SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#243198 - 09/24/08 07:39 AM Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Gang-

1) Physically, this is basically a stomp pedal and its been built accordingly. I hope to use this on the top of my Tyros 2. I'm used to using my Digitech vr, that sits on top of my boxamp. I like being able to drop a harmony that way. Through the presets, I'm sure I can do the same if its on the floor, however...

2) Hookup is virtually the same as it was for my Digitechs...

3) Power supply is quite different...For the Digitech, its required input 120V ~ 60hz, 18w, output 9v~1.3A - for the TCH, its rated at 100-240V 50-60 hz, .25A output 12v --.4A, 4.8W

(Honestly not sure what all that means, but my hunch is it needs less juice than the Digitech does to run.)

4) Doesn't seem to have an on/off switch...which I don't like.

4b) No LED Readout of what chord it perceives you as playing, which is a nice feature on the Digitechs...

5) Levels for lead vocal (input)FX, and harmony are easily adjusted, no "modes" to cycle through like on the Digitechs (DG). It has separate knobs for each. They also feel sturdier than those on the DG.

6) The unit is easy to view under normal room lighting...not so much under dark stage lighting. The lights are fine, but you can't read the different settings on the unit. Over time, most users will memorize what's where, I think..

7) In terms of non harmonic vocal processing, its quickly impressed me. When using the "tone" button, the output combines a very nice mix of EQ, compression and de-essing. If the tone button is not engaged, it sounded pretty typical...

There is a sizzle to the output that I love...

8) Harmony wise...they give you 5 different presets (combos of 1 or 2 voices above, below or mixed...) There is a max of 2 additional voices for your lead vocal...You can create other combos and save them if you wish...the process is quite easy...

9) Harmony generation / playing keyboard. (In normal, not manual mode) Early impressions are NOT good. If I'm playing the most basic of chords...(I mean basic - Root, 3rd, 5th) then it works nicely. Introduce a 7th, or god forbid a 9th and it goes sideways...fast.

Ex. Tennessee Waltz: Entering the chorus, hinging from a G7 ("Well, I rem-") to the C It wobbles unless I play a Gsus, which isn't my preference there. (I like the tension of singing the C against the G7 for the release into the first C chord of the chorus.)It fights me, and unless I change how I sing my lead, its odd. Further, in the chorus, moving from the C to the E7, because I'm singing the 7th tone (a "D") within the E7 chord, it again produces really odd sounding harmonies.

I do of lot of texture in my chording. I'm always adding 2nds, 6ths, maj 7ths, 9ths, etc...and I'm used to my Digitech following me wherever and exactly where I go.

Now that said, switch out of the normal harmony mode and go into manual mode, you basically have a vocoder that WILL follow you precisely.

In manual mode, you seem stuck with 4 voices, which isn't always what I want...

So...

*Sound quality is awesome...
*Usability is good, not great (at least not yet...
*Harmony production in default mode at times is awesome, at times perplexing to say the least...
*Harmony production in Manual mode is good, except being stuck with 4 voices...

...I will work with it for the next few days and see where I am then. Its certainly possible that the issues I detailed above are my fault, but the owner's manual isn't the most detailed thing.

...Its possible I'll return it...

...I don't want this to sound wrong, but I'm not sure this is for advanced players. The Digitech rack units I've used, old as they are, don't blink when I add 2nds, 6th, 9ths...This one does and that could be a deal breaker.

...Real interested in Donny's thoughts and any others from current users...

Cheers,

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 09-24-2008).]

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 09-24-2008).]

#243199 - 09/24/08 08:37 AM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

I agree with everything you said. I really love the sounds it produces in basic chords, and yes, it does seem to have some quirks, but overall, it does an outstanding job.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#243200 - 09/24/08 08:39 AM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Bill,

I agree with everything you said. I really love the sounds it produces in basic chords, and yes, it does seem to have some quirks, but overall, it does an outstanding job.

Gary

So, are you using it instead of the Digitech?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#243201 - 09/24/08 08:45 AM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
travlin'easy Offline

I've only used it on a couple jobs so far, mainly because I'm still in the process of modifying my console to hold the Harmony-M in a permanent position and keep everything plugged in. I hope to have that job done in the next few weeks, then I'll be using it on a routine basis.

One thing I forgot to mention. There is a slight delay when changing from one chord to another, probably somewhere between a quarter and half-second, which can be a bit perplexing, especially when using quick transition chords during a song. I suspect this has something to do with the TC's processor speed, which is not very fast. The VR's processor speed and ability to recognize all chords is much better. And, as you stated, it's nice to see the VR's display of the chord.

Cheers,

Gary

#243202 - 09/24/08 08:59 AM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Yeah, that was one of the problems that is kind of disheartening with the HarmonyM. I did a little research online and found that a big negative from HarmonyM users was that sometimes it doesn't "track" right, such as when introducing chords that the HarmonyM apparently can't interpret and handle correctly and throws the harmony out of whack.

I'm glad I didn't rush out right away and get one. If others are satisfied with it that's great. But if I plunck down $300 for a product I expect it to work "correctly" - not just some of the time or most of the time but ALL of the time. Call me finicky if you want but I call it being practical. NEXT! Other products on the near horizon will hopefully be soon forthcoming. Something that won't cost an arm and a leg would be nice too. Not that the HarmonyM does of course. But it seems the only way to get an acceptable VH sound you need to go with the high-end TC-Helicon or the Eventide products. OTOH, Digitech didn't impress me at all with its latest Vocalist Live Pro. Maybe some of Digitech's other products would be more suitable to me perhaps.

Best,
Mike

#243203 - 09/24/08 10:00 AM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
Dnj Offline

As we speak I am setting up my complete rig in the house and testing the Harmony M for testing...more l8tr on that....
But reading these reviews so far to indicate that for different styles of playing eg: full keyboard mode versus triads, one finger etc, etc, ...would definitly give different experiences for each, now link that to playing level, timing in chord changes, and vocal singing style can ALL effect the way the Vocalizer works......& lets remember all gear has its limits & sometimes work-arounds are required & bottom line if someone is not happy or comfortable with a unit just move on return and try something else. All I can say at this early point is Build quality is excellent & it seems to have enough features for my needs in VH at this point...I will chime in later today after I play it for a while.

#243204 - 09/24/08 11:07 AM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
Dnj Offline

Ok.... Preliminary report from me, after using it 30 minutes is WOW!!!!! I hooked it up Easily...set midi channel transmit & other settings on Tyros...setup the Harmony M features to my liking, low/high voices,tone button, and started playing and singing....it really sounds fantastic.I'm using an external pedal for on/off & there is no glitches at all. The voice tracking is perfect & way above the quality of the Tyros VH (which to me is useless)...I'll use it on stage on tonight's gig for a real live checkout and see what happens through my sound system.
But as of now the TC Harmony M is Definitely a KEEPER in my rig!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-24-2008).]

#243205 - 09/24/08 02:39 PM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
travlin'easy Offline

Donny,

I was pretty sure you would like what you heard.

Gary

#243206 - 09/24/08 04:49 PM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
Bill in Dayton Offline

How can the voice tracking be perfect for Donny and goofy for the rest of us?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#243207 - 09/24/08 06:18 PM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
Dnj Offline

Bill.....it has to be the way your triggering your chords..... full fingered? Complicated chords have to relate to the harmonies while singing also, & maybe there is a conflict there? is the Harmony M set up properly? what are your settings? lets get to the bottom of this. Gary helped me set it up maybe we can dissect the problem.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-24-2008).]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online