SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#259513 - 03/11/09 07:13 PM National Accordion Convention
donpatt Offline

Loc: Lufkin, TX.
Hi Group,

Tomorrow I'm off to the National Accordion Convention held in beautiful downtown Richardson, Texas; just north of Dallas.

The convention is held around this time every year for the past 2o years. This will be my fifth.

Perhaps the economy has affected the line-up this year, I don't see any "big name" performers comming, however, ther will still be some fantastic players.

This year the focus is on electronic, reedless, and midi accordions. Sometimes this subject rubs the "pureists" the wrong way, but I'm glad to see that the convention planners have finally moved into the 21st century.

Featured, will be the Roland V digital reedless accordion and also the Concerto. The Conceerto is an acoustic accordion with very elaborate electronics. It has its own onboard sounds, which can be layered and played with or without the acoustic reeds, It can also be used with an external arranger.

Both Roland and Concerto (International Accordions Inc.) are sending factory reps and there will be lots of hands-on opportunities.

I am disappointed that no one from SEM Accordions will be there to demo the SEM CIAO, which is also a reedless electronic accordion. I happen to own one of these and would have loads of questions for a factory rep!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to whole shebang!! If you're in the area, stop by.

Don P

#259514 - 03/11/09 07:17 PM Re: National Accordion Convention
Dnj Offline

Don take pictures for us & have a ball!!
I love those Roland FR7- V Accordions...
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=673
http://www.roland.com/products/en/FR-7/

#259515 - 03/11/09 07:39 PM Re: National Accordion Convention
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aELx76u9dVw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TjaRzpugwY&feature=related (one of my favorites)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUjCfBo-R38&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8xZ4tmUkDY&feature=related (this is hilarious and creative!)

One of these days, I GOT to learn that button system in the RH. It seems so easy to pull off stuff that would be close to impossible on the regular piano accordion...

#259516 - 03/11/09 08:01 PM Re: National Accordion Convention
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA

#259517 - 03/11/09 08:21 PM Re: National Accordion Convention
Diki Offline

Uwe is a hell of a player!

There's someone a few miles north of me my piano tuner friend tells me has a Roland FR piano accordion. He is trying to get us in touch with each other and hopefully sometime soon I can try one of these puppies out! No dealer anywhere near to me has ever stocked these...

The direct comparison video was interesting. Seems they pretty much nailed the sound of the reeds, but acoustically the button noise and general airiness of the real one didn't QUITE come through. Perhaps those are parameters you can adjust..

I wish that Roland would make an ultra light one, maybe 48 bass or 72. And awful lot of what I use the accordion for (playing with full bands, cajun and zydeco or alternative folk pop) doesn't really need that extensive a LH side...

#259518 - 03/11/09 09:46 PM Re: National Accordion Convention
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
ACCORDION ... my first LOVE !!! ...

Diki ... the 'you tube' you labeled 'one of my favorites said "no longer available"

Jerry ...The first one you posted reminded me of Art Van Damme, one of my all time favorites ... the second one you posted said "no longer available" ...
???

t.

#259519 - 03/11/09 09:49 PM Re: National Accordion Convention
Diki Offline

Try again Tony.

It just came in fine on my computer. Still up...

#259520 - 03/12/09 08:47 AM Re: National Accordion Convention
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Anyone see Tony Lovello any more? He was general manager at a hotel in Lexington I played called the Campbell House. He was with the Three Sons for years, and his brother was a Hee Haw producer. Tony even appeared on the show at least once, which was a little strange.

He used to do special events (New Year, etc.) at the hotel...elaborate floor shows...a little over the top for my tastes, but professionally done.

Good, respected player, though, and I heard he's doing some demos.

Last I knew, he was using Ketron modules for dance gigs. He got them from Petosa Music in Seattle, a good source for accordion players. I got my MS-60's there years ago.

R.

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 03-12-2009).]

#259521 - 04/01/09 04:15 PM Re: National Accordion Convention
Dnj Offline

hey Don....so how was the convention?

#259522 - 04/01/09 05:58 PM Re: National Accordion Convention
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Don, Is the American Accordionists Association out of New York City still involved in these conventions? thnx ...

Can anyone just explain to me the 'note' configuration of the right hand keys?
thnx.
t.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online