SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#244209 - 10/06/08 07:10 PM Tyros 3 First Impressions
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
My first shipment finally arrived today (I used to get them first being so close to Yamaha in Buena Park, California but now they ship keyboards from Chicago).

First thing is that the keyboard is very attractive and I really like that the power chord is now a regular 3 prong standard cord which can be purchased anywhere. The Tyros 2 had a chord which had special shapes and harder to replace. I also liked that the bottom of the keyboard is black and the top is silver with as stated before a much more rounded appearance than previous models.

I hooked it up to a Yamaha Stagepas 500 sound system and tried the new piano... It's out of this world. There is so much more realism at both the low end and the high end. I also really like the key feel. If you look under the keys you will notice silver colored weights under each white key.

I looked over the buttons to see where everything is and I immediately felt comfortable with this new model. I tried all the new superarticulation 2 sounds first and as I was talking over the phone with my friend from Cleveland Ohio Jim Palmisano, I kept going "wow". I used the articulation buttons which light green when they've been assigned to a voice to do something and then turn solid yellow if they just supply a simple sound adjustment and flash yellow if intended for you to continue holding the button for a different latched type effect. When no articulation is used, the buttons stay unlit. As expected, the new sounds were beautiful. Full of expression and realism. Clarinet, Trumpet, Irish flutes, sax's, all were the most realistic I've heard to date.

Playing the styles was a real treat. Every style that was familiar from previous models, added little nuances which made them sound new and fresh. Articulated sounds were added where they weren't present in the Tyros2. I also noticed alot more dynamics within older styles. I kept going to a PSRS900 and the Tyros 3 and compared same styles but could hear the dynamics changing in the Tyros3 which didn't occur in the 900.

I've had a bad cold and wanted to go home to watch the LA Angels play the Boston RedSox and so here I am now.........I'll play alot more tomorrow!

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#244210 - 10/06/08 08:40 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
sunny152 Offline

Loc: ap
Hello George,
Thanks for the Tyro-3 review.I would like to know how the strings, choir, organ drawbars section sound?Any major improvement when compared to Tyros-2?

Thanks,
Sunny

#244211 - 10/06/08 09:18 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:

I've had a bad cold and wanted to go home to watch the LA Angels play the Boston RedSox and so here I am now.........I'll play alot more tomorrow!

I feel for you George ...
Watching your team lose is bad enough ... watching with a cold is twice as bad ...
As a NY Yankees fan, I was rooting for your Angels ... now, GO RAYS !!!

t.

#244212 - 10/07/08 02:51 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
!!! GO RED SOX !!!

#244213 - 10/07/08 04:10 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
zuki Offline

Move to Cincinnati. You have the Reds and Bengals. That gives me a whole lot more time to concentrate on music, rather than watching sports

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#244214 - 10/07/08 04:18 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Thank you, George, for your early review.

I'm expecting my Tyros3 this week, and I have a feeling I'm going to love it.

Tyros3 looks to be the most advanced and best sounding arranger available.

Ian

#244215 - 10/07/08 05:16 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Quote:
[b]

I feel for you George ...
Watching your team lose is bad enough ... watching with a cold is twice as bad ...
As a NY Yankees fan, I was rooting for your Angels ... now, GO RAYS !!!

t.

[/B]

George thanks for your review, Tyros 3 certainly sounds like a winner. Hmmm, little weights under the keys, got to be a good thing.

Tony like you (NY fan) and George I was rooting for the Angels, now I've become a Tampa Bay Fan. I should be anyway, Rocco Baldelli went to the same high school I attended.

#244216 - 10/07/08 05:28 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
Dnj Offline

GO EAGLES!

#244217 - 10/07/08 05:46 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
ianmcnll Offline

GO YAMAHA!

#244218 - 10/07/08 07:02 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks George for an excellent review. I hope to get my hands on one to try out in the next few weeks, then I'll make the final decision. I guess I'm one of those folks that just doesn't jump over the fence and buy before trying. The only concern I have at this point is the additional weight I'll be lugging from job to job. I placed three bricks on my keyboard case which also held my PSR-3000. I figured that would be equal to the T3, plus the new case needed to carry it. To this old man it felt as if there was another keyboard in the case with the 3000. I could not imagine lugging around a G-70 weight keyboard ever again.

Thanks again for your review,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#244219 - 10/07/08 07:37 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Thanks George for an excellent review. I hope to get my hands on one to try out in the next few weeks, then I'll make the final decision. I guess I'm one of those folks that just doesn't jump over the fence and buy before trying. The only concern I have at this point is the additional weight I'll be lugging from job to job. I placed three bricks on my keyboard case which also held my PSR-3000. I figured that would be equal to the T3, plus the new case needed to carry it. To this old man it felt as if there was another keyboard in the case with the 3000. I could not imagine lugging around a G-70 weight keyboard ever again.

Thanks again for your review,

Gary

http://www.rocknrollercart.com/

#244220 - 10/07/08 07:50 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
George Kaye Offline

Los Angeles Dodgers vs Boston Red Sox! Wow......what a World Series that would be!

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#244221 - 10/07/08 07:52 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Los Angeles Dodgers vs Boston Red Sox! Wow......what a World Series that would be!

Go Joe Torre and LA!! So it wasn't the coach after all.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 10-07-2008).]

#244222 - 10/07/08 08:33 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
Sorry guys, But it looks like another year for the sox. Yankee Fans, Maybe in 5-10 years your team will be back. Jeter may even be in a nursing home when they're passing out the rings.

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.myspace.com/kidconcert
www.balloonanimal.com
www.1000colorcards.com

#244223 - 10/07/08 08:45 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mikey_maestro:
Sorry guys, But it looks like another year for the sox. Yankee Fans, Maybe in 5-10 years your team will be back. Jeter may even be in a nursing home when they're passing out the rings.

Wait till Manny hustles out to the outfield at Fenway

#244224 - 10/07/08 08:46 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mikey_maestro:

WHOA Mikey ... I am absolutely sure Yankees fans won't have to wait 86 YEARS before their next championship ...
Enjoy the present because in an instant it is the past ..... ...
t.

#244225 - 10/07/08 08:51 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:

[QUOTE] from DNJ
Wait till Manny hustles out to the outfield at Fenway

I won't even know about it because it is now FOOTBALL SEASON GO GIANTS!!!

QUOTE FROM Dnj
GO EAGLES!

Donny ... howcan you expect them to fly like Eagles when they are surrounded by turkeys

t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 10-07-2008).]

#244226 - 10/07/08 08:57 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
I guess I'm one of those folks that just doesn't jump over the fence and buy before trying.

I'm the same way, Gary.

It's very tempting just on the demos we hear on-line, but the proof will be in the playing.

I found the Tyros2 a bit on the heavy side, but manageable...depends on the road case you use.

Good luck.

Ian

#244227 - 10/07/08 09:00 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
The Tyros3 has the exact same keybed as the Tyros2 i.e. the FSX keybed.

As far as there being weights; there are also weights below the T2 keys although they may be located at a different spot than the weights on the Tyros3. Someone else noted that the T3 keybed felt 'better' than the T2's keybed. The placement area of the weights on the T3 (if they are indeed located at a different spot than the T2's weights) could be the reason why the keybed on the T3 feels "better" i.e. - feels like it has a better action.

That's the only reason I can think of anyway, since both the T2 and T3 have the exact same FSX keybed.

Best,
Mike

#244228 - 10/07/08 09:05 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
leezone Offline

George,

how would you compare the SA Sax from Tyros 3 to the one in Ketron SD5,or XD in particular the blow sax, which i think is fabulous...

#244229 - 10/07/08 01:47 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
mr9000 Offline

Why does everyone suddenly die out in their reviews of their recent blessed T3 purchases?
should be a on going exciting daily handouts to those of us who can only sit by and dream with great green faced envy of what you just aquired!
My posts would be daily if not more if i were to be one of the chossen T3 owners..There's hundreds of little bits of info that would excite me.
My point at this time is:
I don't give a dam about baseball!

[This message has been edited by mr9000 (edited 10-07-2008).]

#244230 - 10/07/08 01:50 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
Dnj Offline

mr9000 its only a keyboard....& The T2 took the T3's thunder just a short while ago....
honestly most have heard it all before.

#244231 - 10/07/08 02:02 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
mr9000 Offline

It's all i have Dnj..all these months without anything new going on but "my KB is superior than thoust" for hundreds of posts,than something new comes on the scene and suddenly 'baseball'..wtf?
I go cry with moaning into my pillow over such matters.

#244232 - 10/07/08 02:19 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
Dnj Offline

mr9000.....
well, wipe your eyes, pull up your boot straps and get a hold of yourself. We're all here for you & with even with a diversion thrown in once on awhile ....ask away & I'm sure we find somthing to talk about concerning your beloved arranger ok? BTW what type of music do you play? If its any solice to you I used to own & perform with Two PSR900's also.

#244233 - 10/07/08 02:43 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
George Kaye Offline

So I came into my store today and played and played.
First, to answer the question about the camparison from the Ketron SD5 "blow tenor" sax and the Tyros3 "Breathy Sax" Super Articulation 2, I've gone to both and compared. The Ketron SD5 sounds very good but no mater how hard or soft I hit the keys, there is no interaction taking place. What I mean is that the sound gets louder or softer, but the amount of air or anything else associated with the playing of the sax doesn't change. There is delayed vibrato that is always in the sound. I can't control it. On the Tyros 3 the sax sound has the air like the Ketron, but there is so much more happening depending on how hard I hit the key, if I add aftertouch, and if I play legato vs sticcato and if when playing legato if I play exactly one octave I hear the effect of a sax glissando, etc. To my ears, I would never get tired of playing the Yamaha sound where the Ketron sound would just be the same exact sound forever. I hope I explained this OK.
I played the Organs and used the 9 sliders for controlling the draw bars. My only complaint is that the effect variation button to control the speed of the leslie is all the way up on right side of the keyboard and I would rather have it be able to be assigned to one of the two super articulation keys. I've already called Yamaha and spoke with Steve Deming and he told me to right it down because maybe a software version could possibly add this or if not, be added to the assignable slider as an option.
Next, I recorded using the Hard Disk Record function. It was very easy, like the Tyros2 and I also overdubed over my initial recording. It worked great, and very clean without having to adjust anything.
I also tried to record a song and the record funtion works like all the other Yamaha's. You hit record, all tracks are armed with a predetermined part so that you can just record anything available to you on the keyboard, parts, style tracks, pads, etc. and you get each track up to 16 recorded. Then, if you want to record on an unused track you just specify what part you want to use. So, say you are going to add an R1 part to be a flute on track 5 which is preset to be Multi Pad 1, you just change that track to say R1 and away you go!
I noticed how good some of the new effects are. For Example, on one of the Big Band Styles, they use Super Articulation 2 Jazz Trumpet and I was hearing the best muted trumpet I've heard........and realized they weren't using a muted trumpet but rather a new effect type which is actually a tube sounding distortion, tweaked to sound just like a muted trumpet! Fantastic!
I've transfered hundreds of midi files and styles from my USB flash drive into the hard drive and everything plays great.
That's all for now.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#244234 - 10/07/08 04:20 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Were those SMF's already optimized for T2 before you had the T3 play them, or were they just plain vanilla GM/GS?

And how easy is it to re-voice and edit the headers and drumkit assignments to tweak a non-Yamaha SMF to it's best?

#244235 - 10/07/08 05:27 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
rb293 Offline

Loc: Binghamton, NY USA
Thanks for all the info George. One thing of importance to me is the piano sound. It is suppose to be improved. What's your take on it??? thanks Ron

#244236 - 10/07/08 07:46 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
George Kaye Offline

The piano is the best piano I've heard in any Yamaha. It has more variation and realism from soft to loud. The bottom end has huge boldness, the middle is beautiful and the top end can be played with a softness or boldness.

As to the other question regarding revoicing standard midi files. I think I need some help here. I called Steve Deming today and asked him about the software I heard of on some of the websites which allowed the owner of a Tyros3 to optimize song files. I looked for this on the CD which came with the Tyros3 (or I should say I read the material that came with the CD and didn't see anything except for sound editing on a computer) and Steve didn't know what I was talking about. So, please explain to me what you have seen or read so I can understand this.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#244237 - 10/07/08 08:03 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
mr9000 Offline

George thanks so much for all you say about
the great T3.

May i ask how the 'style Creation' function
compares to the previous?

#244238 - 10/07/08 10:22 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
Mark7127 Offline

Can anyone post some "demo" links of the T3? Not just single "sounds"....but of someone really putting it through the paces! Playing whole songs!

#244239 - 10/07/08 11:29 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Steve, you've used both the T2 and T3.

Is the T3 a worthwhile upgrade for the money?

#244240 - 10/08/08 11:23 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA

Quote:
"The piano is the best piano I've heard in any Yamaha. It has more variation and realism from soft to loud. The bottom end has huge boldness, the middle is beautiful and the top end can be played with a softness or boldness."

All that greatness and only 61 keys to play it on. How sad... And to someone who plays a lot of Piano - how frustrating it must be.

I know, I know... there's always the Octave button, right? You would have to be a magician to work it seamlessly during a Live performance though. And with the possibility of a slip up while using the Octave buttons during a Live performance, the cost would simply be too high, in my opinion, to dare even attempt it.

Best,
Mike

PS: Only three years to go before Yammies next totl arranger - which will hopefully have a sufficient amount of keys to make playing that beautiful sounding Piano voice worthwhile.

#244241 - 10/08/08 11:33 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
Christian_1 Offline

Yes, I agree and some more style demos!
I am interested in some of the ballad styles.

#244242 - 10/08/08 11:51 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
The piano is the best piano I've heard in any Yamaha. It has more variation and realism from soft to loud. The bottom end has huge boldness, the middle is beautiful and the top end can be played with a softness or boldness.

George,

You're so right about the piano sound...it is very very good...and the response to the FSX keyboard is perfect.

I love the "Cocktail" and "Ambient" Pianos too, and I may be mistaken, but the Live!Grand seems to be even better...I actually prefer it over the Live!Concert Grand for my type of music, in fact, rolling off -15 of the brightness on the filter makes it a perfect piano for soft jazz ballads.

Although I've never heard the Ketron Sax, I can vouch for the SA2 Breathy Sax as being the finest I've played.

The SA buttons are easier than I thought they would be.

The sliders are well made...smooth and accurate...no wobbles and they are perfectly placed.

Organs are a big improvement...much beefier...and the rotary effect is much better.

This is an incredible instrument, and a serious upgrade from the Tyros2.

Ian the Unbiased

PS...I'm going to have a ball demoing this thing.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 10-08-2008).]

#244243 - 10/08/08 03:16 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
zuki Offline

Ian,

How are the drums? Take the very 1st 8 beat style - does it sound the same as before?

That said, I'd still like to try one out too

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#244244 - 10/08/08 04:34 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
Diki Offline

George... You can't easily re-voice a style or SMF within the T3? You HAVE to use external software (probably PC only - so much for us Mac guys )

If I were to use one of these, I'd certainly be bitching to Yamaha to make this basically ESSENTIAL task easier than this, for sure!

What was the last time you played an SMF that DIDN'T need extensive work to sound it's best? There isn't exactly a plethora of titles already tweaked for Tyros (1 or 2, yet alone 3!)...

How can they get some stuff SO right, and others SO wrong?

#244245 - 10/08/08 04:40 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:

PS: Only three years to go before Yammies next totl arranger - which will hopefully have a sufficient amount of keys to make playing that beautiful sounding Piano voice worthwhile.

I wouldnt bet on it Mike

#244246 - 10/08/08 04:45 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
George Kaye Offline

Diki,
You can certainly edit all the styles and tracks of a song as much as you like within the T3.
Yamaha has come out with software that allows one to convert all their styles or registration memories or even songs they've recorded on the T1 or T3 to play perfectly on a T3 because from what I understand the software chooses appropriate sounds and effects that will enhance the sound when played on the T3.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#244247 - 10/08/08 05:50 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
Diki Offline

OK, but is it EASY...?

I know you've messed with Roland's Makeup Tools

Something along those lines makes it almost a pleasure to re-voice a style or SMF. Be nice if Yamaha took a leaf out of that book... It's the one chore that everyone HAS to do to any new and older SMF's, converted styles, older styles, etc. (I don't believe a batch program can be as accurate as doing each one yourself - the input sources are so different, usually). Making this as easy as running the ROM styles just encourages everyone to do it, rather than simply 'tolerate' the styles and SMF's not being their best possible.

#244248 - 10/08/08 06:08 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
George Kaye Offline

I compared the "Classic 8 Beat Style" from the PSRS900 (same as Tyros2) and the T3. Although the beat is the same, the snare drum sound is much punchier and more alive in the T3. And, the rest of the drum parts are all much more dynamic with better effects.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#244249 - 10/08/08 06:17 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
Diki Offline

I know it's kind of tedious, George, but is it easy to take a look at the style data in microscope mode, and see whether that snare is simply a result of either a volume command to make it louder, or a greater velocity to the part, or is it REALLY a better, newer drum sample?

If it turns out to be the former two, there's a good chance that everyone with a T2 could get the same effect with just a tweak to the styles they already have...

In fact, this would be the perfect thing for Sørenson to make some software to do (you know Yamaha won't make this one! ). Take the 'tweaks' that have been made to the styles from the T2 that are in the T3, and reverse engineer them so that the T2 could gain that extra 'punch' as well...

If I had a T2, I'm not sure I'd be trading up until I knew for certain that many of the sonic improvements aren't simply some changes to the velocities, EQ's and effects that could be done in the T2 I already have.

#244250 - 10/08/08 06:38 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
"George... You can't easily re-voice a style or SMF within the T3? You HAVE to use external software "

Is Tyros3 different than Tyros2? I've revoiced hundreds of songs live on Tyros2. I always thought it was easy? -charley

#244251 - 10/09/08 07:44 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
JR in TX Offline

Loc: Avinger, TX
Quote:
Yamaha has come out with software that allows one to convert all their styles or registration memories or even songs they've recorded on the T1 or T3 to play perfectly on a T3 because from what I understand the software chooses appropriate sounds and effects that will enhance the sound when played on the T3.

George,
How does one obtain the conversion software?

Jay R

[/B]

#244252 - 10/09/08 07:53 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
George Kaye Offline

Again,the Tyros3 allows you to edit and save exactly like the T1 and T2. What is new is Software that can convert Style Data, Registration Set Ups, Songs you've recorded on the T1 and T2 to play perfectly on the T3. Here is a link to the website where you can download this free software. http://www.yamahapkowner.com/

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#244253 - 10/09/08 07:55 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
jwyvern Offline

Obtain the software on the Yamaha Download site for Ty3:
http://music.yamaha.com/products/d ownlo...021_20023_16277

Towards the bottom of page

"Tyros3 FileConverter ver.1.0.0

This application is for users of the Tyros2, and converts Registration Memory, Song, Style(including OTS), Multi Pad, Custom Voice, and Custom Voice Library created on the Tyros2 for use with the Tyros3."

John

[This message has been edited by jwyvern (edited 10-09-2008).]

#244254 - 10/09/08 08:04 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
Lee7 Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ, USA
**** OOPS the answer to my question appeared while I was typing this overly long message and correcting my bad spelling. I tried to delete it, but can't. Please ignore this post. *******

I'm also curious how to obtain the converion software, George. I know this sounds like I'm being critical of what was said, but that's not my intent. I'm just very puzzled and I think the clearest way to state my question is with 2 quotes.

In a post on 10-07-2008 you said:
As to the other question regarding revoicing standard midi files. I think I need some help here. I called Steve Deming today and asked him about the software I heard of on some of the websites which allowed the owner of a Tyros3 to optimize song files. I looked for this on the CD which came with the Tyros3 (or I should say I read the material that came with the CD and didn't see anything except for sound editing on a computer) and Steve didn't know what I was talking about. So, please explain to me what you have seen or read so I can understand this.

Then on 10-08-2008 you said:
You can certainly edit all the styles and tracks of a song as much as you like within the T3. Yamaha has come out with software that allows one to convert all their styles or registration memories or even songs they've recorded on the T1 or T3 to play perfectly on a T3 because from what I understand the software chooses appropriate sounds and effects that will enhance the sound when played on the T3.

It's obvious that you got the story on the software sometime between the 10/7 post and the 10/8 post, but I can't see it anywhere. Please explain about this software or let us know where we can find out about it.
Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Lee7 (edited 10-09-2008).]

#244255 - 10/09/08 11:52 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
Ketron_AJ Offline

Loc: Middletown, DE
... Another factor (probably over-looked) is the build quality of the T3 versus the others. It wasn't surprising when I looked under my units (4 that were sent in from Germany with 1 being returned) and found out that they were all made in .... JAPAN !!! Are those that are being sold in the US also made in Japan (George, please confirm)?

GREAT!!!!

That might explain why ...
* The screen has equal brightness from left to right, top to bottom (unlike most T2s were it was sometimes uneven) - which could be why the LCD contrast button has been eliminated?
* The keybed feels more sturdy (try wiggling keys from left to right - then do the same on the T2 or T1).
* Internal components - you can now (by switching 2 wires) change the voltage required between 110v (US) and 220v (World).
* USB sockets wired directly to CPU board versus previous extra circuit boards.
* Better ventilation on power circuit boards.
* etc ...

... Then again, all Tyros' were designed in Japan so it could just be modifications in many instances due to what was learned and researched in the field by the previous models (as many manufacturers do). However, beign designed in Japan and built with Japanese components using Japanese Labor is a HUGE difference as opposed to designed in Japan and built in ... e.g. China?

Either way, the build quiality of the T3, the SA1 and SA2 voices plus the extra control capability (Art1 & Art2) offered to control these from the panel (rather than only via the footswich) are great improvements. I however reserve my personal views on the "Arranger aspects" and features - especially drums and bass!!

#244256 - 10/10/08 05:47 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
So far the dozen plus that I have had my hands on, that came through the store have been made in Japan.

Looks like Wednesday I will finally have one for myself to take out on a gig.

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com
Korg, Yamaha, Ketron

[This message has been edited by frankieve (edited 10-10-2008).]

#244257 - 10/10/08 07:03 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
ianmcnll Offline

My sources tell me that all Tyros3 are made in Japan.

Ian

#244258 - 10/10/08 07:18 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Ketron_AJ:
... . I however reserve my personal views on the "Arranger aspects" and features - especially drums and bass!!

AJ.....Fran & I will come to the lab next week ok? ....I'll call you l8tr

donny

#244259 - 10/10/08 11:12 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
My sources tell me that all Tyros3 are made in Japan.

Ian

Were T2's manufactured elsewhere, then?

#244260 - 10/10/08 12:15 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
The Mega Enhancer is working well for file conversion for me. It takes T2 files and converts some of the voices to the new Mega Voices in the T3
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#244261 - 10/10/08 12:26 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Were T2's manufactured elsewhere, then?

All Tyros2's were manufactured in Japan as well...the T1 was in China, I believe.

Ian

#244262 - 10/10/08 07:54 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
pssst...the Phillies are up 2 games...

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Map

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#244263 - 10/10/08 09:05 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by lahawk:

#244264 - 10/16/08 09:38 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
pratzert Offline

Loc: Kingsville, Maryland. USA
George,

I still have my Technics KN7000. Is the T3 worth selling it off and investing in the T3 ?

Do you think the voices & features are comparable or better to the KN7000 ?

Thanks, Tim

#244265 - 10/16/08 01:19 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by lahawk:

The Phillies are done with LA...

#244266 - 10/16/08 04:33 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Tim, The Kn7000 is a unique keyboard, it stands in a class by itself. But the features that made it one-of-a-kind are growing dimmer in light of what the new keyboards are offering.

Tyros 2 is ahead in many ways, I felt that the only shortcoming was the sequencer and some of the sounds. My prediction has been that the Tyros 3 will now bridge that gap.

John C.

#244267 - 10/16/08 07:40 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
George Kaye Offline

Tim,
I would have to agree. It's like having a state of the art computer from 5 years ago to what you can buy today. The superarticulation voices on the T3 are very much more advanced than what you could possibly have in the technics. Plus, the quality of the styles in the latest offering would be considered much more exciting that the older 7000. There are many other improvements included the hard disk recording and newer USB connectors, etc.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#244268 - 10/16/08 07:50 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Tim, John is right. The KN7000 is unique and was well ahead of it's time. Changing keyboards is a very personal thing that only you can decide. Before you jump to a new keyboard, regardless of improvements in technology, try the new keyboard for several days before you make that final decision. I still can't find improvements in ANY keyboard that would make me want to leave the KN7000.

#244269 - 10/16/08 08:06 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by rattley:
"George... You can't easily re-voice a style or SMF within the T3? You HAVE to use external software "

Is Tyros3 different than Tyros2? I've revoiced hundreds of songs live on Tyros2. I always thought it was easy? -charley

I revoiced a few SMFs today however.......I failed to find a way to SAVE them with the new voices. What am I missing?
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#244270 - 10/20/08 01:41 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
mr9000 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Hendershot:
Tim, John is right. The KN7000 is unique and was well ahead of it's time.I still can't find improvements in ANY keyboard that would make me want to leave the KN7000.

Was the KN7000 the keyboard that had that built in hinged cover?What made it ahead of it's time bob?

#244271 - 10/20/08 05:33 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
Bob Hendershot Offline

As I said, the keyboard that is right for you, is a personal thing. Yes the KN7000 has a hinged cover and a keyboard that many didn’t like because you could bang into the end of the keyboard if you were used to more keys because it was “sunken” somewhat. But, no keyboard at that time had the sequencer editing stuff that the KN7000 has. It is easy to make multiple recordings, editing tracks, copying tracks, merging tracks, punching in where you want etc., etc. You can add, delete, move, change duration or timing, or velocity, of notes within the sequence. Possibilities for editing are almost endless. Then after you have the recording the way you want it, you can connect to a PC via USB and transfer the recording to the PC in digital form (.wav format) directly. There is no need for old-fashioned analog recording. The KN7000 also contains removable flash memory (SD Card) for song setups and/or sequences. Voicing is a subjective thing and what one person thinks is great may sound awful to someone else. I have always been pleased with Technics voicing and especially the ability to edit any sound of the keyboard in most any way that I like, creating my own new sounds. To my knowledge, no keyboard has a display that compares to the large display of the KN7000. All of this stuff was available before the Tyros 2 was released.

#244272 - 10/20/08 06:26 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
mr9000 Offline

What year was this 7000 Bob?I'm under the impression the 7000 was pre 2000's and yet it had a USB?

#244273 - 10/20/08 07:25 PM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
Bob Hendershot Offline

The KN7000 was released in 2002.

#244274 - 07/15/10 12:52 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
broadbandace Offline

Quote:
... Another factor (probably over-looked) is the build quality of the T3 versus the others. It wasn't surprising when I looked under my units (4 that were sent in from Germany with 1 being returned) and found out that they were all made in .... JAPAN !!! Are those that are being sold in the US also made in Japan (George, please confirm)?

GREAT!!!!

That might explain why ...
* The screen has equal brightness from left to right, top to bottom (unlike most T2s were it was sometimes uneven) - which could be why the LCD contrast button has been eliminated?
* The keybed feels more sturdy (try wiggling keys from left to right - then do the same on the T2 or T1).
* Internal components - you can now (by switching 2 wires) change the voltage required between 110v (US) and 220v (World).
* USB sockets wired directly to CPU board versus previous extra circuit boards.
* Better ventilation on power circuit boards.
* etc ...

... Then again, all Tyros' were designed in Japan so it could just be modifications in many instances due to what was learned and researched in the field by the previous models (as many manufacturers do). However, beign designed in Japan and built with Japanese components using Japanese Labor is a HUGE difference as opposed to designed in Japan and built in ... e.g. China?

Either way, the build quiality of the T3, the SA1 and SA2 voices plus the extra control capability (Art1 & Art2) offered to control these from the panel (rather than only via the footswich) are great improvements. I however reserve my personal views on the "Arranger aspects" and features - especially drums and bass!!

Hi Ketron_AJ,

This posting from back in October 2008 states that the working voltage can be changed from 110v to 220v by switching 2 wires.

I just bought a T3 on Ebay from a seller in Ohio and had it shipped to a friend in Phoenix AZ who I was scheduled to visit. I brought the keyboard backt o the UK with me on the flight home but have not yet had it powered up in the UK because I have seen conflicting advice on various forums about whether the T3 is 'dual voltage'.

My T3 was made in Japan but states 110v 60Hz on the bottom and when I contacted Yamaha UK about this they said I should NOT plug it into a 220v supply without using a transformer to step down to 110v.

I have had the cover off the T3 and the Power Board says 250v next to the connection from the mains plug.

Can I ask where you got the information about 'moving 2 wires' and which 2 wires are supposed to be moved to switch from 110v to 220v.

Peter Hawkins
York England
tyros@uk12.net

#244275 - 07/15/10 08:36 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
Ketron_AJ Offline

Loc: Middletown, DE
Peter,

I had made a correction on this posting. The switching of 2 wires was in reference to the Ketron SD1/SD1Plus and not the Tyros 3.

In the Tyros 3 (as you did see for yourself), the power board does take 240v. However, depending on which country these get shipped to originally, the company labels the voltage of that unit to correspond to the voltage in that country. It is easier these days for them to use one power supply board on all keyboards within the same series than separate ones. The fuse is what might need to be changed.

(From my point of view now) such labelling also helps prevent trans-atlantic retail trade.

#244276 - 07/16/10 03:58 AM Re: Tyros 3 First Impressions
broadbandace Offline

Quote:
Peter,

I had made a correction on this posting. The switching of 2 wires was in reference to the Ketron SD1/SD1Plus and not the Tyros 3.

In the Tyros 3 (as you did see for yourself), the power board does take 240v. However, depending on which country these get shipped to originally, the company labels the voltage of that unit to correspond to the voltage in that country. It is easier these days for them to use one power supply board on all keyboards within the same series than separate ones. The fuse is what might need to be changed.

(From my point of view now) such labelling also helps prevent trans-atlantic retail trade.

Thanks for the clarification. I have ordered a 100w transformer recommended on another bulletin board by someone who had shipped his Tyros from USA for a gig in Romania. This seemed to be the safest way to proceed.

Peter

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online