SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 53 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 52 53 >
Topic Options
#257200 - 02/21/09 04:04 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Arranger players that don't really play might fall into that category, too, Kingfrog

And yet here we are...

Don't get mad, just ribbing you a bit, there I don't dismiss anything out of hand without hearing it first. But yes, I DO like to wait and see what gets past the first blush of enthusiasm before I take the opinion as face value...

Any self powered speaker, if designed decently, will sound pretty darn good up to a point. It is how high that point is that makes the difference. Ever take a piece of stage gear home, and then plug into it without turning it down from the night before? You shake your head and go 'I can't believe I needed it that loud!'... If you don't test gear flat out, you never really know whether it cuts it, live, or not...

#257201 - 02/21/09 04:07 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
QUALITY means quality, no matter what package it is wrapped in...

True...but I'd rather go with the lighter high quality instrument and/or amp than heavier ones that do basically the same thing...that's why I'm so pleased with the Yamaha PSR-S900 and my Yamaha MS60 speakers.

Not much good getting older and not getting a bit wiser to go with it.

I gotta say, the Yamaha P85 piano midi'd to the S900 has got to be the nicest combination I've ever used.

88 weighted graded hammer for solo piano, and 61 smooth and light action for the arranger stuff.

All/each under 25 lbs...my back thanks me daily.

I usually change arrangers about every three years to stay with new technology, but my speakers are nearly 25 years old...but, 60 watts/side sometimes isn't enough for some gigs...

As I said, these powered speakers that Fran has discovered "look" pretty good spec wise....proof will be in the testing, and if they "perform" equally as well, then I'm going to get a pair.

Ian

#257202 - 02/21/09 04:17 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Arranger players that don't really play might fall into that category, too, Kingfrog

And yet here we are...

Don't get mad, just ribbing you a bit, there I don't dismiss anything out of hand without hearing it first. But yes, I DO like to wait and see what gets past the first blush of enthusiasm before I take the opinion as face value...

Any self powered speaker, if designed decently, will sound pretty darn good up to a point. It is how high that point is that makes the difference. Ever take a piece of stage gear home, and then plug into it without turning it down from the night before? You shake your head and go 'I can't believe I needed it that loud!'... If you don't test gear flat out, you never really know whether it cuts it, live, or not...

Again you confuse humility with talent. What do you mean by "play". Not many Arranegr players "play" a whole lot. thats why they play them.

I don't get mad. I can dish it AND TAKE IT...

I know many "Pro " players who can't read a note. What does that make them? You get paid to play you are a pro? You sell your work on CD you are a Pro? what is a Pro? What is a "player"? Does a "player" ever really "play" when playing an Arranger? Ah never ending questions.

Even I "the non player" would not "play" out for money using on a $200 10" Powered Speaker except as monitors.
Everyone loves what they "just" bought. I would use something awhile time before gushing over it too much. When the afterglow of a new purchase is gone the arts show up.

I personally don't have to hear them. Experience is a good teacher. You get what you pay for. That's a lesson that is very hard to learn and rarely fails to prove itself again and again.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 02-21-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#257203 - 02/21/09 09:14 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Dnj Offline

Fran is using two tonight on stage for monitors...review coming soon.

#257204 - 02/21/09 10:09 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Beakybird Offline

The frequency rsponse specs look too good to be true. That's subwoofer range for the bass response. Is this possible?

Amyway, congratulations.

Beakybird

#257205 - 02/22/09 09:40 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Well, you certainly CAN find real value for low cost these days. For example the small Zoom digital records H2, H4, H4N, have features that only a few years ago you couldn't buy at five times the cost.
I have three sets of Logitech "computer" speakers, 2 of the 2200s and 1 5500. I keep one in a bag for backup p.a., one for my computer and the 5500 for the living room surround system. All 3 together cost less than many less powerful systems from other makers. They sound great, are extremely dependable (one set is four years old) and have the best warranty imaginable. You just call them and say it's broken and they send you another one!
I have a $300 mini-laptop that is remarkable. Even if such a unit had been available two years ago, it would have been at least three or four times as expensive.
It has a very good sound card, built-in web camera, 160 gig HD, fast processor and adequate memory for everything I do.
I'm so glad I didn't look at these things and say, "That's too good to be true."
If Fran uses the speakers a while and finds fault with them, he WILL let us know.
DonM

#257206 - 02/22/09 11:54 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Well, you certainly CAN find real value for low cost these days. For example the small Zoom digital records H2, H4, H4N, have features that only a few years ago you couldn't buy at five times the cost.

I have a $300 mini-laptop that is remarkable. Even if such a unit had been available two years ago, it would have been at least three or four times as expensive.
It has a very good sound card, built-in web camera, 160 gig HD, fast processor and adequate memory for everything I do.
I'm so glad I didn't look at these things and say, "That's too good to be true."
If Fran uses the speakers a while and finds fault with them, he WILL let us know.
DonM

Don I have an H2 had an H4 that I hear somehow wound up in Louisiana via New Jersey, go figure LOL All kidding put aside based on Fran's kudos and eventually your's I bought that same mini laptop for my wife for Christmas. She's very happy with it, she was more interested than portability for traveling more than anything else.

#257207 - 02/22/09 02:37 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I have three sets of Logitech "computer" speakers, 2 of the 2200s and 1 5500. I keep one in a bag for backup p.a., one for my computer and the 5500 for the living room surround system. All 3 together cost less than many less powerful systems from other makers. They sound great, are extremely dependable (one set is four years old) and have the best warranty imaginable. You just call them and say it's broken and they send you another one!
DonM

I agree with that premise. However those are all "breakthrough recent technical accomplishments. Powered 10" Speakers have been around in their current form a long time. I don;t see anything "new and different in that design which would allow for BASS at 30HZ!!! Anytime I see specs with Bass response down to 30Hz I get really suspicious. Who are they fooling. Mackies get down to 83HZ which is a real number.

30HZ @ only 200 watts seems a tad unbelievable , especially not BiAmped.

The Mackie SRM450 with a 12" inch only gets as low as 55hz!!!

Thats where I have an issue believing I will hear the impossible.....
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#257208 - 02/22/09 03:57 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
BTW: Kingfrog, I have been discussing the 802's..they are 8"..you have been referring them as 10 " in everyone of your comments..

As Diki has mentioned, I have tried the economical and modest priced 4", 5", 6.5",8", 10", 12", even 15"...and running them wide open definitely separates the men from the boys...

This Only Factory Direct..has been a manufacturer/wholesaler for decades..They explain how they keep the cost down..They even mention how they arrive at the quality they have..and mention computer assisted in the design...

Get those throw a way units out of your mind....Try them....

I started this adventure looking at a small monitor for in my studio just to hear keyboards...We were looking at the Roland Street cubes, mini cubes, Mackie 150, and the Helicon voice models...The Roland stereo units did sound the best, but the power was not there...they are fine for a small monitoring room...the Mackie had more power (150 model)..but does not sound as warm, and compared to the stereo sound in the Rolands..you can tell the lacking sound...The Mackies were rated 20 plus more times than the Roland, but only twice the volume...The Helicon is very similar to the Mackie, but does have the edge over the Mackie...

Now to this point....After reading the add on Ebay...and reading the questionable stats..I decided to buy the pair of 8" units....less than the price of a single Roland Street, Mackie 150 and the Helicon 300....When I played thru them...it is completely a better unit than all of the others I mentioned..and I will restate..that the Mackie 350's don't touch these for power and fullness..(even though they are 10".. )

As you mentioned the Mackie 450's go down to 55...and there lies the problem..put them on poles and you better have a subwoofer....

Likewise my Yorkvilles are the same..they state down to 55, but still have more bass than the Mackie 450...and the sound is more pleasing (warm)...

Back to the 802's...the bass response is very evident...down to 20...Doesn't seem to calculate that low to me..Never did understand how they arrive at these numbers...My old Roland cubes go down to 38..and they are the best bass response speakers I have ever heard in any unit...They compete with the high power subwoofer on stage...

The 802 has a very good clarity , even in the bass..maybe this is factored into the 25 hz number....It isn't going to thump with the Roland 15" I use...but nothing else will either...

As I mentioned before to some folks, I tested the pair on stage, muting the Yorkville stuff and just using the 802's on the floor...It filled the room (around 150 people)...I don't think anyone noticed a difference..at least on stage we sure benefited from a high volume level...no subwoofer bass, but adequate....Do I have to mention...$240 a pair shipped...

PS: they haven't blowed up ..YET!!!!!!!

#257209 - 02/22/09 07:48 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Kingfrog Offline

EIGHT INCHES @ 30HZ????ANd you want me to put them side by side with a Mackie 10?

I have a bridge in Brooklyn........

But I understand you enthusiasm considering There are those using Logitech Computer speakers for paying gigs. Not even the superior Klipsh ProMedia 2.1 but Logitech..

My God, if a client around here saw someone with a Computer speaker PA, I'm not sure they would allow the act to play a second set.

If I had not read it would have never believed people would use Computer speakers for pro gig. But now I can understand how from that relative standpoint, how those Ebay Speakers can be considered on the same page as the Mackies. I still would love to hear an 8" Driver reproduce 30HZ..Ther goes the Subwoofer business...hell I would love to hear them produce 90HZ. Yeah the Roand Cubw 100 will indeed sound like and EAW/QSC Claire Bros system when compared I'm sure.

I guess one has to adjust the bar to understand the relative view of fidelity around here.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

Page 4 of 53 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 52 53 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online