SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#250129 - 12/03/08 06:35 AM is this T2 or T3 but piano is nice
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xMuKipluAw8&feature=related

This is an amateur player but with a nice touch.

#250130 - 12/03/08 06:58 AM Re: is this T2 or T3 but piano is nice
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
That's the original Tyros. You can tell by the cup holder to the right It's not the T2 because the edges aren't cut on the corners. Obvious lack of sliders show it's not the T3.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 12-03-2008).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#250131 - 12/03/08 03:49 PM Re: is this T2 or T3 but piano is nice
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
The original Tyros has the same exact Live! Grand Piano sample that the T2 does. OTOH, the Tyros3 has a newly sampled Live! Concert Grand voice which apparently, from what I've heard anyway, is a step backward "not forward" as far as improving the ac.piano sound goes on the Tyros series. Another comment made from one of our members who owns a T3 is the all new Drums on the T3 are apparently even more atrocious (plastic sounding) than the T2's drums are, if that's possible.. Strike TWO! One more strike and the Tyros"4" will likely strike 'out' in the hearts and minds of many past and current loyal Yamaha brand owners. >> If Yamaha continues to forego on listening to the wants and wishes of arranger keyboardists (and Yamaha arranger keyboard owners in particular) you can look forward to more and more arranger keyboardists jumping ship from Yamaha and swimming to warmer, friendlier waters i.e. = those manufacturers who truly have the consumers best interest at heart and not just their own bottom line. Those manufacturers are the ones who indeed WILL and DO listen to their customers and provide keyboard products that consumers and customers alike ask and even yearn for. Like Korg for one. That said, Yamaha DOES have a relatively good support staff and seem to also be quick at repairing any hardware issues on the keyboards themselves.

But as far as Yamaha listening to their customer's (or potential customer's) wishes and wants, in what they, as the consumer, would like to have {and need} in high-end arranger keyboard product(s) - you're better off talking to a rock. >> At least the rock won't come back and retort that its keyboards are made only for the sole purpose of serving a particular niche market that, first and foremost, maximizes and serves their "own" particular financial interests as a company and has their "own" company bottom line at heart - and nothing else. Sad... but that's how I see it. In other words, the rock won't keep spewing out reasons why it does what it does and why it has no 'apparent' intention of changing - customers and consumers in general be damned...

Not a lovely thought eh? That's apparently the way Yamaha likes it though. Else, they would start changing their business practices and start providing keyboards with the "consumers" best interest at heart, and NOT only and always just their own bottom line.

Merry Christmas!
Mike

#250132 - 12/03/08 04:00 PM Re: is this T2 or T3 but piano is nice
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Yep, that's a Tyros1.

Good player and the piano sound is still really nice for a 6 year old arranger.

The Live Grand is still my "go to" piano, even on the T3, although I do like the Warm Grand for jazz ballads.

Thanks for sharing.

Ian

#250133 - 12/03/08 04:17 PM Re: is this T2 or T3 but piano is nice
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
To me it was a terrible Piano. Lots of ringing and distortion. Maybe he held the sustain down the whole time? Or maybe poor recording equipment?
But I think the player did good other than the sound problem. No, it's not my PC speakers, I just listened to Martin Harris play T3 Piano and it was OK.

Mike,
As long as they sell a lot of them, why would they change??

If people quit buying them...then things will change.

Lee

[This message has been edited by leeboy (edited 12-03-2008).]

#250134 - 12/03/08 04:26 PM Re: is this T2 or T3 but piano is nice
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
i cant believe that yamaha have used an inferior piano on the T3. There must be a problem with the way the default EQ and effects have ben applied to the factory sound if there are complaints about the T3 piano. Has anyone ound away to make the piano sound as good as the T1 in this clip ? If so then perhaps they a could share the settings on it with those users that are not happy with the T3 piano sound.

#250135 - 12/03/08 04:30 PM Re: is this T2 or T3 but piano is nice
squeak_D Offline

Honestly I've always wondered why Yamaha didn't put more into their piano samples on both their upper end arrangers and pro workstations. This is a company that makes very nice sounding acoustic pianos... They clearly have a great sounding acoustic grand.., it's surprising to always read comments about the pianos lacking on their keyboards. Maybe it's me, but Yammie at times seems to be a bit stingy in that they want you to buy their Clavs or CVP's if you want a good acoustic piano sound.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#250136 - 12/03/08 05:13 PM Re: is this T2 or T3 but piano is nice
newman Offline

spalding,

"There must be a problem with the way the default EQ and effects have been applied to the factory sound if there are complaints about the T3 piano."

I've tried all sorts of things and come to the conclusion that the "Concert Grand" seems a “rushed to completion” sample or is just a poorly (or deliberately so) finished.
The lower range is very nice and the upper range is also nice but the middle to upper middle (the most important bit) is just woeful. I mean woeful, I can hear interpolation between the notes (where the sample has been averaged between the actual truly sampled notes), this is just cheap and it sounds it. BTW I don't notice any interpolation with the "Live Grand", used on T1, T2, and there also on the T3, it's very even between the notes.

Unless there are 2 versions of the T3 out there, I just don't get how it can be said on the DVD that the new "Concert Grand" is “so much better than the original Live Grand that was featured on Tyros 2”. To me it’s a very backward step indeed.

#250137 - 12/04/08 08:53 AM Re: is this T2 or T3 but piano is nice
jwyvern Offline

The youtube poor quality is due to the recording setup IMO and to judge the piano you have to interplate between the distortions etc.

One quick way to make a piano sound a bit richer is transpose down a few notches as long as it's not in the muddy range. My Ty2 occasionally kidded me the Live Grand had improved and it felt good playing - but then realised I had by mistake left a lower TP on it.
I notice in the video the notes are transposed down 4 semitones from default so the player must prefer the sound he hears using that rather than keeping the note frequencies to the key he is physically playing in. It might be helping in our perception of how "nice" the piano sounds too.

John

#250138 - 12/04/08 09:10 AM Re: is this T2 or T3 but piano is nice
squeak_D Offline

Often minute adjustments to the filter section will also clean up a piano sound. It can mellow out a piano that's too bright, or brighten up a piano that's too mellow. Even EQ'ing will clean it up.

I've owned numerous keyboards that had an acoustic piano I wasn't too fond of, but every keyboard I've owned (that at least had basic synth parameters) I was able to tweek one to my liking. It's not hard.., you just have to be willing to make the adjustments.

IMO..., if you're complaining about the "out of box" piano sound and haven't even bothered to tweek it.., well then it's your loss. All these arrangers have decent pianos today. These keyboard companies have to cater to a wide range of musical tastes and likes. If that makers piano isn't to your liking.., then edit the thing.

Too often people complain about this sound that sound on their arrangers not sounding stellar out of the box.., yet so often the synth parameters on these arrangers are overlooked. 95% of the time the fix to that perfect sound is right under your fingers. It will however require you to explore your keyboard a little deeper.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online