SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 11 12 >
Topic Options
#258193 - 02/26/09 10:58 AM Re: I have the Audya in my studio.
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Chevy
I would like to hear some solo RH voices. And get your opinion on them.

How good are they. I have always heard that alone, Ketrons solo voices don't sound that good, but in a full arranger play it all sounds good together?
March 15 I will also find out for myself here in Ft. Wayne.

Thanks,
Lee S.

#258194 - 02/26/09 01:34 PM Re: I have the Audya in my studio.
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Chevy:
The sampel loading time is about 20 sec.

Can you confirm the amount you loaded in that 20 sec.?

It might be slow by computer standards, James, but that (if it is 64MB) is still pretty blistering by modern hardware keyboard sampler standards. Up until now, virtually nothing bettered the 1MB/sec rate of my 15 year old K2500's SCSI system. And the T2/3 are still glacial by comparison (not to mention completely closed sample formats, so no Akai import at all)...

The thing is, these so-called 'computer' based arrangers other than totally 'open' things like MS and OAS Wersi still use hardware chips for voice production, RAM storage, things like that. It's those data paths that put the chokehold on the RAM loading, I think...

#258195 - 02/26/09 01:53 PM Re: I have the Audya in my studio.
leezone Offline

Chevy,

can you PLEASE load let's say 384MB into the AUDYA? (or somewhere in that ballpark)

at 12:1 compression that should take up ONLY 32MB (half the AUDYA's memory)

and let us know how long that takes, if it "takes" that is.

please let us know your findings...
much appreciated...

thanks,
Lee

[This message has been edited by leezone (edited 02-26-2009).]

#258196 - 02/26/09 05:23 PM Re: I have the Audya in my studio.
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi Diki.

I understand what you mean, but the Audya is not a dedicated hardware keyboard. It is a PC in the same scene the KORG OASYS is and that will easily do 22MB/s because that's as fast as the internal HDD can feed data to the OASYS. Use an external drive that's faster and you get even more speed.

Even my KORG M3 which is a dedicated hardware instrument will load a 64MB EXPCM Library in around 15 seconds.

So considering that, if the talk of the 12:1 compression is real, then the CPU on the Audya must be very busy when loading. That's the only excuse I can think of for why it's so slow at loading data, and 20 seconds for 64MB is very slow for a Dual Core keyboard.

Regards.
James.

#258197 - 02/26/09 05:37 PM Re: I have the Audya in my studio.
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Interesting... Is the M3 data compressed? That's a pretty decent rate if those are uncompressed figures.

But let's put this 12-1 rubbish to rest. You and I both know it is false. 2-1 is about the current state of the art, and it comes at some fairly high CPU cost to decode in realtime...

The thing that confuses me is that the RAM is non-upgradeable. This would seem to point towards them using perhaps a FLASH RAM disk to store this, and might also point out why it is so slow compared to normal RAM access and transfer speeds.

What do you think?

#258198 - 02/26/09 06:32 PM Re: I have the Audya in my studio.
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi Diki.

Quote:
Interesting... Is the M3 data compressed? That's a pretty decent rate if those are uncompressed figures.

Yes, the M3 data I quoted is compressed but file sizes is a true 64MB that needs to be loaded in order for the 2:1 / 128MB of PCM data to be available.

The OASYS Speeds quoted where all based on uncompressed data.

Quote:
But let's put this 12-1 rubbish to rest. You and I both know it is false. 2-1 is about the current state of the art, and it comes at some fairly high CPU cost to decode in realtime...

Yeah and that has me worried. If what AJ said was true, then KETRON should release the technology world wide for downloadable music and much more. But if he's wrong, then as an employee for KETRON .....well .... not good and I will say no more on that.

Quote:
The thing that confuses me is that the RAM is non-upgradeable. This would seem to point towards them using perhaps a FLASH RAM disk to store this, and might also point out why it is so slow compared to normal RAM access and transfer speeds.

Hard to know really. I'm thinking that “Zipping” the files could be the cause of the slowdown.

Quote:
What do you think?

What I really think I'm afraid to say. There's a lot wrong with the way questions cannot be answered and then there's the question of the 12:1 compression.

I'm actually starting to feel a little guilty and I don't think I want to be associated with anything negative to do with the Audya because I really hope it's a success for Ketron and not a flop.

Regards.
James.

#258199 - 02/26/09 08:55 PM Re: I have the Audya in my studio.
leezone Offline

i too really hope that the AUDYA is a success,

i think what "we" all are trying to do is get answers to our questions.

our posts and questioning (at least mine) are not meant to belittle the AUDYA.

QUESTIONS are QUESTIONS and they SHOULD be answered.
FACTS are FACTS, and they MUST be told.

If we are to spend $5,000+ then we MUST know what the AUDYA can or cannot do, and hope that the postives outweigh the negatives

"we" just want honesty,
we want answers,
and unfortunately we have to keep asking, and unfortunately we don't get answers,
which as a result creates this "negative" vibe

just my $.02

#258200 - 02/27/09 03:02 AM Re: I have the Audya in my studio.
Chevy Offline

Loc: Norway
Hello again
I have the Audya in my studio this weekend for testing. I cant get the output assign to work properly. Can someone please explain to me how it`s ment to work. I need separate outputs for bass drum, snare drum, the rest of the drums, chords and right hand. It is very important for me to know if this is possible.

I will bring you a full report of the test soon.

Thanks
Martin

#258201 - 02/27/09 07:39 AM Re: I have the Audya in my studio.
leezone Offline

Chevy,

i'm not sure if you can separate the Drum instruments to different outs on AUDYA (midi). it would seem ALL drums you can assign to one out, bass to another, guitar to another, RH to another etc.

i know for sure you wont be able to separate the Drums if you're using Audio Drums, lets say percussion grooves...

#258202 - 02/27/09 07:47 AM Re: I have the Audya in my studio.
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
.... I really hope it's a success for Ketron and not a flop.

So do I, and in fact, I think most all of us do. Only time will tell.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 11 12 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online