SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#251034 - 12/15/08 09:57 PM How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

I'm curious as to how some of you other members buy your keyboards? I've never been so frustrated trying to locate a high end arranger locally that I can try out.

I wrote this in another thread:

But...I'm starting to understand today's rules of the game:

Rule #1: you have to buy a keyboard sight unseen unless you live near AJ, George Kaye or Frankie (and a few others)...and "sound unheard" unless you're lucky enough to find a salesperson who is a top of the line player and just sells keyboards for altruistic reasons to help others (highly unlikely).

Rule #2: see Rule No. 1 above

Rule #3: see Rule No. 2 above

Back to this thread: I've been talking to another Synthzone member about purchasing his E-60. Good price, personable seller, no reluctance to send my money. But...I can't find one to play around here. And he lives too far away for me to go and try his out.

I've been thinking about this all day. Do many of you buy your keyboard without hearing it based on it's reputation (Tyros, G-70, etc). Or perhaps you travel to where the store is?

I'm about ready to give up and just keep playing my antique Roland! Why change a keyboard when I'm the only one that will notice anyway?

Lucky

#251035 - 12/15/08 10:24 PM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Never... never... never.

I won't buy something unless I have had a sufficient opportunity to try it out at leisure. If that means I miss a chance to get something great, so be it. It also means the store misses an opportunity to sell me something (I only buy from local dealers).

Sometimes, you can get the store to contact the rep for the manufacturer, and see if he can bring one next visit. If not, and the store is unwilling to stock the keyboard on spec, just walk away (vocally!).

Also, don't count on the store having a decent demonstrator... if they don't stock it, how is some poor salesman likely to know how to work it? If you can't figure out the basics yourself (by reading up in advance, talking to owners here, downloading the manual, etc.), then perhaps something as complex as a TOTL arranger might not be the best thing for you...

And if you look to members here for advice, go back a LONG time reading their posts. Some here have a VERY uncritical approach to their purchases, which is fine, but it doesn't help you find the 'gotchas' and not so perfect aspects of operation.

I'm sorry that things have got so messed up, but perhaps a letter to the head office, pointing out your inability to make a purchase due to nothing to try might get a bit of action. These guys make their living on units sold. Rub their noses in your decision to NOT buy until you try, and they MIGHT go the extra mile...

#251036 - 12/16/08 01:54 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Lucky

1. The smaller the manufacture, the fewer dealers you will find, so be prepared to travel.

2. Most manufactures boards have owners clubs or forums, so just contact them and you will usually find some owners locally who will allow you to try there baby out. (It’s also a more relaxed atmosphere, and you will find out things that the salesman doesn’t know, or won’t tell you about)

3. Record some of your own songs as Midi files, and then play them back on the instrument you try, and see if you can modify them to get the sound you like. (If you can get the Midi file sounding decent, then you should easily be able to get the board set up as you want)

4. Most smaller manufactures also produce organs; however most use the same sound and style system as their keyboards, so you will still be able to find out if it will suit.

5. If you have niggling doubts after you have tried it, then by all means try it another time, but if the niggles are still there, be wary, as what start out as small niggles, can end up being a major issue.

6. Don’t expect perfection, because it doesn’t exist.

Hope this helps

Regards

Bill

#251037 - 12/16/08 02:54 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Here in the UK we are a little better of as there is a good selection of dealers who stock top end arrangers. The other option is the Keyboard Festivals in April, May & September where a number of brands are available to play with. Plus there is the UK Music festival.
After stating the above it's surprising to see keyboard players ordering a new model months before a launch without even seeing or hearing the product.

#251038 - 12/16/08 03:50 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Where are you exactly, Lucky?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#251039 - 12/16/08 06:37 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
You could try a place called Audioworks
they have on display

Korg PA2xPro
Korg PA50
Ketron SD5
Ketron Midjay Plus
Yamaha Tyros 3
Yamaha PSR-S900

And I hear the guy there is a pretty nice and might I add handsome guy

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#251040 - 12/16/08 06:41 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
You could try a place called Audioworks
they have on display

Korg PA2xPro
Korg PA50
Ketron SD5
Ketron Midjay Plus
Yamaha Tyros 3
Yamaha PSR-S900

And I hear the guy there is a pretty nice and might I add handsome guy

What no G70 or e60 Sorry Frank I just couldn't resist. All kidding put aside that is one impressive line up of arrangers to demo.

#251041 - 12/16/08 06:44 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Thanks for the shot.

I called Roland atleast a half a dozen times, and they refuse to call me back, so even if they come out with the next version of sliced bread, that doesn't show me that they really care about me and selling arranger keyboards

#251042 - 12/16/08 07:15 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Frank.., the problem is that RolandUS really doesn't give a crap about the arranger line here in the USA. They're more concerned about their sales overseas (as the numbers are much higher there). The pro arranger market (even the semi-pro market) is MUCH smaller here in the USA...

It's getting harder to find a music store today with a keyboard department. Unless you're fortunate enough to have a G. Center, Sam Ash, George Kaye, or Frankie near by it's going to be hard to locate them.

Even locally owned music stores opening their doors today are opening WITHOUT keyboard departments. What I've found over the years is that MANY privately owned music stores are owned by guitar/bass players, and even drummers, and if they do sell keyboards they never hire people who play keys. They're more interested in selling guitars and drums.

You go into these stores today.., and ask for a particular keyboard 99.99% of the time you'll hear "we don't have that in stock, but I can order you one". If you ask why they don't sell keyboards you'll always hear.., we can't find anyone qualified to operate them.., or demo them..., and the cost of running the keyboard department is expensive (which it is too).

Sadly many people today have no choice but to buy their keys "sight unseen". I also think that's part of the reason why you have your dedicated brand X owners. Since the boards are to find in local stores..., people will often stick to the one brand they've been using and because you cannot find stores that sell them, and sell multiple brands, one often sticks to what they know rather than take a chance on something they've never used or seen.

Some of you guys are lucky because you live within a reasonable driving distance to see a keyboard. Personally there's no way in hell I'd take a 6 hour round trip just to test drive a keyboard. Clealy those who find a trip like that worth the effort have much more time on their hands than I do.., and most likely have kids that are much much older than my child.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 12-16-2008).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#251043 - 12/16/08 07:39 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER buy a keyboard sight unseen! I've been waiting for the local GC to get a T3 now for a couple months. If it doesn't show up soon I'm going to drive to Washington Music in Rockville, Maryland. It's a 90-mile drive that in this part of the world with continual grid-lock traffic, could take three hours each way. I could just order one from Frankie, but until I get my gnarled fingers on the keys it ain't gonna' happen.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#251044 - 12/16/08 07:48 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
squeak_D Offline

Gary.., with all respect. Speak for yourself man. Many of the members on this forum are at a mature age. I think some of you guys have forgotten or may be a bit out of touch with what life is like "well before" retirement and closing in on the senior years.

Understand that many of us DON'T HAVE the luxury of just jumping in a car and driving hundreds of miles to demo a keyboard. The way some of you guys talk about buying this keyboard for X amount of dollars (like it's nothing) and driving half-way across the country to demo a keyboard IMO at times really show that some of you are a bit out of touch and maybe have forgotten what life was like before you COULD do all those things. Understand that quite a few members here AREN'T there yet..... We still have our many familiy obligations, work, and other things that prevent us from making such "expensive" decisions..., and don't have the time to travel like some members here do.

That's why some of us HAVE TO buy our keyboards this way. Myself.., I don't have too much of an issue buying sight unseen. I've owned keyboards from all three major companies..., so I have history with them and at the least know what to expect (based on previous models owned by these companies) I do a lot of research before purchasing sight unseen. One HUGE benefit that gets overlooked SOOOO often today is the ability to read the manual BEFORE you buy. If only people would take the time to at least read the manual prior to purchase.., it just may save them from making a wrong decision. Too often people buy then complain (after buying) that it doesn't do this or that. Well if you read the manual first.., you'll know what it can do.

There are enough sound demos on the net today to get a good idea of what they sound like....

GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#251045 - 12/16/08 08:18 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
Dnj Offline

Lucky here's another option....do some extensive YOU TUBE searches on the KB your interested in and watch & listen good...this will give you a visual & audible experience to an extent to narrow it down although there ain't too many choices as it is for good arranger KB's........with that said...you have all the discussions, pissin contests, & varied opinions here on SZ and many other forums to read & search through also. Just going to a store & playing a KB for a few doesn't guarantee happiness at all....it's the weeks after the sale that make you say Yay or Nay in regards to your approval to keep or dump it....take it from me I know A few hoiurs drive to where ever can be a fun thing......you get th try KB's, meet some new people, make a friend along the way, & learn something too....its all good.
Goodluck it your KB purchase journey & keep us posted on your experiences.

#251046 - 12/16/08 08:19 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
zuki Offline

Well, sometimes you just have to gamble. If you get a super deal on a board that you can move and not lose on, grab it.

Conservatives will wait forever and be stuck with the old model - IMO, life's too short for that.

I've bought, sold, traded and kept many boards, sight unseen. A may have lost a few bucks, but nothing major.

Not recommended for a person on their last dollar, but 'cmon, this is pocket change.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#251047 - 12/16/08 08:20 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just My Thaughts!...I'm just a Home Musician(Now)...I have been involved with quite a bit of outside Music Endeavors over the Years,Mostly helping others with their Music,Etc....
Personally,If I were a Working Musician and Note:INVESTING and upgrading an Keyboard or any Instrument,I would Not look at6-10 Hours or even 1day trip to example to Franks Store To Explore Several Keyboards...If You divide the Number of Keyboards into Hours, what does that come out to?....Number 1: You have One of the best people to Help You with Questions on each Keyboard...Number 2: You can Play each Keyboard Number 3:NO PRESSURE Number4:You will receive a VERY GOOD Price with GOOD service!...PS. I have not purchased a Keyboard from Frank.
I personally have spent MUCH more time on purchases like Carpet for the Home, Automobiles,etc....
As for Myself,I sometimes purchase New and Most of times purchase Pre-owned...Pre-owned gives me Keyboard purchase options.I can Have 2-3 Keyboards in My Music room Budget,etc...Plus change without so much depreciation...My Music is a Hobby for Me..
Gee...I see It's time to Go to work... More to add later Friends...Best wishes Harold

#251048 - 12/16/08 08:43 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
squeak_D Offline

Harold..., exactly! "Working Musician". Not everyone is a working musician.., I quit years ago. If I was still using it for a large portion of my income.., then the travel time in that respect I think would be moot, and I wouldn't think too heavily on the price of a particular keyboard as there would be a return on the investment. If you're not a performing musician.., a $2,000 and up keyboard is just that! It's simply $2,000+ that you're not going to see again. So it's not so easy for us (who don't perform or stopped performing due to other obligations) to drop that kind of dough or take a 6 hour road trip.

Again, not all of us are working musician's I know some of you guys have been performing most of your lives, but try to remember a time when you COULD'T afford to buy (2) of the same keyboard (one for main, and one for back-up)..., and when just buying ONE of them put a strain on you. It's a totally different game for the person buying these VERY expensive keyboards for home use.

#251049 - 12/16/08 08:55 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You CAN buy one from a company who will allow you to return it within a 30 or 60 time period.
I haven't done that, because I would rather buy one from George or Frank. I think either of them will allow you to return it for exchange or credit on another.
I suppose if you could try one from M. Friend and send it back, THEN buy one somewhere else, but we wouldn't do that, would we?
Or just wait for a couple weeks after DNJ buys one and get it cheap from him!
DonM

#251050 - 12/16/08 09:01 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
squeak_D Offline

I refuse to use a return policy just to try out a keyboard...., sadly many will though and then someone else takes the chance of (unknowingly) getting a board that is a customer (repacked) return.

For me...., because I don't perform anymore and don't have the luxury of dropping several thousand dollars (as freely as some here are able to do)..., when I buy a keyboard I simply DO MY HOMEWORK. I read the manual, listen to every audio demo I can, and watch every video online I can.. I read review after review (ignoring all comments about sound quality as that's so subjective) but pay closer attention to the more important comments such as build quality, OS stability, ect. I even go as far as to contact users of the reviews (if their email is available to ask questions).

YouTube is a VALUABLE overlooked option too. Not only do you get to watch personal vids posted on these keyboards, but you can contact the poster and ask more detailed questions.

Buying sight unseen isn't always a bad thing. However, YOU the buyer MUST DO YOUR HOMEWORK first.

#251051 - 12/16/08 09:20 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
zuki Offline

Squeak, I agree. A few thousand is too much to gamble, but $1000 or so, imo, is in the range to check out and dump. I believe Harold is selling his E60 for that. Who could go wrong with that purchase?

Harold, I agree with you too. It takes a long time to assess a keyboard; it's potential, ease of use, pitfalls, etc. I believe this is a must stepping stone to end up with what you're looking for. Can't do that without spending lots of time.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#251052 - 12/16/08 09:24 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
Diki Offline

The thing about buying to try is that with restocking fees being 15-20%, do you really want to pay that for a demo?

We bitch and moan enough about how expensive these things are, then risk paying 30%+ MORE for them (try three arrangers, buy the last one) than store price.

I'm kind of completely against Zuki's premise that you HAVE to gamble. I'm afraid that, unless you have not bought a new arranger for ten years or so, at best you are only getting an incremental improvement. You really want to gamble whether THAT is worth risking 15%+ of a $3000+ price, just to get a few more sounds, a few more styles, and other than that, not a whole lot else?

If you spend most of your efforts tracking down new styles, converting older styles or cross-platform styles, and getting intimately familiar with your current arranger, you will often find that the need or desire for a brand new one goes away. Unfortunately, of course, this forum, with it's rabid focus on perpetual upgrading, rather than on MUSIC (which you would think is the actual POINT of using an arranger!) might tend to make you think that, unless you are trading up for the latest thing the second it hits the market, you are falling behind.

Nothing could be further from the truth! You should merely regaining your sanity, and perhaps finally focusing on MUSIC rather than technology. A ten year old arranger, in the hands of someone that lives breathes and dreams MUSIC, will sound better than the latest TOTL arranger in the hands of someone more obsessed about specs than changes.

Every one of us has had the experience of hearing someone GREAT play a POS keyboard we wouldn't have bought in a million years. Ask yourself whether THAT guy obsesses about the latest keyboard as much as you do. Then perhaps reassess your priorities...

#251053 - 12/16/08 09:38 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Squeak, I guess I look at things from a different viewpoint. One day out of my schedule isn't going to cost that much, even if the day is spent driving a couple hundred miles to personally inspect a keyboard. The money I spend in gasoline is chump change compared to shipping costs, restocking fees and the agrivation. If driving to New England wasn't such a pain in the butt I would head to Frankie's store, if for nothing else, just to meet him and some other zone members along the way.

I'm a bit different in that I keep my keyboards for a lot longer than many zone members. I do my best to learn every aspect of the operating system and utilize every feature available on that keyboard. I only get rid of a keyboard when something really exciting strikes my fancy. The PSR-3000 was light years ahead of the PSR-2000--that's why I bought it. If the T3 is equally better than the PSR-3000, which is what I'm hearing from the vast majority of the T3 owners, and it fits within my weight constraints, it's very likely that I'll buy it. If it does not meet MY criteria, that one day trip to the nearest dealer was well with the time and money. Sending it back for a credit toward another high-priced keyboard just doesn't seem very smart from a business standpoint. In this case you would by tying up more than $3,000 for an undetermined time. And, with some retailers, that time frame may be longer than store policy allows. With some retailers you must use a store credit within a prescribed period or loose it. I'm not ready to toss that kind of money into the fire just to watch it burn.

Good Luck,

Gary, the overcautious senior citizen!

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#251054 - 12/16/08 09:48 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
squeak_D Offline

Gary we do share one thing. We both keep our keyboards far longer than most on the Zone. When I lay down several thousand bucks on a keyboard. Shoooooot.., it's for keeps man! I can't just upgrade everytime a new model comes out I squeeze every ounce of juice out of the keyboards I buy (or as much as I can). I even hold on to some boards (that would be considered dated today).. simply because I put so much work into tweeking the thing.

Some of you guys are in the position to spend the money you do..., and take these trips. I say that's great..., because at this point in your lives YOU'VE WORKDED DAMN HARD FOR IT and paid your dues (and them some). I say knock yourselves out. However, some of us aren't there yet. We still have a ways to go

#251055 - 12/16/08 10:40 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
Dnj Offline

Some how this is going to lead towards me hahahahah let the Pee Pee contest begin I got work to do.

#251056 - 12/16/08 10:45 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
i bought my E60 from an internet store, two or three months after it's release. i was the second member on the SZ to have this keyboard. had no chance to check it before. i just listen to demos, read the forums, manuals, etc.
i am happy with it. have always been. buying unseen is not so stupid once you know what you're doing!

#251057 - 12/16/08 10:51 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
squeak_D Offline

Don't take any of the comments personally Donny. I in no way intend to offend you or anyone else here as we all have diffferent reasons for how we shop.

Myself I don't have the funds to change boards often. That's why when I do purchase a keyboard I squeeze as much out of it as I can and hold on to it as long as I can. When patches start to sound old to me..., well I simply "tweek" them. I'm in a small percentage of players here too. I don't look for out of box sounds. I'm someone who likes to edit and tweek sounds. With arrangers I like to create user styles. I know that I'm not going to get the level of quality as the preset styles (but realistically it's safe to say that very few if any of us even have the gear to accomplish this).., but I do enjoy creating them.

If I was performing again.., I'm sure I'd be running through a few models myself

#251058 - 12/16/08 02:22 PM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Squeak, I understand your approach completely. That's the sensible way to approach things. And, that's coming from the least rational guy here, in terms of using good sense and judgement as far as "toy" purchases is concerned.

For a "toy" fix, get your butt to Lexington. Here in the warehouse are 100 plus guitars, 25 or so basses, vibes, Claviniva, GW-8, SH-201, Midjay, WK-8000, NP-30, a Hammond XB, 1949 M, old Micro Korg, MS-60, SD-5, A rare old PAIA string machine/piano, and lots of other of oddities...melodicas, banjos, mandolins, accordians and more. If that's not enough, add several hundred other instruments under lock and key at a "secret" humidity controlled location in town. Then, there's the stuff on location at house jobs...B-3's, Suitcase Rhodes, etc.

I'm telling ya, it's a SICKNESS!

Seriously, be great to visit!

R.

#251059 - 12/16/08 03:21 PM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
My contribution to this thread perfectly supports gary's approach...

Several years ago, I did research on various keyboards. I printed out several different owners manuals, browsed user forums, mfg. websites, etc. I made a good effort to educate myself about my options. I wound up purchasing a Korg Triton Pro-x 88.

I never touched one until I unpacked it at my home. (There were none anywhwere in the Dayton/Cincy area...)

Within a weeks time, I learned a great deal about that keyboard including that A) The piano sounds, even tweaked, IMO were brutal...and B) I had to get rid of it.

My next purchase of a high end kb, the original Tryos, occurred only after I drove 3 hours to Ft. Wayne, IN to Sweetwater Music and sat with and explored the Tyros for 3+ hours in their keyboard department.

(I bought that KB from George Kaye, as well as a few others over the years...)

That Tyros now serves as my back up board to my Tyros 2.

Truth be told, research and familiarity with the Tyros line gave me confidence when I bought the T2. Switching from the T1 to the T2 was fairly straightforward and I had no major problems at all.

The Tyros arrangers made a huge impact on my music...I love playing them and for my money's worth, they're the best on the market.

So, under some circumstances, I suppose you risk much less than others...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 12-16-2008).]

#251060 - 12/16/08 03:23 PM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
squeak_D Offline

Russ.., I talked to the wife.. We're gonna plan a weekend trip to Lexington after the new year Will keep you posted so we can figure out a date.

#251061 - 12/16/08 06:54 PM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
I guess I'm just a die hard Yamaha fan. I just knew I wanted a PSR2000, then a PSR3000, then a Tyros2, and now a Tyros3. All were bought sight unseen from dealers that have a clear "try before you buy" policies. You only pay return shipping if unsatisfied. No restocking or other charges. I like the idea of getting a 30 day trial with a new keyboard in my own home environment. My sound system, computer, internet connection...........a real-time demo. I wouldn't want it any other way. Reputable dealers would not sell a returned item as new. I see a few dealers selling returns as such, or as B-stock. The last few times I have been in "Music" stores I seemed to know more about a model than the salesman. Maybe it's not this way where you live, but this has become my accepted way to buy a new keyboard. I've come to like it this way. It is no longer worth my time, gas, and expense to drive over 100 miles to audition something I can do in my own home............and usually pay a lesser price. -charley

#251062 - 12/16/08 07:03 PM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
Diki Offline

If a dealer has no restocking fee, but can't sell the returned item as new, doesn't that eat into his profit margin? Do you get preferential treatment by being a repeat customer?

What's in it for him to lose that money on the deal, otherwise?

Why don't I get a 30 day trial from one dealer, return it, get thirty days from the next, return it, all year long? Free gear, forever!

#251063 - 12/16/08 07:10 PM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I'm kind of completely against Zuki's premise

Doesn't surprise me, but how is one "kind of completely against" LOL

#251064 - 12/16/08 10:04 PM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Well, I have seen dealers deliberately scratch items so they CAN have an excuse to sell them as demos or B stock.
I have purchased several keyboards that had 60-day return available, but only one I returned, and then bought something in it's place from them.
I think it's a valid way to go, if there is not one you can try any other way.
I'm sure none of us would purposely abuse such a practice. Would we now Diki?
DonM

#251065 - 12/17/08 06:56 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Russ.., I talked to the wife.. We're gonna plan a weekend trip to Lexington after the new year Will keep you posted so we can figure out a date.

Squeak....good for you .....take pictures for us and have a great time at Russ's Playpen! wow I'm jealous

#251066 - 12/17/08 07:04 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
squeak_D Offline

Yeah..., it's going to be fun going through Russ's collection for sure. Russ is less than 2 1/2 hours from my home too. I'll get pics.

#251067 - 12/17/08 07:46 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
zuki Offline

Been to Russ' playhouse - what a treat Have fun!

#251068 - 12/17/08 08:37 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:
I'm curious as to how some of you other members buy your keyboards? I've never been so frustrated trying to locate a high end arranger locally that I can try out.

I wrote this in another thread:

But...I'm starting to understand today's rules of the game:

Rule #1: you have to buy a keyboard sight unseen unless you live near AJ, George Kaye or Frankie (and a few others)...and "sound unheard" unless you're lucky enough to find a salesperson who is a top of the line player and just sells keyboards for altruistic reasons to help others (highly unlikely).

Rule #2: see Rule No. 1 above

Rule #3: see Rule No. 2 above

Back to this thread: I've been talking to another Synthzone member about purchasing his E-60. Good price, personable seller, no reluctance to send my money. But...I can't find one to play around here. And he lives too far away for me to go and try his out.

I've been thinking about this all day. Do many of you buy your keyboard without hearing it based on it's reputation (Tyros, G-70, etc). Or perhaps you travel to where the store is?

I'm about ready to give up and just keep playing my antique Roland! Why change a keyboard when I'm the only one that will notice anyway?

Lucky

I remember you saying you live 40 miles from Korg USA in Long Island NY.
Sam Ash in Carl Place has a T3 on display and PA2xpro to demo. Also a G70 and a used Ketron X1.

[This message has been edited by JCkeeys (edited 12-17-2008).]

#251069 - 12/17/08 12:11 PM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
mr9000 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
[B]Lucky here's another option....do some extensive YOU TUBE searches on the KB your interested in and watch & listen good[/B

I bump thee!

#251070 - 12/17/08 10:31 PM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Frank.., the problem is that RolandUS really doesn't give a crap about the arranger line here in the USA. They're more concerned about their sales overseas (as the numbers are much higher there). The pro arranger market (even the semi-pro market) is MUCH smaller here in the USA...

It's getting harder to find a music store today with a keyboard department. Unless you're fortunate enough to have a G. Center, Sam Ash, George Kaye, or Frankie near by it's going to be hard to locate them.

Even locally owned music stores opening their doors today are opening WITHOUT keyboard departments. What I've found over the years is that MANY privately owned music stores are owned by guitar/bass players, and even drummers, and if they do sell keyboards they never hire people who play keys. They're more interested in selling guitars and drums.

You go into these stores today.., and ask for a particular keyboard 99.99% of the time you'll hear "we don't have that in stock, but I can order you one". If you ask why they don't sell keyboards you'll always hear.., we can't find anyone qualified to operate them.., or demo them..., and the cost of running the keyboard department is expensive (which it is too).

Sadly many people today have no choice but to buy their keys "sight unseen". I also think that's part of the reason why you have your dedicated brand X owners. Since the boards are to find in local stores..., people will often stick to the one brand they've been using and because you cannot find stores that sell them, and sell multiple brands, one often sticks to what they know rather than take a chance on something they've never used or seen.

Some of you guys are lucky because you live within a reasonable driving distance to see a keyboard. Personally there's no way in hell I'd take a 6 hour round trip just to test drive a keyboard. Clealy those who find a trip like that worth the effort have much more time on their hands than I do.., and most likely have kids that are much much older than my child.

Sadly Thats true and applies to our store. We have 400 guitars on the walls on two levels,Drums,Amps, PA gear, Bose Mackie, 200 SF of Sheet misic, 12vBaby Grands, All the Clavinovas, Disclaviers, uprights,Clavinova, PSR lines, E lines, We have Korg, (Roland is trying to get in),

But we will not carry any workstations or high end Arrangers. (we do have a T3 which we only have becasue I bought one and the owner knew I could demo it even though I told him to save his money).If or when it sells we won't get another.

The problem is for some reason applicable to mostly keyboard players, that they buy on the Internet. They will use the store and manpower for Demos then buy on the Net for far less then we will. Because we can make more money on the space with other merchandise that will turn over at better margins. We tried it and got stuck with some workstations for a couple years!

Guitar players buy what they play off the wall whether $200 or $4000, PA buyers buy off the floor, Piano and smaller keyboard buyers buy stock.For some reason pro keyboard players are more interested in saving 7% tax then supporting a local music store. So we decided not to carry any workstation or high end arrangers and instead we carry the Korg PA50 and PSR900 and sell the hell out of them. The owner does not want an Internet presence and since he pays for everything that comes through the door within days he feels comfortable doing business like he does.

The space workstations and High end arrangers would take up can be better used for merchandise that will actually turn over at a decent margin rather then take up my time demoing them and then getting beat up by Internet dealers. We have no issue with them but we do submit to them.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 12-17-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#251071 - 12/18/08 10:53 PM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Thanks to everyone who posted here. I was in a writing mood so I thought I’d go over everything again and make some comments. Nothing earth-shattering…if you have your choice between reading this and going to the dentist for a root canal…..take the root canal!

“You go into these stores today.., and ask for a particular keyboard 99.99% of the time you'll hear "we don't have that in stock, but I can order you one"

Lucky: If there’s anything that annoys me, it’s hearing that phrase: “We don’t have one, but we can order it for you.” That’s a sweet deal...just occupy space on the block with your music store, don’t put out money for merchandise, and make a cool profit when you simply “order” one for somebody!

“If you can't figure out the basics yourself (by reading up in advance, talking to owners here, downloading the manual, etc.), then perhaps something as complex as a TOTL arranger might not be the best thing for you.”

Lucky: How many of us, if we’re not retired, have free time to research a particular keyboard and study the manual? I know I don’t. What I DO know is that I’m paying a hefty mark-up price to a dealer if I purchase from him. What is he doing to earn it? For that mark-up, I don’t accept the onus is on me to spend hours learning about it first, and then drive a distance to audition it to boot. And then if you don’t like what you hear, you start over again on the next board on the list. Time is at a premium.....I'm not retired yet.

“1. The smaller the manufacture, the fewer dealers you will find, so be prepared to travel.”

Lucky: Abacus…I assume you’re speaking Ketron-ese here.

“2. Most manufactures boards have owners clubs or forums, so just contact them and you will usually find some owners locally who will allow you to try there baby out. (It’s also a more relaxed atmosphere, and you will find out things that the salesman doesn’t know, or won’t tell you about).”

I went that route already...no takers. There’s something odd that goes on between musicians. They’re hesitant to show you their own keyboard because then they would have to show you their “chops“ also. Either that or they don’t want you to pass them on the musical ladder (why help him, he might become better than me). I’m not sure what it is. I always try and help other musicians in any way I can. Then again I play well, so maybe that’s why I have no reservations about that.

“Here in the UK we are a little better of as there is a good selection of dealers who stock top end arrangers.”

Lucky: Graham, yes, I noticed that. If you really want to enjoy playing music and experience audience enthusiasm, you move to Europe. There you’re surrounded by music, and the good stuff….not the rubbish that gets played here (anyone catch these “poor excuses for bands” that the late night talk shows sign off with every night?).

“You could try a place called Audioworks
they have on display
Korg PA2xPro
Korg PA50
Ketron SD5
Ketron Midjay Plus
Yamaha Tyros 3
Yamaha PSR-S900
And I hear the guy there is a pretty nice and might I add handsome guy”

Lucky: I had to stick this in because it’s time for a commercial break.

P.S. ……and he plays well too!

“I've been waiting for the local GC to get a T3 now for a couple months. If it doesn't show up soon I'm going to drive to Washington Music in Rockville, Maryland. It's a 90-mile drive that in this part of the world with continual grid-lock traffic, could take three hours each way.”

Lucky: Ahhhhh……now we‘re coming down to the gist of it all. Traffic and more traffic. By the time you get to where they have your keyboard on display, you’re too beat to try it out. You need to get a motel for the night and come back in the morning FRESH! Gone are the days when it took you 90 minutes to travel 90 miles. We had a brief period there AFTER the superhighways were built and BEFORE traffic was “built!”

“Understand that many of us DON'T HAVE the luxury of just jumping in a car and driving hundreds of miles to demo a keyboard...understand that quite a few members here AREN'T there yet.....we still have our many familiy obligations, work, and other things that prevent us from making such "expensive" decisions…and don't have the time to travel like some members here do.”

Lucky: a great summation Squeak does here.

“do some extensive YOU TUBE searches on the KB your interested in and watch & listen good”

Lucky: I couldn’t count high enough to tell you the number of hours I’ve spent down at the Library checking out demo’s on Youtube and other sites. Very little return on your investment time! None of these video’s shows me what a keyboard is capable of as most of these snippets are simply someone enjoying themselves playing their favorite tune. Even Yamaha’s Black Belt player Peter Baartman (Mas Que Nada) failed to impress me when he played the Tyros. But...Don Mason does a darn good job on his Ketron with that great guitar simulation....and he uses his "fill" button too...that's unheard of among arranger players. I also liked Joe Ayala doing Sway. "One, two Cha-Cha-Cha!"

“Or just wait for a couple weeks after DNJ buys one and get it cheap from him!”

Lucky: Yeah, I made up my own mail-order catalog with a Ketron Audya on every page and I send one anonymously to Donny every other day hoping the subliminal message gets through and he buys one, tires of it quickly, and I then buy it from him 24 hours later at one of his great bargain-basement prices!

“Squeak, I agree. A few thousand is too much to gamble, but $1000 or so, imo, is in the range to check out and dump”

“I'm kind of completely against Zuki's premise that you HAVE to gamble”

Lucky: I’ll go with this too. The free spending’ big money days are pretty much over (unless you’re a Kennedy). I’m OK financially, but $1,000 chunks out of my pocketbook are not on my agenda these days!

“For a "toy" fix, get your butt to Lexington. Here in the warehouse are 100 plus guitars, 25 or so basses, vibes, Claviniva, GW-8, SH-201, Midjay, WK-8000, NP-30, a Hammond XB, 1949 M, old Micro Korg, MS-60, SD-5, A rare old PAIA string machine/piano, and lots of other of oddities...melodicas, banjos, mandolins, accordians and more.”

Lucky: Time for another commercial break.

Lucky: commercial break over. Russ...why don’t you contact one of the major news networks (CBS, NBC, etc). They love offbeat, interesting stories like this. Then we can all see the “instrument depot.”

Kingfrog...I’m still trying to figure out where you live?

Lucky’s final thoughts: Being a “spiritual” person, I figured it out. The Gods are telling me (for some unknown reason that just might be Ketron-related) to “hold off” and don’t buy anything. I’ve found in life, for myself anyway, that when I don’t know what to do about an something, it’s best to do NOTHING. That’s always worked for me.

Either rate, I’ve come this far. I’m now going to wait and see if Ketron starts delivery on the Audya.

Lucky

#251072 - 12/19/08 09:12 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
MB, South Carolina
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#251073 - 12/19/08 12:00 PM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Yeah..., it's going to be fun going through Russ's collection for sure. Russ is less than 2 1/2 hours from my home too. I'll get pics.

Russ...take pics of Deb too..she is "HOT"...

Now Squeak will never have a cam chat with me again.....but both of Squeak's girls are cute..

#251074 - 12/19/08 02:41 PM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
So...why not go see Frank...he has it on the floor, HE knows the products well...then buy it at a great price too???

Works for me...
Lee

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online