SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#261246 - 04/08/09 09:38 PM A big producer wants to record my songs - but
Beakybird Offline

Spurred on by some of the critiques I received here at Synthzone of my song, "In My House of Love," I rewrote a lot of the lyrics, and spent a lot of time on the drums and bass and remixing, used pitch correction, and added some lead and slide guitar to it - so it sounded, in my opinion, absolutely killer. See: www.myspace.com/larrylevin.

So in my Songwriter's Market book, there is a record producer who has worked with many of the MOST famous names in music, a literally mind boggling resume

Anyway, I sent a tantalizing email message in the subject line with "In My House of Love" attached, and later in the same evening I get a response! A long, long email. The first paragraph says that he listened to my song and then went to my myspace page and checked out my other songs, and that I'm on the right track, gave a few small critiques, but said that he'd be interested in working with me and talking with me about my goals. But he said that he's expensive as a producer- even though he charges emerging artists less - and wouldn't have any time until 2010. The rest of the email seems to me a little more form letter about his studio and what not with a little bit in the last paragraph addressed to me saying that I'm very talented. The gentleman seems very nice and smart.

I would think that since this guy has worked with all these famous people that he must really think that I'm good - but he's probably out of my league. I just turned 47 years old. I don't have, who knows, $50,000 to shell out on a recording project. Who knows? What record company or person would want to invest in a 47 year old guy with a big nose, no fan base, and no stellar voice?

I originally got into this project hoping to be just a songwriter, but no one's covering other people's songs these days. I might have to cover the songs myself if I'm going to have any success, but can someone who's 47 years old break into the music industry?

I'm excited and very daunted. I don't know how to respond to this gentleman.

Beakybird

I'm editing this message because the email I received states that it is privileged and confidential information and I don't want to give obvious clues about who it is.

[This message has been edited by Beakybird (edited 04-08-2009).]

#261247 - 04/08/09 09:41 PM Re: A big producer wants to record my songs - but
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
It could be legit, but I'm betting it's a scam. Proceed with extreme caution. Don't send any money unless you FULLY check his credentials, meet him in person, and be sure that person is who he claims to be.
DonM

#261248 - 04/08/09 09:49 PM Re: A big producer wants to record my songs - but
Beakybird Offline

His credentials are in Wikipedia and answers.com. His accomplishments pop up all over in a google search of his name.

Also you cannot be in Songwriter's Market and make up that you have worked with all these famous people.

Beakybird

#261249 - 04/08/09 09:59 PM Re: A big producer wants to record my songs - but
Dnj Offline

#261250 - 04/08/09 10:09 PM Re: A big producer wants to record my songs - but
Beakybird Offline

OK, I'll see if I can get the book out at my local library, but why would someone who has won Grammy's and many platinum records need to scam people to make money? You would think that people would be in line to pay such a person money, and he could be discriminating with who he wants to work with.

Beakybird

#261251 - 04/09/09 04:41 AM Re: A big producer wants to record my songs - but
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Be very careful... This could easily be a scam. It's very possible this person is simply posing as this producer. There's enough info on the web about this producer for anyone to easily set up a bogus account on any server. This isn't an uncommon scam either. I've seen many scams over the years where musicians get taken for 1000's of dollars. The bogus producer shows interest.., emails are exchanged.., excitement starts to bubble.., you begin to think WOW this big top name wants me.., ect, ect. Then after they got you all worked up they'll request a DEPOSIT to get the ball rolling... You pay the deposit and that ball rolls ONE way.., and it's not in your direction, but the pocket of the scammer.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 04-09-2009).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#261252 - 04/09/09 05:37 AM Re: A big producer wants to record my songs - but
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
As much as I'd love to see "one of us" normal guys break through, I have a strong sense that you should step away from this person and quickly and quietly as possible.

You're middle aged, probably have your life pretty well set up how you like it. Not sure if you have a family or not, but if you do whatever risks you expose yourself to also get exposed to them with whatever this might be.

INO, You have a lot to lose if this turns out to be a scam. You're really good at what you currently do.

My first thought is that-if this "big time" producer really thought you were the next big thing-money would be meaningless to him. At his level, he doesn't need to hedge his best by asking this "starving artist type" for any money at all. If he was legit and as powerful as you indicate he is, he'd be putting things in motion and not allowing any cash from you to slow things down one nanosecond.

Think about it...The potential return on his investment is mammoth. Why in the world would he ask for $$$ up front?

Be really careful...

I'm 48, also have a big nose, have a micro small fan base and a good voice and I KNOW I'm not hitting the big time...

Good luck-

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 04-09-2009).]

#261253 - 04/09/09 06:07 AM Re: A big producer wants to record my songs - but
Beakybird Offline

Well, I sent an email to the address in Songwriter's Market, and got a reply the same day.

The person didn't say that he was going to work with me individually. He said that he has a fully staffed studio - making it sound like I would be working primarily with his staff.

He warned me in the email that he might be too expensive for me and that he wouldn't be able to schedule me until 2010 - actually he says that he wouldn't want to schedule me until 2010 because I should get my career started before I go into an expensive studio with a platinum producer.

I'll investigate more. Nothing with his name comes up in Google when inserting the word "scam" in the search.

Beakybird

[This message has been edited by Beakybird (edited 04-09-2009).]

#261254 - 04/09/09 06:43 AM Re: A big producer wants to record my songs - but
Musicman22 Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, Fl.
You NEVER pay a producer. If anything, they may give you an advance against royalties which if a record is successful with be deducted later on.
He will probably want the publishing on the song or songs too.
Get a good entertainment lawyer to read over contracts.
In a nutshell, that's how it works.
Do not give him any money.
Good luck

#261255 - 04/09/09 08:42 AM Re: A big producer wants to record my songs - but
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
That's right....NEVER pay a producer under these circumstances, unless you're prepared to self-publish and promote. Then, he's your employee...you call the shots and are responsible for project success or failure. A legit deal usually involves a recording contract with a label, who pays the producer and other expenses. Sometimes, draws and recording and other expenses come as a percentage of record sales. The guys in Exile told me that it took three years to pay back all the "up-fronts" after they started selling records.

One of their producers was Mike Chapman, who was paid by the label.

The guy probably has a marketing staff selling production talent. It's not unheard of for an individual to hire a producer, especially if he/she creates a label.

This is probably a legit person, but it's definately not a recording contract offer.

Don't do it!

R.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online