Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#263133 - 05/13/09 08:02 PM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Kingfog,

It's quite obvious you know very little about live playing, even less about the difference between stereo and mono, and even less again about how well I perform.

Your insults tell me much more about your own insecurities than the level of my talent.

Did you all of a sudden get this insecure, or did it start way back when you were a little tadpole?

Ian

I have performed in venues with sound systems you probably dreamed of. The monitor systems could power a thousand seat theater!

NONE in stereo. 5000 Plus loud people in an amphitheater. not one whining about no stereo. Insult has nothing to do with it.

You say you cannot perform in mono as well as in stereo. You believe your audience will suffer a lesser experience....... It's not an insult to say you have a confidence issue. Seems to be factual by your own words. And yes Fran is upset I did not jump on the "Podium" bandwagon. So be it. There are certain people one does not need stroking from.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 05-13-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#263134 - 05/13/09 08:50 PM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Yes, Bill, I meant what I said ...the sound of one Bose is boring...one dimensional...perhaps it is a fine sound for performers who aren't concerned about sounding at their best...perhaps not.

All I know is my S900 and Tyros3 sound much better with two systems.

Just because the Bose sounds boring to me, doesn't mean I deserve a veiled insult(I would have thought you were better than that) but apart from that, I really can't comment on the level of excitement my own playing generates, but it certainly has been paying the bills rather well these past 43 years, so I must be doing something right.

Ian

ian -No insult intended whatsoever...not at all. Take it for what its worth from a peer who has also made a very nice living doing nothing but music. How can the bose sound so clear/clean/powerful for me using a yamaha board like you and generate consistent praise & compliments? Are the people I'm performing for in the Dayton/Cincy/Cbus markets different from your audiences? Probably not...

Your comment that maybe one L1 is fine for performers who aren't concerned about sounding their best is just childish. I meant you no insult...(...and I KNOW you're better than that!)

If you're around...hell, if anyone is around Dayton-give me a holler and come with for a day and listen. If you put the time into learning how to operate the equipment properly, if you take some time for trial and error with different settings, eq's, etc. one L1 sounds incredible...that's not just me saying it, its dozens of people in my audiences since mid December. These people have no product loyalty and could give a flying you-know-what about what PA I drag in on my cart for their gig...

You're happiest working with two L1's and that's great...seriously...But you shouldn't dismiss the vast majority of L1 owners who per Bose instructions, use only one system. And are delighted with the results...

Again, no insults intended, my apologies since you took it that way...I'm more of a direct guy, it won't be a cheap shot.

Cheers,

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#263135 - 05/13/09 08:57 PM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mc:
I don�t see the Bose being worth 2500+ extra base, etc. last time I spent $2500 for one speaker, they were EAW's and they are in a different world than bose. I did demo them already at some local music stores but I really don�t find them practical for my uses. Also the types of gigs I do are large halls with 200-400 people and I can't imagine how many bose I would need to fill the room.

One, properly set up, would do fine...

Unless its an actual Bose Corporate store, take the experience of your demoing them with a grain of salt. The sales staff at Guitar Center and other national chains don't typically have a very good working knowledge of these units.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#263136 - 05/13/09 09:02 PM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
The best sound system or instrument will NOT magically make the player better although many think so buy reading some of these posts of course you'll never hear anyone......but you talent can never be covered up & eventually be exposed to the audience one way or another. Become a really good player or /singer first then worry about the sound system. Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to dinner with friends.

ciao

I agree with Donny 100000% about working on your skills and then enhancing your performance with a nice PA. First things first, absolutely...

I do think that if I made Donny use a Radio Shack set of PA speakers for a gig instead of his preferred equipment, it would make a difference. It has to do with mind set, I think. It wouldn't reduce his vocal range or make him forget how to play chords, but if it sounds brutal...some of the life gets sucked out of it. Kind of like your swimming upstream.

When I've been forced to use other people's PA's and I don't like them, its frustrating to me because the audience isn't hearing me the way I want them to.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#263137 - 05/13/09 09:41 PM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
After everyone left tonight, I send the left signal to the Compact and the right signal to the original L1. Of course I had to adjust the volumes to match. Sound WAS phenomenal.
It won't make me another nickel, but it's like sitting in a recording studio.
I may get another Compact and reserve the big L1 for situations where I need all that power.
And yes, one L1 will more than adequately handle 300 people.
I played twice at an outdoor car-racing track, up in the grandstand, and the sound covered the entire stadium easily. There were about 400-500 people there. (However there were no cars running-just an award ceremony.)
DonM

#263138 - 05/13/09 10:38 PM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
You say you cannot perform in mono as well as in stereo. You believe your audience will suffer a lesser experience....... It's not an insult to say you have a confidence issue. Seems to be factual by your own words.

Yeah, it was an insult, but considering that when you point your finger at me, you have three pointing back at yourself, so I'd say it is you that has the confidence problem.

Look pal, we are all very glad you had your time performing your little Karaoke thing, and it's too bad that it's all over and all you have is the memories and some pictures, but your time would be much better served if you did some actual constructive posting, instead just telling us how little you know about playing an arranger "live".

Insulting people seems to be your way of getting attention...if that's what you crave, then buy yourself a dog, or get another one, if the one you have is not giving you enough.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 05-13-2009).]

#263139 - 05/13/09 11:15 PM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
If you put the time into learning how to operate the equipment properly, if you take some time for trial and error with different settings, eq's, etc. one L1 sounds incredible...that's not just me saying it, its dozens of people in my audiences since mid December. These people have no product loyalty and could give a flying you-know-what about what PA I drag in on my cart for their gig...

Bill, before you go any further about the Bose, have you even tried using two in stereo?

Try them, and then tell me there isn't a marked improvement in the sound...several people here, and on other forums, have tried two of them and found a big jump in sound quality.

I'm sure that you'll agree that we all want to make our sound better...it's a growing process, or otherwise you'd still be using your former PA system.

I disliked the one dimensional sound of one Bose....I tried two, not from anyone's suggestion, but as an experiment, and I found that it was a very big improvement over using one.

If you are happy with the mono sound, that's okay, it's adequate for some I guess, but don't you think you'd want to sound more than that...adequate should be your staring point, not your destination.

I (and my audience) will continue to enjoy the sound of my arranger the way it was designed to be heard...in stereo.

Ian

#263140 - 05/13/09 11:33 PM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Bill, before you go any further about the Bose, have you even tried using two in stereo?

Try them, and then tell me there isn't a marked improvement in the sound...several people here, and on other forums, have tried two of them and found a big jump in sound quality.

I'm sure that you'll agree that we all want to make our sound better...it's a growing process, or otherwise you'd still be using your former PA system.

I disliked the one dimensional sound of one Bose....I tried two, not from anyone's suggestion, but as an experiment, and I found that it was a very big improvement over using one.

If you are happy with the mono sound, that's okay, it's adequate for some I guess, but don't you think you'd want to sound more than that...adequate should be your staring point, not your destination.

I (and my audience) will continue to enjoy the sound of my arranger the way it was designed to be heard...in stereo.

Ian

This is getting circular for some reason...several posts ago I acknowledged that I was sure that two L1's would make a terrific sound...I also said that was great for you...

On the other hand...

"If you are happy with the mono sound, that's okay, it's adequate for some I guess, but don't you think you'd want to sound more than that...adequate should be your staring point, not your destination."

Again, a put down of sorts...kind of a snide one at that.

You feel that a single Bose L1 is barely adequate, and those that use just one must be "settling" or something. I just don't agree...and neither do most of the Bose users out there. I think its arrogant that you would suggest that you've found this super unique way of using the Bose and that everybody else is just deaf, or has low standards. To say you've found a custom setup that works best for you is cool, but to take a swipe at the vast majority of the Bose users is categorically ridiculous...

While I acknowledge that one L1 sounds great, and two very likely sounds better...you seem unwilling to make a reciprocal concession.

I think we've exhausted the usefullness of this thread, lol...

Enjoy your Bose, as I'll enjoy mine...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#263141 - 05/14/09 01:17 AM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
You feel that a single Bose L1 is barely adequate, and those that use just one must be "settling" or something. I just don't agree. While I acknowledge that one L1 sounds great, and two very likely sounds better...you seem unwilling to make a reciprocal concession.

Please don't misquote me, Bill, I did not say "barely adequate"...I said "adequate".

Look up the definition of the word...it is not an insult.

It means..."Enough to meet a purpose" or "About average; acceptable."

I did say that one system sounded "one dimensional", and I am staying with that opinion...mono is one dimensional...I have stated this many times on other threads about the single Bose, and so have many others.

On the other hand....

If you acknowledged that two Bose "very likely sound better", and you are happy with one L1 system, is it not to follow that you are not interested in sounding better?

No arrogance on my part...I'm just more interested than you are about sounding better.

Ian

#263142 - 05/14/09 02:17 AM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Ian, do you think that your perception of the Bose sound - Mono vs Stereo - has anything to do with the fact that (I believe) you play mainly instrumentals (no vocals) and by yourself (solo, with no other musical partners or live instruments) and thus have focussed on Effects and Sounds that rely quite heavily on Stereo panning?

If that's the case, and correct me if I'm wrong here (I frequently am) than perhaps that's why you feel, for you, that a single Bose is only adequate for your needs, and is the reason you set up and prefer your show in Stereo?

This is a serious question/observation, and I'm not judging you in any way.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online