SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#263030 - 05/11/09 06:19 AM AUDYA - Ketron RESTART suggestion...
leezone Offline

here is what I don't like about the Ketron XD-3 restart. (Not sure how it works on AUDYA)
I don't like that it restarts the downbeat immediately when you hit restart.
Its almost impossible to hit the downbeat correctly.
How many times has your dance floor been packed and you hit it a hair early or late?
And then you hear that double-trigger, the beat is off for a second, and the audience looks up at you like you fk-d up?
I would love if Ketron made it so that it restarts on the next downbeat.
So this way it would always be in perfect sync.
So you hit restart at 2 1/2 measures and on beat 3 it would goto beat 1.
Isn't this what restart is all about?
A smooth transition to restart the downbeat?
To correct yourself if your singer is an idiot and rushes ahead of beat?
And if you guys think that it should be the way it is now, instant restart, why not have the option via menu to restart instantly or on the next downbeat?
Or does this option already exist?

What you guys think?

#263031 - 05/11/09 07:00 AM Re: AUDYA - Ketron RESTART suggestion...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 05-12-2009).]

#263032 - 05/11/09 07:19 AM Re: AUDYA - Ketron RESTART suggestion...
Dnj Offline

Good luck Fran with your New Roland G1000, it's funny how the older arrangers have more useful features then todays models. You should of never sold the other G1000 it had your name all over it.You certainly have a power house arsenal of keyboards now with the MS, G70, G1000, Emu. Have fun!

#263033 - 05/11/09 07:50 AM Re: AUDYA - Ketron RESTART suggestion...
leezone Offline

AJ,

could you suggest or DEMAND that Ketron give us the option of RESTART on next downbeat?

i get nervous as hell everytime i have to hit that RESTART button...

seems something VERY elementary that should have been there for the last 20 years...

perhaps i'm picky as hell

[This message has been edited by leezone (edited 05-11-2009).]

#263034 - 05/11/09 09:20 AM Re: AUDYA - Ketron RESTART suggestion...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I always thought that restarts were always immediate (that's what I remember from the G1000, Fran). That's the whole point, isn't it? When your singer gets so off time that you have no option but to match what THEY are doing... (or you have a 3/4 bar in the middle of a 4/4 piece )

Most of us have no problem hitting the keys in perfect time. Why is a button any different? From what I remember, the G70 does this function exactly the same as the G1000, except it doesn't have a dedicated button for it (it can go to ASSIGN SW, Footswitch or FC-7).

It would be nice if the OS gave the option of next beat or immediate, though, but I wouldn't want to lose the immediate option...

#263035 - 05/11/09 09:54 AM Re: AUDYA - Ketron RESTART suggestion...
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Originally posted by: Diki

Quote:
"Good luck Fran with your New Roland G1000, it's funny how the older arrangers have more useful features then todays models."

Which he'll just have to sell again, once the new Roland "mega powerhouse" Top Of The Line Arranger is stunningly and brilliantly showcased at Winter NAMM '10. Which will have Fran drooling with envy, as his ancient G1000 sits in a corner mocking him. Although, it will give him another year or so to toy with the G1000 until the new totl arranger from Roland actually arrives in stores i.e. about a year from now.

It might be best for him to just hang on to it regardless of what's coming down the pipeline in the near future though. Gear Acquisition Syndrone is a "real" affliction by the way, and to prove my point just ask Fran how much gear he has strewn around his house. One "more" piece of gear to keep (or retain) won't be his last, if you know what I mean. It's okay Fran! We understand.

All the best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 05-11-2009).]

#263036 - 05/11/09 10:25 AM Re: AUDYA - Ketron RESTART suggestion...
leezone Offline

just asking to keep as is but ADD the option to have next beat restart in menu...

#263037 - 05/11/09 10:28 AM Re: AUDYA - Ketron RESTART suggestion...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
The G-1000 isn't such a bad instrument...a buddy of mine just picked up one last month in absolutely mint condition for $500 (got a soft case and an extra zip drive with it too)...sounds pretty darn good, except the polyphony is a bit limited at 64 notes.

The chord sequencer is cool...I remember my old E70 had one too.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 05-11-2009).]

#263038 - 05/11/09 12:04 PM Re: AUDYA - Ketron RESTART suggestion...
mr9000 Offline

Welcome to the world of yammy multipads!

#263039 - 05/11/09 01:08 PM Re: AUDYA - Ketron RESTART suggestion...
Diki Offline

The chord sequencer is the greatest idea ANYBODY ever dropped...

How else can you play a solo using the bender freely?

How else can you play wild 'outside' chords over a jazz head without the chord recognition going crazy?

How else can you pick up another instrument and blow a solo without using SMF's?

First new arranger with this feature gets my money, no questions asked...

#263040 - 05/11/09 07:56 PM Re: AUDYA - Ketron RESTART suggestion...
Diki Offline

BTW, with most of it's sounds being mono, 64 voices goes a LONG way... almost as much as a 128 voice arranger if it's mostly playing stereo voices.

Put it this way... in ten years of owning and playing the bejeezus out of my G1000, I can't ever remember hearing a dropout. If the voice allocation algorithm is written well, any voice stealing that MIGHT be going on should happen to whatever voice has already sounded the longest, is further into it's decay, and sounds the quietest.

If you have heard much voice stealing in a 64 voice arranger, it may be that this algorithm is not written as well as Roland's is.

Just remember, there aren't over 64 parts in a symphony orchestra... Less is more. If you are maxing out a 64 voice arranger, or heaven forbid a 128 one , it might be time to look at reducing some of the parts or layers!

#263041 - 05/12/09 04:27 AM Re: AUDYA - Ketron RESTART suggestion...
ianmcnll Offline

One of the first things my buddy noticed and complained about the G1000 was note dropout...I imagine he plays differently than you, Diki, my friend...consider using a sound in the left, eight accompaniment parts and two sounds layered in the right...not much to work with after that...especially if a voice uses two tones.

He also does quite a bit of multitracking.

Also, considering he wasn't that enamored with the organs, guitars or the piano,(he really liked the pads and strings) the main reasons he bought it (other than the low price) was for the 76 note keyboard and the style backing, and he is planning to use a couple of Emu modules with it,(Classic Keys, and the B-3 Organ module)...that should also eliminate the poly issue.

I'm not going to argue with you about the poly problems...I'm just the messenger...he says it is an issue, and he's a pro, so 'nuff said about that.

If it was up to me, I wouldn't waste my money on one...I think he should have held out and bought a G70 (a much more mature home keyboard than the G1000), or a dedicated controller...but he wanted the styles, and I guess the price ($500) was right...it is in cherry condition (hardly played), and it does sound much better through the two Bose than his single system.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 05-12-2009).]

#263042 - 05/12/09 02:00 PM Re: AUDYA - Ketron RESTART suggestion...
Diki Offline

At that price, it's worth it just for the Chord Sequencer...!

I admit I have a tendency to reduce the ARR parts, I can play most of what I need. You also need to be careful, if using layers, to use only the mono versions of sounds, and use a bit of chorus to thicken them. Sounds about the same as the stereo ones, but uses half the polyphony. I am also not much of a sustain pedal hog (that can hurt polyphony pretty quickly if you are heavy with it).

When doing full productions on the computer, the parts get split up by what does what best... K2500, Triton or Roland.

#263043 - 05/12/09 02:20 PM Re: AUDYA - Ketron RESTART suggestion...
ianmcnll Offline

You know. it's strange, but I was more excited about the Chord Sequencer than he was, even after I explained what it did, so go figure.

I would love to have one on the S900, and then I could dispense with all the pedal/wheel antics, although I feel it would be best for doing solos over a repeated chorus or verse...not much use for the first time through.

The G1000 was in a music store that went bankrupt, and everything went pretty cheap.

I picked up a Roland SH-1000 mono synth for $200...very, very nice condition...the keys still feel like new...everything works.

Both it and the G1000 had been in the back storeroom for ages, covered over with a clear plastic paint/dust sheet.

We were lucky.

Ian

#263044 - 05/12/09 05:30 PM Re: AUDYA - Ketron RESTART suggestion...
Diki Offline

Yes, at least for a singer, the tendency is to play the head, or verse and chorus BEFORE you start soloing, so the chord sequencer has time to pick up the changes before you need it to start playing.

Instrumentals, you usually go with a piano verse or head first. In Pianostyle Mode, this helps get inversions and slash chords into the CS. Or a simple, 'just the facts, ma'am' melody sound. Then, once you have gone through the head the first time, now you have the sky as the limit the second time.

I honestly roll my eyes when I hear from people that say they tried the CS, but didn't use it much What's not to like? If you have a decent solo technique, it's about the ONLY way to use it...

#263045 - 05/12/09 10:31 PM Re: AUDYA - Ketron RESTART suggestion...
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Thanks Diki for a great idea,
my Korg naturally doesn't have a chord sequencer either, & to be quite honest,I'm not really 100% sure of what it is
( probably had one on my G800 & never used it).
Anyway, you mentioned the word solo, it gave me the idea of replacing one of my variations with a variation containing a preset chord progression. Unfortunately may make the style a bit more song specific, but with dozens & dozens of empty user style slots, it doesn't really matter.

Really makes me wish I'd tried the chord sequencer on my g800 ( if it had one) haahaa

thanks again

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
The chord sequencer is the greatest idea ANYBODY ever dropped...

How else can you play a solo using the bender freely?

How else can you play wild 'outside' chords over a jazz head without the chord recognition going crazy?

How else can you pick up another instrument and blow a solo without using SMF's?

First new arranger with this feature gets my money, no questions asked...

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online