SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#259533 - 04/02/09 09:31 AM Re: National Accordion Convention
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I am reminded of the Gary Larson Far Side cartoon. It showed a split pane, on the top half St. Pete says "welcome to heaven here is your harp." On the bottom pane it shows Satan saying "welcome to hell here is your accordion."

Tom

#259534 - 04/02/09 09:32 AM Re: National Accordion Convention
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Donny,

That one is an upper model of what I have; mine has two sets of reeds on both the bass and treble sections. The treble section has three tabs and the bass section has to tabs. But at least that gives me some idea of what mine is worth. I really wish I could/would take the time to learn the bass buttons but the reality is that I know I never will, so I would like to sell this to someone who will appreciate and enjoy it.

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

#259535 - 04/02/09 09:40 AM Re: National Accordion Convention
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cavanaugh:
I am reminded of the Gary Larson Far Side cartoon. It showed a split pane, on the top half St. Pete says "welcome to heaven here is your harp." On the bottom pane it shows Satan saying "welcome to hell here is your accordion."

#259536 - 04/02/09 10:37 AM Re: National Accordion Convention
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:

That's NASTY ... FUNNY, but NASTY ! ...
quote from Diki:
And Don, don't worry about the anti-accordion angst... in all fairness, most people hate bad arranger players at LEAST as much as bad accordionists!

... and some of those bad accordionists ARE those bad arranger players ...

t.

#259537 - 04/02/09 10:58 AM Re: National Accordion Convention
ianmcnll Offline

I remember my accordion days very well..great instrument...I used to call it the original roving synthesizer.

I had several, and sold the last one, a really nice pearl finish Salanti 41/120 with three registers and custom made reeds to get enough money to buy a Polymoog Synthesizer...not one of my better decisions, I'm afraid, but it did get me plenty of gigs(when it worked).

Ian

#259538 - 04/02/09 11:22 AM Re: National Accordion Convention
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I remember my accordion days very well..great instrument...I used to call it the original roving synthesizer.

I had several, and sold the last one, a really nice pearl finish Salanti 41/120 with three registers and custom made reeds to get enough money to buy a Polymoog Synthesizer...not one of my better decisions, I'm afraid, but it did get me plenty of gigs(when it worked).

Ian

I'll trade you my accordion for your Polymoog.

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

#259539 - 04/02/09 11:55 AM Re: National Accordion Convention
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by WDMcM:
I'll trade you my accordion for your Polymoog.

Dave,

Nowadays it would be a cool retro instrument and apparently parts still can be found, but I sold it to my keyboard technician at the time, and bought a mint Roland Jupiter 8, which I still have, and which turned out to be a much better decision than the one concerning the Salanti.

The Polymoog had about the best analog strings and brass (on par with the Jupiter, but different) and even had full polyphony and touch sensitive keys, but it's unreliability taxed my patience once too often, and sell it I did.

Last I heard, it resides in a small church in Lunenburg Nova Scotia, where it is still played using it's pretty decent pipe organ preset....a good thing because it was not really meant to be moved around.

Ian

#259540 - 04/02/09 03:11 PM Re: National Accordion Convention
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
That Larson cartoon needs to be updated...

Welcome to Heaven... Here's your harp.

Welcome to Hell... Which song would you like to sing, off of our karaoke list?

#259541 - 04/02/09 06:24 PM Re: National Accordion Convention
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
That Larson cartoon needs to be updated...

Well the top part would be easy.

I'll let you fill in the bottom.

-mike

#259542 - 04/02/09 07:11 PM Re: National Accordion Convention
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Don P If you are interested ...
Here is a link to the American Accordionists Association, apparently now located in CT http://www.ameraccord.com/
... you may be interested in their annual festival to be held in July in Memphis TN ...
If you look you will see the name and photos of a fellow named Frank Busso ... he studied at the same studio and in high school we were best of friends ... UNfortunately, we've had no contact fro decades...

Here is a link to the web site of a fellow who was one of the closest friends of my accordion teacher ... http://www.carmencarrozza.com/
He was featured soloist when our accordion orchestra played Carnegie Hall ...
I found this site today while looking up info about accordions ... I had no idea he was still active ...
His site lists program covers from many of his concerts... included are concerts with the Ettore School of Music (that was us )at Wagner College in Staten Island NY ...
It was very interesting for me to look through his gallery and see many of the people that I 'knew' back in the day ...
THE ACCORDION RULES!!!

t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 04-02-2009).]

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online