Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 13 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13 >
Topic Options
#262672 - 05/13/09 02:59 PM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

You are not the only one that buys a PA for the long haul... Though you may be right that Fran and I are the only ones here that one arranger is capable of satisfying for any length of time...

Add me to that arranger list ... been playing my kn6000 since they first came out ... and I - and my audience - LOVE it ... ...
t.
PS ... of course some people might say I just don't like change - same wife for almost 46 years, worked for the same company for 40 years, played with the same band for 26 years .... ...

#262673 - 05/14/09 11:56 AM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Just completed another gig with the Compact L1. This time I used two of them. The room is rather crowded and I am forced into a corner without enough room to get the L1s behind me. There are pictures over at the PSRTutorial(in the accessory hardware section) site that show my setup and the room. It is a lunch time gig with about 45 people present.

One thing I noticed again today. If the Compact is not behind you it really sounds muffled at the keyboard. In the back of the room it was clear as a bell - strange. I play 2 gigs tomorrow and in both places I will have enough room to get the L1s behind me.

I really think todays venue was not a very good test of the 2-L1 setup so I will wait until tomorrow to pass judgment. Transport and setup though is a snap.

hammer

#262674 - 05/14/09 01:17 PM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
Dnj Offline

Dean nice pictures...good luck.

#262675 - 05/15/09 02:01 AM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
hammer Offline

Ian,
When you run your 2 L1s in stereo how far apart do you place them?

Hammer

#262676 - 05/15/09 05:17 AM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Ian,
When you run your 2 L1s in stereo how far apart do you place them?

Hammer

Hammer,

Depending on how much room is on the stage or where I'm set up, I usually have them 6' to 8' apart and slightly behind me.

Ian

#262677 - 05/15/09 12:08 PM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
With as wide a coverage that the Bose's are supposed to have, if you can't get a stick behind you, can you place it far to one side and face it at 45º? That way you and your audience ought to be inside it's 'cone of coverage'... and in stereo, doing this to both ought STILL to cover the room well

#262678 - 05/15/09 06:16 PM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
hammer Offline

Ok, only got to play one gig today. At my 2nd gig I was the first of three performers to show up expecting to play. I will get paid for the 2 hours. Now, about the first gig. I was able to setup my 2 Bose Compact L1s and get them about 2 feet behind me and about 3 feet to each side - they were about 7 feet apart. The room is an L shape, with tile floor and high ceilings. About 50 people were eventually there. I took some pictures to show the room and the setup which are posted at the PSRTutorial site under accessory hardware.

I still am not blown away by any "stereo" effect while playing preset keyboard sytles with the two L1s - but the overall sound is noticeabley fuller. I ran my keyboard about 12 O'clock to 1 O'clock and the two L1s at 10 O'Oclock and had plenty of sound even though at the keyboard it did not sound loud enough at times. The people in the rear said it was just fine. Another thiing to get accustom to with the Compacts - with the extentions in place and the speakers placed near the performer the sound goes right over your head making it a bit harder to get a feel for the sound level being produced. I think on my next gig I will try not using the extentions and placing the speakers on a table or chair at head level and see if that makes any difference at the keyboard.

What I have not done is compare the Compact directly with my Standard L1 which I will do tomorrow. Thats it for this time folks.

Hammer

#262679 - 05/15/09 07:18 PM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
with the extentions in place and the speakers placed near the performer the sound goes right over your head making it a bit harder to get a feel for the sound level being produced. I think on my next gig I will try not using the extentions

Try using only one if the extensions. That should place the sound in line with you. I spoke with Bose tech support this morning and they could give me no reason not to use only one extension, even tho the manual states to use only both or none.

Glenn

#262680 - 05/15/09 07:25 PM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
hammer Offline

Hi Glenn,
Great post - I had ruled out using only one extention because of the warning in the manual about using both. I think I will also give Bose a call tonight and see what kind of an answer I get. I will post what they tell me too.

By the way, I got your call - FYI - my wife and I are really tied up with helping my daughter with her new triplets. We take the midnight to 9AM shift, feeding every 3 hours, then my wife goes to work and we start all over again the next day. I have not even had time to practice or expand my gig stuff. I will get back to you though.
Hammer

#262681 - 05/16/09 12:20 PM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
hammer Offline

Ok, I called Bose and asked about using one extention. The tech guy said he could not recommend doing that because the manual states otherwise - on the other hand he did not know why it could not be done. He advised posting on the Bose forum and waiting for one of the engineers there to reply - which I have done. When I get an answer i will post it.

Hammer

Page 7 of 13 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online