SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#255609 - 02/03/09 01:16 PM Vista and music...first and final impression.
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
NO..NO...NO?

Surprise!!!! It gets a thumbs up from me..

I know..we all heard the downers and worries from those that were suppose to have tried and dumped Vista...Maybe it has changed, or they didn't know what they were talking about...

I am running Vista Premium on my new Toshiba(laptop)..With a Intel Core2 Duo (P8400) processor...and 4 gigs of ram...

This laptop is out performing any PC I own or used...and I have the considered best Pentium 4's (the pre 2006 version) on my Compaq Laptop and my HP desktop..

I listened to all of the compatibility issues from many folks...stating that Vista just plain ole doesn't work with my favorite music programs......Well!!!!!I am here to say...all except one of my favorite programs work great on this Vista machine...I have taken caution where stated from software manufacturers that Vista will not run the software...and used XP compatible mode...with great success...Also a little advice...try to install even if they state the software will not run on Vista...Manufacturers lie..

As an example...Sony (bought out Sonic Foundry) says the pre Acid Pro 6 software will not work with Vista.....Why do they say this...because they didn't and won't make money on this older software..They sell under the Sony label...they want you to up grade...

I have installed virtually (pun intended)all my soft synths, synth fonts, DXi's and VST's...Forte , and scores of my older software...all are running fine..
Also the PG Music programs, and all my newest acquisition software (YES I buy my software)...MixCrat4, Pianissimo,Bandstand etc..

The lone exception...and Roland says they no longer support this software now or in the future....My Roland/Edirol Super Quartet..a bummer...but even though I like it ..I can do without...My Hyper Canvas, and Orchestral Roland synths work fine..

My suggestion...stop worrying and avoiding Vista...Listen to a couple other folks here on Synth Zone that said Vista is fine and is getting a bad rap....I totally agree

BTW: you guys that are using soft synths are going to love the low latency that this Intel Core2 duo and Vista Premium..are providing...

A side note, My Native Instruments Bandstand, struggles to run on my Pentium4 machines, but runs smoothly on this Toshiba..

I am a happy camper

Almost forgot a biggy...I have the original Native Instruments B4...and It won't run on my Toshiba..

NI won't support this older version..they want us to buy B4II...and ...they got me..I will have to bite another bullet and get the new version..even though I always like the original more....If someone knows how I can get the old version to work with Vista...I would appreciate it....
I got it to work as a stand a lone, but not as a plug in..Using XP mode, but it hangs up(not stable)...
If not I have a organ module that came with MixCraft4..that is my second go to choice for software organ..

More later...

#255610 - 02/03/09 01:30 PM Re: Vista and music...first and final impression.
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Too late, Fran, Windows 7 is right around the corner. You'll have to do it all again.
DonM

#255611 - 02/03/09 01:42 PM Re: Vista and music...first and final impression.
Fran Carango Offline

Don, I know....but the way I look at it..I have a powerful laptop now that is running well..so No need to concern myself with "7"..

#255612 - 02/03/09 03:17 PM Re: Vista and music...first and final impression.
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Fran

I currently use Windows 7 Beta 1 and I can assure you that while there are small problems, (As you would expect with a Beta version) it smashes Vista into a pulp.

Additionally it runs well on older machines, and is as fast if not faster then XP, as well as running programs that Vista doesn’t.

Contrast this with Vista, which hogs resources, requires most hardware to be upgraded, and is a real dog in the performance stakes, means you might as well forget about it and wait for the final release of Windows 7 due in 2010.

Regards

Bill

#255613 - 02/03/09 04:01 PM Re: Vista and music...first and final impression.
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Fran,

I want to know how vista handles jazz chord voicings in real time ?

just kidding diki...

#255614 - 02/03/09 04:15 PM Re: Vista and music...first and final impression.
Fran Carango Offline

Bill, What programs will not run on Vista Premium?

I have had nothing but success...and speed wise..it is faster than my XP/Pentium4..

I know Vista uses resources more than XP, that is why I run 4 gigs of ram...

If Windows 7 is going to be faster..I can't wait..

Sorry, but my on hands experience....There are no obstacles for me with Vista Premium..

Maybe you guys have not been using the updated Vista packages..

Dan, I did notice a problem with rooted chords when playing back sequences into a PSR keyboard..

#255615 - 02/03/09 04:24 PM Re: Vista and music...first and final impression.
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
Fran,

Forget Vista, I want to know how FRAN handles jazz chord voicings in real time?

chas

#255616 - 02/03/09 04:28 PM Re: Vista and music...first and final impression.
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Forget Vista, I want to know how FRAN handles jazz chord voicings in real time?

chas

Now there is my strenght...I was taught the correct way....on accordion..

#255617 - 02/03/09 05:03 PM Re: Vista and music...first and final impression.
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
Fran,

just kidding diki...

The day a simple chord like a sus4, a dim or an aug is considered 'jazz' is the day I give up music! Heck, even COUNTRY uses THOSE!

Back OT, I think Fran is having a better time of it now that Vista has been out for quite a while. I am sure his opinion of it would be similar to those others he doubts, were he to adopt it so early...

It would be interesting to see if those older VSTi's run on a modern Intel Mac, Bootcamped into XP...

#255618 - 02/03/09 05:24 PM Re: Vista and music...first and final impression.
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
I just spent all day friday removing Vista Premium from the only machine we have on the LAN becasue the other XP machines would not print through it relibaly and all those stupid Vista pop ups asking if we wanted to continue the operation.....But the major problem was NETWOK integration with three XP PCs on the wireless and on Studio on the LAN which is usually no Internet connected anyway.

Microsoft knows they have a bummer and I'll wait for Windows 7 SP1 before we switch out.

That said there are many people on the Cakewalk Sonar forums using Vista just fine.
Sometimes the reputation is worse than the actuality.

If its not broke and I can run everything I need I see no reason to switch OS. I don;t do firmware upgrades either unless it fixes something I am needing to work or gives me something I wanted featurewise.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 02-03-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online