SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#247332 - 11/04/08 10:43 AM Question: Using a Tyros and a Motif XS together
normark Offline

Loc: Denmark
I have been using a Tyros1 for several years, and I have considered to upgrade to a Tyros3. Instead of buying a Tyros3 I have (more or less) decided to go for a Motif XS8 instead. In Denmark the price of a T3 and XS8 is exactly the same. I hope the combination of these two instruments will be more interesting and challenging for me than "just" the Tyros3. I intend - for instance - to use use the styles in the Tyros1 together with the voices (and arps etc) of the Motif.

I would like to get some advise on how to control and synchronize the Tyros from the Motif (and/or perhaps the other way around). A possible scenario might be:

1. Record a song on the Tyros using a style.
2. Following that, record some tracks on the Motif.
3. Finally start song playing *simultaneously* on both instrument.

Can I easily start recording on the Motif while *at the same time* automatically start song playing at the Tyros?

I am well aware of the Midi settings of in Tyros, including the possibility of using an external clock etc. But I am not really sure if one of them can remotely control (start playing, start recording on) the other. I am also aware that the Tyros has the resolution of 1920 PPQN while the Motif runs at 480 PPQN. Will that turn out to be a problem?

Will the natural solution be to control both instruments from a PC sequencer, such as Cubase or Sonar?

------------------

#247333 - 11/04/08 11:04 AM Re: Question: Using a Tyros and a Motif XS together
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by normark:
I have been using a Tyros1 for several years, and I have considered to upgrade to a Tyros3. Instead of buying a Tyros3 I have (more or less) decided to go for a Motif XS8 instead. In Denmark the price of a T3 and XS8 is exactly the same. I hope the combination of these two instruments will be more interesting and challenging for me than "just" the Tyros3. I intend - for instance - to use use the styles in the Tyros1 together with the voices (and arps etc) of the Motif.

I would like to get some advise on how to control and synchronize the Tyros from the Motif (and/or perhaps the other way around). A possible scenario might be:

1. Record a song on the Tyros using a style.
2. Following that, record some tracks on the Motif.
3. Finally start song playing *simultaneously* on both instrument.

Can I easily start recording on the Motif while *at the same time* automatically start song playing at the Tyros?

I am well aware of the Midi settings of in Tyros, including the possibility of using an external clock etc. But I am not really sure if one of them can remotely control (start playing, start recording on) the other. I am also aware that the Tyros has the resolution of 1920 PPQN while the Motif runs at 480 PPQN. Will that turn out to be a problem?

Will the natural solution be to control both instruments from a PC sequencer, such as Cubase or Sonar?

I think thats a great Idea. I was and still am thinking of doing the same, (albeit the XS Module) HOWEVER, You had better have an excellent understanding of MIDI and sync. Which syncs to which when.

The TYROS is not a s MIDI friendly as the Motif is terms of a work station. It's MIDI implementation is Horrible if you are used to workstations. You have to think in a different way. I have spent a lot of time learning the best way to use it with with Sonar. I'm still experimenting. The Muli-Pads are giving me fits right now.

But the easy way would be to create the sequence on the Tyros save it as a MIDI file and open it in Cakewalk. But I don't do things easily. I want it to work like I work.

Plus I have an RD-700 in the MIDI mix as well.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#247334 - 11/04/08 12:32 PM Re: Question: Using a Tyros and a Motif XS together
chony Offline

Loc: New York
I don't believe it can be done. Yamaha's MIDI options are not good. You cannot for example call up a specific patch number (voice) on your Motif from the Tyros, because the Tyros will not allow you to assign a MIDI number to a voice.

That automatically ruins most of your plans...

Been wanting to do this since the Tyros 1...

#247335 - 11/04/08 01:36 PM Re: Question: Using a Tyros and a Motif XS together
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
I don't believe it can be done. Yamaha's MIDI options are not good. You cannot for example call up a specific patch number (voice) on your Motif from the Tyros, because the Tyros will not allow you to assign a MIDI number to a voice.

That automatically ruins most of your plans...

Been wanting to do this since the Tyros 1...

Im not sure if I understand that. My Tyros sends and recieves PC changes to Sonar via MIDI and vice versa on separate channels. I can use the Tyros as a Master Keyboard sending PC and controller information VIA MIDI and the Internal clock, then set the clock on the receiving sequencer to receive. Then transmit back. The Motif should recognize any MIDI input and MIDI commands. I think it would be more difficult to use the Motif as the Master keyboard as the Tyros has specific style patches on specific Channels.

Any sequencer whether computer or another workstation should work the same way.

You can send MIDI using MIDI A and receive on MIDI B as well.
Plus you can design you own MIDI implementation template,

I have been able to send and receive ALL style and Part information back and forth to a sequencer with the exception of Multi Pads. All EFX and Art voices intact.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#247336 - 11/04/08 02:15 PM Re: Question: Using a Tyros and a Motif XS together
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
The big buggaboo is with the Tyros you can not setup a specific registration (or individual user sound) to send a specific MIDI bank and program change messages. It does send MIDI PC out but you can not select what it sends out. Unless I missed someting and Yamaha support was smoking someting the day I called?? Oh by the way they said I did not need that capability when I asked for it to be included in next OS!!!

So, you have to do some crazy mapping on your own to get the right sounds to happen. With a SW like Sonar that's not to bad...but if you say need Bank 2, PC46 to select a specific voice on the Motif or other HW sound module...NOT going to happen. The Tyros will not let you setup what you need.

Also, most if not all of the Tyros controllers do not send MIDI data out. IMHO The Tyros is not designed to be a MIDI controller and hence makes a poor one, like most other arrangers I suppose....

Of course there is ways to get by sometimes, just depends on your expectations. I know some do use it to control other MIDI sounds.

The MIDI in to control functions from a MIDI controller (like a MIDI pedal board, MFC10 etc) does work quite well. I used a Roland PK5 pedal board to both play bass and control the style play (into, Var, ending)etc.

Heres a good example....I have a Kurzweil PC3 (had a K2600X) that's a PRO synth with superb MIDI options...in fact I can't remember if I ever had someting MIDI I needed that wasn't there.

I'm sure the Motif has lots of MIDI capability too, beacause it is a PRO instrument and it has to have.

With the Korg PA, I can setup any user voice to send extermal MIDI and set any value for Bank and PC I want...by voice, Cool. (song and sequesncer mode also supports this)Other MIDI control features however are still missing.

The perfect arranger would also be a super MIDI controller, so we could add on sound modules or control other boards...maybe someday?

If you ask Yamaha (I did) they said a home keyboard does not need all that!

Lee

#247337 - 11/06/08 11:26 PM Re: Question: Using a Tyros and a Motif XS together
Kingfrog Offline

There is a file in Sonar called the Instrument Definition File that sends bank and patch changes to any instrument "defined"

The Tyros 3 does receive PC information using this file inserted into Sonar. Therefore you can change a voice of any style from Sonar.

I'm thinking the way I will use it is record the MIDI Style data then send it out to the T3, Software Synths, and another module yet to be determined. Probably a Korg M3M for different sounds and sync it all to the PC.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 11-06-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#247338 - 11/07/08 06:07 PM Re: Question: Using a Tyros and a Motif XS together
leeboy Offline

Kingfrog,
Yep, that works for receive...but what about when you want to, lets say select a STS or a registation and you want the Tyros to select sounds on a MIDI sound module, Sonar or any softsynth?

That's not so good, because you can not set your own MIDI bank and PGM change into any user voice in T2/T3. They did not design the Tyros to control anything MIDI even though the note MIDI messages are fine.
Lee

#247339 - 11/07/08 09:50 PM Re: Question: Using a Tyros and a Motif XS together
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Kingfrog,
Yep, that works for receive...but what about when you want to, lets say select a STS or a registation and you want the Tyros to select sounds on a MIDI sound module, Sonar or any softsynth?

That's not so good, because you can not set your own MIDI bank and PGM change into any user voice in T2/T3. They did not design the Tyros to control anything MIDI even though the note MIDI messages are fine.
Lee

Hmmm there is a Master Keyboard mode in the MIDI panel. I do use it to play SW synths in Sonar...But all patch changes are done within Sonar. indeed. No need to send them from the board.

I don;t use the Tyros as a Master Keyboard, except to send Style MIDI to Sonar and play SW Synths. From there I can send it anywhere even back to the Tyros using a differnt patch. Tyros receives patch changes fine. I have not found a use for registrations and record Styles only to Sonar. I use Dimension Pro in the place some voices using the MIDI only a style as well. Also works well with Drum track samples suing Tyros MIDI drums within style.

I bought the Tyros primarily for the styles
and many of the voices.

Its not exactly a workstation in that regard. The Korg PA2x was better, But the style library was lacking for me and I'm not one to create styles. If I was going to do that I would have purchased a Motif X8. or M3. I did all the parts for years. Styles are far better and faster to assemble.

I don't think the OP can use it with an XS without the middleman being the PC or external sequencer to redirect MIDI to another Module or SW synth. I would not want to try to use it with another synth without the PC as the middleman.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 11-07-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#247340 - 11/08/08 03:54 PM Re: Question: Using a Tyros and a Motif XS together
leeboy Offline

Kingfrog...exactly true in all respects...even though I have plenty of styles and more are comming.

If one wanted to put a PC between the Tyros and external sound source, then it can be worked out using some MIDI SW tools.

But, like you said...that's not the intent of the arrangers in general. Too bad it isn't better.

Lee

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online