SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#2624 - 11/17/04 08:35 AM Synth Workstations-Sequencing-need suggestions
wawa8223 Offline

Loc: Ocean City, MD, USA
Right now I have a Roland XP-60. Though I like most of the sounds...I'm unhappy with the sequencing. I do home recording, and I'd like to start using the synth and sequencing capabilities more to tighten up my 'live' playing or set up more realistic drum tracks. Roland's sequencer is too complicated for me. I'm unhappy with Performance mode. ...And the manual is really no help at all.

I need some opinions on synths and sequencing. What workstations have really good sounds and still are relatively easy to use. I'm willing to put in a little work on the reading, but there has got to be a workstation that is a little more user friendly than the XP-60.

Thanks,
Wawa------

#2625 - 11/17/04 09:05 AM Re: Synth Workstations-Sequencing-need suggestions
Jerry Mullikin Offline

Loc: Grand Junction, CO USA
I have no idea what you plan on spending for a workstation, but let me suggest you check out the Genesys by General Music (GEM). It is somewhat on the expensive side, but, in my opinion, worth every penny. I am very much an amateur on a keyboard, but I haven't found one yet I would give up my Genesys for.

Jerry M

#2626 - 11/17/04 10:59 AM Re: Synth Workstations-Sequencing-need suggestions
to the genesys Offline

Just to follow up on what Jerry said, the Genesys Pro (61 keys with out speakers), is not just an arranger but has a very powerful sequencer.

There is also an extensive sound editing capability. It has a quick sound edit where you can change filters resonance and so on. There is also another sound editing capability that goes in to the details on sound editing.

It is perhaps the easiest and the most intuitive keyboard to use.

Once you know what you want, the manual would direct you as to accomplishing your task.

You can create your drum tracks in the styles section so it can function as a drum machine.

When you are finished tweaking your sounds, it has 256 places you can save them to (call presets) and over 1000 memories.

It also has a sampler.

It may be on the pricey side but it is by far the keyboard/synthwork station/ arranger where you get the most for your money. There is also a module (genesys xp) that should be coming out soon so maybe you can wait for that.

TTG

[This message has been edited by to the genesys (edited 11-17-2004).]

#2627 - 11/17/04 11:36 AM Re: Synth Workstations-Sequencing-need suggestions
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by wawa8223:
Right now I have a Roland XP-60. Though I like most of the sounds...I'm unhappy with the sequencing. I do home recording, and I'd like to start using the synth and sequencing capabilities more to tighten up my 'live' playing or set up more realistic drum tracks. Roland's sequencer is too complicated for me. I'm unhappy with Performance mode. ...And the manual is really no help at all.

I need some opinions on synths and sequencing. What workstations have really good sounds and still are relatively easy to use. I'm willing to put in a little work on the reading, but there has got to be a workstation that is a little more user friendly than the XP-60.

Thanks,
Wawa------

As I understand it, the XP-60's RPS function is excellent for live play. You are able to set sections of the sequence to be triggered by specific keys on the keyboard. This would be helpful if you decide to repeat verse or chorus live.

You could get an external drum machine for better sounding drums. The Alesis SR16 is a good low-cost drum machine that sounds really good.

Maybe you could build your sequences on a PC but just play them back on the XP-60.

Best wishes.
Bob
<><

#2628 - 11/17/04 08:27 PM Re: Synth Workstations-Sequencing-need suggestions
Jerry Mullikin Offline

Loc: Grand Junction, CO USA
Quick message to "To The Genesys." Would you send me an e-mail so I can get your e-mail address. I have a couple questions to ask you about the Genesys.

Many Thanks,

Jerry M

#2629 - 11/17/04 09:14 PM Re: Synth Workstations-Sequencing-need suggestions
wawa8223 Offline

Thanks. Acutally, I've been using an Alesis SR16 for about three years now. As old as those drum machines are...I'm amazed at the fact that they are STILL one of the most recommended drum machines out there.

One thing is for sure, I'm not using my MIDI equipment to it's fullest. I'm pretty good with the SR-16, but I just don't have the time to dedicate to learning all there is to know about using MIDI. Keep the suggestions coming. I'll take a look at what you guys have suggested so far.

Later,
Wawa-----------

#2630 - 11/18/04 11:33 AM Re: Synth Workstations-Sequencing-need suggestions
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by wawa8223:
Thanks. Acutally, I've been using an Alesis SR16 for about three years now. As old as those drum machines are...I'm amazed at the fact that they are STILL one of the most recommended drum machines out there.

One thing is for sure, I'm not using my MIDI equipment to it's fullest. I'm pretty good with the SR-16, but I just don't have the time to dedicate to learning all there is to know about using MIDI. Keep the suggestions coming. I'll take a look at what you guys have suggested so far.

Later,
Wawa-----------

Have you messed around with syncing the XP-60 and the SR16? You could sync them in either direction, meaning sync the XP-60 "to" the SR16. When you start the SR16, the XP-60 starts, or visa-verse, sync the SR16 "to" the XP-60, that way when you start the XP-60, the SR16 starts. In each case, the controlling peice also controls the tempo.

To tell you the truth, If I come across a mint XP-60 or XP-80, I'd like to buy one
for it's 16 layer control and then control a Motif rack or maybe just a VK8-M with it, or both!.

Bob
<><

[This message has been edited by RW (edited 11-18-2004).]

#2631 - 11/18/04 07:38 PM Re: Synth Workstations-Sequencing-need suggestions
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Hey I mean no offense by this but man what is so diffucult about the XP's sequencer??? That's one of the easiest sequencers out there. It's nothing like Yamaha synths where you yave to set up a performance for recording. The XP is so simple, and easy to use in my opinion. I miss mine and will always regret giving her up The sounds may be a little dated but they still sound good. Plus the XP has non stop loop recording. Allowing you to change tracks and so forth while the board is recording never having to hit the stop key.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#2632 - 11/18/04 09:16 PM Re: Synth Workstations-Sequencing-need suggestions
wawa8223 Offline

Squeak_D,

Well, I'm glad you feel that way about the XP's Sequencer. I'd love to have a real discussion with you about it sometime. I'm just a little intimidated by the all the XP60's functions, and the manual is a little over my head. I don't do computer recording...I'm still using a DAW. I've spent most of my time learning the in's and out's of that and my guitar, vocal, and bass gear.

Since I'm not the master keyboard player, I'm hoping for a tool that will tighten up my playing "before" I record it to disk. (ie. quantize, etc.) If you have words of wisdom to get me on the right track, drop me a line at:
wawa8223@msn.com

Thanks for the post!

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online