SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 9 of 13 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#262693 - 05/17/09 09:12 AM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Well, today I got up early and decided to put all three of my Bose L1s to the test so I set them up and played them with almost every imaginable configuration and this is what I think based on my own research and playing with the Tyros 3.

First of all - using just a single Compact and my Standard Classic L1 - there is no way in hell a single compact compares favorably to a standard L1. The Classic's sound quality is much fuller and seems to bring out more of the details of the styles. I played both the units with just one chan being input and than using both chans and I think I got a pretty good idea of what each will do. By the way - I played for over 3 hours for the tests using all kinds of styles and midi files.

Then I went on and paired up the units - using the Classic and a Compact together and then just two Compacts. Well, again, the Classic and Compact combo sounded pretty darn good.

When I ran my two Compacts together I noticed a hugh difference right away and that got me to thinking so I compared using two Comnpacts to just my single Classic and now there was not near as much difference. Close enough to call it a draw to everyone but the most criticle listener.

My conclusion it that if you want the very best of sound - use a standard L1 system. If on the other hand you are concerned about the weight issue and transportation(like I am) than go for TWO of the Compacts. Yes, there was a difference in sound but not that much to make a difference to most of the audiences I play for.

I can't imagine how good Ian's Two standard L1s sound together. Ian, we are not comparing apples to apples here.

Well, that is it for now. I posted pictures on the PSRTutorial website of my test setup if anyone is interested - under the accessory hardware section. Please notice my office space is really small about 11 by 11 - don't know how that effects the tests.

Hammer

#262694 - 05/17/09 11:42 AM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:there was discussion earlier on the Bose forum about using just one extension and it was reported than it did no harm. I tried it and it seemed to work fine

Ditto here

#262695 - 05/17/09 12:30 PM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
Dnj Offline

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-24-2009).]

#262696 - 05/17/09 01:13 PM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Look guys... doesn't ANYONE have a simple audio recorder external to the S900 or Tyros?

Put up a short MIDI file. Preferably a piano piece, using the stereo piano. Stereo drums, some kind of sound with chorusing on it too (maybe a nice pad?).

Record it once in stereo, record it once in mono using the mono out jack.

Send the .wav files (NOT MP3 conversions) to me (use Yousendit if bigger than 10-15MB email attachments) and I will do the work comparing properly collapsed mono derived from the stereo with the mono out jack. I will post the results of the comparison.

DON'T play on the MIDI files. I want both recordings exactly the same.

Let's put this issue to bed once and for all...

#262697 - 05/18/09 11:23 AM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
hammer Offline

Did some math.
Bose L1 Mod 2 - total weight of all pieces is 84.6 pounds
Bose L1 Mod 1 - total weight of all pieces is 91.1 pounds.

TWO Bose Compact L1 systems - total weight of all pieces is 58.4 poiunds.

Hammer

#262698 - 05/18/09 02:02 PM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
L1 vs the Compact.....there can't be much different transport wise

Believe me... big difference.

Glenn

#262699 - 05/18/09 04:56 PM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by GlennT:
Believe me... big difference.

Glenn

And from what Ive been told so far BIG difference in sound also.

#262700 - 05/19/09 07:01 AM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
hammer Offline

This is the reply from Bose.

"hammer,
We made the decision to be specific in the manual by stating that both extensions must be used when the system is used in its extended position. It is our belief that this provides the best sound quality for the majority of extended use applications.

Using only one extension will not harm your system but is not generally recommended.

Thanks Neil"

hammer

#262701 - 05/19/09 01:33 PM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
Quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
This is the reply from Bose.

"hammer,
We made the decision to be specific in the manual by stating that both extensions must be used when the system is used in its extended position. It is our belief that this provides the best sound quality for the majority of extended use applications.

Using only one extension will not harm your system but is not generally recommended.

Thanks Neil"

hammer

Hey Hammer! Do yo have any gigs in Dallas, TX?

I would like to listen to your Compacts.

Thanks

#262702 - 05/19/09 01:43 PM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
hammer Offline

Yes I play in the general Dallas area. I play Thursday and Friday this week. Email me which day and I will give you the details.

Hammer

Page 9 of 13 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online