SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#251034 - 12/15/08 09:57 PM How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

I'm curious as to how some of you other members buy your keyboards? I've never been so frustrated trying to locate a high end arranger locally that I can try out.

I wrote this in another thread:

But...I'm starting to understand today's rules of the game:

Rule #1: you have to buy a keyboard sight unseen unless you live near AJ, George Kaye or Frankie (and a few others)...and "sound unheard" unless you're lucky enough to find a salesperson who is a top of the line player and just sells keyboards for altruistic reasons to help others (highly unlikely).

Rule #2: see Rule No. 1 above

Rule #3: see Rule No. 2 above

Back to this thread: I've been talking to another Synthzone member about purchasing his E-60. Good price, personable seller, no reluctance to send my money. But...I can't find one to play around here. And he lives too far away for me to go and try his out.

I've been thinking about this all day. Do many of you buy your keyboard without hearing it based on it's reputation (Tyros, G-70, etc). Or perhaps you travel to where the store is?

I'm about ready to give up and just keep playing my antique Roland! Why change a keyboard when I'm the only one that will notice anyway?

Lucky

#251035 - 12/15/08 10:24 PM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Never... never... never.

I won't buy something unless I have had a sufficient opportunity to try it out at leisure. If that means I miss a chance to get something great, so be it. It also means the store misses an opportunity to sell me something (I only buy from local dealers).

Sometimes, you can get the store to contact the rep for the manufacturer, and see if he can bring one next visit. If not, and the store is unwilling to stock the keyboard on spec, just walk away (vocally!).

Also, don't count on the store having a decent demonstrator... if they don't stock it, how is some poor salesman likely to know how to work it? If you can't figure out the basics yourself (by reading up in advance, talking to owners here, downloading the manual, etc.), then perhaps something as complex as a TOTL arranger might not be the best thing for you...

And if you look to members here for advice, go back a LONG time reading their posts. Some here have a VERY uncritical approach to their purchases, which is fine, but it doesn't help you find the 'gotchas' and not so perfect aspects of operation.

I'm sorry that things have got so messed up, but perhaps a letter to the head office, pointing out your inability to make a purchase due to nothing to try might get a bit of action. These guys make their living on units sold. Rub their noses in your decision to NOT buy until you try, and they MIGHT go the extra mile...

#251036 - 12/16/08 01:54 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Lucky

1. The smaller the manufacture, the fewer dealers you will find, so be prepared to travel.

2. Most manufactures boards have owners clubs or forums, so just contact them and you will usually find some owners locally who will allow you to try there baby out. (It’s also a more relaxed atmosphere, and you will find out things that the salesman doesn’t know, or won’t tell you about)

3. Record some of your own songs as Midi files, and then play them back on the instrument you try, and see if you can modify them to get the sound you like. (If you can get the Midi file sounding decent, then you should easily be able to get the board set up as you want)

4. Most smaller manufactures also produce organs; however most use the same sound and style system as their keyboards, so you will still be able to find out if it will suit.

5. If you have niggling doubts after you have tried it, then by all means try it another time, but if the niggles are still there, be wary, as what start out as small niggles, can end up being a major issue.

6. Don’t expect perfection, because it doesn’t exist.

Hope this helps

Regards

Bill

#251037 - 12/16/08 02:54 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Here in the UK we are a little better of as there is a good selection of dealers who stock top end arrangers. The other option is the Keyboard Festivals in April, May & September where a number of brands are available to play with. Plus there is the UK Music festival.
After stating the above it's surprising to see keyboard players ordering a new model months before a launch without even seeing or hearing the product.

#251038 - 12/16/08 03:50 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Where are you exactly, Lucky?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#251039 - 12/16/08 06:37 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
You could try a place called Audioworks
they have on display

Korg PA2xPro
Korg PA50
Ketron SD5
Ketron Midjay Plus
Yamaha Tyros 3
Yamaha PSR-S900

And I hear the guy there is a pretty nice and might I add handsome guy

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#251040 - 12/16/08 06:41 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
You could try a place called Audioworks
they have on display

Korg PA2xPro
Korg PA50
Ketron SD5
Ketron Midjay Plus
Yamaha Tyros 3
Yamaha PSR-S900

And I hear the guy there is a pretty nice and might I add handsome guy

What no G70 or e60 Sorry Frank I just couldn't resist. All kidding put aside that is one impressive line up of arrangers to demo.

#251041 - 12/16/08 06:44 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Thanks for the shot.

I called Roland atleast a half a dozen times, and they refuse to call me back, so even if they come out with the next version of sliced bread, that doesn't show me that they really care about me and selling arranger keyboards

#251042 - 12/16/08 07:15 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Frank.., the problem is that RolandUS really doesn't give a crap about the arranger line here in the USA. They're more concerned about their sales overseas (as the numbers are much higher there). The pro arranger market (even the semi-pro market) is MUCH smaller here in the USA...

It's getting harder to find a music store today with a keyboard department. Unless you're fortunate enough to have a G. Center, Sam Ash, George Kaye, or Frankie near by it's going to be hard to locate them.

Even locally owned music stores opening their doors today are opening WITHOUT keyboard departments. What I've found over the years is that MANY privately owned music stores are owned by guitar/bass players, and even drummers, and if they do sell keyboards they never hire people who play keys. They're more interested in selling guitars and drums.

You go into these stores today.., and ask for a particular keyboard 99.99% of the time you'll hear "we don't have that in stock, but I can order you one". If you ask why they don't sell keyboards you'll always hear.., we can't find anyone qualified to operate them.., or demo them..., and the cost of running the keyboard department is expensive (which it is too).

Sadly many people today have no choice but to buy their keys "sight unseen". I also think that's part of the reason why you have your dedicated brand X owners. Since the boards are to find in local stores..., people will often stick to the one brand they've been using and because you cannot find stores that sell them, and sell multiple brands, one often sticks to what they know rather than take a chance on something they've never used or seen.

Some of you guys are lucky because you live within a reasonable driving distance to see a keyboard. Personally there's no way in hell I'd take a 6 hour round trip just to test drive a keyboard. Clealy those who find a trip like that worth the effort have much more time on their hands than I do.., and most likely have kids that are much much older than my child.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 12-16-2008).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#251043 - 12/16/08 07:39 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER buy a keyboard sight unseen! I've been waiting for the local GC to get a T3 now for a couple months. If it doesn't show up soon I'm going to drive to Washington Music in Rockville, Maryland. It's a 90-mile drive that in this part of the world with continual grid-lock traffic, could take three hours each way. I could just order one from Frankie, but until I get my gnarled fingers on the keys it ain't gonna' happen.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online