Some comments about the M-Audio ProKeys Sono 88....

It has been a couple weeks since I purchased this Piano/controller..I knew right away it was going to be a keeper...My thoughts have not changed..

M-Audio has put some good ideas to work on this Sono 88...Apparently learning from previous models and making improvements..

This piano was their first to offer the USB Audio/Midi interface..Also their first with the Mic inputs..and instrument inputs..The dedicated volume /level controls too..

The pretty cool routing ( direct monitoring}..

The Steinway Piano sample has turned out to be one of the best ..of the current pianos in this price range...Same with the organ..

Access to all the GM wave-tables is a great attribute too..

All this is available as a stand a lone..piano...

They were/are just a couple things short of hitting a "grand Slam" home run...

What I would like to see on a future model..maybe a software update can address these too...

The mic has a lot of gain, but has NO effects..I would have desired an effect routing for the mic..

I would have liked them to include a split keyboard mode..and made available a bass preset too..

Bump up the piano to 128 polyphony like the previous models (ProKeys sx}..instead of 40..

40 polyphony works ok, but we are spoiled by the higher numbers..

With these modifications this would make a great stand alone gigging piano...and only 17 pounds...

Although speakers would be ok..in the real world..they would not be useful for most venues..

The Sono shines with the laptop...

I use it with MixCraft4..as a host..I have pre programmed splits, layers, with my selected effects...that the Sono 88 handles well..

The ProKeys Sono 88 driver is also very good..with low latency of VST's..

I have set of several programs to run at the same time with the Sono 88..

VanBasco is set up to play the internal sound source (Sono88)..

I have One Man Band and JammerLive set up to use as an arranger (when needed)..

I am able to play any/all my MP3/wav songs into the Sono88 and controll the volumes ..independently..My real time presets from the Sono88, my mic level, and also instrument inputs..(guitar, or another mic)..There are also a pair of "ins" for another source (Zune..a mixer..CD player etc}..

All in all this is a great board for under $500..It has the piano/organ covered..and a great key feel controller to use with the laptop..

I give it a thumbs up..