SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#260982 - 04/03/09 09:19 PM Senior care facilities and comments on annoyances
Lucky2Bhere Offline

I was playing a senior care facility today when I had one resident (probably medicated) stand up and get right in my face for minutes blocking my view of the audience. This is not the first time, and I realize most don’t know what they’re doing so I lay the blame on the staff who are sitting around in their own world and doing their own thing and not paying attention.

But I’m being paid to entertain so I‘m dedicated to what I do, no different from the rest of you.

I tend to get a little bothered when things like this happen when they don‘t have to. What are YOUR OWN senior care facility annoyances that don’t have to “happen” when you’re performing? And how do YOU deal with it?

Here’s some of mine:

1) attendants who sit there reading a book or magazine while one of the residents gets up and stands right in front of you and is about to trip over the wires or fall on your keyboard

2) attendants who talk loudly amongst themselves or who enter the room and start talking across it while you’re performing

3) attendants who interrupt the flow of the music for the resident to serve them the customary cake dessert. It takes time to engage the concentration of the listeners and then you lose it when they’re interrupted for sweets.

4) AD’s who forget to submit your invoice and it takes you two months (when you don’t get a check in the mail) to find out.

On #3 above, I’m undecided on this one…I could be wrong. What do you think?

Lucky

#260983 - 04/04/09 03:03 AM Re: Senior care facilities and comments on annoyances
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
Glad to see that 2 is not only confined to Australia.

Another annoyance is to turn up and find that they are not expecting you.

Cousin Ken

#260984 - 04/04/09 04:31 AM Re: Senior care facilities and comments on annoyances
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Did once only, back in 1999 and NEVER AGAIN
even if they bought me a Wersi Scala.
I missunderstood them at the time, i thought it
was a SCF and i ended up in a crazy house,
almost lost my equipement.

#260985 - 04/04/09 04:58 AM Re: Senior care facilities and comments on annoyances
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Once you begin to lose sensitivity to the seniors and the job becomes the important issue it may be time for you to find other places to bring your talent.
Understanding is not enough, you must feel for them and pray that if ever reach their position someone will be kind to you.

John C.

#260986 - 04/04/09 05:47 AM Re: Senior care facilities and comments on annoyances
moldmaker Offline

Loc: Illinois
Very well said John!
Wally

#260987 - 04/04/09 08:07 AM Re: Senior care facilities and comments on annoyances
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
From doing this 14 years or so, I have some thoughts on this...

1) Being left alone: We should never, ever be left alone during an activity with either an assisted living or traditional nursing home crowd. Too many things can go wrong and its not our responsibility to correct them. Fact is, we're not technically allowed to even push a wheelchair. When I'm left alone, I make sure to alert the AD that I'm not comfortable with it. In the few cases where it persisted, I dropped the account.

2) Inattentiveness of Activity Staff: Residents will get up and wander, especially in secured Alztheimers Units. Awareness is key...Memory Loss patients are erratic, quickly agitated and at times physically violent. Always pay attention when your playing on these units. For the average nursing home jobs, usually I'll just calmly announce over the mic that "Joe" needs a hand getting back to his seat, can you help him?" Usually does the trick...

3) Attendees talking loudly/interrupting the show: If its work related that's one thing, if its just two employees gabbing rudely with each other, I'll point them out and invite them to come up front and help me out. They usually quickly pipe down or leave, lol...(Family members can be a big pain in the ass. Too often they'll come in and try and visit with the resident in the middle of the program and their conversation distracts the other residents. This is a touchy one to go after, so I usually just let it go...)

4) Serving of food: Doesn't bother me in the least. If you've got some big dramatic ballad or hymn or something, save it for when they're done serving food. My biggest problem related to this is when the residents drop their drinks to clap along or something, lol...Likewise, taking a resident to the restroom for example also doesn't bother me at all.

5) In the US, we have something called "HIPPA" which protects patients privacy. You should know that it is a violation of the HIPPA code for a nurse to administer any meds to a resident during an activity. If a state surveyor witnesses it, it will certainly be noted.

6) Billing: Yes, this isn't nearly as efficient as it should be. Any payment rendered within 30-45 days is very reasonable. The important thing for me is an awareness of how a particular client processes check requests. If I'm told it'll be in my hands in 30 days, that's great-I'll plan accordingly. If the standard is to hand it to me that day, and then you tell me "Oh by the way, I don't have your check, because XXXXXXXXX...." Well, I'm not happy about it. Contracts can help sometimes. In my area, most clients will throw up on their shoes if you start asking them for contracts. In other areas, like where Mr. Diamond is, contracts are common.

For most of the issues you mentioned, a cordial chat with your activity director should help...

Cheers-

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#260988 - 04/04/09 08:10 AM Re: Senior care facilities and comments on annoyances
Beakybird Offline

I have to say ditto - definitely.

I can add something else I have experienced several times in the last couple months at two facilities.

In the middle of my performance a staff member will come and ask each resident if they want to leave the performance for Holy Communion!

At one facility, the priest has interrupted my performance twice to give communion right there. Then I go right into "You Ain't Nothin' But a Hound Dog." Crazy.

Beakybird

#260989 - 04/04/09 08:12 AM Re: Senior care facilities and comments on annoyances
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by bruno123:

Once you begin to lose sensitivity to the seniors and the job becomes the important issue it may be time for you to find other places to bring your talent.
Understanding is not enough, you must feel for them and pray that if ever reach their position someone will be kind to you.

John C.

I think all that Lucky was getting at was things that can cause distractions during a program where we're trying our best to provide these terrific folks some entertainment and diversion during their day.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#260990 - 04/04/09 08:15 AM Re: Senior care facilities and comments on annoyances
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:

I can add something else I have experienced several times in the last couple months at two facilities.

In the middle of my performance a staff member will come and ask each resident if they want to leave the performance for Holy Communion!

At one facility, the priest has interrupted my performance twice to give communion right there. Then I go right into "You Ain't Nothin' But a Hound Dog." Crazy.

Beakybird

I've never had that happen, lol...

Perfect choice of tune though to come right back with.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#260991 - 04/04/09 08:49 AM Re: Senior care facilities and comments on annoyances
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
quote:Originally posted by Beakybird:

Beakybird

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
I've never had that happen, lol...

Perfect choice of tune though to come right back with.

How insensitive and tasteless of both of you
... regardless of YOUR religious beliefs, the people who elect to receive Holy Communion are also receiving emotional and spiritual comfort ... and if the Priest happens to come in at the time you are playing, then SO BE IT ! ...
Perhaps a more fitting song would be "Amazing Grace" !!!

t.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online