SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 12 of 16 < 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 >
Topic Options
#254813 - 02/02/09 01:12 PM Re: Lots More AUDYA Demos...Check 'em out !!!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by leezone:

also, i bet those pros using the speakered keyboards have the internal speakers turned off...

Some do...depends on the venue.

Just the same, the CP-300 with speakers is as pro a keyboard as you will likely find anywhere.

So, the corollary is, keyboards with speakers are used by pros.

Ian

#254814 - 02/02/09 01:22 PM Re: Lots More AUDYA Demos...Check 'em out !!!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
That's the point, lee.

There isn't a single keyboard out there with sufficient CLEAN power output and SPL to keep up with a live drummer (with NO monitor!), let alone a whole band. If you are performing at a club level or higher, you can't use the speakers (and probably shut them off for fear of blowing them).

But there are a LOT of players here that play low level cocktail gigs, NH gigs, tiny senior citizen parties where playing at club level would get you fired! However, most of these STILL use a PA... To be honest, I have yet to hear a portable arranger with a sound system good enough to sound clean on simply the piano patch at the same volume a REAL piano can do.

Add to that that even a POS home theater system completely blows the arranger's speakers away for fullness of range and volume, and costs little, I have to start to question exactly what the purpose of the speakers are at all...

And all I can come up with is the 'home' user who is too cheap or too ignorant of what his arranger can REALLY sound like to buy a decent monitoring rig. The kids don't want to haul around a Logitech system from bedroom to bedroom, and it complicates putting it away in the closet (where it remains from week to week)

But other than a practice tool for a 'pro' user, when quality doesn't matter, I really don't see the point in them. I've seen Mike McDonald on his Yamaha, in fact, I watched him and Christopher Cross personally hump the damn thing back to his car (it was a small local songwriters event - mind you it just goes to show, no matter how big you get, NO-ONE wants to move your piano at the end of the day ), but I know for a fact those speakers weren't on during the show...

For me, the extra weight of speakers, as poor a quality as they are, is not a sufficient incentive to restrict my choices to ONLY speakered models. I'd rather use a decent set of cans if I HAVE to work on it while it's not hooked up. At least there, I am getting high quality sound...

#254815 - 02/02/09 01:27 PM Re: Lots More AUDYA Demos...Check 'em out !!!
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I've seen Mike McDonald on his Yamaha, in fact, I watched him and Christopher Cross personally hump the damn thing back to his car (it was a small local songwriters event - mind you it just goes to show, no matter how big you get, NO-ONE wants to move your piano at the end of the day ), but I know for a fact those speakers weren't on during the show...

But...it had speakers, nevertheless...

And...Mike is a pro.

Thank you.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 02-02-2009).]

#254816 - 02/02/09 01:34 PM Re: Lots More AUDYA Demos...Check 'em out !!!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Don't you think though, that if they made the Clavinova in a lighter, speakerless version, THAT would have been the 'pro' choice? I KNOW that's what Mike and Chris would have preferred to carry!

Just because a 'pro' uses a 'home' piece of gear does not make it into a 'pro' piece of gear...

#254817 - 02/02/09 01:40 PM Re: Lots More AUDYA Demos...Check 'em out !!!
leezone Offline

Diki is a smart man and makes some very good points...kinda reminds me of somebody :-)

#254818 - 02/02/09 02:04 PM Re: Lots More AUDYA Demos...Check 'em out !!!
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

Just because a 'pro' uses a 'home' piece of gear does not make it into a 'pro' piece of gear...

True...you are a pro, and by using a "home keyboard" like the G70, it does not automatically become a pro instrument either.

Anything with an auto accompaniment section and "easy play" chords will NEVER be considered "pro"...when was the last time you saw a big name pro use a G70(besides yourself ) or a Tyros or a KorgPA on stage?

Not gonna happen.

Just be happy we can use these "home keyboards" to make money.

CP-300 is used by many pros.

My case I rest.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 02-02-2009).]

#254819 - 02/02/09 02:25 PM Re: Lots More AUDYA Demos...Check 'em out !!!
leezone Offline

i just wanna say that IF the AUDYA had speakers...
then you wouldn't be able to hear the difference between the Audio Loops playing the simple chords and the Midi playing the "complex" chords :-)

#254820 - 02/02/09 02:35 PM Re: Lots More AUDYA Demos...Check 'em out !!!
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
i just wanna say that IF the AUDYA had speakers...
then you wouldn't be able to hear the difference between the Audio Loops playing the simple chords and the Midi playing the "complex" chords :-)

I'm not sure if Audya is in the speaker business, but if they were, I hope they would be better designed than the audio loops.

Very disappointing.

#254821 - 02/02/09 03:26 PM Re: Lots More AUDYA Demos...Check 'em out !!!
leezone Offline

The AUDYA hype is here. What we need now are some FACTS. Or will it be like the T3 so much buildup and secrecy and then..... many people say is not that much of an improvement over its predicessor? Ye ye. SA voices but still thin electronic sounding drums and not many new styles

#254822 - 02/02/09 03:34 PM Re: Lots More AUDYA Demos...Check 'em out !!!
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
The AUDYA hype is here. What we need now are some FACTS.

Exactly!

We had the same issue with the Korg's style fill balance not that long ago.

It's always going on...it's just the Audya's turn in the barrel.

Let's hope we get some real facts and real demos that explain and exhibit the performance of the Audya's audio tracks.

Ian

Page 12 of 16 < 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online