SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#242979 - 09/19/08 01:35 PM Great deal on media station
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Just thoguht I'd give a heads up that Dom has now got a special promo version of the media station available for the super price of 1000 euros!!! There are apparently only 9 available for this once only offer apparently.

I have ordered one, not as much for the style capability, but more as a sort of Receptor with a keyboard, and at the price its a bargain!!

I have found out that I can run my VST's Slayer 2 (awesome electric guitar VST) and Jamstix 2 (drum vst) on the Linux Wine that is embedded on the MS.

If I understand correctly, it has a very similar midi file import funtion to the G70, in that you can import a midi, assign the part tags and then use that to create a style.

2 sets of independent midi ins and outs, 3 sets of audio outs, its seems like a really good package, and the price is right!!
Here is the link for those who may be interested... http://www.lionstracs.com/store/x76-promo-p-205.html

I really think Dom is at the van of where these style of keyboards are going, and as I cannot see any of the majors allowing VST integration for many years to come, its a winner for me.

As I said a receptor with a keyboard!!

Dennis

#242980 - 09/19/08 02:07 PM Re: Great deal on media station
Dnj Offline

Miden,..... good luck with your new Mediastation......keep us informed on your progress when it arrives.....
many people are interested.

Thanx

#242981 - 09/19/08 11:04 PM Re: Great deal on media station
miden Offline

Sure will, but there are three others who have also "subscribed" so there should be a wealth of information in about 3-4 weeks!!

D

#242982 - 09/19/08 11:20 PM Re: Great deal on media station
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
This might be the genuine market for the media station. Best of luck Miden

#242983 - 09/20/08 11:44 AM Re: Great deal on media station
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
One can only hope that these MS's finally end up in the hands of some players that are not too embarrassed to post some user demos (having got them at bargain basement prices, they might not feel as obliged to 'defend' their purchase by silence)....

Pull them out of the box, hook up a recorder, and show us what one of these CAN do before you spend a fortune in VSTi's, and some months of work. Then after you buy the VSTi's and do the work, show us what you can do with them AFTERWARDS.

Just do us all ONE big favor... DO NOT waste our time trying to persuade us that we couldn't POSSIBLY understand how good it is unless we actually sit in front of one (so that's the reason why a demo is not forthcoming!)

If it sucks, post that... If it doesn't, post that. (I don't care, either way).

I just want to hear what it sounds like in the hands of someone who isn't a whiney excuse maker...

#242984 - 09/20/08 02:20 PM Re: Great deal on media station
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Diki
When the T3 comes out, pop over to your local dealer and try one, (Ignore the 61 note limitation) you will be amazed at how good it sounds, and also be shaking your head in disbelief as to how much better it sounds live, compared to the online demos.
No excuses for not trying the T3 for sound (The fact it has only got 61 notes has no relevance to the sound, only how you wish to play it)
The above also applies to any other board from Entry level to TOTL.

Bill

#242985 - 09/20/08 02:55 PM Re: Great deal on media station
miden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
One can only hope that these MS's finally end up in the hands of some players that are not too embarrassed to post some user demos (having got them at bargain basement prices, they might not feel as obliged to 'defend' their purchase by silence)....

Pull them out of the box, hook up a recorder, and show us what one of these CAN do before you spend a fortune in VSTi's, and some months of work. Then after you buy the VSTi's and do the work, show us what you can do with them AFTERWARDS.

Just do us all ONE big favor... DO NOT waste our time trying to persuade us that we couldn't POSSIBLY understand how good it is unless we actually sit in front of one (so that's the reason why a demo is not forthcoming!)

If it sucks, post that... If it doesn't, post that. (I don't care, either way).

I just want to hear what it sounds like in the hands of someone who isn't a whiney excuse maker...

Diki, (and this is with the greatest of respect) you DO sometimes cast a very wide net in your posts. Perhaps, just perhaps, the by-catch amount is too high for the cast!!

Dennis

#242986 - 09/20/08 03:02 PM Re: Great deal on media station
Diki Offline

I am not the slightest bit interested in the difference between hearing the SAME thing live versus an online MP3.

I can only say that, after listening to CD's, and their equivalent MP3's (my iTunes collection) I am INTIMATELY aware of what the MP3 encoding process does to raw audio. One thing I can state without the slightest hesitation is that the encoding process has NEVER made anything that sounded great in the first place cease to sound great, and anything that sounded lousy as an MP3 didn't sound any major bit better when listened to as a CD..

In other words, if it sounds like crap on an MP3, it will NEVER sound like gold at full bandwidth. It will simply sound like slightly (very slightly!) better crap.

I am not talking about 128kbps encoded MP3's or lower. Those have long since been discounted as good quality (but the same principal applies - crap @ 128kbps never equated to gold at 44/16, just better quality crap) but 192kbps and higher (256 is my iTunes standard) is quite easy to confuse with the original, at least to the point of not altering something wonderful into something unlistenable.

But I still stand by my assertion that a stiff, poorly voiced, unnatural sounding internet demo would sound only a HAIR better in person. It would still be a stiff, poorly voiced, unnatural sounding LIVE piece of music. Not worth the drive...

I will be happy to drive to go and play a T3 in person (or a PA2Xpro), because the online demos have shown it to already be a quality sounding arranger. Until I hear a quality sounding OOTB demo from the MS or Wersi (I am NOT a 'home organ' music fan!) online, I am NOT going to drive any distance to hear those in person.

#242987 - 09/20/08 03:18 PM Re: Great deal on media station
Diki Offline

And Dennis, I stand by my remarks (always have... I don't post 'em if I don't mean 'em!)...

What reason do YOU have for all the MS owners on here refusing to post even ONE user demo?

I agree with you that, for the price, the MS will make a GREAT Receptor alternative, and wish you the best of luck with it, and look forward to hearing what it can do. But I am going to get AWFULLY suspicious if, once you get it in your hands, you suddenly join the ranks of those that hide behind the "you'll never know until you hear it in person' crowd (like the above).

Until this discount sale, there have been at least three MS owners on this forum. Not ONE of which has been able to come forward and proudly go 'look what I did with MY MS...!'

I have long taken this as very indicative of whether it IS easy or not to make great music on the MS... No-one with a T2, PA2Xpro or G70/E80 has had ANY problem feeling secure enough about their arranger's sound to post a user tune. I simply take that as, if not PROOF, certainly a strong indicator (even the designer/inventor can't manage it, or get a pro to succeed).

Hopefully, now the number that own one around here has more than doubled, we are finally going to get some reliable (read 'more than words') examples of it's capabilities and OOTB sound. OF COURSE I wasn't referring to you in the above post. You haven't got yours yet. But there is NO doubt that all those that already DO have them have been extremely reticent about backing up their gushing. I am just praying that that trend doesn't continue...

#242988 - 09/20/08 03:55 PM Re: Great deal on media station
miden Offline

Oaky m8, fair enough...But I can tell you if this MS is not what I have been led to believe, and if it does not do the things I have read about in the manuals in REAL-TERMS, then I will be the first to say so.

By the same token if it does I will also be the first to say so.

From what I have seen read and heard, I think the MS will be EXACTLY what I need.

It is not in my philosophy to defend that which is indefensible. If I make a mistake I will admit it and the reasons why I thought I made the mistake in the first place and then move on.

When I get it, it will be a warts and all opinion you get, and as I hope and expect, this should be a glowing report.

Just remember I am not really buying it for styles, they are just a bonus for me. I am looking at other areas, and the fact that the hardware is fully upgradeable (of course depending on motherboard sizes and CPU chip slot configurations) means, if all goes well I may never have to look at another keyboard again....or at least for a very long time!!!

I do believe that this is the way of the future and I hope Dom has the package right, and again from the research I have done it looks like he has in a big way.

Although, bottom-line.. I can only TRULY determine this from a "hands-on experience both playing and programming.

I have been "watching" the development of the MS for quite some time, and in the recent past the price has been a bit too high, to justify a plunge..but this offer means I can get one without any need to worry about a re-sale if it doesn't work out.

The Fatar keybed Dom has in these is quite good so it can always stay on as a controller.

For a start, on the MS I will be upgrading the ram to probably 6 gig, from the supplied 2 as I will be going pretty VST intensive.

So, yes I will be most forthright in any review I post

Cheers
Dennis

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 09-20-2008).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online