SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 9 of 12 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#258263 - 03/02/09 09:33 PM Re: I have the Audya in my studio.
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just so you know...

The fills during the variation that are NOT called for are part of the basic .Wav recording. In other words, you CANNOT get them to stop. They recorded a real drummer, he played eight bars (or four bars, depends on the style) and played a pickup (small fill) at the end. Ketron looped this. So it comes around every eight bars (or four, depending on style) and always plays unless you hit the button for fill.

There is no AI involved. It is simply part of the basic recording (mrdave listened to the raw Wave files to confirm this).

I honestly do not get the point of this. It's all well and good if everything you play is in nice four or eight bar chunks (and in fairness, that's a LOT of songs) but when they aren't, it is very unmusical. Play a six bar phrase, and then the fill will come on bar 2 of the next phrase, NOT bar 4.

What were they thinking?

#258264 - 03/02/09 10:25 PM Re: I have the Audya in my studio.
Chevy Offline

Loc: Norway
Thank you Leeboy for your kind words.

No answer from AJ on the IA issue. I suppose that this means that it cant be turned off. Just as i taught. Guess it`s not that intelligent after all.

Martin

#258265 - 03/02/09 10:44 PM Re: I have the Audya in my studio.
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Quote:
Originally posted by Chevy:
Thank you Leeboy for your kind words.

No answer from AJ on the IA issue. I suppose that this means that it cant be turned off. Just as i taught. Guess it`s not that intelligent after all.

Martin

Chevy bro, dont fall as low as some other guys in here, yes it can, i personally guarantee
you and hold me by my words...dont just assume.
As for anyones info, AJ is also sick thats why he hasnt been around lately.

[This message has been edited by Nedim (edited 03-02-2009).]

#258266 - 03/02/09 10:45 PM Re: I have the Audya in my studio.
Diki Offline

Just out of curiosity, did the Live Drums styles on the SD-1 have the same four bar pickups, or were they recorded straight through?

#258267 - 03/02/09 11:03 PM Re: I have the Audya in my studio.
Chevy Offline

Sorry, just some frustration coming out. Just taught there would be an answer on this when i woke up this morning. The Audya is great. I love it.

And you guys, remember, it`s just a keyboard. Lets not start a new civil war about it. There is so mush more important thing to life. As health. If you are in contact with AJ please send him my regards and wishes for him to be better soon.

Thanks

Martin

#258268 - 03/02/09 11:03 PM Re: I have the Audya in my studio.
Diki Offline

Nedim, I'm not sure you understand the problem...

mrdave listened to the drum loops. The drum loops for the variations STILL had pickups in them (at least some of them). Hence they can't be turned off. Chevy THOUGHT that they might be some kind of AI thing originally, but mrdave seems to have shown that to be not the case. It's got nothing to do with the AI.

From what we gather from AJ, the AI adds things in to the main pattern, but nowhere has he said it can take things OUT.

Perhaps this time, for once, you could find out FOR SURE about something before you go announcing to one and all that everything's gonna be alright. You know, after that whole guitar chord thing.

If the main loop has a pickup or fill in it, the only way to stop it happening is to cover it up with another fill Not exactly what Chevy wants, He just wants the variation pattern without ANY fills.

About the only thing I can think of that MIGHT do this is to cut the variations in half, make a four bar pattern a two bar pattern, an eight into four. That way, the pickup wouldn't play. Of course, with audio, this may be a lot harder to make sound smooth.

Nedim, you have made styles, haven't you? Do you usually program a fill at the end of a variation pattern? Or do you leave them straight, and let the user kick in the fill when he needs it? Because, on the whole, that's what most arranger styles do. Korg, on their longer (16 bar plus) patterns sometimes put a LITTLE pickup in, but, IMO, much more subtly than the Ketron ones.. Yamaha and Roland, straight through. The user kicks the fills.

Why have Ketron done something different here?

#258269 - 03/03/09 04:02 AM Re: I have the Audya in my studio.
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
When I played the Audya, AJ told me it was controlled via velocity, so I would think it can be adjusted and /or turned off, just like any other velocity controlled command.

Frank

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#258270 - 03/03/09 05:47 AM Re: I have the Audya in my studio.
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Anyone ever consider that perhaps Ketron may not have been too privy to this issue (during production) because it may have simply been a personal choice made by the person who was actually PLAYING the drums???? There's a possibility that the drummer on his own slipped in a light fill either on purpose or just habit.

Things can and do go un-noticed by the production teams (especially if the issue was done on part by someone who's job is simply to play.., yet makes a small decision that leads us to where we are today on the issue)

Things DO go un-noticed and sometimes obvious things get overlooked in production. Alesis is a good example guys. This team has the experience to put out a decent product.., but somehow by the end of the road when Alesis Fusion went into production and out to consumers..., it was the consumer that found out someone on the design team forgot to program the code into the OS for the sequencer to LOOP! That's a pretty major mistake IMO..., so seeing something like this I can't help but think that perhaps Ketron didn't notice this or pay too much attention as they were relying on the skills of another and the players little fills here and there may have simply gone un-noticed.

Just another way to look at it.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 03-03-2009).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#258271 - 03/03/09 05:53 AM Re: I have the Audya in my studio.
Chevy Offline

Well in that case, get a new drummer and just give us new styles with no fills. That should not be so difficult.

------------------
www.jaerlyd.no

#258272 - 03/03/09 06:00 AM Re: I have the Audya in my studio.
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I haven't used this Ketron.., but I have to ask.., "Can the Audya.., (through an OS update) completey swap the current audio style loops and replace those with new ones"? Are these audio loops perm. in the Rom? If it can swap the audio then Ketron can re-record the loops and remove these minor fills.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Page 9 of 12 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online