SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#239343 - 08/03/08 12:07 PM ProKeys Sono 88...Follow up
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Some comments about the M-Audio ProKeys Sono 88....

It has been a couple weeks since I purchased this Piano/controller..I knew right away it was going to be a keeper...My thoughts have not changed..

M-Audio has put some good ideas to work on this Sono 88...Apparently learning from previous models and making improvements..

This piano was their first to offer the USB Audio/Midi interface..Also their first with the Mic inputs..and instrument inputs..The dedicated volume /level controls too..

The pretty cool routing ( direct monitoring}..

The Steinway Piano sample has turned out to be one of the best ..of the current pianos in this price range...Same with the organ..

Access to all the GM wave-tables is a great attribute too..

All this is available as a stand a lone..piano...

They were/are just a couple things short of hitting a "grand Slam" home run...

What I would like to see on a future model..maybe a software update can address these too...

The mic has a lot of gain, but has NO effects..I would have desired an effect routing for the mic..

I would have liked them to include a split keyboard mode..and made available a bass preset too..

Bump up the piano to 128 polyphony like the previous models (ProKeys sx}..instead of 40..

40 polyphony works ok, but we are spoiled by the higher numbers..

With these modifications this would make a great stand alone gigging piano...and only 17 pounds...

Although speakers would be ok..in the real world..they would not be useful for most venues..

The Sono shines with the laptop...

I use it with MixCraft4..as a host..I have pre programmed splits, layers, with my selected effects...that the Sono 88 handles well..

The ProKeys Sono 88 driver is also very good..with low latency of VST's..

I have set of several programs to run at the same time with the Sono 88..

VanBasco is set up to play the internal sound source (Sono88)..

I have One Man Band and JammerLive set up to use as an arranger (when needed)..

I am able to play any/all my MP3/wav songs into the Sono88 and controll the volumes ..independently..My real time presets from the Sono88, my mic level, and also instrument inputs..(guitar, or another mic)..There are also a pair of "ins" for another source (Zune..a mixer..CD player etc}..

All in all this is a great board for under $500..It has the piano/organ covered..and a great key feel controller to use with the laptop..

I give it a thumbs up..

#239344 - 08/04/08 04:41 AM Re: ProKeys Sono 88...Follow up
Dnj Offline

#239345 - 08/04/08 05:51 AM Re: ProKeys Sono 88...Follow up
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
And to think, I was going to consider Fran's offer to buy this time around... Oh, well maybe after that September job. By then the price should come down (or go up) considerably.

I guess I'll have to go out and check it out for myself now.

#239346 - 08/05/08 09:11 AM Re: ProKeys Sono 88...Follow up
Fran Carango Offline

Cass, I think the M-Audio ProKeys Sono 88 would be perfect for you..As a stand alone piano/organ with Mic input and aux ins too.. Read up on it ..it is a great all around piano controller...

The reason I am writing you...I have a shot at a spanking new G1000....but I have to justify buying it....$420 and this Sono 88 is yours..I will even pay the shipping....You would pay $450 plus shipping/tax from all on line stores....Still brand new condition (only 2 weeks old)..Let me know while I have the G1000 bug...Fran

Cass you have the first right of refusal...anyone else interested..if Cass passes?

#239347 - 08/05/08 10:28 AM Re: ProKeys Sono 88...Follow up
cassp Offline

Fran, you did that on purpose. See, I was only 4 days off.

Sorry, but no thanks - again. I can't justify any purchases right now. So anyone else, GO FOR IT!

#239348 - 08/05/08 11:41 AM Re: ProKeys Sono 88...Follow up
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
So anyone else, GO FOR IT!

See if you can beat Fran's record...

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 08-05-2008).]

#239349 - 08/05/08 01:54 PM Re: ProKeys Sono 88...Follow up
Fran Carango Offline

Sono88 is not available...it's still a keeper..

#239350 - 08/07/08 07:29 AM Re: ProKeys Sono 88...Follow up
cassp Offline

FRAN,

Does the Sono 88 permit playing of SMF through the USB port? In other words, could one load a song from a thumbdrive and play it? Or do you need to go thru a sequencer like Cakewalk or VanBasco?

And it's only 40 polyphony? Not even 64? M-Audio definitely has to address that.

#239351 - 08/07/08 07:50 AM Re: ProKeys Sono 88...Follow up
Fran Carango Offline

The Sono 88 does not have an on board sequencer..but does have a GM wavetable..You can play sounds from the ProKeys Sono88 via VanBasco...

40 polyphony is enough to play piano/organ without any problems...even over top of a sequence.....if you do not lay on a hold pedal it will do fine..Not too long ago we used 24 polyphony (SC-55)...

and folks here still use the Yamaha 32 voice instruments..

The Sono is a controller...and a digital piano...with cool control right on the "dashboard"..

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online