SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#241766 - 09/08/08 09:05 AM Re: What is Yamaha saying to us with a 61key T3 vs a 76 key one?
drdalet Offline

Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
Thanks for your answers.
Of course a 76-key Tyros is welcome, but I meant only for the voices that uses that range. I hardly use those voices so personally I am reasonably happy with the upper range I have now ... untill I play the "organ" of course. I used to play "the Cat" (Jimmy Smith) but I need more keys for that, so I scratched it from my repertoire.

If you want to play piano (not just the voice with accomp. but as an instrument) 61 keys is totally insufficient. 76-keys is just OK. I seldom use the piano voice so for me that is no problem. I am not a pianist anyway.

But I did forget about splitting the upper range in two separate regions, which on a Tyros is more interesting than on my PSR3000 (Right 1-2), because the Tyros has an extra voice (Right 1-3). You DO need more than 61 keys to fully make use of that. I often play voices that sound terrible in the upper region anyway, and a split wouldn't leave enough keys for another voice. But (as 'abacus' suggested for the keysplit) you can use presets for that.

BTW thanks for that instrument range. But it is not just the range of the instrument, because Yamaha didn't sample every note of that range for every instrument, that is an important thing to consider when playing a voice.

As for the left side of the board: I could never use all the chords I play in one octave, fi when I play in Bb. Even if it is possible it is not always logical. It is very strange when you hear a chord go up, while you go down on the keyboard.
Chord inversions sometimes use a different bass-note which I don't want. Sometimes I use inversions just to have the bass react differently, sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. Chord inversions are necessary anyway, also when using C - f# as the left key range.

I agree that everyone has his own style of playing and therefore different needs. But 76-keys seems on the top of the list for some people.
For me the Multipads are on the top of the list. It is really hard to program them and I think few people do use them as a sequencer like I do.
On this webpage of my site
some examples what I do with multipads and a few of my songs.
Greetz
drdalet

[This message has been edited by drdalet (edited 09-08-2008).]

#241767 - 09/08/08 10:25 AM Re: What is Yamaha saying to us with a 61key T3 vs a 76 key one?
Dnj Online   content

DR.......Bravo, really nice work enjoyed listening! We all have our own niche & I can see you found yours in music.

Thanx for sharing your work...its refreshing to hear someone acually play something instead of just reading posts.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-08-2008).]

#241768 - 09/08/08 11:01 AM Re: What is Yamaha saying to us with a 61key T3 vs a 76 key one?
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Diki,

On the S900, when the MIDI template is set so that Ch.1 is KEYBOARD, the MIDI input emulates the local keyboard 100%. Changes to styles or anything else is still accomplished from the S900 control panel.

Steve

#241769 - 09/08/08 11:16 AM Re: What is Yamaha saying to us with a 61key T3 vs a 76 key one?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Kudos to Dr. Dalet. I really like "Completion", "Simple Tune", and "Think it Over Now". Kinda gives me a Syd Barrett meets Nick Drake feel.

That's about the highest form of compliment coming from me. Drake and Barrett are two of my all time favorites.

Sorry for going off topic here, but it isn't often I hear something out of this forum that I can connect with so readily.

As far as the original idea, I must say that I haven't given very much thought to what Yamaha is saying, since I'm not interested in the T3 anyway.

AJ

#241770 - 09/08/08 12:50 PM Re: What is Yamaha saying to us with a 61key T3 vs a 76 key one?
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Oh wow. I have just finished reading your history, can't believe I just stumbled upon the website of the creator of the Muzikollage

Great site, and that last page "At home now" is really literally just the "tip of the iceberg". Thanks for sharing!

------------------
- THE DUTCH KEYBOARD FORUM
http://www.keyboardforum.nl

#241771 - 09/10/08 07:52 AM Re: What is Yamaha saying to us with a 61key T3 vs a 76 key one?
drdalet Offline

Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
Oh, thank you, guys - I didn't expect those remarks. The site was a celebration for my 50 years in music, so I made it for myself, really.
I was tired of programming my music on the computer and wanted to PLAY. So after many years of not playing at all I picked it up with the PSR3000, and very happy with it.
My aim is to be able to play everything live. So the songs you hear (on the page about the PSR3K) I can play live exactly the same. I am planning to make a video with me playing Allo Allo on the keyboard to show how I use the multipads. And I had a request to do the same with 'Funky Pads' to convince someone I did that in one take.
Thanks again for your remarks.
Herco

#241772 - 09/10/08 08:55 AM Re: What is Yamaha saying to us with a 61key T3 vs a 76 key one?
mr9000 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by YamahaUS1:
SZ is one of many forums we are watching every day." As you can tell, I pay very close attention to what goes on here. Yamaha takes all this very seriously. Yamaha is being careful.
Regards,
Steve Deming[/B]

If yamaha were "SO" concerned,it would have a playing phase of say 2-3months to work out all their bugs before letting their customers do it for them.LCD screens anyone,under powered 9000's,crapy drums,low supply of customs voice banks..ya ok.."being very careful".Why don't YOU guys work with it for a few months first and be the slightly disappointed ones first.

#241773 - 09/12/08 03:20 AM Re: What is Yamaha saying to us with a 61key T3 vs a 76 key one?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just make the damn "Tyros Pro" already. I don't care what it costs, I'll buy it. I want a Yamaha keyboard to use on 1-man gigs (arranger), but also in a band (backing), and combinations of those.

76 keys, XLR connectors, the works. I don't want many boards, I want one, and I'll pay for it! So make it.

(Before anyone suggests some other make of kb, forget about it. I want the Yamaha sound and technology. So for now it's gotta be the Tyros3. But if a "pro" model comes out in a year, they got my cash.)

#241774 - 09/12/08 04:43 AM Re: What is Yamaha saying to us with a 61key T3 vs a 76 key one?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
The thing that kills me about the Tyros, other than not having 76 keys, is that there is no Octave button dedicated for the LEFT HAND voices?????

If you want to play left hand bass, sometimes that extra Octave comes in handy. If you want to play songs like I WILL SURVIVE that has the arpeggio in the beginning, you need 76 keys.

But if your going to sell a FLAGSHIP keyboard with only 61 keys, why for crying out loud can't you put a OCTAVE button on the LEFT HAND voice??????

------------------
Al Giordano
Visit us at ARRANGER WORLD! http://www.arrangerworld.com

Korg Pa2xpro, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums, Roland TD-12 Vdrums, Roland SPD-S.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#241775 - 09/12/08 06:20 AM Re: What is Yamaha saying to us with a 61key T3 vs a 76 key one?
jwyvern Offline

Here's a quote from this link:
http://www.yamahapkowner.com/forum/index.php?topic=15384.0

"The Intro's and endings etc have been changed in many cases also and so this is where the bulk of effort went into. There is also a Piano 'Octave' button [by the modulation wheel] so that you can now play the lower octave Piano Bass notes. The Organ 'Leslie' is operated by the mod wheel also in Drawbar mode- sweet!"

Does that address the issue?

John

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online