SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#239245 - 08/02/08 05:08 PM hijacking threads
miden Offline

Loc: The World
I was reading the last couple of posts in the Tyros Its Coming Soon Thread http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/017765.html and I just wanted to get this out of that and into a thread of its own.

It seems to me that people never seem to want to use the specific forums set up by Nigel for discussions on the various brands or topics like...
Recording-PC Software-Hardware-Sampling- a Dedicated Classifieds section (why people keep posting for sale ads in the GA forum is beyoned me)- Sequencing and Styles..etc etc

Perhaps Nigel should save some $'s on bandwidth and JUST have the GA forum by itself?

It also seems that "forumistas" just want to "Air" their opinions and knowledge on the forum with the biggest "audience".

I have a feeling that certain posters who tend to "pontificate" and post in-depth posts that are more akin to a soapbox in the corner park, would not post these expansive views in the other "less-frequented forums" if no-one was going to read them. Hell, there's no fun or recognition in that is there!!

No, these folks post them where they can get the biggest audience hit.

I believe this is why these posts get hijacked so much, because everyone wants everyone else to see their opinion, and hell, why waste it on a forum that NO-ONE visits

And really, citing the fact that this is the "general arranger" forum is a just a bit too glib and simplistic for me..threads should not be hijacked to satisfy the egos of posters.

Either make comments DIRECTLY related to the OTP, don't say anything, OR start a new thread. You could even link your new thread back to the original if you wanted to, but lets not keep bogging down threads with useless and totally irrelevant information.

Dennis

#239246 - 08/02/08 05:20 PM Re: hijacking threads
kla4 Offline

Loc: NL
I second that very much Dennis !

btw did you also notice the recent 'solo threads'? (the same poster posts on and on)

[This message has been edited by kla4 (edited 08-02-2008).]

#239247 - 08/03/08 08:26 AM Re: hijacking threads
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
How about letting the forum MODERATOR decide these things for himself? Or start your own forum, and police it as tight as you want

What is fairly obvious is that SZ has always been, as it's name suggests, a 'general' forum, where discussion is about arrangers in GENERAL... So, rather than hijacking a thread, cross-pollination is actually the whole point of this place!

What IS curious though, is the apparent indignation of those that want a 'tight' policy on a 'general' forum, but let's face it, if the subject is of such narrow interest, there ARE already the very fora where you might expect a nice 'tight' membership and lack of hijacking, yet of course, for the same egotism that prompts we 'forumistas' to post our general speculation and comments, prompts these same wounded souls to post here in the first place!

Seems like PLENTY of ego to go around!

It's simple, boys and girls... If you shudder at the possibility that sadly, your cherished topic might get OT, or heaven forbid! actually hijacked (and consider that beam in your own eye before you start bitching about others' motes!), there ARE fora here at SZ, and even more focused and better populated fora for each specific manufacturer where you have a MUCH better chance of staying On Topic (although it happens even on the manufacturer specific fora)...

Ahhh, but of course, where's the fun in airing YOUR opinions (that you want On Topic, at all cost) where only those that feel like you can hear it? MUCH more fun to rag on the OTHER egotists, isn't it?

When I need something specifically Roland related, rather than a general discussion, I go to Roland-Arranger.com. I don't come here, and EXPECT it to be like Roland-Arranger, and bitch when it isn't! A forum's tone reflects the majority of it's members. Obviously, most of us here feel free to discuss things in a free-wheeling fashion, and to be honest, although many threads end up somewhere other than where they started, usually there's a reason they devolve that has SOMETHING to do with the original post. This has, as long as I've been coming here, SZ's tone.

But hey! Feel free to call everybody else's posts 'pontificating', because, heaven forbid! You wouldn't DREAM of considering your OWN posts that way, now would you? Hijacking a thread is a bad thing? How about hijacking a whole forum? If the moderator is happy with the way things are, who are you to police it?

#239248 - 08/03/08 10:08 AM Re: hijacking threads
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Hijacking a thread never bothered me here...

Most here are friends..or at least friendly..

I look at it this way...if I go to breakfast with friends ..our discussions vary and change within the duration of breakfast...I believe the "general arranger" to be the same...A thread brings out other thoughts and is still part of our conversations...

I for one would not like to see the "general arranger" get static, and not show a personal side...

You are all welcome to hijack any of my post...in fact you guys already do that.."That's what friends are for"...

Besides there is a lot to learn from someone that hijacks a thread..sometimes interesting.. and sometimes we learn more about the hijacker too..

#239249 - 08/03/08 01:18 PM Re: hijacking threads
miden Offline

Originally posted by Diki:

How about letting the forum MODERATOR decide these things for himself? Or start your own forum, and police it as tight as you want
--------------------------------------------
Its nothing to do with Nigel, you should be able to control your urges Diki.

What is fairly obvious is that SZ has always been, as it's name suggests, a 'general' forum, where discussion is about arrangers in GENERAL... So, rather than hijacking a thread, cross-pollination is actually the whole point of this place!

What is fairly obvious is that SZ is made up of quite a few more fora than just the general arranger forum, have a look one day, when you can see past your own glow.
------------------------------------------

What IS curious though, is the apparent indignation of those that want a 'tight' policy on a 'general' forum, but let's face it, if the subject is of such narrow interest, there ARE already the very fora where you might expect a nice 'tight' membership and lack of hijacking, yet of course, for the same egotism that prompts we 'forumistas' to post our general speculation and comments, prompts these same wounded souls to post here in the first place!
I come here for information on specific General ARRANGER topics. Although I do enjoy reading other comments, that are not directly arranger related, provided they are in their own space.
I expect most people have enough respect for others to keep comments to the original topic. Not be so desperate to get any opinion they may have formulated over breakfast that morning posted at all costs.
-------------------------------------------

Seems like PLENTY of ego to go around!
It's simple, boys and girls... If you shudder at the possibility that sadly, your cherished topic might get OT, or heaven forbid! actually hijacked (and consider that beam in your own eye before you start bitching about others' motes!), there ARE fora here at SZ, and even more focused and better populated fora for each specific manufacturer where you have a MUCH better chance of staying On Topic (although it happens even on the manufacturer specific fora)...
Not saying anything of the kind...Just saying if there is a thread topic stick to it, you want to digress, start a new thread.

Ahhh, but of course, where's the fun in airing YOUR opinions (that you want On Topic, at all cost) where only those that feel like you can hear it? MUCH more fun to rag on the OTHER egotists, isn't it?
Not saying anything of the kind, please do not verbalise.

When I need something specifically Roland related, rather than a general discussion, I go to Roland-Arranger.com. I don't come here, and EXPECT it to be like Roland-Arranger, and bitch when it isn't! A forum's tone reflects the majority of it's members. Obviously, most of us here feel free to discuss things in a free-wheeling fashion, and to be honest, although many threads end up somewhere other than where they started, usually there's a reason they devolve that has SOMETHING to do with the original post. This has, as long as I've been coming here, SZ's tone.

--------------------------------------------Another example of totally irrelevant comments..I never said you cannot talk about anything, and everything, I suggested that posters could put more effort into just making comments directly related to the original thread.

But hey! Feel free to call everybody else's posts 'pontificating', because, heaven forbid! You wouldn't DREAM of considering your OWN posts that way, now would you? Hijacking a thread is a bad thing? How about hijacking a whole forum? If the moderator is happy with the way things are, who are you to police it? [/B][/QUOTE]
I never said everybody's posts, just certain members, if the cap fits, And as for hijacking a whole forum? That is just plain silly.

Nigel hasn't got time to run a creche. And it is not really endemic to all members of SZ, as I said, a certain few. And it was interesting to note which two members were amongst the first to post a defence here.

[Edits were for trying to get the lines between comments correct, to try and make it easier to read.]

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 08-03-2008).]

#239250 - 08/03/08 01:34 PM Re: hijacking threads
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
I come here for information on specific General ARRANGER topics. Although I do enjoy reading other comments, that are not directly arranger related, provided they are in their own space.
I expect most people have enough respect for others to keep comments to the original topic. Not be so desperate to get any opinion they may have formulated over breakfast that morning posted at all costs.

Bravo Dennis.
Couldn't have said it better

Regards
Jørgen

------------------
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site

#239251 - 08/03/08 03:50 PM Re: hijacking threads
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I do agree that sometimes posts do end up going in a completely different direction, but isn't that because the original topic either generated a better thread or couldn't support itself? OK, so maybe another thread should/could be created, but what's the BIG DEAL? Live with it.

#239252 - 08/03/08 04:06 PM Re: hijacking threads
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Its nothing to do with Nigel, you should be able to control your urges Diki.

EXCUSE ME.... It's nothing to do with Nigel...?

It's Nigel's forum, NOT YOURS. Nigel is the ONLY person on this forum that has ANY right to tell other members what they can and cannot post, where they can post it, and where they can't.

If you can't understand this simple concept, I suggest you look up the term 'moderator', and realize you are NOT one, Dennis. You, like I, are a 'member' here, one of many.

Only forum decorum keeps me from telling you where to put your insulting suggestions, but as of now, I suggest the 'back' button, if you don't want to read further...

Your entire reply to my post was a series of instructions as to what I should and shouldn't do. Well, my megalomaniacal friend, I have absolutely no intention of paying you any more attention, than you pay me. Period.

Get your own forum, my dear Fürher, and you can play God there. Around here, you're just mortal, like the rest of us...

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 08-03-2008).]

#239253 - 08/03/08 04:38 PM Re: hijacking threads
miden Offline

Well, Diki that just about says it all really.

I can only shake my head at that outburst.

A bit sad to hear someone usually so erudite succumb to the baser instincts of revenge and spite.

I truly do read all of your posts and 99% of the time you do make good sense and for what it's worth, 99% of the time I agree with you.

But only when your posts are relevant to the topic at hand. Thats all I have said, stick to the topic.

Now this is an observation NOT a criticism but your latest post on Nick G's thread is an example, instead of just giving a simple reply to his original question you go "hijacking" it firstly with your personal opinion about MIDI in general and then you espouse the virtues of the Roland G70???

What do either of those have to do with "using an arranger with a sound module"
that give Nick the answers and advice from other users he was looking for.

Man, you have really go to get a bit of a reality check, and perhaps remember the adage "people in glass houses should not be the first to cast stones".

I have made my opinion on this perfectly clear with my previous posts, any further comment is now unneccessary.

Time to move on.

#239254 - 08/03/08 04:52 PM Re: hijacking threads
Diki Offline

Back button, Dennis... back button...

Give it a try. Keep on pushing it, mate.

You know, if this was the majority of the memberships' stated desire, I, and most here, would pay attention to your anal retentive rant. But it's a sad day when you don't realize you are in the minority, don't even care, and can't even be polite about it yourself... (read your own post, and PRETEND that I wrote it to you... feel insulted, yet? )

Possibly I'm not as erudite as you, but when someone posts something about a particular feature on a GENERAL FORUM (jeez, how many times I got to point that out? ), I would like to hear how this particular problem is addressed by ALL the different arrangers. Perhaps it is a subject that is important enough to me that, if my particular arranger can't achieve what I want, I MIGHT like to know how others handle it.

But maybe I'm more curious than anal retentive. My bad...

How about waiting to see if the original thread poster is upset about a variety of information that can barely be called OT... Oh, I forgot. You just appointed yourself Forum Moderator, didn't you?

(Still haven't hit the 'back' button?)

Mea culpa, mea culpa, maxima mea culpa...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online