can rest assured that no arranger in your price range of $2000, from any company, is going to have any metal panel...it's not going to happen, so you're out of luck.

You'll have to be content with some sort of workstation from Roland, I guess.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 05-15-2009).]

#263518 - 05/15/09 06:26 PM Re: is there a youthful arranger market
squeak_D Offline

It really differs by area too I guess. I live in West Virginia.., so there are a lot of folk, country, and bluegrass players here who want top end arrangers. I've been seeing a lot of PA-80's around here lately. A very popular local country band was showcased on the news last week and the keyboardist had a Korg PA-80 and a Yamaha PSR-3000. Many (that I come by here) are in their 20's but do go with the pro workstation for "ease of mind" really. I guess some of these kids are playin some rough-neck gigs on a stage behind chicken wire with beer bottles flyin everywhere

I personally liked the Tyros 2's sound. I loved the keybed on the T2 as well. I've had issues with some plastic bodies though. They scratch and chip more easily IMO.

Honestly as much as I do like Roland Ian.., my next top pick in workstation isn't from them or Yamaha or even Korg. I've got my eyes on a Kurzweil for my next purchase. I'm moving the majority of my set up to software.., but I want one kick ass hardware unit with 88 weighted keys that'll double as a workstation and a killer midi controller.

Won't be long and I'll have quite a few items up for sale. Got my eyeballs on the Kurzweil PC3X. Kurzweils orchestral patches are to die for! Anything I want to do (modern styles) will be convered with software synths and FL Studio

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 05-15-2009).]

#263519 - 05/15/09 07:33 PM Re: is there a youthful arranger market
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
The Motif XS is a totally different animal then a Tyros 3. I have both and use the Motif 90% of the time for creation of NEW music. We use the Tyros to recreate cover songs as it has no peer as a time saver in that regard.

The Motif has style but only 4 parts which is pretty much representative of a five piece band with the player the 5th wheel.

Younger SERIOUS players are workstation oriented. Very young beginners seem to prefer the less expensive 413 and PSR550.

The only voices I use consistently from the T3 are the SA 2 voices, The rest of the voices are more than covered by the XS.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#263520 - 05/15/09 07:36 PM Re: is there a youthful arranger market
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
We need a complete new batch of modern styles. Listen to the younger players' advice and go in that direction. I'd like to see some more US style R&R and pop styles and cool jazz.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online