SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#260889 - 04/01/09 09:34 PM Difference between Motif and Tyros drums
chony Offline

Loc: New York
I went into GC and found that the Motif drums are pretty much identical to the T3 drums. Could that really be?

As an owner of the T3 and Pa2x, I think that the Tyros drums are HORRIBLE. I always thought Motif was better. Am I missing something?

#260890 - 04/02/09 12:35 AM Re: Difference between Motif and Tyros drums
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Hi Chony i own a Motif xs. i am not sure if they are the same drums as the motif classic or es?

but all i can say is the drums on the xs are light years ahead of the tyros 2.

i have played a tyros 3 and watched/listened to many demos - Tyros 3 drums are better than the tyros 2 but still the motif xs is far ahead.

there might be 2 or 3 kits on the xs that sound similar to the tyros 3 but the other 30-50 are way better.

Nick

#260891 - 04/02/09 12:44 AM Re: Difference between Motif and Tyros drums
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
I think there is a huge difference, i usually use Sampled drums on anything, not just on PA.
I have like 10 drumkits from machines like ES, XS, FANTOM, BATTERY, G1000, G600,
KETRON SD, ALESYS SR-16 and few others sampled and i use them on hard or soft synths.
It really took a great deal of time and work but it was worth it, i produced them profesionally,
the ones with MultiLayers are reproduced the same way in MultiLayers and stuff.
I personally never liked Korg drums and i had to do something. M3 drums are useless.

#260892 - 04/02/09 02:31 AM Re: Difference between Motif and Tyros drums
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yikes! What were you listening to those keyboards on, chony?

SOME of the T2/T3 drum sounds are lifted from the MoES series, but darn few, I'd say. Certainly not an entire kit. T3 claims a few sounds are lifted from their electronic drums too...

The reason I still hang with my G70 is that all of the V-Drum kits have three or four layers on all the primary sounds - kicks, snares, toms, hi-hats etc., and usually two on most others. Plus they are sampled with a bit of 'room' around the sound, that makes it sound more 'live' rather than studio 'tight' (which isn't really the sound of a real drummer).

Roland's V-Drums are the market leader in electronic percussion. To have 'drummer approved' sounds in an arranger helps enormously, IMO...

#260893 - 04/02/09 09:23 AM Re: Difference between Motif and Tyros drums
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Yikes! What were you listening to those keyboards on, chony?

SOME of the T2/T3 drum sounds are lifted from the MoES series, but darn few, I'd say. Certainly not an entire kit. T3 claims a few sounds are lifted from their electronic drums too...

The reason I still hang with my G70 is that all of the V-Drum kits have three or four layers on all the primary sounds - kicks, snares, toms, hi-hats etc., and usually two on most others. Plus they are sampled with a bit of 'room' around the sound, that makes it sound more 'live' rather than studio 'tight' (which isn't really the sound of a real drummer).

Roland's V-Drums are the market leader in electronic percussion. To have 'drummer approved' sounds in an arranger helps enormously, IMO...

I have the TD-12 V Drum module, which I use using a MIDI out from my T3, but it doesn't translate well. The velocity curves and the sounds just don't mix well with my Yamaha styles...

#260894 - 04/02/09 03:06 PM Re: Difference between Motif and Tyros drums
Diki Offline

And that's what I've been saying forever... especially in context of translated styles.

It's not just the note numbers you have to get right for a translation to work well, it's the curve of velocity response, AND the crossover points for higher velocity samples, AND the overall volume and EQ.

The translation softwares (EMC, etc.) need to take these FAR more into consideration before translated styles start to sound anywhere NEAR as good as the original style.

BTW, one of Roland's top demonstrators is STILL using a G1000 rather than go up to the G70 for his private gigs, because of the Chord Sequencer. He MIDI's into a TD module, and Fantom Rack and other gear to get the SOUND of the G70 with the benefit of the Chord Sequencer (still the most under-appreciated arranger feature EVER ) still available. Cool...

Chony, have you tried using some translated styles from Roland G70 in your T3, and send the drums into the TD? You might have better luck with the curves, etc. if the style started out on a Roland...

#260895 - 04/02/09 06:16 PM Re: Difference between Motif and Tyros drums
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Whats a chord sequencer exactly? What does it compare to with other brands?

#260896 - 04/02/09 06:45 PM Re: Difference between Motif and Tyros drums
Diki Offline

The Chord Sequencer, on Roland arrangers for about ten years (up to the G1000) was a system where, completely without interrupting normal arranger operation, the CS could record just the chord changes you play over any length of bars (either with or without the variation and fill changes you used) and seamlessly start playing them back at any time, and seamlessly go back to live chord input...

In other words, you could play the Intro, hit the CS record button, play a verse and chorus (or head), hit CS play, and the CS would take over inputting the chords. You now have a hand free for bending solos, playing two handed piano, counter-melodies, even playing a different instrument, and all the while you still control exactly when fills and variation changes happen, even change styles. And hit CS stop, the arranger still keeps going, allowing you to play a bridge, vamp, whatever, then hit CS start to go back to your Verse/Chorus/Head...

The only thing remotely similar to it is Ketron's Riff feature, which is preset chords, hence completely useless (sorry!), or Korg's Chord Recorder (can't remember the correct name for the feature) which is completely non-realtime - you have to input the chords in advance.

Roland's Chord Sequencer was the best 'third hand' feature any arranger ever had, and it's loss completely ruins the whole arranger experience for me.

First arranger manufacturer to reintroduce this feature gets my money, no questions asked...

#260897 - 04/02/09 09:09 PM Re: Difference between Motif and Tyros drums
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Chony,
have you checked the drum maps ( if available)

Drum mapping lists were available in the T2
manual, don't know about the T3.
Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
I went into GC and found that the Motif drums are pretty much identical to the T3 drums. Could that really be?

As an owner of the T3 and Pa2x, I think that the Tyros drums are HORRIBLE. I always thought Motif was better. Am I missing something?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#260898 - 04/02/09 09:26 PM Re: Difference between Motif and Tyros drums
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
What really irks me is not one store I can find in all of the Dallas-Ft.Worth area carries any of the Roland arrangers. As much as I have heard about them I would sure like to try one. Maybe someday.
Hammer

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online