Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#241577 - 09/03/08 07:52 AM Re: Tyros 3 manuals, datasheets etc
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
large-capacity Hard Disk Drive

I wonder if the new T3 can handle more than 80GB for the internal Hard Drive. It doesn't specify the size limit in the Manual that I could see. The T1 had a 40GB size limit whilst the T2 had an 80GB limit if I'm not mistaken. With the T3 now having USB 2.0 with its ability to import audio files a lot faster and also the ability to create audio files with the Hard Disk Recorder on the T3 up to 80 minutes in length for one song, a larger capacity Hard Drive would be recommmended and optimal to use with it. You know, like maybe up to 300GB-500GB?? If it could that would be one more good reason to get a T3 "IF" it had 76 keys of course.

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 09-03-2008).]

#241578 - 09/03/08 09:30 AM Re: Tyros 3 manuals, datasheets etc
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I would think..Yamaha is using Sata drives now, and are not limited by the drive size......but I am sure Yamaha still has restrictions on folder size(recognition)..

#241579 - 09/03/08 11:16 AM Re: Tyros 3 manuals, datasheets etc
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Highly unlikely, Fran, IMO. Computer technology takes MUCH longer to trickle down to arranger users. Remember using CF Cards on the G70? After SD had basically taken over? Or SCSI long after EIDE became the norm? And where is Firewire? The universally used connection is next to impossible to find on a hardware arranger.

By the time the Big3 gear up to use an interface, it's time is long gone! Heck, arrangers with samplers (and even WS's with samplers) are loading up samples into RAM at speeds that were surpassed in computers well over a decade ago (even my K2500 beats most modern WS's!). They use off the shelf componentry for data I/O, and those are getting harder and harder to find new ones, as most make the switch to complete computer control of I/O

#241580 - 09/04/08 03:46 AM Re: Tyros 3 manuals, datasheets etc
to the genesys Offline

What is puzzling to me is that some one would want a large hard drive on the T3.
There is no MP3 player on the T3, no real sampler, no streaming of samples from HD, and no multi track audio recording.

Thousands of midi, style and registration data can easily hold on some type of memory card or USB thumb drive.

Really, only the new Ketron, Korg Pa 2x pro are arrangers from the big 4 that can make meaningful use of a hard drive because they have audio players and have data that can and may be needed to have a hard drive.

#241581 - 09/04/08 03:54 AM Re: Tyros 3 manuals, datasheets etc
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
What is puzzling to me is that some one would want a large hard drive on the T3.
There is no MP3 player on the T3, no real sampler, no streaming of samples from HD, and no multi track audio recording.

Thousands of midi, style and registration data can easily hold on some type of memory card or USB thumb drive.

Really, only the new Ketron, Korg Pa 2x pro are arrangers from the big 4 that can make meaningful use of a hard drive because they have audio players and have data that can and may be needed to have a hard drive.

Actually, its the Yamaha which needs a bigger HD, because its audio files can only be in WAV which is approximately 10 times larger than mp3s.

#241582 - 09/04/08 05:43 AM Re: Tyros 3 manuals, datasheets etc
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
Actually, its the Yamaha which needs a bigger HD, because its audio files can only be in WAV which is approximately 10 times larger than mp3s.

But what can you do with those wave files on the Yamaha? You can record and play them back but isn't an MP3 player and recorder like what the Korg has more efficient? I seriously doubt that a standard T3 user is going to use more than 16 GB of space for instant play back. For wave storage they would most likely transfer to a computer.

#241583 - 09/04/08 08:28 AM Re: Tyros 3 manuals, datasheets etc
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
But what can you do with those wave files on the Yamaha? You can record and play them back but isn't an MP3 player and recorder like what the Korg has more efficient? I seriously doubt that a standard T3 user is going to use more than 16 GB of space for instant play back. For wave storage they would most likely transfer to a computer.

True. Yamaha screwed up here again. I thought it was obvious the T3 would include an mp3 player. As for me, I take an ipod to ever job though I do have a few albums backed up onto my keyboard as well...

What can I say, I think Yamaha really, really, lost it. The T2 added so much to the T1 (sampling, HD recorder, 42 SA sounds, and more), but what does the T3 add to the T2?

#241584 - 09/04/08 09:10 AM Re: Tyros 3 manuals, datasheets etc
keybplayer Offline

Quote:
The T2 added so much to the T1 (sampling, HD recorder, 42 SA sounds, and more), but what does the T3 add to the T2?

11 More SAV plus 11 SA2 (although in some cases derivatives of the same instrument), more Mega Voices, More Live! voices, More Cool! voices, more Sweet! voices, USB 2.0, 8 sliders with one assignable making 9 total (can also be used as drawbars for the Organ Flutes), and the two new dedicated Assignable Buttons. I'm sure there are others but I'd have to investigate further.

BTW, the Tyros3 can NOT use SATA hard drives. PATA ONLY! Parallel ATA can handle a quite large capacity in a 2.5" Drive such as 100GB-250GB, etc.

Best,
Mike

#241585 - 09/04/08 09:19 AM Re: Tyros 3 manuals, datasheets etc
keybplayer Offline

Also double the WAV ROM. >> Compressed WAV ROM though. Just like the T2/T1 wav rom is/was.

Best,
Mike

#241586 - 09/04/08 09:52 AM Re: Tyros 3 manuals, datasheets etc
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Why the issue with .wav's? At least Yamaha provide a large enough HD that using .wav's shouldn't be a problem, and you can swap out for a larger one, I would imagine.

Here you are, with presumably the best arranger on the planet (at least, that's what the fanboys will have you believe!), and you want to play crappy, lossy MP3's on it instead of nice pristine CD quality .wav files?

You can't bitch about compressed ROM waveforms on the one hand, and turn around and go 'What?! No MP3's?' on the other hand...

You can always convert your commercial karaoke tracks into .wav files, if that's what has got you all so worried.. Bet you wish you'd bought them on CD, now, instead of downloading them off of Limewire....

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online