SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 49 of 53 < 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 >
Topic Options
#257650 - 03/14/09 08:52 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
zuki Offline

Kingfrog - thanks for inspiring me to move forward with the 10s. Would love to prove you wrong. I didn't take a loss on the 450s (you have no idea how much I got them and sold them for - huh?) and your 'cheap' analogy was, well 'cheap'.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#257651 - 03/14/09 09:04 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
When HankB first got his Barbettas (very expensive by the way) one of them sounded terrible. He sent it back and they replaced it. It isn't necessarily the cost.
Sometimes stuff happens.
Meanwhile, the jury is still out. We'll see.
DonM

#257652 - 03/14/09 09:35 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
leezone Offline

it's funny when i hear something like:

"well i tried them at home and they sounded great i pumped the SO LOUD, and man these things kick @ss"

well, so do my 8" studio $1,000 Adam speakers.
but would i take them on a gig? hell NO
i know for a fact that they would crap out also

what people fail to understand is that speakers sound great at home for a reason, it's a small space

now when you're at a gig, you're in an open space, and now guess what?
you need to push them more to project sound,
the sound now is no longer contained in a small area, your bedroom

and this is why small, cheap speakers will crap out, it will happen 9 times out of ten if not all the time

it's not rocket science, just common sense...

Dom, no offense
do yourself a big favor, save up and sell those 8" and sell your Logitech, or keep them at home where they are meant to be and were designed for.

#257653 - 03/14/09 10:17 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Kingfrog - thanks for inspiring me to move forward with the 10s. Would love to prove you wrong. I didn't take a loss on the 450s (you have no idea how much I got them and sold them for - huh?) and your 'cheap' analogy was, well 'cheap'.

You go right ahead....Lessons still can be learned past 50.

Wishing for the 450s back won't make it so.you will have to open your wallet....Which begs the question why sell Mackie 450s you apparently got at a steal to replace them with Chinese no name speakers of the same size?

Do you need a couple hundred dollars that bad?

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 03-14-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#257654 - 03/14/09 10:18 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
O.K. here's the story. I had a rare weekend off from my regular job, so took them to the American Legion. It was a cold rainy night and I didn't expect many people there, so a good chance to try them.
I must add, I had them set up at home for two weeks and had them on at least four hours every day, with no problems. I pushed them hard too.
Anyway, I set up at the Legion and they sounded great for the first set. Then one of them quit. I turned it off and on, I changed cords, changed channels on the mixer, and checked all the regular things. No help. Then I unplugged from the line in and plugged into the mic in, and it worked fine, for a while, then quit again.
I panned everything to the other speaker and turned the left one off. After I took a break, I turned the left one back on and it worked fine for about an hour, then went out again. I feel it is a solder joint or something on the input that is causing the problem. I had something similar happen some years ago with a brand new Peavey and that's what it turned out to be.
The rest of the night was the same. It would work for a while then the sound would stop. It didn't go off, just quit producing sound.
The last set it worked fine, maybe because I turned the volume down some? I don't know.
I will phone the company and see what they suggest. I'm not ready to give up on them, because they really did sound good.
I don't think anyone in the audience noticed that part of the time I was only using one speaker.
I suppose that's the good thing about having two powered speakers, if one goes out you CAN make it with the other.
I usually have a backup system (Logitech) in the car, but didn't this time.
I wouldn't panic because of this. I have had problems with much more expensive gear in the past also.
I will get it replaced and try again.
DonM

don......unlike my tweeter cutout problem on stage with them....your problem sounds like a Thermal cutoff Overheating problem...
When they get above temperature they shut down....my heat sink was very very hot to the touch on these things after only 30 min...

#257655 - 03/14/09 10:23 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leezone:
Dom, no offense
do yourself a big favor, save up and sell those 8" and sell your Logitech, or keep them at home where they are meant to be and were designed for.

Well Don already has two sets of Bose for stereo if needed......& I guarantee he knows more about speakers & gear then most anyone here.

carry on

#257656 - 03/14/09 10:25 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
You go right ahead....Lessons still can be learned past 50.

Wishing for the 450s back won't make it so.you will have to open your wallet....Which begs the question why sell Mackie 450s you apparently got at a steal to replace them with Chinese no name speakers of the same size?

Do you need a couple hundred dollars that bad?

Hmmmmmmm.... gotta agree there Kingfrog makes sense.

#257657 - 03/14/09 10:25 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
What can I say...
My pair are still working flawlessly....and yes I push them...Maybe being the recipient of the first pair has advantages..

I also bought a second pair for the band...They are still working fine..we use them as stage monitors, replacing the Peavy and Soundcraft monitors...

Zuki, don't go off the deep end..like Don says it could be a fixable problem..and don't forget the company stands by the products they sell...and you don't have to worry about a 14 day return as some stores have...Just play the 10's and tell us how they are..

For me the 802's are perfect for what I wanted small speakers...small rooms, medium rooms, monitors, anywhere I need a small footprint PA system...

Like we mentioned before..we don't know how they will hold up.....but I sure won't worry about this..there are many high end sound systems, that have problems too..sometimes shipping is the biggest culprit....I can recall a couple problems Traynor had, shipping K4's..there was several complaints, but Traynor made good on everyone....sort of like OFD does with their line up...

BTW: I have done a room of about 150 people with just a pair of the 8" units...They did sound great, and had no problems...The job was a dinner table setting, and not "dance" music.......maybe soon, I will try 4 802's and the Yorkville sub...with the band, and see how it goes with "dance" MUSIC..

Don , just call Sasha, Mike or Randall, they will send another out before your phone call is over....oops , you have to wait till the next shipment..

#257658 - 03/14/09 04:33 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Dnj Offline

Good advice Fran....the voice of reason

#257659 - 03/14/09 04:40 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You'll probably get better power usage out of the 8"'s by using a low shelf to roll off your arrangers low end, or at least turning off any <90Hz boost you might have on, and muti-band compression low end boost.

There really isn't any point boosting frequencies that the speaker is inefficient at reproducing. You use up ALL your power amp headroom trying to push speakers into doing something they can't. Fran has the right idea... you want to get dance levels (even moderate dance levels), bring a small sub and suck those frequencies out of the 8"'s... That ought to clear up the thermal overloads.

For monitoring use, I'd brickwall 150Hz downwards. No point in lows in monitors, anyway (just makes the stage muddy).

As I've said before... my 824's go flat down to a very solid 45Hz, and go lower with some rolloff, but there isn't any way in HELL I would take them out and try to use them on a gig..

They are not built to do that, any more than those 802's are built to have robust bottom at dance floor levels... At quieter levels and smaller venues (like my 824's) they can stay nice and flat all you want, but be realistic... ANY gear, from the humble 802 to a Vertec system has a point beyond which it can't reliably go. Recognizing that point before you do any damage is the hard part!

Page 49 of 53 < 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online