SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#262814 - 05/07/09 03:15 PM New Possibilities for Sheet Music Display?
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
This may be something to look forward to for electronic display of music both in and outdoors. Not a lot of details given but it looks promising. See http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-DX-Amazons-Wireless-Generation/dp/B0015TCML0

#262815 - 05/07/09 04:31 PM Re: New Possibilities for Sheet Music Display?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Bob, I did not see the demo done by Jeff Bezos of Amazon, but I read the the minute by minute update of the announcement of the Kindle DX. Bezos did have a copy of sheet music on the device. My wife has the Kindle and the print quality in daylight is excellent. The DX unlike Kindle 1 and 2 have built in support for pdf files. I'm going to guess they would need to have to update the software to make lead sheets easy to navigate.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 05-07-2009).]

#262816 - 05/07/09 08:45 PM Re: New Possibilities for Sheet Music Display?
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
Scott Yee told me about this today. He stated this could be a great alternative to the music pad pro. However at the present moment it doesn't support color. But that black and white display is rated well for bright areas.

The thing is only 1/3" thick...Wow!!!!!
Scott heard a rumor that there may be a .15 charge to upload pdf's.That could be expensive!

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey
www.mikeymaestro.com www.myspace.com/kidconcert www.balloonanimal.com www.jokevid.com www.youtube.com/kidconcert

[This message has been edited by mikey_maestro (edited 05-08-2009).]

#262817 - 05/08/09 02:15 AM Re: New Possibilities for Sheet Music Display?
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mikey_maestro:

Scott said he believes there is a .15 charge to upload pdf's.That could be expensive!

Only if you use the wireless Whispernet Service that's built in. You can also send to a free kindle e-mail address to your PC or laptop and then transfer them via USB.

#262818 - 05/08/09 03:39 AM Re: New Possibilities for Sheet Music Display?
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Another cheaper alternative.

Digital picture frame prices are dropping.

For example:

11"screen, has software that converts PDF files.

$99.
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=208669744&listingid=36227200&dcaid=18006#c RevSec

Looks like the frame stand rotates to support portrait and landscape mode.
http://www.zappos.com/n/multi_view.cgi?p...ef=multi-button

You can get up to 32" for $900, and display your whole set.
http://www.smartpartsproducts.com/content/nhome/sp3200.php

Jerry

[This message has been edited by Jerryghr (edited 05-08-2009).]

#262819 - 05/08/09 07:22 AM Re: New Possibilities for Sheet Music Display?
Bob Hendershot Offline

Jerry, I think the key aspect of the Kindle display is the ability to read the thing in bright sunlight for outside work. It makes me think that a display of that type might be a much better solution for the displays we now have in our keyboards. If they can provide some sort of built-in display lighting for dark indoor or nightime outside gigs it would solve many of the problems with the displays we use today.

#262820 - 05/12/09 03:28 AM Re: New Possibilities for Sheet Music Display?
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
I own a kindle 2 and love it for reading. I have pre-ordered the Kindle DX because of the ability to display sheet music. DX has PDF built into the device and should display fine. You can always convert the PDF to a mobi kindle readable file by usering Mobiconverter. I use that all the time for manuals and it works great. No need to use their email service.

Another good thing about kindle is I have ALL my music device manuals at a button touch in front of me.

The e-ink technology is a wonderful thing for me. Just like reading paper and there is no glare no matter how bright the lights are. I am looking forward to receiving this new device.

-Linda

#262821 - 05/12/09 05:37 AM Re: New Possibilities for Sheet Music Display?
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by LindaFus:
I own a kindle 2 and love it for reading. I have pre-ordered the Kindle DX because of the ability to display sheet music. DX has PDF built into the device and should display fine. You can always convert the PDF to a mobi kindle readable file by usering Mobiconverter. I use that all the time for manuals and it works great. No need to use their email service.

Another good thing about kindle is I have ALL my music device manuals at a button touch in front of me.

The e-ink technology is a wonderful thing for me. Just like reading paper and there is no glare no matter how bright the lights are. I am looking forward to receiving this new device.

-Linda

Linda once you get the DX keep us posted on how you find it handles sheet music.

#262822 - 05/12/09 07:39 PM Re: New Possibilities for Sheet Music Display?
Bob Hendershot Offline

Linda, have you learned enough about the new DX version to tell if you can change pages with a foot switch or similar details? I couldn't tell from the data at the web site.

One of the good things about the Music Pad Pro is the ability to "look ahead" and to navigate with a foot switch.

#262823 - 05/13/09 02:59 AM Re: New Possibilities for Sheet Music Display?
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
No, you can only goto the next page with the next button on the device. This is NOT Music pad pro. This will work for me fine but for live performance probably not. I forsee a version of the e-ink technology going in the direction of the musician.

The device is used for reading and is designed to do that well. Lacking, is folder structure. There are NO organize options in any of the Kindles so searching is your only way to find your books or music. I believe they will correct that in a future update.

To have music viewable in front of me (even if I have to hit the next button) will be a pleasure as I can take this thin device with me wherever I go with everything in it and not lug music books.

Manual is online at Amazon.

-Linda

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online