Gang-

1) Physically, this is basically a stomp pedal and its been built accordingly. I hope to use this on the top of my Tyros 2. I'm used to using my Digitech vr, that sits on top of my boxamp. I like being able to drop a harmony that way. Through the presets, I'm sure I can do the same if its on the floor, however...

2) Hookup is virtually the same as it was for my Digitechs...

3) Power supply is quite different...For the Digitech, its required input 120V ~ 60hz, 18w, output 9v~1.3A - for the TCH, its rated at 100-240V 50-60 hz, .25A output 12v --.4A, 4.8W

(Honestly not sure what all that means, but my hunch is it needs less juice than the Digitech does to run.)

4) Doesn't seem to have an on/off switch...which I don't like.

4b) No LED Readout of what chord it perceives you as playing, which is a nice feature on the Digitechs...

5) Levels for lead vocal (input)FX, and harmony are easily adjusted, no "modes" to cycle through like on the Digitechs (DG). It has separate knobs for each. They also feel sturdier than those on the DG.

6) The unit is easy to view under normal room lighting...not so much under dark stage lighting. The lights are fine, but you can't read the different settings on the unit. Over time, most users will memorize what's where, I think..

7) In terms of non harmonic vocal processing, its quickly impressed me. When using the "tone" button, the output combines a very nice mix of EQ, compression and de-essing. If the tone button is not engaged, it sounded pretty typical...

There is a sizzle to the output that I love...

8) Harmony wise...they give you 5 different presets (combos of 1 or 2 voices above, below or mixed...) There is a max of 2 additional voices for your lead vocal...You can create other combos and save them if you wish...the process is quite easy...

9) Harmony generation / playing keyboard. (In normal, not manual mode) Early impressions are NOT good. If I'm playing the most basic of chords...(I mean basic - Root, 3rd, 5th) then it works nicely. Introduce a 7th, or god forbid a 9th and it goes sideways...fast.

Ex. Tennessee Waltz: Entering the chorus, hinging from a G7 ("Well, I rem-") to the C It wobbles unless I play a Gsus, which isn't my preference there. (I like the tension of singing the C against the G7 for the release into the first C chord of the chorus.)It fights me, and unless I change how I sing my lead, its odd. Further, in the chorus, moving from the C to the E7, because I'm singing the 7th tone (a "D") within the E7 chord, it again produces really odd sounding harmonies.

I do of lot of texture in my chording. I'm always adding 2nds, 6ths, maj 7ths, 9ths, etc...and I'm used to my Digitech following me wherever and exactly where I go.

Now that said, switch out of the normal harmony mode and go into manual mode, you basically have a vocoder that WILL follow you precisely.

In manual mode, you seem stuck with 4 voices, which isn't always what I want...

So...

*Sound quality is awesome...
*Usability is good, not great (at least not yet...
*Harmony production in default mode at times is awesome, at times perplexing to say the least...
*Harmony production in Manual mode is good, except being stuck with 4 voices...

...I will work with it for the next few days and see where I am then. Its certainly possible that the issues I detailed above are my fault, but the owner's manual isn't the most detailed thing.

...Its possible I'll return it...

...I don't want this to sound wrong, but I'm not sure this is for advanced players. The Digitech rack units I've used, old as they are, don't blink when I add 2nds, 6th, 9ths...This one does and that could be a deal breaker.

...Real interested in Donny's thoughts and any others from current users...

Cheers,

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 09-24-2008).]

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 09-24-2008).]