SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 53 < 1 2 3 4 5 52 53 >
Topic Options
#257190 - 02/21/09 09:19 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Bet me!!!!!..

The Alto line isn't the same class as the units in question...Have you even tested them?

And don't talk the number game..it is a false concept compared to the real deal...

I can easily prove this...bring your Mackie 350, or even a 450, and I will out perform it with a 25 year old Roland Cube 100...as in 100 watts....The lower rated unit will be louder, more bass, and fuller range than the Mackies...and it is a single amp with 3 way crossovers...

Before you knock anything..try it or at least have the real world experience....I don't listen to numbers and stats..only the results...

BTW: there was a quote earlier that these units came on a slow boat from China...and it may be true, since everything is unmarked , I can't tell...but I know one thing....That slow boat from China also has the whole Mackie line aboard....

#257191 - 02/21/09 10:01 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Bet me!!!!!..

The Alto line isn't the same class as the units in question...Have you even tested them?

And don't talk the number game..it is a false concept compared to the real deal...

I can easily prove this...bring your Mackie 350, or even a 450, and I will out perform it with a 25 year old Roland Cube 100...as in 100 watts....The lower rated unit will be louder, more bass, and fuller range than the Mackies...and it is a single amp with 3 way crossovers...

Before you knock anything..try it or at least have the real world experience....I don't listen to numbers and stats..only the results...

BTW: there was a quote earlier that these units came on a slow boat from China...and it may be true, since everything is unmarked , I can't tell...but I know one thing....That slow boat from China also has the whole Mackie line aboard....

Its about the DESIGN not the little hands that assemble them in China.....I am sure I would rather use the Roland Cube over $200 "budget powered speakers"

Some things you don't have to experience. You just know from experience, you get what you pay for. You like them that's great. But it is an intellectual insult to rational minds to claim they are comparable to Mackie SRM350s.

I'm not comparing a Roland Cube 100 which are quality Keyboard amps as Roland has always been known for making great keyboard amps..

I'm looking at a "budget brand" $200 Powered Speaker with 200 single amp Watts vs a long respected brand with a 3-5 year Warranty that absolutely spanks it in every area. I would not use any 10" driver Speaker without a Sub anyway except as a floor monitor. The smaller the room the lower the volume the more a Sub is needed.

Mackie did not gain their reputation designing budget brand speakers, (That was Tapco) It is their reputation for quality and durability that commands the prices they get for them. Hell... JBL EONS don't have the positive reputation Mackies do. I don;t use Mackies. Never did. But I have heard them in action right next to many brands and they hold their well deserved reputation and price.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 02-21-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#257192 - 02/21/09 10:32 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Fran Carango Offline

Just A-B them with what ever you want...I have, you have not...that is real world experience...And don't think for a minute that the name brands are not over-rated...

Guys I passed on a great tip, if you are in the market for small monitors that will kick with the big boys....If it isn't your cup of tea...pass.....

I have experienced all of the brands, and these little guys are A-ok...

BTW: the factory has a lifetime warranty (abuse will void the warranty, such as not using line level inputs..or out in the rain)..This tops my great Yorkville warranties, and I believe edges out the Mackie warranty too..

#257193 - 02/21/09 10:47 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
Roland has always been known for making great keyboard amps..

Curious 'expert' statement, given that the KB300 and 500 series keyboard amps are some of the most vilified in the industry. I'm sure the older Cube series are ok if Fran says so, but the KB series is what most active musicians know, and everybody I know (including me) hates them (look at the dearth of them on this board which consists entirely of keyboard players).

Take what your self-proclaimed experts say (especially those who have no personal experience with the product in question) with a grain of salt.

BTW, Fran. How would you rate the mid-range? I was thinking of 'winging' them out from (line out) the K4. I would normally get the 10's but I think the K4 has enough bass for the C1, and it's 18 lbs. vs 32.

chas

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 02-21-2009).]

#257194 - 02/21/09 11:09 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Fran Carango Offline

Chas, the mid range is excellent..The single tone control is a minus/plus 12 db at 3k....this is the vocal range, and they designed it to make as clear as you would like....I keep it at unity 12 noon..Chas you are going to like these el cheapo poorly designed monitors..

Chas, I played B4 through a single unit last night...and it sounded big..

I may take my other unit tonight and play in stereo..

I will turn off my 550 watt Yorkvilles and 700 watt Yorkville sub woofer....and carry the 150 people room with just th pair of 8's....

#257195 - 02/21/09 11:21 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
These "look" great Fran, and at 18 lbs, they are right within my weight constraints.

I'll have to check these out....they look about the same size as my Yamaha MS60s but with oodles more power.

Thanks.

Just goes to further the common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance.

Ian

#257196 - 02/21/09 02:55 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Fran, thanks for the heads up. I may have to buy a couple just because it's a good deal.
They would be great to leave in the van for backup.
DonM

#257197 - 02/21/09 03:44 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Trouble is, there are more than enough small and light things out there that are total rubbish that it is basically a moot point. Small and light no more means quality than big and heavy. QUALITY means quality, no matter what package it is wrapped in...

#257198 - 02/21/09 03:53 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Curious 'expert' statement, given that the KB300 and 500 series keyboard amps are some of the most vilified in the industry. I'm sure the older Cube series are ok if Fran says so, but the KB series is what most active musicians know, and everybody I know (including me) hates them (look at the dearth of them on this board which consists entirely of keyboard players).

Take what your self-proclaimed experts say (especially those who have no personal experience with the product in question) with a grain of salt.

BTW, Fran. How would you rate the mid-range? I was thinking of 'winging' them out from (line out) the K4. I would normally get the 10's but I think the K4 has enough bass for the C1, and it's 18 lbs. vs 32.

chas

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 02-21-2009).]

Well I guess some Arranger players have different standards. Professional Players I knew and know have all come out in favor historically of the Roland keyboard product. I have no reason to doubt them nor have i seen or herd any evidance of Roland Keyboard Amps of any model being routinely "vilified".

If one "hears" a $200 Powered speaker as being great , Good for them. I would not take that opinion as Gospel though regardless of who it is, where they play,or what they play.

Arranger OMB players are a differnt breed indeed.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#257199 - 02/21/09 03:55 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Bet me!!!!!..

LOL There are some things one does not have to listen to to know what they will sound like, 10" no name $200 Powered speakers fall into that category.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

Page 3 of 53 < 1 2 3 4 5 52 53 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online