SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#259766 - 03/15/09 04:33 AM sd5 hard disc question
jdx Offline

Loc: Liverpool U.K.
Hi.... As I said in an earlier post I have the chance to buy an SD5 at a good price.

Can someone tell me the advantage of the hard disc supplied by Ketron as opposed to fitting any other type of hard disc.

The price of the Ketron disc is very high... does it have loads of software on it and if so ...what kind?

Finally is it important to have the pattern expansion board fitted ... and how easy/hard is it to install this and a hard drive at home.

I know a few of you guys are in the know with this board and your help would really be appreciated.

P.S. (Is there an overall EQ or compressor on the SD5)...... Thanks in advance.. JDX

#259767 - 03/15/09 08:47 AM Re: sd5 hard disc question
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
If you put a generic hard disk in, you must have the mounting plate and connector cable also.
The factory drive comes with a large number of midi files. Nothing you can't get elsewhere though. I thought it was also supposed to have the MS styles, but the one I just installed for HankB didn't have any styles on board. No problem, they are readily available.
There are about 22 screws to take out. After that the installation is quite easy.
I would recommend getting the expansion memory, but it isn't essential unless you use a lot of user styles.
There is no overall e.q. or compression, other than the facility to boost or cut the bass. In fairness, it really isn't necessary because the Ketrons sound good when you turn them on.
Hope this helps.
DonM

#259768 - 03/15/09 09:00 AM Re: sd5 hard disc question
jdx Offline

Loc: Liverpool U.K.
Thank you Don..... very helpful...

When you say the MS Styles are readily available.... is that from Ketron or elsewhere.... Best wishes..... JDX

#259769 - 03/15/09 09:08 AM Re: sd5 hard disc question
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hello:

I have a SD5 to, and I had most of the previous models X1 HD and SD1(2). I would get it with the Hard drive, mine came with many styles not just from the MS series besides many midi files (I do not use them for performing, but, for learning tool is great).
I also would get the memory pattern/style expansion, if you use styles, that is a must, other wise you will be limited.
Like Don said, is a Great sounding instrument out of the box.
Hope it helps.

------------------
mdorantes

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online