Spurred on by some of the critiques I received here at Synthzone of my song, "In My House of Love," I rewrote a lot of the lyrics, and spent a lot of time on the drums and bass and remixing, used pitch correction, and added some lead and slide guitar to it - so it sounded, in my opinion, absolutely killer. See: www.myspace.com/larrylevin.

So in my Songwriter's Market book, there is a record producer who has worked with many of the MOST famous names in music, a literally mind boggling resume

Anyway, I sent a tantalizing email message in the subject line with "In My House of Love" attached, and later in the same evening I get a response! A long, long email. The first paragraph says that he listened to my song and then went to my myspace page and checked out my other songs, and that I'm on the right track, gave a few small critiques, but said that he'd be interested in working with me and talking with me about my goals. But he said that he's expensive as a producer- even though he charges emerging artists less - and wouldn't have any time until 2010. The rest of the email seems to me a little more form letter about his studio and what not with a little bit in the last paragraph addressed to me saying that I'm very talented. The gentleman seems very nice and smart.

I would think that since this guy has worked with all these famous people that he must really think that I'm good - but he's probably out of my league. I just turned 47 years old. I don't have, who knows, $50,000 to shell out on a recording project. Who knows? What record company or person would want to invest in a 47 year old guy with a big nose, no fan base, and no stellar voice?

I originally got into this project hoping to be just a songwriter, but no one's covering other people's songs these days. I might have to cover the songs myself if I'm going to have any success, but can someone who's 47 years old break into the music industry?

I'm excited and very daunted. I don't know how to respond to this gentleman.

Beakybird

I'm editing this message because the email I received states that it is privileged and confidential information and I don't want to give obvious clues about who it is.

[This message has been edited by Beakybird (edited 04-08-2009).]