SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 48 of 53 < 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 52 53 >
Topic Options
#257640 - 03/14/09 06:38 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
DonM - PLEASE EXPLAIN - Mabye I should send back the 10s before I use them? So far, so good for the 8s in many situations.

Zuki try them hard first and see what happenes...you can always return them if they fail...why jump the gun....can you get your Mackies back.....that would make sense.

#257641 - 03/14/09 06:43 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Exactly Ian it will interesting to hear other peoples reviews..... This is sad to hear, I thought mine were an isolated problem. I'm glad I returned them quick.....lesson learned. I'm going to go hug my Tapco powered 15"s now ...
Hearing this could make me go out and buy "another" Bose system

Yeah...you can't beat quality...that's why I hug my old 20 year old Yamaha powered monitors....never had ONE problem with them since new.

Tapco makes good gear.

If you get the Bose...get two...go stereo...I know it's a whack of money, but I can tell you, I am not disappointed, and I am very fussy and don't like to waste money.

Stereo AND full coverage...the S900 sounds incredible...the Tyros3 sounds marvelous, and even the little Yamaha P85 sounds lovely.

Best investment I've ever made.

Ian

#257642 - 03/14/09 06:57 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
zuki Offline

Donny, one sentence you're glad to have gotten rid of them and the next you're telling me to keep mine Where's Fran in all this debacle?

Depending on what Don says (please Don), it's back to the drawing board. 450s are overkill and too big - done with those and they're sold anyway. Bose is way too expensive (stereo - and I hated one unit).

I will not use these 10s. They'll sit until I hear an explanation. The 8s are fine for now until I ponder the next purchase. Any suggestions out there?

- small
- fairly inexpensive (500 tops)
- clean with nice bass
- powered (a pair)

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#257643 - 03/14/09 07:08 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
If you get the Bose...get two...go stereo...I know it's a whack of money, but I can tell you, I am not disappointed, and I am very fussy and don't like to waste money.
Ian

Sure, try this as a married man

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#257644 - 03/14/09 07:13 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Dnj Offline

Quote:
I will not use these 10s. They'll sit until I hear an explanation.

Maybe that's your problem stop listening to everyone and try these yourself!
See if they workd for you ....if not return them & go buy some JBL's, Yorkvilles, FBT's, Mackie, or other high quality speakers....whats the big deal its only gear?

#257645 - 03/14/09 07:28 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Sure, try this as a married man

Hey...I know...been there...that's why I returned to the single life with no regrets.

I figure the Bose systems will pay for themselves in less than a year(maybe sooner)...only hassle will be a bit longer set-up time, but I will work that into my schedule...transporting will not be a problem as each part is quite light.

For the very few times I need a big honkin' PA with a short dispersion, I'll rent one and write it off at the end of the year...plus, I can still use my Yammies as monitors.

I go through far more arrangers than sound systems...the latter are usually a one time buy/investment...the former change too often for me to remain with one instrument for any great length of time.

Ian

#257646 - 03/14/09 08:00 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
leezone Offline

ok, now that we know what these speakers are capable of (SMALL home studio, nursing home gig, 50 person event, small room)

can we put this THREAD TO REST?
and move on :-)

#257647 - 03/14/09 08:08 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
O.K. here's the story. I had a rare weekend off from my regular job, so took them to the American Legion. It was a cold rainy night and I didn't expect many people there, so a good chance to try them.
I must add, I had them set up at home for two weeks and had them on at least four hours every day, with no problems. I pushed them hard too.
Anyway, I set up at the Legion and they sounded great for the first set. Then one of them quit. I turned it off and on, I changed cords, changed channels on the mixer, and checked all the regular things. No help. Then I unplugged from the line in and plugged into the mic in, and it worked fine, for a while, then quit again.
I panned everything to the other speaker and turned the left one off. After I took a break, I turned the left one back on and it worked fine for about an hour, then went out again. I feel it is a solder joint or something on the input that is causing the problem. I had something similar happen some years ago with a brand new Peavey and that's what it turned out to be.
The rest of the night was the same. It would work for a while then the sound would stop. It didn't go off, just quit producing sound.
The last set it worked fine, maybe because I turned the volume down some? I don't know.
I will phone the company and see what they suggest. I'm not ready to give up on them, because they really did sound good.
I don't think anyone in the audience noticed that part of the time I was only using one speaker.
I suppose that's the good thing about having two powered speakers, if one goes out you CAN make it with the other.
I usually have a backup system (Logitech) in the car, but didn't this time.
I wouldn't panic because of this. I have had problems with much more expensive gear in the past also.
I will get it replaced and try again.
DonM

#257648 - 03/14/09 08:08 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
ianmcnll Offline

Actually Lee, now that a fly has been found in the ointment, t'would be good to learn just how big it is...

Three so far on SZ have noticed issues...Fran's cape is danger of being passed on to Kingfog...the thick plottens.

I love a good story, even if the ending might not be so happy.

Ian

#257649 - 03/14/09 08:14 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Surprise Surprise....I was wondering how many pages till the "reviews" came in.

You get what you pay for.....enough said. Pros use pro gear for a reason. I will even try to discourage people from buying anything powered in Behringer for live mission critical applications if they are going to be used every night.

Cannot imagine going so far as to sell a [air of 450's in advance (especially at a loss of value and replacement cost)of giving cheap speakers a thorough workout. There is inexpensive and there is cheap. Just like there are thrifty people and cheap people.

Thrifty people leave at least 15% tips no matter what
Cheap people look for reasons to leave less.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

Page 48 of 53 < 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 52 53 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online